• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

One thing Edgar Wright is amazing at is action. The World's End had better action than most action movies. Antman will be awesome!

AcridMeat

Banned
One thing Edgar Wright is amazing at is action. The World's End had better action than most action movies. Antman will be awesome!
I'm pretty excited to see Ant-man too. The action in Scott Pilgrim is pretty good too.
I've only seen each movie once :/

But I really, really liked Hot Fuzz and Shaun, World's End (despite having awesome amounts of Martin Freeman) just didn't...I dunno, it wasn't as funny to me :/
Fiction understands. :D

marrec

Banned
I enjoyed both of those a lot. I'm glad we agree on something haha.
I'll preface it by saying I had been waiting for the it for years, as they're my favorite trio in film.

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are very distinct and clear in their inspiration. Dead being an love letter to horror movies, and Hot Fuzz for action. The World's End, when I saw it, didn't have an obvious inspiration or homage aspect. That's fine, but it's straying away from what the other two are so good at. If there is a clear inspiration enlighten me I may have missed it entirely! (Apart from the body snatchers later on)

Then there's the plot. At first it appears like it's going to be a life lesson for Simon Pegg's character in the midst of a wild night. I loved the role reversal in it between Frost and Pegg by the way. Then it plays on the fact that their lovable hometown has changed, a nod to how times change and possibly poking fun at nostalgia. That's fine and good, and you have the golden mile. Then it breaks down to basically what happened in Hot Fuzz, but with barely any development of characters. In Hot Fuzz, you get introductions to all sorts of characters and have an idea of how the quaint town operates. In this, it's just sort of told and just trust us this is weird because obviously it is they're robots look blue guts!

So then what does the movie become about? Fighting off these aliens I guess. Sure whatever, that happens, then what? A funny exchange and then all of a sudden Simon Pegg's character continues to have no development and he's actually bad ass again.

Sweet.

Here's how I see it.

The first 1/3rd of the movie is really the same as the last 2/3rds with Simon Pegg's character having to come to grips with the reality that his friends have all been replaced with normal and mature human beings. Pegg's character isn't about him individually but is more a representation of an ideal... which is why he can't really develop beyond what he is. That's why they refer to him as 'King of the Humans' he's supposed to be a representation of humanity in all it's awfulness and goodness.

Really the movie is about change and the constants that run throughout that change. I'm 28 now, I have a 7 year old son and a nice job, but I'm still Pegg's character in a way.

ubl5umG.gif

That may have been a subconsciously intentional pun.

marrec

Banned
I mean, it's very telling that they're very first brawl is with
a current age version of who they were in the past.

God I love that movie.

I want to see Edgar Wright work more in the medium of science fiction.

AcridMeat

Banned
Here's how I see it.

The first 1/3rd of the movie is really the same as the last 2/3rds with Simon Pegg's character having to come to grips with the reality that his friends have all been replaced with normal and mature human beings. Pegg's character isn't about him individually but is more a representation of an ideal... which is why he can't really develop beyond what he is. That's why they refer to him as 'King of the Humans' he's supposed to be a representation of humanity in all it's awfulness and goodness.

Really the movie is about change and the constants that run throughout that change. I'm 28 now, I have a 7 year old son and a nice job, but I'm still Pegg's character in a way.
That's certainly true.
The issue I have with that is. If that's the message you want to have in your film, then a comedy isn't the genre to do it with. The main group are developed are the most serious I can recall. The fact that the silly shit is happening around them just comes off as jarring and muddles the point it's making. I like that overall message, but I don't think the film built around it is good.
Like I said, it was the least funny out of the trilogy and I was actually really sad I wasn't laughing as much as I did with the previous films.

I'm still going to watch everything Wright puts out. Love that man. Agree that he should do more science fiction.

Spaced is still the best, come on though.

marrec

Banned
That's certainly true.
The issue I have with that is. If that's the message you want to have in your film, then a comedy isn't the genre to do it with. The main group are developed are the most serious I can recall. The fact that the silly shit is happening around them just comes off as jarring and muddles the point it's making. I like that overall message, but I don't think the film built around it is good.
Like I said, it was the least funny out of the trilogy and I was actually really sad I wasn't laughing as much as I did with the previous films.

I'm still going to watch everything Wright puts out. Love that man.

Spaced is still the best, come on though.

Hot Fuzz is the best, then World's End, then Spaced, then Scott, then Shaun of the Dead.

They're all so very good though.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind listening to a podcast about speculative futurism or something, but this podcast is about the past and the past is just the future only really, really late.

Edit: or early? I don't know, past sucks.

marrec

Banned
I wouldn't mind listening to a podcast about speculative futurism or something, but this podcast is about the past and the past is just the future only really, really late.

The past is really just a distorted reflection of the future.

Or something.

Seriously though, it's a good podcast. Best way I've ever heard or read history presented and I'm a history buff.

Edit:

Man, I'm talking about a lot of Best Ofs tonight.

Tegan and Sara are the best pop group of 2013.

History provides context to understand the world in its present form. It can also be extremely interesting purely from a narrative perspective. Or it can challenge your assumptions about the world and the people in it. I can't make you like it, but everybody should give it a chance.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

And like that - he's gone.

marrec

Banned
TDM it's working.

People are listening.

Dan Carlin will soon have enough money to make a truck load of podcasts.

Unfortunately it will all be Common Sense podcasts. :(

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
"It's like that old saying about what it is you're supposed to do with history- I forget"

- Stephen Colbert

Pau

I have a hard time listening to podcasts unless I'm working on a drawing or painting. Otherwise, might as well read.

The Hardcore History episodes I'm interested in are behind a paywall every time I check.

AcridMeat

Banned
No fanfiction, but this is the greatest thing:

NSFW obviously.
Catching up and read this. Absolutely incredible hahaha

History provides context to understand the world in its present form. It can also be extremely interesting purely from a narrative perspective. Or it can challenge your assumptions about the world and the people in it. I can't make you like it, but everybody should give it a chance.
I really love history for these reasons. It's eye opening when you discover just how often similar events occur as well.

That said a speculative future episode of a podcast would be interesting. I don't think it would hold up as the basis of a series.

Pau listen to them on runs. Makes running bearable.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I have a hard time listening to podcasts unless I'm working on a drawing or painting. Otherwise, might as well read.

The Hardcore History episodes I'm interested in are behind a paywall every time I check.

Yeah, the Roman ones I was interested in but nope.

marrec

Banned
Yeah, the Roman ones I was interested in but nope.

The Fall of the Roman Republic episodes are very much worth paying for, if you're wondering.

If you want to listen to speculative near future then you can catch Dan Carlin on Common Sense.

*stupid joke*

Pau

Now I can't stop thinking of Podcasts I want to watch. The "How did this get made" podcast, The Mental Illness Happy Hour podcasts, the rest of Janet Varney's JV club, Writing Excuses, Bungie's recent podcasts about the studio/destiny.

Dammit Mutes for making me realise all that I'm missing in my life.
Writing Excuses <3

I have to get back to listening to them. I wish they weren't so short though. I love hearing 'em talk about writing. I've never found another podcast like it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Alright alright, enough about history and Edgar Wright.

Angel Season 5 > All of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Haven't watched either. And yet i've watched all of Dollhouse and Firefly. How is that possible, you ask? A rare combination of willpower and a lack of willpower.

Writing Excuses <3

I have to get back to listening to them. I wish they weren't so short though. I love hearing 'em talk about writing. I've never found another podcast like it.

Well now that I have a testimonial there's no going back. Goodbye, hours and hours of my life

marrec

Banned
Writing Excuses <3

Writing Excuses is the only thing I consume that's made by Brandon Sanderson.

:lol

Acid08

Banned
I love podcasts! I used to listen to a bunch of gaming podcats but that's just down to the Giant Bombcast now. I listen to a bunch of comedy podcasts now, stuff like Comedy Bang Bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom