• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
who knows what will happen next

no but running around doing a shitty coup was also stupid too

those are two separate things.... one lead to the other don't ignore the other just because you can't stand it

instead man up, recognize your mistake

stop jumping to conspiracy theories

My mistake? LOL I didn't write that, some people were saying it was weird or fishy and I shared it from the Reddit live thread.

Conspiracy tin-foil or not Erdogan and Islamist are ruining the country.

Admit that and we'll move on.

Jeels

who knows what will happen next

no but running around doing a shitty coup was also stupid too

those are two separate things.... one lead to the other don't ignore the other just because you can't stand it

instead man up, recognize your mistake

stop jumping to conspiracy theories

The guy deserved to go. That was consistent before this and will be consistent tomorrow. The only regret is the loss of innocent life. You can keep harping and being so transparently ugly but that doesn't change the reality that these are dark days for Turkey.

My mistake? LOL I didn't write that, some people were saying it was weird or fishy and I shared it from the Reddit live thread.

Conspiracy tin-foil or not Erdogan and Islamist are ruining the country.

Admit that and we'll move on.
I admitted that so many times I lost count

I am not sure if your serious or have been ignoring my posts
The guy deserved to go. That was consistent before this and will be consistent tomorrow. The only regret is the loss of innocent life. You can keep harping and being so transparently ugly but that doesn't change the reality that these are dark days for Turkey.

indeed dark days

This year has truly been one of the wildest year. Maybe it's because of the advent of the internet?

Good luck to people living at Turkey. I don't see a good future for them.

pgtl_10

So much salt I heard on MSNBC. Lol. Erdogan wins elections. You want to beat him then win elections. Present ideas that the public wants.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Two ways I can see this unfold over the next few days/weeks:

1- Erdogan does a small purge, and leaves it at that, mainly using this as an opportunity to increase his power but doesn't rewrite the constitution; the West turns a blind eye to it.

2- Erdogan does a big purge and rewrites the constitution. All of the Western governments tonight specifically mentioned a need to "respect the constitution", and this was probably a preemptive warning to have a reason to blast Erdogan if he doesn't hold back.

Considering what he said tonight, such as how old Turkey is finished and this is a new Turkey, it wouldn't surprise me if he went ahead and changed the constitution.

So much salt I heard on MSNBC. Lol. Erdogan wins elections. You want to beat him then win elections. Present ideas that the public wants.

There is no actual elections in Turkey anymore.

With all due respect, were you ever going to return.

Reading your posts it seemed Turkey was already fucked up.

There was a coup and the people said "no"

What Turkey were you going to return to?

Of course I was going to return, at the least back to Fethiye or Alacati and so on. With what is going on in the south east (Kurds) and the further injection of religion I've lost desire to.

1- Erdogan does a small purge, and leaves it at that, mainly using this as an opportunity to increase his power but doesn't rewrite the constitution; the West turns a blind eye to it.

2- Erdogan does a big purge and rewrites the constitution. All of the Western governments tonight specifically mentioned a need to "respect the constitution", and this was probably a preemptive warning to have a reason to blast Erdogan if he doesn't hold back.

Considering what he said tonight, such as how old Turkey is finished and this is a new Turkey, it wouldn't surprise me if he went ahead and changed the constitution.

Without a doubt #2, I'm willing to put good money on it.

z3phon

Last stand off surrendering.

5Erj0mB.png
It's a scary thought to imagine what these people will go through now.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Yes that's a brilliant idea. I wonder why no one has ever thought of that. What's that? He throws political opponents in jail, gags the press, and uses his security apparatus to clamp down on dissenters? Why shit, if only these people presented their ideas and voted, the dictator would see he is not wanted and go away.

pgtl_10

No there are elections but he wins so people act like they don't exist.

Mully

The, "new Turkey," slogan has been around for a bit according to some of his translated speeches from the past that I just watched. It's not new.

Of course I was going to return, at the least back to Fethiye or Alacati and so on. With what is going on in the south east (Kurds) and the further injection of religion I've lost desire to.

Ok.

I'm curious to see what happens tomorrow, I've been reading GAF so much that my assumption was he was hated by most of the country.

What I've seen on the news says differently, he does need to go but I think democracy will be the only way

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok.

I'm curious to see what happens tomorrow, I've been reading GAF so much that my assumption was he was hated by most of the country.

What I've seen on the news says differently, he does need to go but I think democracy will be the only way

Anyone who supported the coup would stay inside, as the coup-faction told them to, and because it makes sense. Do you think people who wanted Stalin dead would have been dumb enough to manifest in the street after a couple of tanks and a few soldiers try to revolt?

Syncytia

He's been wanting a new constitution. I would be surprised to see him not push for constitutional changes.

Hollycat

When I left home people were saying the coup had 100% won already. Now people are saying they've 100% lost. Is it a done deal, and how harsh will the president be to the participants?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
You don't pull a coup with a minority of the armed forces because of obvious reasons....

They probably hoped that after a blitz attack on some important institutions the rest of the army would follow, because they are certainly not the only ones in the army who have grievances with this government. But nobody followed and stayed in their barracks. After that failed the coup was basically over, you can't do much with such a small force.

But yeah... everything about this event is so fuckin weird. Don't even know who Erdoğan is gonna purge, not many actually partipated with the coup. And the ones who did are either in custody or death. And i don't agree with the notion that Erdoğan wil get more populair because of this. The most important factor of his popularity will be the economy and don't think this whole thing will contribute to the already waning economic situation of Turkey.

KDR_11k

Erdogan already wanted to change the constitution to change his post from a non-partisan symbolic one (which he absolutely is not obeying) to the effective ruler of the country.

Anyone who supported the coup would stay inside, as the coup-faction told them to, and because it makes sense. Do you think people who wanted Stalin dead would have been dumb enough to manifest in the street after a couple of tanks and a few soldiers try to revolt?

When the coup organizers say they have control of the country, I would expect coup supporters to go out.... Is that so crazy?

I mean, if people wanted him gone then why didn't they protest in support?

Erdogan supporters were out in masse confronting tanks.... Why were coup supporters suddenly all at home?

not to trigger godwins law

but Hitler was democratically elected

but y'know, an attack on parliament led him to become supreme leader of Germany.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
When the coup organizers say they have control of the country, I would expect coup supporters to go out.... Is that so crazy?

Erdogan supporters were out in masse confronting tanks.... Why were coup supporters suddenly all at home?

They said they had control of the country AND were imposing a curfew. No one is dumb enough to run out only to then be painted by their neighbors the following days as traitors.

Of course Erdogan supporters would come out.

Isn't being outside during a coup a good way to get killed?

For sure, you have to kick him out the right way. Trying a coup against a populist leader only makes them a martyr too.
Just look at Yingluck in Thailand. She was an idiot puppet on course to bankrupting the country while her citizens were waging a bloody civil war on the streets of the capital, but she was still super popular with the poor majority.
The elite Bangkokians funded a coup and now the country is a political black hole with its tourism tanking every month while it's neighbours grow stronger as a result.
Now the Junta is about to run a rigged referendum that will allow them a legal back door to call for a coup whenever they want. They currently control all TV and censor social media, so the majority voting next month don't really know the consequences of what they will be voting for.
Any public dissonance before the referendum leads to kidnapping and beatings by the army. No matter age of gender.

Military coup, never the answer.

They said they had control of the country AND were imposing a curfew. No one is dumb enough to run out only to then be painted by their neighbors the following days as traitors.

Of course Erdogan supporters would come out.

I guess, but now look.... Erdogan is more emboldened than ever. So again I ask, if there is a sizeable population that opposes him, now is the time to act

Isn't being outside during a coup a good way to get killed?

Perhaps but again, erdogan supporters went out -

KDR_11k

The coup troops declared curfew, the ones supporting them likely obeyed.

I don't get it

some people need to make up their minds they were for the coup

coup fails call false flag and coup was a shame

Ah yes the good old "If someone else has said so, everybody did"

I was supportive of the coup, and when everything crumbled I felt sad for the destiny that awaits them(I don't agree with how they handled things,yet not everyone was firing at will at their own brothers), because I believe their intentions were honest, but ultimately it was a desperate move and unfortunately will be the anchor that cements his domain for the years to come.

This was actually something people saw coming from miles away, as seen in this article from may: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/7/recep-tayyip-erdogan-uses-turkey-military-coup-buz/
The unrest among colonels and brigadiers was known, I mean it is not so unreasonable when you are seeing your own country getting teared piece by piece, and when you are getting used as a tool to basically commit genocide against the Kurdish people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom