• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh come the fuck on. SAO is nowhere near as a bad as GC imo.

"Worse than Guilty Crown"
Weird. When I open that link, all I get is a blank page with a loud, wet, sucking sound playing in the background.
As far as 'ships in fluff anime go, Asuna and Kirito aren't actually all that terrible. I think they're kind of cute together in a weird way.
I agree. They're cute in a naive and earnest way.

CØDE:BREAKER 01

bCXHf.jpg

DTL approved.

So, let's start with the positives.
I like the OP and ED. Good song choices for both of them.
The action is pretty decent or whatever we have been shown. Hopefully it can keep it up and make it decent when there's more than just blue flames that burn everything.

Negatively, the two main characters are pretty boring. Girl is too gun-ho about stuff and doesn't seem interesting enough. (Dear lord, I'm sounding like DTL) But, the guy is pretty boring as well. Well at the very least, his personality is basically repeating the same phrase and whatnot. Basically, they seem like boring characters.

Will probably keep watching in hopes that there's a decent supporting cast or at the very least to hear the nice OP and ED every week.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think the biggest problem is the in-game "marriage" makes it seem way more serious than it would be taken in real life. The fact that they are "husband and wife" kind of makes it seem like they're a serious "true love" relationship.

Well... you have to couple that it's their first relationship, they're young, and they were bound to a life-or-death game.

yami4ct

Well... you have to couple that it's their first relationship, they're young, and they were bound to a life-or-death game.

Sure, it's as believable as it can be given the situation. I honestly think that most kids given those circumstances would be super committed to their relationship.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Brotherfucker 01:

Came for the colored eyelashes. Stayed for........well, nothing. I might be at my limit for terrible bullshit here.

Given that:

- there's a total lack of subtlety, with the imouto virtually begging oniichan to fuck her every sentence
- oniichan, like any good harem protagonist, is a soulless husk of an individual and it's a total mystery as to why he inspires taboo-transcending voracious cocklust in his imouto
- imouto has ass wrinkles thanks to really awkward fanservice that tried and failed to appear more "detailed" by adding lines where lines ought not normally go
- the music is aggressively terrible and sounds like the same shit out of a million other otaku shows
- oniichan manages to sprout an ENTIRE HAREM within a single episode, and
- the entire harem, imouto included, just happens to be the student council, and
- all of the harem manage to be one-dimensional animu character archetypes and extraordinarily obnoxious at the same time

This might be difficult to endure, even ironically. It's a shame, too, because imouto would have had pleasing character design for a protagonist in another show thanks to dem tsurime eyes and that winning black hair/purple eye combo. Here, she's just worthless fodder wasted on S-class creeper otaku who couldn't appreciate her anyway because they have no standards because they're watching this show in the first place.

Will watch at least one more episode to see if it can outdo itself. If it just ends up being same shit, different scenario, I'm dropping the hell out of this and never speaking of it again.

yami4ct

Hunter x Hunter: 49

I wasn't really in love with the Yorkshin arc when I originally read it in the manga, but I'm loving it here. Pacing feels much better and there's a lot of things that animation can bring to the story that just doesn't come through well on the page. You get a much better sense of time and space. There's a better feeling of how long things take and how far things are. The battles are also a lot more fun animated. I don't think this will top
greed island
for me, but I certainly see why it's the favorite of a lot of HXH fans.

Code:Breaker 1

Fuck this show.

Sakura doesn't sound how I imagined AT ALL. That will take some getting used to.

Also, there is some amazing foreshadowing in the OP that is so subtle, you would easily miss it if you didn't know the source material. In fact, it's so subtle that I'm wondering if it's unintentional. I mean, I can't imagine they'll get to
the reveal about Aoba
unless they go at a ridiculously fast pace.

cajunator

Banned
They act like kids their age in their first relationship act.

Its not the relationship thats the problem so much as the two characters being absurdly dull.
Its literally mr hero and his perfect waifu.
Maybe its because Ive seen too much anime like this but it is just ridiculously boring and contrived.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brotherfucker 01:

Came for the colored eyelashes. Stayed for........well, nothing. I might be at my limit for terrible bullshit here.

Given that:

- there's a total lack of subtlety, with the imouto virtually begging oniichan to fuck her every sentence
- oniichan, like any good harem protagonist, is a soulless husk of an individual and it's a total mystery as to why he inspires taboo-transcending voracious cocklust in his imouto
- imouto has ass wrinkles thanks to really awkward fanservice that tried and failed to appear more "detailed" by adding lines where lines ought not normally go
- the music is aggressively terrible and sounds like the same shit out of a million other otaku shows
- the entire harem, imouto included, just happens to be the student council, and
- all of the harem manage to be one-dimensional animu character archetypes and extraordinarily obnoxious at the same time

This might be difficult to endure, even ironically. It's a shame, too, because imouto would have had pleasing character design for a protagonist in another show. Dem tsurime eyes and winning black hair/purple eye combo. Here, she's just worthless fodder wasted on S-class creeper otaku who couldn't appreciate her anyway because they have no standards because they're watching this show in the first place.

Will watch at least one more episode to see if it can manage to outdo itself in badness.

Yet, it's still better than SAO. Go figure.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Brotherfucker 01:

Given that:

This might be difficult to endure, even ironically. It's a shame, too, because imouto would have had pleasing character design for a protagonist in another show thanks to dem tsurime eyes and that winning black hair/purple eye combo. Here, she's just worthless fodder wasted on S-class creeper otaku who couldn't appreciate her anyway because they have no standards because they're watching this show in the first place.

Will watch at least one more episode to see if it can outdo itself. If it just ends up being same shit, different scenario, I'm dropping the hell out of this and never speaking of it again.

You sir have a gift of making me laugh. i mean... just read the bolded sentence.

Yet, it's still better than SAO. Go figure.

Oh come on.

yami4ct

Its not the relationship thats the problem so much as the two characters being absurdly dull.
Its literally mr hero and his perfect waifu.
Maybe its because Ive seen too much anime like this but it is just ridiculously boring and contrived.

I understand the feeling. Once I turned my brain off and stopped asking for it to be actually smart, I started finding it kind of sweet.

cajunator

Banned
I understand the feeling. Once I turned my brain off and stopped asking for it to be actually smart, I started finding it kind of sweet.

The problem is that its an opportunity to set up a really exciting world with cool characters and situations but SAO chooses to be mired in the mundane.
Its just disappointing.
Accel World at least took the game world idea and made it fun. The avatars and battle forms looked cool and the fights were exciting.

yami4ct

The problem is that its an opportunity to set up a really exciting world with cool characters and situations but SAO chooses to be mired in the mundane.
Its just disappointing.
Accel World at least took the game world idea and made it fun. The avatars and battle forms looked cool and the fights were exciting.

None of this is wrong. SAO took a great premise and completely squandered it. It's just that sometimes I enjoy bad melodrama for what it is and SAO is fulfilling that for me right now.

Dresden

If it was the worst thing ever, it'd air on CBS. It does not, therefore it is not the worst thing ever.

Quantify this brah.

yami4ct

If it was the worst thing ever, it'd air on CBS. It does not, therefore it is not the worst thing ever.

Quantify this brah.

You are correct. SAO is not Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half men. Therefore, it can never be the worst thing put to TV.

yami4ct

No. This E7AO OVA is the worst thing I've ever seen in the past few years. It's truly horrendous. Worse than Guilty Crown.

I wish this wasn't true. I would give anything in the world for this to not be true, but dear god it is.

EDIT: I was speaking to the series, not the OVA.

yami4ct

Say what you want about .hack//sign but at least they made me give a damn about the characters. Also Kajiura's soundtrack is way better in .hack.

I really liked the way the series built up the character's real world lives overtime through subtle hints. It left a lot of mystery to what these people were like in the real world. SAO could have used that. Once they pulled the "The avatar now looks like you" card, I got really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom