• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

One Piece 44

To: Wonzo

rT0KRl.png

Wooser's Hand-in-Mouth Life 1

So this is a 3 minute short series produced by Sanzigen, probably the most prominent anime CG studio working today. The visuals are so heavily stylized, using a simple, bright color palette, that when you're looking at stills you can't really tell that it's 3D. You can tell when it's moving of course, and there are a couple awkward moments but overall it looks nice; the OP and ED actually feature some really nice fluid and deformed animation.

It's worth noting that the OP and ED are done by the infamous Sayo Yamamoto. The OP is short but delightfully fun - the below shot, with Wooser smashed flat, floating up into space, reminds me of Gainax's cartoonish sensibilities. (The series director is an ex-Gainax guy.)

The ED showcases Yamamoto's interest in weird color schemes, as in her Sacred Seven OP, but I find it works better here. The song, by supercell, is nice as well.

Credit has to be given to Mamoru Miyano, who has a ton of fun voicing Wooser; his voice oozes all over the place and is amusing to listen to even apart from what's he's saying. Now the comedic writing itself, well, I can't say I really get it. The sketches are so random and the punchlines all over the place that I find myself mostly confused. Like I suppose the last sketch is trying to be some kind of One Piece parody, but it's kind of lame and I don't really understand what they were trying to go for.

So I'm not sure if I'll watch any future episodes of this, but I don't regret checking it out.

Chuunibyo 01

I'm going to really enjoy this show.

Konami code on the vending machine. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has tried this, even if in an anime

Jarmel

Banned
Delusions of a Crazy Girl 1-

ibf6XSKPLHtjPY.gif

The same level of subtlety.

It could have been an interesting idea if they toned it way the fuck back but instead it's really stupid at times.

Jarmel

Banned
Isn't that kind of the point, though?

I mean if they looked at the psychology of people with this 'disorder' in a regular setting, in that a person has delusions but is also aware of their social setting then it would be infinitely more fascinating as a character study. I think it would be a perfect way of looking at individuals like Haruhi and possibly putting it into a real-life scenario. There's a lot of interesting ground to cover with stuff like this and KyoAni put their hands up in the air and said "Fuck it".

wonzo

Banned
Wooser 1
wooser1.jpg

wise words from the wooser

Yeah, this was certainly one of the better ~3min shorts I've seen. It's charming as hell and the use of CG is really, really well done too. Will definitely watch more.

sonicmj1

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 01

Not a bad first episode. I just with regards with the OP, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based off the impressions here. It's nifty, just don't stare at it too long, like the sun.

I agree that it's less bad if you don't look at it. But that seems like a poor quality for an OP to have.

I see they were going for some sort of eyepatch thing, but it's awful in execution here. That strobing effect is terrible.

I mean if they looked at the psychology of people with this 'disorder' in a regular setting, in that a person has delusions but is also aware of their social setting then it would be infinitely more fascinating as a character study. I think it would be a perfect way of looking at individuals like Haruhi and possibly putting it into a real-life scenario. There's a lot of interesting ground to cover with stuff like this and KyoAni put their hands up in the air and said "Fuck it".

I thought Disappearance handled that pretty well.

Kagami

Eh but they're not really "delusions." It's just corny role-playing that they expect people around them to play along with. The only delusion would be in not grasping how obnoxious it is to other people. It gets the "middle school disease" name because it's not a disorder, just a phase some kids go through.

The intent was always to be an outrageous comedy centered around embarrassing but fond nostalgia; if you were expecting a character study or social commentary or something along those lines, well, that was misplaced expectations.

Thoraxes

Does what is essentially a realistic portrayal of a case study equate to good anime though? Issues like these are much better enjoyed if you have psychology friends who can recommend you good case studies to read.

In the case of this show in particular though, I go with what Kagami said. It's definitely more:

Eh but they're not really "delusions." It's just corny role-playing that they expect people around them to play along with. The only delusion would be in not grasping how obnoxious it is to other people. It gets the "middle school disease" name because it's not a disorder, just a phase some kids go through.

cjkeats

Echoing everyone who said that Chuunibyo 01 was good, I'm looking forward to more of this. I can see lots of shenanigans coming.

I've discovered that the only thing better than a moe ahoge is a moe girl with an ahoge and an eyepatch.

I hope someone gifs her strut onto the train. That was adorable.

Articalys

Huh, so it looks like Crunchyroll has scooped up nearly everything interesting so far this season. Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's announcement of their acquisition of Little Busters.
Medaka Box Abnormal is almost certainly one of the two remaining, and I guess Little Busters has as much a chance as anything else for the other.
Still don't know what's up with the noitaminA shows though, after two seasons of having them both.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'll be honest, I sort of like daydreaming about my rl friends n family and putting them in melodramatic anime-esque situations. Is that similar to what you guy's are talking about?

Echoing everyone who said that Chuunibyo 01 was good, I'm looking forward to more of this. I can see lots of shenanigans coming.

I've discovered that the only thing better than a moe ahoge is a moe girl with an ahoge and an eyepatch.

Eyepatch moe really is best moe.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chuunibyou 01:

qrXMol.jpg

An Antikythera Machine is the perfect accessory for any delusional adolescent.

It's watchable. I know that KyoAni prides itself on its production qualities, but I think it's clear that this is not meant to be one of their showcase, flagship works. It's already likely stunted from excellence by the subject matter, but everything about the show feels merely pleasant, merely good enough. I can find nothing to criticize, but neither can I find much to praise.

One thing that I personally find is that my future enjoyment of the series is going to rely on how it handles Rikka. She's already difficult to accept as a character because she's living out her delusion 100% of the time--in school, at home, everywhere. Especially given Japan's strict standards for socially acceptable behavior, one would think that Rikka's total inability to interact with other people in a way that acknowledges the reality that everyone else experiences would nudge her beyond being merely eccentric into genuine mental illness. As it stands, I don't understand how she's able to function as an individual in society.

Therefore, my opinion of the series largely hinges on whether or not Rikka's behavior is validated. It's not cute, it's not sympathetic, and it had damned well better not be a device for "loosening up" Yuuta, whose genuine striving for maturity and social acceptance actually makes him a somewhat interesting protagonist. It's immature, unhealthy, annoying, and, rather than being dragged down to Rikka's level, I want to see Yuuta become the dominating influence between the two as his companionship erodes whatever psychological underpinnings are motivating Rikka's behavior. If, instead, he is drawn back into the world of delusion that he is so ashamed of, I'll have few nice things to say about Chuunibyou.

Hgkrpl.jpg

At least the episode had quality mom moe.

Jarmel

Banned

I would definitely say it's delusions on the part of the female lead. The difference being that when you role play, you're aware that you're roleplaying, if you seriously believe that you are some wizard or magical girl then that would be delusional. The female lead seems to strongly believe that she is magical or something.

Sword Art Online 13

Ok, I actually enjoyed the whole fishing part. Still not the best or second best fishing segment of the year but it was still enjoyable.

But of course, back to the "action". It was slightly above average but still pretty meh.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 01

Well, the OP and ED animation are awful (I do like the songs though), the show itself isn't half bad. It's decently animated and that's what counts most for me. Yuuta's issues are ones I've dealt with before; everyone goes through the denial phase regarding some aspect of their past (for me it was trying to convince myself I didn't like cute things because that's not what men do blah blah bullshit). We all come to terms with ourselves at some point; that's when you've truly grown up. ^^;

The crazy girl is cute in her own way. She's not especially funny, but amusing all the same. Again, KyoAni really pays great attention to how characters move, and Takanashi (the crazy girl) always moves with a bit more added flare than is necessary, as does Yuuta when he's not thinking about trying to be normal.

The freshmen representative is always the cutest girl in school. Glad to see KyoAni respecting the law. Though I have issues with her hair clip.

-Minsc-

Gintama 44

Ninja antics coupled with Gintama insanity left this beyond satisfying. So ridiculous yet so good.

I'd be interested in a Gintama and Naruto crossover. It has the potential of being many levels of awesome.

People have seen "UFOs" before which have terrestrial explanations, and I'm sure the same is the case in Space Brothers.

One also has to remember the UFO seen in the first episode wrung through a child's imagination. What was shown was likely not an accurate representation of what actually occurred.

Sword Art Online 13

Ok, I actually enjoyed the whole fishing part. Still not the best or second best fishing segment of the year but it was still enjoyable.

But of course, back to the "action". It was slightly above average but still pretty meh.
Are you anti action? I dont think you said nothing much positive about it, even with the big scenes.

Firemind

tinafey.gif

Chuu2

Better than I expected coming off duckroll's impression tbh. The relationship between the two characters is already better than AsunaKirito (hough that's not saying much). I still do some of he Chuu2 stuff in my head but I excuse it as ideas for writing a book later lol. The feeling of being intensly embarrassed by even remebering things you did in the past resonated strongly with me too.

The moe was a bit much tbh, the girl is pretty useless and needs the mc to do everything for her. And then I look and I see 3 more girls and I can't help but sigh at where this is going. For some reason all high school boys have virtual harems, the show laughs at the wish-fullfillment fantasies in one hand and gives them a different fantasy in another. Anime.....

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, I'm really surprised yall really liking Chuunibyo. I thought yall would bash it to kingdom come but clearly there's some appeal for it. I wonder if it's the otaku factor, the shenanigans, or the nostalgia factor of our past childhood.

BluWacky

Chuunibyo

Nope, not for me. She's really irritating. Pratting around is fun for the people doing it, but not for the people watching it.

I did like the scene where the lead guy freaked out and everything fell over, though.

fertygo

Honestly, I'm really surprised yall really liking Chuunibyo. I thought yall would bash it to kingdom come but clearly there's some appeal for it. I wonder if it's the otaku factor, the shenanigans, or the nostalgia factor of our past childhood.

Low expectation can do wonder, and its maybe actually better than such like OreImo or Haganai.

Articalys

Oh god, that seiyuu leak for Medaka Box Abnormal was real.

Youka Naze: Miyuki Sawashiro
Kei Munakata: Hiroshi Kamiya

Mizou Yukuhashi: Kana Asumi
Itami Koga: Madoka Yonezawa
Shigusa Takachiho: Kenji Nomura

YESSSSSSS

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You got it, buddy.
Good man, I loved that part. (Guess I finally know what your avatar is from too)

Chu whatever whatever whatever eyepatch girl EP1
djQZ4.jpg

Gotta love those days when you can't stand up straight and start breaking shit...
Pretty funny and cute. It's packed full of moments that made it hard to watch for a bit because of the embarrassment you feel for the Yuuta. Character designs and animation reminded me of K-ON!, kinda bubbly and maybe even a little exaggerated.

Expected nothing from the show and walked away entertained, so I may keep up with this one.

P.S. This show was made for Cajun.

fertygo

Oh god, that seiyuu leak for Medaka Box Abnormal was real.

Youka Naze: Miyuki Sawashiro
Kei Munataka: Hiroshi Kamiya

Mizou Yukuhashi: Kana Asumi
Itami Koga: Madoka Yonezawa
Shigusa Takachiho: Kenji Nomura

YESSSSSSS

Awesome.

Will watch this 2nd season, what a perfect choice for Naze.

jbug617

Banned
Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! 1

The show is not that bad, I will continue to watch it. You can see where the story might be going but I like it. The way I interpret the show it's going to be a coming of age story and when is it appropriate to leave your childhood behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom