• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the entire world understands those elections were rigged. It's possible he would have won anyway but not with the numbers he put up.

Pretending that Turkey is a democracy is just asinine.

What world are you living in that you think this is the case? I mean Putin can also say he won in a free and democratic election if you ignore the jailing of opposition, bias in institutions, control and influence in the media, intimidation etc. Numerous election watchers and observers stated that Erdogan did not run any sort of fair election.

You have any comments from Western governments/trustworthy NGOs talking about the election being rigged?

Military coups set democracy back decades. It's not the answer.

Seems like posters in here want to see Turkey turned into another Egypt with a military dictator installed.

Whether you like it or not, he was democratically elected in fair and free elections. It's no secret that he is a very popular leader in Turkey. Does anyone deny this other than people who only see what they want to see/conspiracy theorists?

If he starts jailing more of his opposition and banning negative commentary of him, would you start thinking he is slightly a shitty president?

orochi91

It's odd, I'm seeing Twitter reports that 5 generals and 20 odd colonels have been arrested so far.

They really fucked up not blowing Erdogan out of the sky.
They had that much senior support, and this was the end result?

Perhaps the citizens and domestic police interference is why this operation failed; have they ever interfered to this extent in previous Turkish military coups?

I read somewhere that it's in the Turkish constitution that it's the role of the secular military to stage a coup if the government is deemed too radical in Islam. Is there any truth to that? Because it isn't being reported much during this coup.

trembli0s

They had that much senior support, and this was the end result?

Perhaps the citizens and domestic police interference is why this coup failed; have they ever interfered in previous Turkish military coups?

They had the support, clearly, because fighting is still going on.

I don't know if they had the levers at the very top though which might have made things more difficult.

I also don't think they were planning on the mosques calling believers out into the streets. My guess is they thought Erdogan would flee and lose face with supporters. Instead, that face time might have saved his skin.

Arksy

If he was rigging election how come his party lost his majority?

If you're going to claim that the elections were rigged, at least provide me with some evidence.

The captured soldiers seemed mostly young, perhaps they were unable to secure enough senior support within the chain of commands. That could explain the rather shitty logistics behind such a poor uprising.

It's starting to feel like they just went "YOLO" and proceeded to launch the most ill-conceived coup in Turkish history.

This is exactly what it was, in my opinion.
Junior military officers attempted to take control themselves and hoped that the people would side with them. The higher ups definitely didn't follow this as most are yes-men to Erdogan.

This isn't the first time junior officers tried to take control. If we go by Ottoman standards junior officers attempted to take control in 1908, and succeeded in another one in 1909 and 1913.
Another junior officer coup was in 1960.

Difference is that this is the first time the coup was unsuccessful.

Also why would Turkish civilians not think it's fucked up to be asked to go stand out in the streets? At least referring to those that did.

MMaRsu

Military coups set democracy back decades. It's not the answer.

Seems like posters in here want to see Turkey turned into another Egypt with a military dictator installed.

Erdogan was already turning into a dictatorship with him in charge.

Actually, he was already acting like a dictator.

trembli0s

If he was rigging election how come his party lost his majority?

If you're going to claim that the elections were rigged, at least provide me with some evidence.

There are numerous posts in this thread showing the elections were rigged.

Look for wikiwand links. On top of that factor in that Erdogan has arrested journalists, closed opposition newspapers down, and TV channels and you can't say anything other than the system is unfair and rigged.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The captured soldiers seemed mostly young, perhaps they were unable to secure enough senior support within the chain of commands. That could explain the rather shitty logistics behind such a poor uprising.

It's starting to feel like they just went "YOLO" and proceeded to launch the most ill-conceived coup in Turkish history.

Nope, coups aren't driven by the soldiers. Their commanders probably gave the order and they just followed, probably being told they had more support than they really did.

orochi91

Erdogan defenders are insane. The guy used Nazi Germany as an effective example of a government turkey could have
As in the government power structure or emulating actual Nazi ideology?

We had a similar situation in Canada where Justin Trudeau (current PM) had said this:
The Liberal leader was asked which nation he admired most. He responded: "There's a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime."

That doesn't mean he actually wants to turn Canada into a dictatorship, akin to China.

Erdogan defenders are insane. The guy used Nazi Germany as an effective example of a government turkey could have

It's not about defending Erdogan, it's about defending the institution of democracy. If Erdogan suspends elections or puts opposition leaders under house arrest then I'd be all for a coup. I'd expect the Turkish people to support one too.

Only one or two people here are defending Erdogan. People need to stop conflating anti-putschism with Erdogan support. There's no guarantee a military coup would end up well. It could go smoothly or it could end up in total chaos (especially after factoring in Erdogan's popularity as much as some on GAF like to deny it), and the latter is the last thing we need given what's going on next door.

And now that the coup has failed, it did end up making everything worse. The plotters are idiots.

Is it not crazy? Erdogan's supporters actively ignore every wrong he does and just shrug it off? He can't do no wrong. It's impossible for the man to do any wrong, he's their shining beacon of light. There's one or two of his supporters in this very thread, would jump over a bridge for him. It's kinda scary.

People should be studying where his magic powers come from.

Islamists don't know how to rule democratically.

Cromwell

Banned
It's not about defending Erdogan, it's about defending the institution of democracy.

"We elected a Hitler-esque figure into office who is killing our own people and ruining the entire country, but he was democratically elected so we have to defend him"

Come on. There comes a time when you have to realize that democracy has failed you.

trembli0s

It's not about defending Erdogan, it's about defending the institution of democracy. If Erdogan suspends elections or puts opposition leaders under house arrest then I'd be all for a coup. I'd expect the Turkish people to support one too.

You do realize he's brought a suit against opposition leaders and wants to strip legislative immunity don't you?

He already arrested and jailed large numbers of secularists during the two big prior purges he orchestrated.

Nesotenso

From looking at the news, it doesn't seem like people in Turkey actually supported this rebellion.

From reading up on them, the AKP lost their parliamentary majority in the 2015 elections. Did international observers come out and say that the elections were not fair?

jorma

is now taking requests
One thing's for sure, both this coup attempt and BRexit was great for the GAF posters who like to use the "democratically decided" dogwhistle to show their support for theocratic dictators and nationalistic racism.

aka: "i only like democracy when it goes my way"

Let this be burned into everyone's memories. What people fear is not violence. What people fear is change.

People are fine with getting the short end of the stick, if it means they get to continue their lifestyle a little longer, regardless of whether or not they would be better off with change. The ultimate tool for change is violence, and so among other reasons it's easily met with criticism and protests. Many prisoners are content with staying prisoners. Many people in North Korea or China are content with living their lives completely dominated by their governments. If a foreign military decided to overthrow North Korea's dictatorship, their own military would fight to the death to protect it. Many of them might agree with that foreign power, but it would be change, which is absolutely something that they have to defend against.

Change is risky. Change is uncertainty.

People don't remember history. The national "reset button" doesn't mean anything to them. All it means is that there's going to be a greater change tomorrow if the coup is successful, than if Ergodan is still in power tomorrow and decides to end the lives of anyone involved in the coup. You could argue about morals all day, but morals aren't the deciding factor here.

In the end if you're a radical Islamic terrorist with a heart of gold, laying down your suicide bomb vest and living a peaceful life is scarier than dying.

Copenap

A responsible president would tell his people to say inside and be safe, not to go outsude and confront the military. Ersogan truely is disgusting.

A military putsch is not the right way though.

Why? El-Sisi was elected in 2014 via a totes legit democratic process too.

Ha, most of GAF was cheering that coup on while I was having my vindicated meltdown :p

As far as I know, Erdogan didn't ban the main opposition party and shoot protestors on sight etc. It was a contested election, the CHP was completely disorganized and unprepared as they have been for the past 15 years now, and the HDP bubble popped after they did a terrible job of disassociating themselves from the PKK. The election results weren't really surprising. Other than the western urban parts of the country, Erdogan has always been immensely popular in Turkey.

Patapwn

Secular turkey gone just like that, wow

Its what the people want unfortunately given how many support Recep after all the bullshit he's pulled. And his Islamist efforts are no secret. The modern trend of increased Islamism countinues unabated

orochi91

A responsible president would tell his people to say inside and be safe, not to go outsude and confront the military. Ersogan truely is disgusting.

The people stepped up and defended their president and government. These are incredibly brave citizens.

They could have ignored Erdogan's plea, but they opted to answer his call instead.

That's what I'm saying, and I don't understand who would listen to him and think "OK."

Macam

Banned
Now we're on our way to plumbing the depths of Godwin's law. He isn't Hitler, and you don't have to even remotely like the guy to see that. If anything, he might be closer to a modern figure like Hugo Chavez or Xi Jinping.

Erdogan has won numerous elections throughout the years, and while there were some issues with some of those per the OSCE and other orgs, it's pretty clear that he enjoys backing by a significant portion of the populace. That doesn't mean a lot of his actions, which tend to neuter vital institutions and consolidate power to his office, aren't destructive to the general welfare of the country, but let's have a little perspective here.

Jasper

Damn....

CnczhGlWcAAhSOR.jpg

CnczhGzWEAEg6rG.jpg

CnczhJSWgAAVoXC.jpg

Let this be burned into everyone's memories. What people fear is not violence. What people fear is change.

People are fine with getting the short end of the stick, if it means they get to continue their lifestyle a little longer, regardless of whether or not they would be better off with change. The ultimate tool for change is violence, and so among other reasons it's easily met with criticism and protests. Many prisoners are content with staying prisoners. Many people in North Korea or China are content with living their lives completely dominated by their governments. If a foreign military decided to overthrow North Korea's dictatorship, their own military would fight to the death to protect it. Many of them might agree with that foreign power, but it would be change, which is absolutely something that they have to defend against.

Change is risky. Change is uncertainty.

People don't remember history. The national "reset button" doesn't mean anything to them. All it means is that there's going to be a greater change tomorrow if the coup is successful, than if Ergodan is still in power tomorrow and decides to end the lives of anyone involved in the coup. You could argue about morals all day, but morals aren't the deciding factor here.

In the end if you're a radical Islamic terrorist with a heart of gold, laying down your suicide bomb vest and living a peaceful life is scarier than dying.

Brexit doesn't seem so bad now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom