• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about magi, if it's anything like adventures of Sinbad anime, I'd like it very much but looks like it's more battle focused rather than adventure ?

FMA + One Piece. It's a semi-standard battle shounen with importance placed on both adventuring and fighting, moreso the former.

Because based on character designs and what I've seen, it's not hard to make such an assumption. I mean... if you pull out 5 red balls from a box full of balls, you're going to assume that the box has a lot of red balls, right?

Regardless, I'm not saying Magi sucks or anything. I just doesn't appeal to me.

It doesn't take place in a desert 50% of the time.

duckroll

Well... for me it's just from a visual perspective. Part of the reason why I love Pandora Hearts so much is due to its visual style. It's very reminiscent of Victorian architecture and culture so I love it. Magi's visual aesthetics and its setting just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. It's also one of the reasons why I also don't liike the movie Aladdin very much. *hides due to inevitable hate*

2nkWc.jpg

ZBv8B.jpg

Actually, I can't say I'm a fan of Shonen to Anime conversions... I like my Anime to be wrapped up in a season. But shonen mangas forever drag out the story, with some going well into non-sensical territory (like Detective Conan and Hajime no Ippo).

Accel World is a light novel, dude.

Branduil

I doubt that's true. It probably has nothing to do with money. Magi is a big Aniplex shounen series like FMA and Blue Exorcist. Guess what, those were delaycasts too. :p

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...to-stream-2009-fullmetal-alchemist-on-april-9

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pre...t-to-be-simulcast-on-hulu-ann-and-crunchyroll

This is nothing new. From the New World is NOT a delaycast. It is a simulcast with TV Asahi's terrestial broadcast. The CS Asahi broadcast is on satellite only.

Well, we could bicker about terms, but whether it technically is or not, it's a de facto delaycast because the wild internet is no respecter of the "closed" nature of a satellite broadcast.

cajunator

Banned
Noumi is terrible shitty shit.
I think youre supposed to hate him.
He serves his purpose as the villain though.
If I were to criticize anything about Accel World, it would be that they didnt delve more into the kings/queens of the world and the stories of how they came to be.
Would have been interesting.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I can't. Seriously. A lot of orange/light brown in combination of my prior knowledge that it's set in a desert is making me not like it. Sorry.

Noumi is terrible shitty shit.
I think youre supposed to hate him.
He serves his purpose as the villain though.
If I were to criticize anything about Accel World, it would be that they didnt delve more into the kings/queens of the world and the stories of how they came to be.
Would have been interesting.

Season 2 and 3 baby.

Articalys

From the New World 1

...this is one of those kind of shows, isn't it, where
they start by revealing subtle-to-blatant hints that there's something really messed up going on behind the scenes
. I can see why this community in particular is singing its praises nonstop.

Also, I somehow completely forgot that Dvořák's Symphony No. 9 is actually called "From the New World". Makes more sense why it's the music in the show now.

Branduil

It needs to be accurate to the era too. Which means the game actually has a dozen or so maps, but yet everyone still only plays the same 3 ones. After the first 12 episodes, they don't even bother anymore and it's just de_dust all the way! Lol.

And the sequel, AWP ART WORLD

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Best Student Council - 16

10 more left to go... I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. ;_;

Branduil

I hope that at least they reach those "150,000 yen a month", and also I would have liked to see what the digital painters will earn for their work, to compare it with what JAniCA's very own Osamu Yamasaki advocated for some time ago, if with their own guidelines themselves are still condoning such practices after all:

2chan.us » Blog Archive » JAniCA Club Blog Translation: What’s Going On in the Anime Industry Right Now?!
http://2chan.us/wordpress/2009/10/0...t’s-going-on-in-the-anime-industry-right-now/

Well, I guess it's not really a surprise that the industry has failed to fully adjust to the changes wrought by the digital era. I wonder if things have changed in the years since that article.

cajunator

Banned
No. I never saw the appeal for Aladdin and other arabian/desert-esque stories. It's partly the reason why I hated the beginning of Tsubasa.

I always enjoyed arabic city design.
The layered buildings and artwork is pretty fascinating. Hopefully Magi gets it right.

Caesnd

Yea I somehow doubt that.

I'm pretty ok with this not actually happening in my lifetime. Are there any good writers in the west who have ever expressed interest in this sort of collaboration? Last thing I want is more fan fiction inspired story telling. It's already a big enough problem as is.

Branduil

Naw, there's no evidence that UFOs are extraterrestrial life, and it seems very unlikely too. That said, it's very probable that we aren't alone in the universe.;p it's just extremely unlikely that they have set foot on this planet.

This thread took a weird turn.

Branduil

People have seen "UFOs" before which have terrestrial explanations, and I'm sure the same is the case in Space Brothers.

Must have been chuunibyou.

Whatever. Infogram was all over that intro and that's hipster enough for me. And as discussed before she seem to be an allegation of everything popular from certain females from the last couple of seasons. A tragic follower of fashion.

isEqcRp5jvOYb.gif

I have to admit I laughed at your malapropism.

wonzo

Banned
Uh.... sure... whatever you want to believe.
Sorry but I remember there being copious amounts of orange/light brown colours and deserts in both runs of FMA, by no means a majority but the same is true of Magi. I find it absolutely laughable you'd dismiss a series you know nothing about for such a daft, inconsistent reason.

kayos90

Look closely at the second pic.

My problem wasn't with the second pic. I just don't like the aesthetic and look of the first pic. It doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't matter that it's from FMA or Magi to be honest. I just don't like it. I know the second pic is from FMA btw.

Sorry but I remember there being copious amounts of orange/light brown colours and deserts in both runs of FMA, by no means a majority but the same is true of Magi. I find it absolutely laughable you'd dismiss a series you know nothing about for such a daft, inconsistent reason.

I'm not saying there wasn't. I already made it clear that I didn't like those sections - visually - in FMA. Clearly you didn't read my previous posts. Also, me dismissing a series because it doesn't appeal to me is laughable? Sorry that I don't do things that I don't want to.

wonzo

Banned
I'm not saying there wasn't. I already made it clear that I didn't like those sections - visually - in FMA. Clearly you didn't read my previous posts. Also, me dismissing a series because it doesn't appeal to me is laughable? Sorry that I don't do things that I don't want to.
It is laughable to make a claim about a series (Magi being set mostly in a desert) and then dismiss it for that reason even though numerous people in this thread have pointed out that it's simply not true.

Thoraxes

It is laughable to make a claim about a series (Magi being set mostly in a desert) and then dismiss it for that reason even though numerous people in this thread have pointed out that it's simply not true.

It's like saying I dropped K-ON because a single male, Ritsu's brother, makes a 5 second cameo in the show. That means the whole show isn't worth watching.

kayos90

I also mentioned that it's not even just setting. It's the aesthetic of Magi as a whole. You can say it's laughable all you want. It's preference and me not watching something because of my preferences in combination with my preconceived notions about the show/manga - whether it be true or not - shouldn't affect you anyway. You don't see me bashing you for having "laughable" reasons and other bullshit.

I'm just saying it's your choice to ignore Magi because of such a reason but don't expect everyone to understand those reasons of yours. I understand where you're coming from, but I would have said so differently.

The aesthetic and presentation is a big aspect of the narrative for me. If there is part that I strongly dislike, even if it is good, I will most likely not give it any time. What I don't understand is that, there are people other than myself who don't do things because it doesn't appeal to them in some way shape or form because their values are different. What I'm upset about is how wonzo thinks i'm trolling and calling me reasons laughable when they can be perfectly valid.

Thanks for being prompt and courteous unlike certain users.

Thoraxes

I also mentioned that it's not even just setting. It's the aesthetic of Magi as a whole. You can say it's laughable all you want. It's preference and me not watching something because of my preferences in combination with my preconceived notions about the show/manga - whether it be true or not - shouldn't affect you anyway. You don't see me bashing you for having "laughable" reasons and other bullshit.

What is the whole aesthetic of Magi then, that you're basing your decision on?

kayos90

What is the whole aesthetic of Magi then, that you're basing your decision on?

I already said arabian-esque.

I seriously don't get what wonzo's problem is. There are people who don't watch certain shows because futuristic crap doesn't appeal to them. mechas don't appeal to them. Moeblob looking characters don't appeal to them. Am I not allowed to have a reason that won't get ridiculed. Jeez.

Branduil

Chu2byo

All my worst fears for this show have been realized.

This is the worst anime Kyoani has ever made
that I've seen.
. It surpasses even Haruhi. There is nothing positive to be found in it, since even the production is below average for Kyoani.

The male main character manages to be worse than both Oreki and Kyon, truly a difficult feat.

DTL's description of the girl is spot on, so I have nothing more to add there.

I guess if I were to sum this up in one word, it would be "repulsive".

Lucky Star's 1st episode was substantially worse than this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Racist confirmed.

Might as well call them "Orientals" and quote Said.

kayos90

Do they actually make any of their own backgrounds? Most studios contract it out.

Hmm... interesting question. I have no idea. It looked similar in terms of style to SAO so I assumed it was done inhouse... Either that or they contracted the same place.

duckroll

Do they actually make any of their own backgrounds? Most studios contract it out.

They don't of course, but they do seem to have high standard requirements for what they want. Similar to Brains Base. Like you pointed out the last time, it's interesting how we can see what is important to a studio, even if they don't actually do the specific thing themselves.

Branduil

I can't. Seriously. A lot of orange/light brown in combination of my prior knowledge that it's set in a desert is making me not like it. Sorry.

I have to say this is one of the weirdest anime prejudices I've seen in this thread, and I've seen some weird ones. It's not serious or anything but I think it'd be a shame not to watch an anime just because you're prejudiced against the setting.

kayos90

I have to say this is one of the weirdest anime prejudices I've seen in this thread, and I've seen some weird ones. It's not serious or anything but I think it'd be a shame not to watch an anime just because you're prejudiced against the setting.

It's not just the setting though. I made it clear a while back that I don't like the visual aesthetics of Magi. It doesn't suit my tastes for whatever reason. When I look at it I just think... "Ugh." Then I watch some animes that have certain style/aesthetic and I go bonkers for it.

Geneijin

The aesthetic and presentation is a big aspect of the narrative for me. If there is part that I strongly dislike, even if it is good, I will most likely not give it any time. What I don't understand is that, there are people other than myself who don't do things because it doesn't appeal to them in some way shape or form because their values are different. What I'm upset about is how wonzo thinks i'm trolling and calling me reasons laughable when they can be perfectly valid.

Thanks for being prompt and courteous unlike certain users.
A more general statement you could have made was that the art and setting are unappealing factors for your interest and leave it be. I see your point being misunderstood because of things you've said earlier. Not everyone is a fan of Umakoshi art for example or animes with a high school setting to be even more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom