• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windam

Scaley member
There were no mistletoes, it was Halloween.

But close enough.

I'll just say that when you arrive at a house party where girls are already just walking around in bras, you know it's gonna be a good night.

Damn you must have had one hell of a mask on, man.

Agreed, Windam. It isn't funny. It's annoying
and kinda trashy
. Complete lack of self-control.

I don't drink like that.

Well, only if everyone does.

I've only forgotten what happened during a night ONCE. Maybe twice.

Though to be fair that was probably the greatest night of my life. The few bits I remember at least. :lol

"unfortunately, I wasn't able to drink the memory of our Game 7 loss against Boston out of my memory."

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Blacked out July last year. Drank hall a bottle of vodka in a very small amount of time. My profile pic was taken just before the blackout began. Have never gotten that drunk before or since.
Super agro Lisa is not a good Lisa

Damn you must have had one hell of a mask on, man.

XjYPRoO.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh goody, drunk logic!

It's not though. I mean, I also don't see the appeal of weed and I've never tried it. If I tried it and it had a positive effect then I might be able to see the appeal? That doesn't mean I'm going to try it, but the logic is sound.

Windam

Scaley member
I've tried pot a couple of times and I still don't understand the "appeal" of smoking it. Seems really stupid to me. I wouldn't recommend it, but that's just me.

AcridMeat

Banned
Blacking out is the goddamn worst. Stopped drinking after a particularly bad/embarrassing one.
Yes. Truly. Though it's
It's not though. I mean, I also don't see the appeal of weed and I've never tried it. If I tried it and it had a positive effect then I might be able to see the appeal? That doesn't mean I'm going to try it, but the logic is sound.
Going to get a little January in here, I can understand why people enjoy certain things that I don't share interest in. It's easier to say that when I've had personal experience myself, that's how I am, I like to be able to speak from my own life experiences. With that said, it's hard to take opinions seriously when people aren't able to play devil's advocate with the party they're against.

My point is be open to experiences and you'll gain more wisdom and come across as a nicer more accepting individual. I'm not saying go out and get drunk. But if you start to argue about something without having such credibility it's hard to take such arguments seriously.

It's why I jokingly did the constructive edit on robotninja's post.

Except that the queens do suck as much as everyone says and clydefrog should feel bad.

usea

Dear fake gaf / real pic gaf / livejournal

There's a girl that clearly likes me among a group of friends I hang out with. I'm not really interested in her for a variety of reasons, but I like hanging out with her as a friend. I don't really know how to communicate that I'm not interested other than by keeping my flirting to a minimum.

I've been doing a really bad job so far. I think I might be leading her on, as we've been spending a lot of time together for a few weeks. I'm just bad at rejecting people. Like, the thought of it makes me ill.

I.. Can't believe you and I sort of agree on something for once LOL!

I mean I've been drunk before.. But I generally dislike drinking and do it very seldom. o_o

*shrug*

Also, I played the first two tutorial games of league.

Meh.

I'll reserve judgement until I play an online match though

Wazzy

Banned
Dear fake gaf / real pic gaf / livejournal

There's a girl that clearly likes me among a group of friends I hang out with. I'm not really interested in her for a variety of reasons, but I like hanging out with her as a friend. I don't really know how to communicate that I'm not interested other than by keeping my flirting to a minimum.

I've been doing a really bad job so far. I think I might be leading her on, as we've been spending a lot of time together for a few weeks. I'm just bad at rejecting people. Like, the thought of it makes me ill.
It's difficult because you don't want to push them away or embarrass them by bringing it up.

I'm thinking discuss someone else you're interested in and hopefully that can be a nicer way of letting her down and maybe she can take the hint.

It's difficult because you don't want to push them away or embarrass them by bringing it up.

I'm thinking discuss someone else you're interested in and hopefully that can be a nicer way of letting her down and maybe she can take the hint.

I hope women don't think this works well with guys.

Wazzy

Banned
I hope women don't think this works well with guys.
What works well is entirely dependant on the person.

When you're friends with someone, no one ever wants to hurt or embarrass them. I'm not even sure why you're a) generalizing men like that and b) what your point is

In fact, I'm curious as to how you think would be the best way to handle something like this.

What works well is entirely dependant on the person.

When you're friends with someone, no one ever wants to hurt or embarrass them. I'm not even sure why you're a) generalizing men like that and b) what your point is

In fact, I'm curious as to how you think would be the best way to handle something like this.

Easy there, killer. It was (mostly) a joke.

Though, to me, at least, a girl talking to a guy about someone they like if they've been somewhat led on like he says he feels like he may have been doing is probably not always the best course. I would imagine it's the same across both genders. If you've led someone on, suddenly saying "yeah, I like so-and-so" would probably be a bit of a smack in the face.

I haven't really been in that position more than once. I accidentally did that and just flat-out told them, look, I didn't mean to lead you on, but I'm not interested beyond that. I always try to make it abundantly clear to most friends what my intentions are from the start so I can avoid awkward situations in the future.

In my case, I'm relatively certain she appreciated the honesty and me saying "my bad". I certainly think she might have been upset had she been led on and then I just suddenly started talking about who I liked to her.

Might be a decent course of action if the leading her on thing hadn't happened in his case, but he thinks he led her on, so I don't know if that'd be the best way to go about it.

Wazzy

Banned
Easy there, killer. It was (mostly) a joke.

Though, to me, at least, a girl talking to a guy about someone they like if they've been somewhat led on like he says he feels like he may have been doing is probably not always the best course. I would imagine it's the same across both genders. If you've led someone on, suddenly saying "yeah, I like so-and-so" would probably be a bit of a smack in the face.

I haven't really been in that position more than once. I accidentally did that and just flat-out told them, look, I didn't mean to lead you on, but I'm not interested beyond that. I always try to make it abundantly clear to most friends what my intentions are from the start so I can avoid awkward situations in the future.

In my case, I'm relatively certain she appreciated the honesty and me saying "my bad". I certainly think she might have been upset had she been led on and then I just suddenly started talking about who I liked to her.

Might be a decent course of action if the leading her on thing hadn't happened in his case, but he thinks he led her on, so I don't know if that'd be the best way to go about it.
I think honesty works depending on the relationship. My own personal feelings, a friend telling me they think I liked them but they don't return the feelings would make the friendship after very uncomfortable. It's not that it's because they don't feel the same but more that they noticed and brought it up.

Sometimes doing it through other means is better. Like, if you're cutting off the person and you're only okay friends with them, I see no reason to hide behind lies but rather just be straight up with them.

A close friend? It's going to be tough no matter how you handle it. We've had an experience like that with our group of friends and we did it the way of what I suggested and it worked out well.

I think honesty works depending on the relationship. My own personal feelings, a friend telling me they think I liked them but they don't return the feelings would make the friendship after very uncomfortable. It's not that it's because they don't feel the same but more that they noticed and brought it up.

Sometimes doing it through other means is better. Like, if you're cutting off the person and you're only okay friends with them, I see no reason to hide behind lies but rather just be straight up with them.

A close friend? It's going to be tough no matter how you handle it. We've had an experience like that with our group of friends and we did it the way of what I suggested and it worked out well.

Maybe it's just my own opinion as a guy (what I'd prefer) clouding my opinion of how well honesty would work. Though, in my case, I noticed and ignored it until they brought it up. That might have been odd had I mentioned it first and said something.

I can't think of a situation where I'd cut the person off completely because of that, though. If they choose to afterwards, that's their choice, but I don't think I'd cut someone off just because they were interested and I wasn't.

Close friends are tricky. Now that you mention that, I've been on both sides of that. I feel like it makes things awkward for a week or two, but more often than not, if you're actually close friends, both parties just move on and go back to being close friends.

Wazzy

Banned
Maybe it's just my own opinion as a guy (what I'd prefer) clouding my opinion of how well honesty would work. Though, in my case, I noticed and ignored it until they brought it up. That might have been odd had I mentioned it first and said something.

I can't think of a situation where I'd cut the person off completely because of that, though. If they choose to afterwards, that's their choice, but I don't think I'd cut someone off just because they were interested and I wasn't.

Close friends are tricky. Now that you mention that, I've been on both sides of that. I feel like it makes things awkward for a week or two, but more often than not, if you're actually close friends, both parties just move on and go back to being close friends.
I guess it also depend on insecurities. Other people might feel the friendship is damaged because they're not on the same page. They might think the person is uncomfortable even when they're not or for them it might be awkward. I guess I just think the semi lie bypasses the awakard stage and generally leaves it at friends. Both ways could end poorly, I suppose.

I guess it also depend on insecurities. Other people might feel the friendship is damaged because they're not on the same page. They might think the person is uncomfortable even when they're not or for them it might be awkward. I guess I just think the semi lie bypasses the awakard stage and generally leaves it at friends. Both ways could end poorly, I suppose.

Mm. Like I said, I think it also depends on how close the friendship was to begin with as well. Less close before makes it easier to damage more badly and for a longer amount of time.

AcridMeat

Banned
Given what you posted usea I'd say try for the easiest letdown you can get away with while still getting the message across.

Do it in a lightened mood or setting and don't let it linger after the fact. The quicker you go back to having fun as friends the quicker you show that you still genuinely want to continue being friends as you are now.

Given what you posted usea I'd say try for the easiest letdown you can get away with while still getting the message across.

Do it in a lightened mood or setting and don't let it linger after the fact. The quicker you go back to having fun as friends the quicker you show that you still genuinely want to continue being friends as you are now.

I'd also say "sorry if I led you on, it wasn't my intent" or something. Make them not feel bad. Just shift the blame a bit to you if you're fine with that. It'll make it a bit easier on the other person, I think.

Welcome to my world though, usea. Really just not interested in dating and haven't been for twoish years now. Have had to explain this and do this shit multiple times. And have admittedly been on the other side of it once. Never gets old...

Wazzy

Banned
I'm curious as to what kind of flirting you both were doing. I don't think it's entirely fair to blame yourself when many friendships contain flirting but don't mean anything more.

Sometimes it can be their fault for reading too much into it. I know they can't always help it when reading into things but it's still on them.

Either way, it's a tough situation and if you still really want this friendship, I hope it turns out well. I just hope you find the(as Acrid said) easiest way to let her down. You should decide which approach would work better for you.

Bed time for me. I'll check out the response tomorrow. Night y'all.

I'm curious as to what kind of flirting you both were doing. I don't think it's entirely fair to blame yourself when many friendships contain flirting but don't mean anything more.

Sometimes it can be their fault for reading too much into it. I know they can't always help it when reading into things but it's still on them.

Either way, it's a tough situation and if you still really want this friendship, I hope it turns out well. I just hope you find the(as Acrid said) easiest way to let her down. You should decide which approach would work better for you.

Bed time for me. I'll check out the response tomorrow. Night y'all.

In my case, I always tend to read too much into the flirting shit. I always try not to, but you know. That's what's caused the one weird situation I've had that I caused where I was interested. Also probably what caused the rest where other people were interested, except the other person read too much into me doing that. I feel like a lot of people are bad at reading the flirting correctly as to whether or not it's just friendly or something more.

I almost wonder if he'd be better off just not doing that at all and letting himself get a little closer as a friend before addressing it if he can help it. A closer friendship might make that easier to weather in the end. Then again, he might not be able to avoid addressing it until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom