• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I learned skiing before I learned ice skating. I'm better at skiiing, too. All depends on what age you learn it at I guess...

Smiley90

If there's one thing I gotta say is that everyone here (in Vancouver) sucks at floorball.

Seriously.

I played rep hockey for 6 years, so I've been skating since I was really little :]. Power skating was the worst, but most helpful thing to go through for hockey -_-.

And I love rollerblading. I bladed the seawall last summer!

I know how to ski, but I think I've just been skating for so long that it comes much easier to me than skiing.

TrueNorth

Neo Member
I never could manage to stay upright on rollerskates. But rollerblades? I'd zoom around on those puppies with my Discman (yes, I'm old) with no problem. Never made sense to me how I could balance perfectly on inline skates. Four wheels in a square seem intuitively more balancey to me, but I'd fall on my arse every time I tried.

Smiley90

I never could manage to stay upright on rollerskates. But rollerblades? I'd zoom around on those puppies with my Discman (yes, I'm old) with no problem. Never made sense to me how I could balance perfectly on inline skates. Four wheels in a square seem intuitively more balancey to me, but I'd fall on my arse every time I tried.

maybe 'cause with inline skates you can have them angled to the inside when moving, while rollerblades are supposed to stay straight?

I have no idea, I've never used rollerblades. inline skates/ice skates is where it's at.

Geido

I'm Dutch, ice-skating kind of originated here. So I've been ice skating since before I can remember. Pretty good at it as well.

Never skied before, but I did go snowboarding once, which was difficult as hell and gave me muscle pains in places I didn't know I had muscles. It was fun though, I should do that more often.

Wazzy

Banned
We can skype again ahhhhhhhh!

SxyngQ8.gif

But of course.
YASSSS thank you!

Gurlllll I posted that one a few pages ago. Funniest one by far.

TrueNorth

Neo Member
maybe 'cause with inline skates you can have them angled to the inside when moving, while rollerblades are supposed to stay straight?

I have no idea, I've never used rollerblades. inline skates/ice skates is where it's at.

The one time I tried iceskating I did pretty well too. Even got going backwards my first try. I never had any problem with roller blades, it was the 4 wheeled roller skates I could never get.

Smiley90

Innebandy! Used to play it all the time in school, though I was pretty useless.

haha yeah, it's very much a "cold European countries" sport. Aka Sweden/Switzerland and then the rest of Scandinavia. :lol

One of my buddies here plays it in a "beer league" style and I went to their practice. I hadn't played in like 4 years and... yeah, people here aren't very good at it :lol

Geido

...... wat. no. just no.

A skate can slide over ice because the ice molecules at the surface cannot properly bond with the molecules of the mass of ice beneath and thus are free to move like molecules of liquid water. These molecules remain in a semiliquid state, providing lubrication.[12][13][14][15][16]

It had long been believed that ice is slippery because the pressure of an object in contact with it causes a thin layer to melt. The hypothesis was that the blade of an ice skate, exerting pressure on the ice, melts a thin layer, providing lubrication between the ice and the blade. This explanation, called "pressure melting", originated in the 19th century. This, however, did not account for skating on ice temperatures lower than −3.5°C, whereas skaters often skate on lower-temperature ice. In the 20th century, an alternative explanation, called "friction heating", was proposed, whereby friction of the material was causing the ice layer melting. However, this theory also failed to explain skating at low temperature. In fact, neither explanation explained why ice is slippery when standing still even at below-zero temperatures.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_skating

Smiley90

Wikipedia is bad and you should feel bad

See: http://lptms.u-psud.fr/membres/trizac/Ens/L3FIP/Ice.pdf

read the chapter that starts after "Melting below zero"

basically, the closer you are to 0C from below zero, the less force is required to pull two sheets of ice that are touching apart, indicating that there is a liquid sheet inbetween them that is responsible for the smoothness.

--> there is a liquid sheet of water on top of the ice, even below 0C and without anyone exerting pressure on it.

TrueNorth

Neo Member
It might be genetic, I can't skate with regular skates either. Roller blades I'm amazing on.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm knock kneed. Are you knock kneed? Or do you have straight legs? I don't remember. Besides, not in the habit of checking your legs.

Geido

Wikipedia is bad and you should feel bad

See: http://lptms.u-psud.fr/membres/trizac/Ens/L3FIP/Ice.pdf

read the chapter that starts after "Melting below zero"

basically, the closer you are to 0C from below zero, the less force is required to pull two sheets of ice that are touching apart, indicating that there is a liquid sheet inbetween them that is responsible for the smoothness.

--> there is a liquid sheet of water on top of the ice, even below 0C and without anyone exerting pressure on it.

I think the article delves pretty deep into the workings of the liquid layer, but not the 'why'.

It tells us that ice is slippery because of the liquid layer of molecules that can't merge with the rest of the ice, but it is unknown why that liquid layer even exists. Right? The big question is why the solid state of water isn't completely solid. Even well below zero degrees.

But I'm not a scientist and I'm sleepy. So I might be missing something.

Although I can just throw out a theory about the interaction with the air (containing water in a gaseous state) above the ice. solid state and gaseous state changing into each other because of the difference in temperature between the two, in a neverending cycle that creates a small layer of liquid (the intermediate state between the two).

Sounds legit in my head.

Smiley90

I think the article delves pretty deep into the workings of the liquid layer, but not the 'why'.

It tells us that ice is slippery because of the liquid layer of molecules that can't merge with the rest of the ice, but it is unknown why that liquid layer even exists. Right? The big question is why the solid state of water isn't completely solid. Even well below zero degrees.

But I'm not a scientist and I'm sleepy. So I might be missing something.

Although I can just throw out a theory about the interaction with the air (containing water in a gaseous state) above the ice. solid state and gaseous state changing into each other because of the difference in temperature between the two, in a neverending cycle that creates a small layer of liquid (the intermediate state between the two).

Sounds legit in my head.

Because that's how the physics work? You observe something, you perform experiments that try to explain it with math, and tada you have physics. The liquid layer on top can't merge with the rest of the ice, that's exactly it. Is that not a "why" enough? I mean, I'm not a physicist and don't know that much about ice, but molecules being unable to merge is a decent enough explanation for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom