• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji kabuto

When I left home people were saying the coup had 100% won already. Now people are saying they've 100% lost. Is it a done deal, and how harsh will the president be to the participants?

They took over successfully at the beginning but failed to maintain their positions due to probably bad planing at phase (what to do after taking over?), Police and civilians going against them didn't help either.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just read that the Chief of Staff (highest ranking general) has been replaced, his where abouts are still unknown. Earlier it was reported he was held captive and then freed. Things are getting even weirder.

Ah yes the good old "If someone else has said so, everybody did"

I was supportive of the coup, and when everything crumbled I felt sad for the destiny that awaits them(I don't agree with how they handled things,yet not everyone was firing at will at their own brothers), because I believe their intentions were honest, but ultimately it was a desperate move and unfortunately will be the anchor that cements his domain for the years to come.

This was actually something people saw coming from miles away, as seen in this article from may: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/7/recep-tayyip-erdogan-uses-turkey-military-coup-buz/
The unrest among colonels and brigadiers was known, I mean it is not so unreasonable when you are seeing your own country getting teared piece by piece, and when you are getting used as a tool to basically commit genocide against the Kurdish people.
Definition: Some

an unspecified amount or number of.

and before you say show some people

look through the bloody thread and read some posts.... these posts are literally full circle now for goodness sake

Ah yes the good old "If someone else has said so, everybody did"

I was supportive of the coup, and when everything crumbled I felt sad for the destiny that awaits them(I don't agree with how they handled things,yet not everyone was firing at will at their own brothers), because I believe their intentions were honest, but ultimately it was a desperate move and unfortunately will be the anchor that cements his domain for the years to come.

This was actually something people saw coming from miles away, as seen in this article from may: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/7/recep-tayyip-erdogan-uses-turkey-military-coup-buz/
The unrest among colonels and brigadiers was known, I mean it is not so unreasonable when you are seeing your own country getting teared piece by piece, and when you are getting used as a tool to basically commit genocide against the Kurdish people.
Democratically elected genocide is okay.

/s

Man Erdogan will definitely have purges in the military, looks like he'll serve out his position. When does his term end as president? (Under this constitution, before he changes it)

Just read that the Chief of Staff (highest ranking general) has been replaced, his where abouts are still unknown. Earlier it was reported he was held captive and then freed. Things are getting even weirder.

That's hard to believe Hulusi Akar is a very close asset to Erdogan, why would he even do that, you got a link?

and before you say show some people

look through the bloody thread and read some posts.... these posts are literally full circle now for goodness sake

Well you quoted a specific user and claimed that he did without providing any proof, that's where my remark is coming from, you are painting anyone that sided with the coup to be going full tinfoil hat mode, when that clearly is not the case.

chefbags

Is Obama just supporting the winner now to maintain relations or what?

I'd say that's highly likely. Obama isn't going to tarnish foreign relations quickly because of a coup. If the coup succeeded he'd have to talk to advisers for such a situation like this.

SpyGuy239

Why are the people supporting a president who address the people from a golden throne and an excessive presidential palace? Why? Do they not see where their money is going?

Madness

How much of the failure of the coup lays in the hands of the news organization that allowed Erdogan to say his peace via FaceTime?

The failure was still the military's. To not capture a populist leader like Erdogan almost a dictator and let him rally his people. He effectively neutered any opposition against him by being able to speak out freely.

So much salt I heard on MSNBC. Lol. Erdogan wins elections. You want to beat him then win elections. Present ideas that the public wants.
So much this. So surreal to see champions of "Liberal Democracy" here wanting badly to overthrow a democratically elected leader, and a hugely popular one at that.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
How much of the failure of the coup lays in the hands of the news organization that allowed Erdogan to say his piece via FaceTime?

Not much, civilians weren't the cause of the failure. The force that attempted the coup was to small and they didn't get any support from other parties.

Madness

So much this. So surreal to see champions of "Liberal Democracy" here wanting badly to overthrow a democratically elected leader, and a hugely popular one at that.

Putin is also a 'democratically' elected leader, and hugely popular, you telling me people here wouldn't cheer if he was deposed in a coup? Morsi was elected democratically and yet the world stood by as he was removed by the military in Egypt.

Yeah, wanting to overthrow a "democratic" leader who chucks political opponents in jail, intimidates the press, attacks ethnic minorities and threatens political dissenters is just shocking.

And we all know that popularity is what matters for politics!

Azzanadra

Erdogan is a shady character, his legitimacy as a "democratically elected leader" is as valid as Drake claiming he started from the bottom. These past nearing-100 pages have discussed at lengths why his claim is dubious at best. The man's a borderline dictator, he needs to be put away.

Nerokis

http://uk.businessinsider.com/turkey-istanbul-military-bridges-2016-7

This article is suggesting that the military were the religious extremists. Last night GAF was telling me that Erdogan is the extremist. Which one is it?

It doesn't suggest that anywhere. It's referring to the "state within a state" thing Erdogan is huge on, based on his suspicion that followers of Fethullah Gulen are spread throughout positions of power and acting in opposition to him in a coordinated fashion. Those people aren't necessarily "religious extremists", and the article isn't saying the military coup was lead by them. It's more contextualizing how Erdogan himself will respond to this.

If you want to pin the "extremist" label on someone, Erdogan is the best fit for it.

Pleased to see democracy win in Turkey- supporting military coups is a disgusting manipulation of the democratic process. A massive shame that 40+ people lost their lives too for a completely useless maneuver by those who orchestrated the coup.

orochi91

Awesome picture of citizens on a captured (?) tank:
gettyimages-576524736.jpg

Well you quoted a specific user and claimed that he did without providing any proof, that's where my remark is coming from, you are painting anyone that sided with the coup to be going full tinfoil hat mode, when that clearly is not the case.

Uh huh....
I'll just post this here as well:
I would say that it was never meant to work out in the first place.

The Turkish military isn't incompetent. They're an exceptionally well trained force. And they have institutional experience with multiple coups in the country's past.

When the Turkish military actually wants to overthrow a government, they know exactly how to do it. They do it swiftly. They shut down communication, they quietly arrest all members of the parliament and the cabinet before a General goes on TV to make the declaration. That's the way it's done without violence and bloodshed. Those of us old enough to remember the 80s will think back on Kenan Evren and remember that his coup successfully ended before anyone even found out there was a coup.

What happened tonight was not a coup. It was a sham. It was Erdogan realizing that he wasn't going to win a referendum for Presidency, and instead engineering an orchestrated fake coup attempt to garner sympathy, so that he can consolidate his power and entrench his dictatorial rule. We watched what little left of the Republic of Turkey die on live TV and social media broadcast tonight. Now we get to watch as Erdogan declares himself the new sultan of Turkey, and uses tonight's events as justification for imprisoning and executing anyone who dares to criticize him. Enjoy!
I don't get it

some people need to make up their minds they were for the coup

coup fails call false flag and coup was a shame
Do you see your so called statement being true

I don't.... please point out were I blamed him

Branduil

One thing's for sure, both this coup attempt and BRexit was great for the GAF posters who like to use the "democratically decided" dogwhistle to show their support for theocratic dictators and nationalistic racism.

damisa

This will be looked back on as the end of the good old days, it's all downhill for Turkey after this. Moderate/secular people should leave the country ASAP.

Arkeband

Banned
Whether you like it or not, he was democratically elected in fair and free elections. It's no secret that he is a very popular leader in Turkey. Does anyone deny this other than people who only see what they want to see/conspiracy theorists?

I'm pretty sure the entire world understands those elections were rigged. It's possible he would have won anyway but not with the numbers he put up.

Pretending that Turkey is a democracy is just asinine.

One thing's for sure, both this coup attempt and BRexit was great for the GAF posters who like to use the "democratically decided" dogwhistle to show their support for theocratic dictators and nationalistic racism.

??

Look man, I don't want to derail the thead but brexit was a fair vote

Are you suggesting that it was akin to dictators deciding the vote?

orochi91

That and the timing, why would you make your move at plain rush hour, makes no sense, unless they are not well trained or like I said just desperate.
The captured soldiers seemed mostly young, perhaps they were unable to secure enough senior support within the chain of commands. That could explain the rather shitty logistics behind such a poor uprising.

It's starting to feel like they just went "YOLO" and proceeded to launch the most ill-conceived coup in Turkish history.

yeah Brexit voters should've been contained and shot at by the military too

I am anti Brexit by the way

Madness

Whether you like it or not, he was democratically elected in fair and free elections. It's no secret that he is a very popular leader in Turkey. Does anyone deny this other than people who only see what they want to see/conspiracy theorists?

What world are you living in that you think this is the case? I mean Putin can also say he won in a free and democratic election if you ignore the jailing of opposition, bias in institutions, control and influence in the media, intimidation etc. Numerous election watchers and observers stated that Erdogan did not run any sort of fair election.

Erdogan is a shady character, his legitimacy as a "democratically elected leader" is as valid as Drake claiming he started from the bottom. These past nearing-100 pages have discussed at lengths why his claim is dubious at best. The man's a borderline dictator, he needs to be put away.

He was elected fairly wasn't he? If that is what the majority of Turkish people want let them have it.

trembli0s

The captured soldiers seemed mostly young, perhaps they were unable to secure enough senior support within the chain of commands. That could explain the rather shitty logistics behind such a poor uprising.

It's starting to feel like they just went "YOLO" and proceeded to launch the most ill-conceived coup in Turkish history.

It's odd, I'm seeing Twitter reports that 5 generals and 20 odd colonels have been arrested so far.

They really fucked up not blowing Erdogan out of the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom