• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bored...

iH34JXVJtCRAp.gif

EDIT: Looped it better.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Science hasn't proven anything about UFO's either way though.
If anything, the discovery of billions of stars and galaxies has opened the possibility up even further.
Naw, there's no evidence that UFOs are extraterrestrial life, and it seems very unlikely too. That said, it's very probable that we aren't alone in the universe.;p it's just extremely unlikely that they have set foot on this planet.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Chuunibyo 01

I hate moe. I really do. I hated K-On for it being stupid and pointless and I hated Haruhi for it having annoying characters.

Having said that, Chuunibyo for some reason doesn't make me angry. Rather than making me angry, it reminded me of the time when I was a kid and I was drawing awesome cartoon stuff and wishing I could be someone super cool. Despite Chuunibyo being a total magnet for all things cute, moe, and otaku-related, at its core I think it tries to resonate with viewers about their inner childhood. More particularly, resonate with Yuuta. You don't have to be a Chuunibyo but you can certainly see that childish imagination in your past, if you did truly have it. Yuuta is a great characterization of someone who wants to leave behind that type of past entirely and move on with his life. Enter Takanashi who acts like Yuuta's foil in ways. While Yuuta is the extreme in trying to discard it entirely, Takanashi clings on to her wild imaginations almost to the point of pure embarassment and annoyance. Yet, despite this annoying depiction, the ending wraps up nicely seeing that perhaps its not best to forget where we come from or what kind of person we were. This show reminds me of, despite not being in high school and being an adult, I still remember the fond - and embarrassing - memories I had as a kid.

Narag

Gintama 44

JjhGzl.png

Once upon a time I was really fond of Naruto's Chuunin exam stuff. No longer.

Ninja antics coupled with Gintama insanity left this beyond satisfying. So ridiculous yet so good.

I just watched the Chuunibyo OP. As poorly executed as it was, I have to give them credit for what they were trying to do. It was a nice idea that just didn't pan out so well.

The thing is that "hipsters" are generally socially cognizant and pretentious. This girl is like the opposite of that. She's not just embracing her childish behavior, but wallowing in it.

The gif is :cajun as fuck, though.

kayos90

I would if you'd watch enjoyable shows!

Wow. Ouch.

EDIT: Even if that is the case. My posts are usually interesting enough. I explain why it was good, why it sucked, why it was fun, etc. I also put a spin on certain ones so... yeah. If you still don't read them that's fine. It's not like people in the thread reply to my impressions, read them, or even bother to post them up anywhere. Meh....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The thing is that "hipsters" are generally socially cognizant and pretentious. This girl is like the opposite of that. She's not just embracing her childish behavior, but wallowing in it.

Whatever. Infogram was all over that intro and that's hipster enough for me. And as discussed before she seem to be an allegation of everything popular from certain females from the last couple of seasons. A tragic follower of fashion.

isEqcRp5jvOYb.gif

BluWacky

Monsuno 1

Oh, this has already aired in America about six months ago. In fact, it's written by Americans!

The best bit was when the main character thought a tyrannosaurus was his father. But that was in a dream sequence at the beginning :(

Otherwise, this is a toy anime. I find the art unattractive and cheap looking, the sound effects are terrible (the lasers literally do make flimsy "pew pew" noises), there's obvious reuse of backgrounds (they run through the same forest corridor three times!)...

Bah. Bored by halfway through. I didn't actually make it to the giant polar bear punching the hydra-headed pig thing you see in this screenshot, but I don't think I really missed out on that much.

jbug617

Banned
Hayate No Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You 1

So this is set 9 months after the series started. It's okay in terms it basically used a similar formula in the earlier episodes of Hayate no Gotoku!. The twist will be interesting, it's obvious that
the little sister wants what her sister has (wealth).

Uchip

Banned
I'll be the one to bring the bad news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaRmIOOKLE0

This is the real OP for the KyoAni Crazy Girl anime. I'm sorry guys. It's really disappointing. In terms of concept and composition, this is one of the worst OPs KyoAni has ever done. Which... seems in line with the vibe for the show itself so far. :/

Stupid, uninspired, lazy, bland. >_<

It looks like it was edited by a kid for a lazy AMV submission
that said, I do like that the cat was trying to suffocate them in the OP

I don't think intentionally making something that's physically uncomfortable for people to watch is a great idea.
Well, I think intentionally causing your viewers physical pain is a fantastic idea, but that's neither here nor there. What I appreciate is that they were trying to do something interesting that also plays into a major element of the show(the split between the real world and the delusional world).

Firemind

Wow. Ouch.

EDIT: Even if that is the case. My posts are usually interesting enough. I explain why it was good, why it sucked, why it was fun, etc. I also put a spin on certain ones so... yeah. If you still don't read them that's fine. It's not like people in the thread reply to my impressions, read them, or even bother to post them up anywhere. Meh....

I read your SAO posts at least!

Unless it's about the next episode preview. Dem spoilers.

Wow. Ouch.

I read your posts, bruh.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 01

XJ1Wl.gif

Forget about how moe Rikka is, Yuuta is pretty moe.

Not a bad first episode. I just with regards with the OP, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based off the impressions here. Sure the part where it's going over the other girls in the class can easily leave you blind if you keep looking at it, but otherwise it's a cool idea and does reflect well on the show's main character. It's nifty, just don't stare at it too long, like the sun.

Otherwise, I like the characters introduced so far and I can maybe see where this is going. It's not that boring, there's still a spark of KyoAni magic just not as much as Hyouka. It easily reminds me of my own childish ways and while it's not as full blown as these two characters I can see where I tone it down and kept most of it back into my head.

I'm still looking forward to seeing where this show will go. If anything it would probably just be an average high school comedy or whatever and that's perfectly ok with me.

Oh, the ED is kinda boring though.

Well, I think intentionally causing your viewers physical pain is a fantastic idea, but that's neither here nor there. What I appreciate is that they were trying to do something interesting that also plays into a major element of the show(the split between the real world and the delusional world).

The thing is that while it was riffing on the main girl's eyepatch, it didn't really play around with the dual worlds in any way - it just showed the girls doing random staff with nothing particularly delusional to be seen. Now the Kamisama Dolls OP is a good example of visually playing with the idea of two worlds (in that case Tokyo and the protagonist's hometown village).

cajunator

Banned
Whatever. Infogram was all over that intro and that's hipster enough for me. And as discussed before she seem to be an allegation of everything popular from certain females from the last couple of seasons. A tragic follower of fashion.

isEqcRp5jvOYb.gif

Well, the animation quality doesn't seem to have suffered much at least. Looks pretty fluid in that gif.
Man, I have to make it through twelve hours of work before I can watch the first episode ;_;

Narag

Wow. Ouch.

I read your SAO stuff. I'm going to start reading SAO too and will curse your name on my deathbed for doing so.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Best Student Council - 08

An episode dedicated to Rino's stupidity. The rest of the student council were seriously considering using one of their squads to alter her test scores so she wouldn't be kicked out from the group, which is complete bullshit for the other students there that are way more qualified than her.

What really gets me is that we found out that it was
Pucchan's ability (not Rino's) that got her there in the first place. Rino's scores were in the single digits so Pucchan had to pick up the slack and take the tests for her. If this show had any sense of realism she would've gotten the boot the moment that little tidbit came out.
Then again, I'm talking about a show where its academy has a gigantic cannon for god knows what reason.

kayos90

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 01

XJ1Wl.gif

Forget about how moe Rikka is, Yuuta is pretty moe.

Not a bad first episode. I just with regards with the OP, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based off the impressions here. Sure the part where it's going over the other girls in the class can easily leave you blind if you keep looking at it, but otherwise it's a cool idea and does reflect well on the show's main character. It's nifty, just don't stare at it too long, like the sun.

Otherwise, I like the characters introduced so far and I can maybe see where this is going. It's not that boring, there's still a spark of KyoAni magic just not as much as Hyouka. It easily reminds me of my own childish ways and while it's not as full blown as these two characters I can see where I tone it down and kept most of it back into my head.

I'm still looking forward to seeing where this show will go. If anything it would probably just be an average high school comedy or whatever and that's perfectly ok with me.

Oh, the ED is kinda boring though.

I read your SAO stuff. I'm going to start reading SAO too and will curse your name on my deathbed for doing so.

Well... in my defense? idk. Anyway, you already curse me because of Guilty Crown. I don't think SAO will make it any worse.

This man gets it.

cajunator

Banned
The thing is that while it was riffing on the main girl's eyepatch, it didn't really play around with the dual worlds in any way - it just showed the girls doing random staff with nothing particularly delusional to be seen. Now the Kamisama Dolls OP is a good example of visually playing with the idea of two worlds (in that case Tokyo and the protagonist's hometown village).

I think I love that OP so much because of the song, but Kamisama Dolls opening has incredibly cool looking effects with the dual world thing and it makes me very interested to see it. Nobody ever mentions that show here though, which makes me wonder if it was good.

Monsuno 1

I commend you for trying this out?

I think I love that OP so much because of the song, but Kamisama Dolls opening has incredibly cool looking effects with the dual world thing and it makes me very interested to see it. Nobody ever mentions that show here though, which makes me wonder if it was good.

It's OK. It's got quite a few flaws, but I liked it overall, despite an unresolved ending. One of these days I'll get around to reading the manga.

BluWacky

Wooser's Hand-in-Mouth Life 1

This is actually kind of fun!

My understanding is that Wooser is a mascot based on one of the members of supercell, and there are very short comics based on stuff that person's written? I don't really know.

Anyway, it's a 3 minute gag show with three very short scenes in - one where Wooser pretends to be a panda and prepares to chat up girls, one where he visits a farm and just wants to eat all the cows, and the final one where he decides to turn the show into a pirate anime because everyone watches those or something like that.

While it's not massively amusing, it's got a few things going for it:

i) Mamoru Miyano's superb acting for Wooser - he sounds like some kind of sleazy playboy, and it's awesome
ii) the animation! It's CG, but it's good CG. The OP is jolly, and between each scene there's a short 8-bit pixellated interstitial that's good for a bit of nostalgia.

cajunator

Banned
Well, off to work. hopefully Chuunibyo cheers me up a little when I get back if the night is shitty (like last night was. fucking mondays.)

Wooser's Hand-in-Mouth Life 1

This is actually kind of fun!

My understanding is that Wooser is a mascot based on one of the members of supercell, and there are very short comics based on stuff that person's written? I don't really know.

Anyway, it's a 3 minute gag show with three very short scenes in - one where Wooser pretends to be a panda and prepares to chat up girls, one where he visits a farm and just wants to eat all the cows, and the final one where he decides to turn the show into a pirate anime because everyone watches those or something like that.

While it's not massively amusing, it's got a few things going for it:

i) Mamoru Miyano's superb acting for Wooser - he sounds like some kind of sleazy playboy, and it's awesome
ii) the animation is fun! It's CG, but it's good CG. The OP is jolly, and between each scene there's a short 8-bit pixellated interstitial that's good for a bit of nostalgia.

Sold. Will watch this now.

Articalys

Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai! 1

Show's great, OP and ED are both fine musically and animation-wise.

Also, I probably died laughing when this scene went on for like ten seconds, probably due to the sound effects and Rikka's voice.

Also also, if you weren't immediately able to relate to
Rikka using her powers to open the automatic train doors
, you're lying to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom