• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windam

Scaley member
Don't study, gaf is better, funner, more exciting, full of adventure! Who needs to pass silly midterms? pfffffffffft

That was my attitude for my first and second Biology 1000 midterms and the final exam! Didn't study and I still passed, aww yiss!

Barely.

Pau

I am, but I'm way too finicky and transitory to commit to it.
What kind of stuff do you write?

I have the same problem. I'm always signing up for the GAF Writing Challenges, then I'll write 500 words and chicken out. I'm very very anxious about my skill in writing fiction.

How is Mistborn anyway?
Mistborn was fun. I don't feel like I wasted my time reading them.

I've been on a break from reading any fantasy (or science fiction not written by Ursula K. Le Guin) and Mistborn was the first I've read in quite some time. I don't think Sanderson alleviated any of the issues that initially drove me away from fantasy, but I think it says something that I managed to finish three of his lengthy books despite that.

I like his world building. I like his magic system. I like that you're learning about history and culture along with the characters, and he knows how to make you excited about all the ~secrets~ and ~mysteries~.

He could use an editor. His plots are rather simple and I find the length of his novels unnecessary. He's not exactly a great stylist, but he's serviceable.

I heard that he was pretty good with female characters, but Mistborn was really bad in that aspect. Not as bad as other fantasy series, and yes, the main character is a woman, but she's kind of the only woman of importance in a very large cast. Which nowadays is a problem for me. I'm tired of tokenism.

I also have an issue with his ending, but I enjoyed the journey. So basically, if you want a long but light read in between other stuff, I say try it.

As someone who scrapes together a poorly produced podcast every week (when people show up for it) and edits it and updates a website.

I agree.

But I also love listening to podcasts.

I've been tearing my hair out lately because one of the guys in the podcast I record is recording with a tablet and a headset because his power has been out.

On one hand, way to be, showing dedication to the show by finding any way possible to record.

On the other hand. they are degrading the audio quality so badly that I feel embarrassed to put the podcast out.

Kevtones

I'm lazy but I'd love this as an avatar for FPFeb if anyone's feeling ambitious:

1451545_10101140637734746_1923422852_n.jpg

Haven't turned my computer on

If you have a smartphone with podcasting software of some kind (I have no idea what android uses, but iOS and WP have native support and I'm assuming it would too), you can just search for "Hardcore History" and DL them onto your phone. That's what I listen to them on personally.

Dan Carlin will soon have enough money to make a truck load of podcasts.

Unfortunately it will all be Common Sense podcasts. :(

Common Sense aren't that bad. I've listened to a few here and there. I don't agree on a lot of political things but he does make some fair points. He did get pretty smug after the Snowden stuff came out since he'd been talking about surveillance issues for years, but I suppose you do earn the right to gloat a little bit when people dismissed you as a conspiracy theorist and then it turns out what you were worried about was 85% true.

TDM, do you like the Total War games?

Never put serious time into them. Don't own any because they don't appeal very much. They focus on the individual battle, and while I do like some RTS, it doesn't scratch the strategy itch in the same way the Paradox games do. I used to think Civ IV/V was what I was after until I discovered EU3.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If you have a smartphone with podcasting software of some kind (I have no idea what android uses, but iOS and WP have native support and I'm assuming it would too), you can just search for "Hardcore History" and DL them onto your phone. That's what I listen to them on personally.

Common Sense aren't that bad. I've listened to a few here and there. I don't agree on a lot of political things but he does make some fair points. He did get pretty smug after the Snowden stuff came out since he'd been talking about surveillance issues for years, but I suppose you do earn the right to gloat a little bit when people dismissed you as a conspiracy theorist and then it turns out what you were worried about was 85% true.

Never put serious time into them. Don't own any because they don't appeal very much. They focus on the individual battle, and while I do like some RTS, it doesn't scratch the strategy itch in the same way the Paradox games do. I used to think Civ IV/V was what I was after until I discovered EU3.

They have a grand strategy campaign too, you know. I only play that part, even. :p

Yes I'm familiar, but the focus is far less on that than the battles you fight. If you're auto-resolving all the battles in a TW game you're missing 75% of the game's depth. The PD game series are all about that strategy level with varying levels of simulation for the tactical aspects, but never any direct control.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of stuff do you write?

Only ever fantasy. "Write" would be a stretch, since the most I've ever written down is a few plot points and character details, I'll write the majority in my head and just leave it there.

marrec

Banned
I've been tearing my hair out lately because one of the guys in the podcast I record is recording with a tablet and a headset because his power has been out.

On one hand, way to be, showing dedication to the show by finding any way possible to record.

On the other hand. they are degrading the audio quality so badly that I feel embarrassed to put the podcast out.

I really wish any of the guys I casted with had that kind of dedication. :lol

Though, it is embarrassing when you put out stuff like that.

We had a guy on for our GOTY cast that had really REALLY bad audio quality. But not bad enough to cut him out entirely. Ugh, it was rough.

I was a soulless Redemptionista, and firmly believe that was technically achieved since he chose it. But I would have much prefered a soulless redemption storyline :/

I blame Marti. Like the rest of fandom.

Season five, in my opinion, was the best written Spike arc ever.

Season five was good but Spike was bad in that season. Season 6 Spike was best spike, but the rest of the show was shit. :lol

I really wish he'd take a more nuanced approach to Snowden and his leaks but.. ya, he's earned a bit of gloating.

marrec

Banned
Only ever fantasy. "Write" would be a stretch, since the most I've ever written down is a few plot points and character details, I'll write the majority in my head and just leave it there.

Writing is pretty much the most fun I can have by myself, you should try it if only to see how much you like it. Long form Role Playing via text chatrooms is the thing I miss most about my current life, only because it means I don't get to write as much as I used to.

Edit:

Crap spackle.

Pau

Have you considered writing short stories? I think a lot of writers try to jump into long plots and understandably burn out before they even start.

marrec

Banned
No no...Spike bumbling around like a dumbass before actively trying to do good is better than pimp necklace I'm regressing cause she finally boned me Spike! Come on.

Post Intervention--->Pimp Necklace is best Spike damn it. That Spike kept peeking out all Season Six, but kept getting his face smashed in.

I just don't like neutered by love Spike. I think a re-watch of Buffy is in order actually.

I bought an ex-Girlfriend the entire series one time but never bought it for myself. Good thing it's on Netflix.

...I still sometimes make time and do that. But it's not as fun as it used to be (only one person ever wants to hang)

I should make some time for that, but in a more mixed field. The old Dungeon crowd's obviously moved on. :(

Have you considered writing short stories? I think a lot of writers try to jump into long plots and understandably burn out before they even start.

What I would suggest is write one short story a day for ~x amount of days. It doesn't matter if you don't have a good idea or don't feel like writing, just commit something to paper (or Microsoft Word). Then when you're done after ~x days, go back and fix the stories you felt had potential.

marrec

Banned
A few still come around, but it's nothing like it used to be and aside from the two that consistently keep in contact with me, it's the erm...crap people that come around. I'd love to get back into it.

There's no venue for it anymore unfortunately.

I would have taken you more for an SF guy based on your name.

I used to participate in the writing GAF competitions but one day I just stopped. Don't even remember why.

marrec

Banned

I used to participate in the writing GAF competitions but one day I just stopped. Don't even remember why.

I tell myself, every time I see that thread, that I should take part in it.

I have enough commitments though.

Pau

What I would suggest is write one short story a day for ~x amount of days. It doesn't matter if you don't have a good idea or don't feel like writing, just commit something to paper (or Microsoft Word). Then when you're done after ~x days, go back and fix the stories you felt had potential.
I tried that during NaNoWriMo. I get burned out and discouraged easily. Sometimes I feel like I have good ideas, but can't execute them. Other times I feel like I'm not really an idea person and can only regurgitate stuff.

Fine, marrec, ignore my lovely Mistborn essay. :mad:

I tried that during NaNoWriMo. I get burned out and discouraged easily. Sometimes I feel like I have good ideas, but can't execute them. Other times I feel like I'm not really an idea person and can only regurgitate stuff.

Fine, marrec, ignore my lovely Mistborn essay. :mad:
The very beginning of any writing training will tell you that you have to write through discouragement, depression, and whatever else one might classify as writer's block. You can always fix a bad story, you can never fix a story you never wrote.

Besides, I am pretty sure I have read your writing before? It was good, though I can not specifically recall it right now.

marrec

Banned
Mistborn was fun. I don't feel like I wasted my time reading them.

I've been on a break from reading any fantasy (or science fiction not written by Ursula K. Le Guin) and Mistborn was the first I've read in quite some time. I don't think Sanderson alleviated any of the issues that initially drove me away from fantasy, but I think it says something that I managed to finish three of his lengthy books despite that.

I like his world building. I like his magic system. I like that you're learning about history and culture along with the characters, and he knows how to make you excited about all the ~secrets~ and ~mysteries~.

He could use an editor. His plots are rather simple and I find the length of his novels unnecessary. He's not exactly a great stylist, but he's serviceable.

I heard that he was pretty good with female characters, but Mistborn was really bad in that aspect. Not as bad as other fantasy series, and yes, the main character is a woman, but she's kind of the only woman of importance in a very large cast. Which nowadays is a problem for me. I'm tired of tokenism.

I also have an issue with his ending, but I enjoyed the journey. So basically, if you want a long but light read in between other stuff, I say try it.

I'm sorry that I ignored this originally. :lol

I'll give it a try, but I really should read his Wheel of Time novels first as I already own them... then go with Mistborn.

Is that the only thing you've read by him? How would you compare it to other Fantasy series'?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

I figured Transhuman would be a good username because my GT is Transhuman Plus (portmanteau of Transhuman and "Human +"). And I think THAT was because I was reading Dresden Codak back then.

Now when I think of Transhumanism, it's muddled by thoughts of of how much I hated Halo 4's plotline and how unfulfilling Deus Ex: Human Revolution was. It it wasn't for Gattaca, Bioshock, and Ghost in the Shell, I'd be changing my username quick-smart.

I figured Transhuman would be a good username because my GT is Transhuman Plus (portmanteau of Transhuman and "Human +"). And I think THAT was because I was reading Dresden Codak back then.

Now when I think of Transhumanism, it's muddled by thoughts of of how much I hated Halo 4's plotline and how unfulfilling Deus Ex: Human Revolution was. It it wasn't for Gattaca, Bioshock, and Ghost in the Shell, I'd be changing my username quick-smart.

Haven't got around to H4.

Can you tell me the stupid stuff relating to transhumanism in spoiler tags?

TrueNorth

Neo Member
I actually had a look, and it seems there isn't actually such a thing as a Squiddy cracker.
My existence is a lie.

I've been semi-considering a username change:

A)Squiddylicious
B)SquiddyCookie
C)SquiddyBiscuit

Noooooooo! The squiddy cracker is a lie! Still, I think you should keep your username. As a sign of hope for that the actual squid cracker may one day exist.

*whispers* "I believe in you, SquiddyCracker"

Noooooooo! The squiddy cracker is a lie! Still, I think you should keep your username. As a sign of hope for that the actual squid cracker may one day exist.

*whispers* "I believe in you, SquiddyCracker"

SquiddyBiscuit is actually his old username. I can't remember why he changed it.

Pau

The very beginning of any writing training will tell you that you have to write through discouragement, depression, and whatever else one might classify as writer's block. You can always fix a bad story, you can never fix a story you never wrote.

Besides, I am pretty sure I have read your writing before? It was good, though I can not specifically recall it right now.
Yeah. I get that logically but. :( I just have to power through it. I'm doing better than before though. At least I have a few "finished" (with a beginning, middle, end not necessarily done with editing) stories now as opposed to before.

I'm sorry that I ignored this originally. :lol

I'll give it a try, but I really should read his Wheel of Time novels first as I already own them... then go with Mistborn.

Is that the only thing you've read by him? How would you compare it to other Fantasy series'?
Haven't read anything else by him. I got one of his other novels that takes place in the same universe as Mistborn, but I haven't started yet.

Smiley90

Never had to go digging through science journals Dragonz?

Lucky gal.

Congrats @ Smiley. You chose publish, not perish.

Is that a thing? But thanks.

I'm far from publishing still, though. I mean I haven't even WRITTEN anything yet. But we got some data from our experiments back today that's VERY promising, so we'll probably be able to push out a paper or two this summer.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Morning

Been without electricity for whole night and now i need to go on a date..... with my shovel

marrec

Banned
Is that a thing? But thanks.

I'm far from publishing still, though. I mean I haven't even WRITTEN anything yet. But we got some data from our experiments back today that's VERY promising, so we'll probably be able to push out a paper or two this summer.

Oh this is surely a thing.

In my line of work it's called Patent or Perish. I choose perish so far. :(

A friend of mine who was studying pharmacology down in Puerto Rico was telling me that he was having big problems with his research assistants selling all his research to Walgreens.

I don't know any more details but the story always kind of makes me laugh because it sounds so crazy times.

Smiley90

Oh this is surely a thing.

In my line of work it's called Patent or Perish. I choose perish so far. :(

yeah I've heard of THAT before. Luckily I'm at a university and we couldn't care less about patenting shit.

Yes. The Science auditors take bi-annual census of all scientists. If you didn't publish, they'll hunt you down and take your scientist license away from you.

Then murder you.

LOL

It's funny because you actually have a point :lol

Aside from the murder.

TrueNorth

Neo Member
The book is kind of insufferable in an intentional way. I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it. The movie though... it's something else. As much as I like what they did with Watchmen, I think Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is better. Edgar Wright is a magic man.

You're telling lies. The World's End is almost as good as Hot Fuzz.

I FINALLY watched Hot Fuzz for the first time tonight. Fantastic movie. Laughed my arse off. Now I can move on to The World's End and not feel like I'm cheating the Cornetto Trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom