• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
The book. Didn't enjoy it at all so I didn't bother with the film.
As someone who enjoyed it quite a bit. I can understand not liking it at all. There's a lot to dislike about it, namely Ramona being fucking horrible.

Acid, what the hell am I doing listening to Midnight Brown. I think Jeff might be a sociopath.

Oh but Wright's direction of The World's End wasn't that good. It ended my world as I knew it.

marrec

Banned
The book is kind of insufferable in an intentional way. I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it. The movie though... it's something else. As much as I like what they did with Watchmen, I think Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is better. Edgar Wright is a magic man.

Oh but Wright's direction of The World's End wasn't that good. It ended my world as I knew it.

You're telling lies. The World's End is almost as good as Hot Fuzz.

Wazzy

Banned
The book. Didn't enjoy it at all so I didn't bother with the film.
I love the movie but didn't care much for the books. The biggest problem is Michael Ceramic but he still does a decent job.

The movie is visually enjoyable.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Keep it that way then. The film is good imo but it's way worse than the books.

835.gif

I think Scott Pilgrim has a specific tone to it that may or may not resonate with people.

It does help if you have ever been or felt like a layabout 20-something that isn't doing anything with their life but doesn't realize it.

Edit: Specifically referring to the comic here.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The World's End... I dunno, it just didn't click with me.

Yeah, World's End was weak, especially in comparison with something like Hot Fuzz.

I think if World's End was his only film people would be over the moon about it.

AcridMeat

Banned
The book is kind of insufferable in an intentional way. I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it. The movie though... it's something else. As much as I like what they did with Watchmen, I think Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is better. Edgar Wright is a magic man.

You're telling lies. The World's End is almost as good as Hot Fuzz.
Whoa, don't get carried away here. Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz are a holy trinity. I don't care if World's End was the third part of the trilogy.

Spaced demonstrates his brilliance the best.

marrec

Banned
Whoa, don't get carried away here. Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz are a holy trinity. I don't care if World's End was the third part of the trilogy.

Spaced demonstrates his brilliance the best.

Spaced was good but that was Proto-Wright. I think The World's End is the perfect capstone in the Blood and Cornetto Trilogy and holds up just as well as Hot Fuzz and way better than Shaun of the Dead.

Acid08

Banned
Spaced is the best. Shaun is incredible. Hot Fuzz is amazing and still gets better each time I see it. World's End is also amazing. Thought it was an appropriate evolution of his storytelling.

In related things: Attack The Block is fucking aaaaaaaaaamazing.

Hot Fuzz frustrates me because I can never find it on any streaming service I own when I want to watch it and never buy it because I think it will be on Netflix sometime soon for no apparent reason.

Acid08

Banned
Spaced was good but that was Proto-Wright. I think The World's End is the perfect capstone in the Blood and Cornetto Trilogy and holds up just as well as Hot Fuzz and way better than Shaun of the Dead.
Spaced is "good" hahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaohmanhahahahahahahahahahaha

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hot Fuzz frustrates me because I can never find it on any streaming service I own when I want to watch it and never buy it because I think it will be on Netflix sometime soon for no apparent reason.

It's on Netflix though.

Netflix Canada.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

8QQVm.gif

So i'm not the only one. I just can't love that movie.

AcridMeat

Banned
iKSk5cfJrsgGY.gif

We must have seen two different movies. I just had a lengthy discussion with someone on why World's End was disappointing, as one of SP/NF/EW's biggest fans.

marrec

Banned

When we got a PS4 (our first Blu-Ray device) the first Blu-Ray we bought for it was Hot Fuzz. It's probably me and FKs favorite comedy.

I am excited for Edgar Wright's Ant-Man.

You and me both, especially after seeing the actions scenes in The World's End.

Spaced is "good" hahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaohmanhahahahahahahahahahaha

I mean, compared to the trilogy.

marrec

Banned
iKSk5cfJrsgGY.gif

We must have seen two different movies. I just had a lengthy discussion with someone on why World's End was disappointing, as one of SP/NF/EW's biggest fans.

Well, for you specifically, why was it disappointing?

I can talk about why I loved it, but I want to hear why it disappointed you. And don't you dare mention the shitty cornetto cameo cause I'll drive to your house and burn it down.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Shaun of the Dead > Hot Fuzz > World's End

Though the more often you watch it, the better Hot Fuzz gets. Not sure if it's the same with World's End, I haven't rewatched it yet.

marrec

Banned
Shaun of the Dead > Hot Fuzz > World's End

Though the more often you watch it, the better Hot Fuzz gets. Not sure if it's the same with World's End, I haven't rewatched it yet.

Hot Fuzz > World's End > Scott Pilgrim vs. The World > Shaun of the Dead

They're all very good though.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy Shaun of the Dead but it's just not as good as Hot Fuzz. It's funny and very well directed, don't get me wrong... but it feels... more traditional.

I know exactly how you feel, Shaun of the Dead was funny some moments, but Hot Fuzz nailed everything.

marrec

Banned
IFor me, Worlds End just didn't hit the same notes as the other two did. It was decent, but not as good as Shaun of the Dead or Hott Fuzz. I'd rank them in order, honestly. Shawn>Hot Fuzz>World's End

BETRAYAL!

Hot Fuzz is, honestly, the best comedy ever made. It gets SO MUCH better with each viewing. Shaun is great, but it doesn't really get much better. The Worlds End, having seen it only once, is already better than Shaun because of how personal it is... well that and the Sci-Fi allusions are perfect. Body Snatchers + Coming to grips with maturity is SO FUCKING PERFECT.

AcridMeat

Banned
You know what?

I'm okay with admitting that I liked Paul.

AND

I liked Run Fatboy Run.
I enjoyed both of those a lot. I'm glad we agree on something haha.
Well, for you specifically, why was it disappointing?

I can talk about why I loved it, but I want to hear why it disappointed you. And don't you dare mention the shitty cornetto cameo cause I'll drive to your house and burn it down.
I'll preface it by saying I had been waiting for the it for years, as they're my favorite trio in film.

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are very distinct and clear in their inspiration. Dead being an love letter to horror movies, and Hot Fuzz for action. The World's End, when I saw it, didn't have an obvious inspiration or homage aspect. That's fine, but it's straying away from what the other two are so good at. If there is a clear inspiration enlighten me I may have missed it entirely! (Apart from the body snatchers later on)

Then there's the plot. At first it appears like it's going to be a life lesson for Simon Pegg's character in the midst of a wild night. I loved the role reversal in it between Frost and Pegg by the way. Then it plays on the fact that their lovable hometown has changed, a nod to how times change and possibly poking fun at nostalgia. That's fine and good, and you have the golden mile. Then it breaks down to basically what happened in Hot Fuzz, but with barely any development of characters. In Hot Fuzz, you get introductions to all sorts of characters and have an idea of how the quaint town operates. In this, it's just sort of told and just trust us this is weird because obviously it is they're robots look blue guts!

So then what does the movie become about? Fighting off these aliens I guess. Sure whatever, that happens, then what? A funny exchange and then all of a sudden Simon Pegg's character continues to have no development and he's actually bad ass again.

Sweet.
I thought it was okay, but given that the first 20 minutes or so was full of jokes that sadly fell flat for me it just wasn't what I thought it would be. Hence disappointment.

Shaun haters ugh. I think the only movie I've seen more times and still love too is Empire Strikes Back.
Shaun of the Dead, Star Wars trilogy, and Cool Runnings for me.

Acid08

Banned
I've actually never seen Attack the Block.

AND I'M PERFECTLY OKAY WITH DOUBLE POSTING.
ATTACK THE BLOCK IS AMAZING

It's the most wonderful sci-fi movie in the past decade. Really cool effects, characters that aren't all minority stereotypes. NICK FROST. Watchitwatchitwatchit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom