• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

Say what you want about .hack//sign but at least they made me give a damn about the characters. Also Kajiura's soundtrack is way better in .hack.

yeah, she totally phoned it in, nothing stand out overall, now go listen to F/Z second OST and see the difference.

yami4ct

Imagine if SAO had left the character's real world selves as a mystery. How interesting would it to be for Kirito to meet Asuna and for her not to be the cute, fiery redhead he knew in game? I mean, maybe she isn't ugly, but she doesn't look the same. Could have been an interesting way to "test" their relationship.

cajunator

Banned
Imagine if SAO had left the character's real world selves as a mystery. How interesting would it to be for Kirito to meet Asuna and for her not to be the cute, fiery redhead he new in game. I mean, maybe she isn't ugly, but she doesn't look the same. Could have been an interesting way to "test" their relationship.

Asuna isnt that cute to begin with.
Sao has "cute" designs in general but she is about the most generic looking girl character possible.

I really liked the way the series built up the character's real world lives overtime through subtle hints. It left a lot of mystery to what these people were like in the real world. SAO could have used that. Once they pulled the "The avatar now looks like you" card, I got really sad.

Yeah seeing brief glimpses of the broken people that flock to MMOs is definitely better than what we got in SAO which is basically The Wizard except without the product placement.

yami4ct

Asuna isnt that cute to begin with.
Sao has "cute" designs in general but she is about the most generic looking girl character possible.

I sort of like her, but that's the beside the point. I just think the idea of them meeting in the real world and not being the people they knew in game would be an interesting plot twist.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
that sounds leagues better than sao could ever hope to be
Yep!

Imagine if SAO had left the character's real world selves as a mystery. How interesting would it to be for Kirito to meet Asuna and for her not to be the cute, fiery redhead he knew in game? I mean, maybe she isn't ugly, but she doesn't look the same. Could have been an interesting way to "test" their relationship.
Kagami posted this awesome thing from 4chan where the twist would be that all the harem members in this virtual world were all guys. Wonderful.

Yeah seeing brief glimpses of the broken people that flock to MMOs is definitely better than what we got in SAO which is basically The Wizard except without the product placement.

Don't insult The Wizard by comparing it to SAO. :(

yami4ct

That was always the best part of .hack//. I think the idea of exploring the lives of the people that need to escape to virtual worlds is a great plot that no one's really used to its full potential. When I first heard of SAO, that's what I wanted, but that desire was shot down in the first episode.

So, Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning

I wasn't expecting much from this considering it had been billed as a retelling of an early chunk of the series. These sort of TV show edits rarely do a good job of compressing the crazy amount of episodes they typically try to handle, but that's where T&B actually succeeds where others fail.

The film only uses
the first two episodes of the series
, which means that the pacing of the film as a whole is significantly better than most other TV anime to film productions. The first half of the film is devoted to that material, but there are enough changes and additional scenes that it feels like a fresh experience. Stuff like
the sequence in which Kotetsu is on his way home and sees the bridal ad, reminding him of his wife
being added was a nice touch.

The second half of the film is a completely new story with its own villain, and while he isn't exactly intimidating, his special ability made for some cool action sequences. Another nice touch was being able to
see the heroes each suit up into their respective outfits. Dragon Kid's back and forth with Blue Rose was super cute
. There are a lot of these behind the scenes kind of sequences, and the film is all the better for it.

Animation was pretty standard across the board with nothing really impressing. On the flip side, it was a very consistent production. If you disliked the CG in the TV show, you're not gonna be a fan of it here.

On the whole though, this was much more entertaining than I was expecting and it was good to just see these characters onscreen again. The next film isn't set for release until fall of next year, but that's supposedly going to be a completely new film. Looking forward to hitting that up when the time comes.

Narag

Eureka Seven AO OVA

I'm entirely unfamiliar with this franchise yet I can't help think this might be the best thing ever.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven AO OVA

Lots of references, very comedic, and it was nice seeing something.... different.

I hated it. I hope this burns in hell.

yami4ct

I wasn't expecting much from this considering it had been billed as a retelling of an early chunk of the series. These sort of TV show edits rarely do a good job of compressing the crazy amount of episodes they typically try to handle, but that's where T&B actually succeeds where others fail.

The film only uses
, which means that the pacing of the film as a whole is significantly better than most other TV anime to film productions. The first half of the film is devoted to that material, but there are enough changes and additional scenes that it feels like a fresh experience. Stuff like
the sequence in which Kotetsu is on his way home and sees the bridal ad, reminding him of his wife

The second half of the film is a completely new story with its own villain, and while he isn't exactly intimidating, his special ability made for some cool action sequences. Another nice touch was being able to
see the heroes each suit up into their respective outfits. Dragon Kid's back and forth with Blue Rose was super cute
. There are a lot of these behind the scenes kind of sequences, and the film is all the better for it.

Animation was pretty standard across the board with nothing really impressing. On the flip side, it was a very consistent production. If you disliked the CG in the TV show, you're not gonna be a fan of it here.

On the whole though, this was much more entertaining than I was expecting and it was good to just see these characters onscreen again. The next film isn't set for release until fall of next year, but that's supposedly going to be a completely new film. Looking forward to hitting that up when the time comes.

That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to see more of Kotetsu. I feel like his backstory was kind of left a little too empty at the end of the series. We get the majority of Barnaby's, while he takes a back seat. I just hope that these movies will eventually lead to the season 2 this show richly deserves.

Narag

That was always the best part of .hack//. I think the idea of exploring the lives of the people that need to escape to virtual worlds is a great plot that no one's really used to its full potential. When I first heard of SAO, that's what I wanted, but that desire was shot down in the first episode.

A lot of the charm of those characters is I knew folk similar to those at the time. Rewatching it is on my to-do list as I'm curious how good it actually was.

Dresden

That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to see more of Kotetsu. I feel like his backstory was kind of left a little too empty at the end of the series. We get the majority of Barnaby's, while he takes a back seat. I just hope that these movies will eventually lead to the season 2 this show richly deserves.

After seeing how the first season turned out, I don't.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Eureka Seven AO Jungfrau no Hanabana-tachi:

What the hell, Bones? I can't fap to this.

And it was still more fun and made more sense than virtually every episode of the show.

fertygo

I thought the second movie will finish the series.

Ultimadrago

Eureka Seven AO : Jungfrau no Hanabanatachi

This was...I'm having a hard time finding words to describe it.

However, I can say it was considerably more entertaining than most of Eureka Seven AO.

kayos90

Eureka Seven AO Jungfrau no Hanabana-tachi:

What the hell, Bones? I can't fap to this.

And it was still more fun and made more sense than virtually every episode of the show.

I agree with the bolded part

1128461.gif

Dresden

The last couple of episodes felt a bit rushed and weird, but not awful. The series on the whole is really fantastic. I think there are a lot of pieces that need to be expanded upon.

I thought the last two or three were pretty awful stuff. Felt as if they deviated from what was planned to stretch out the story, and to make room for season two. The conclusion is less a resolution and more just... stagnation.

Basically I'm expecting T&Bs2 to be the superhero equivalent of Gundam SEED Destiny.

this is runsise, dude.

fertygo

I think the only thing they've said is it'll be all new. While they could certainly wrap everything up in a single film, I really hope they don't.

Its sound better than possibility they drag it out IMO, if Sunrise want to milk the franchise, they gonna refresh the series instead.

yami4ct

I thought the last two or three were pretty awful stuff. Felt as if they deviated from what was planned to stretch out the story, and to make room for season two. The conclusion is less a resolution and more just... stagnation.

Basically I'm expecting T&Bs2 to be the superhero equivalent of Gundam SEED Destiny.

Nah. They still have the major villain of
Lunatic
running around. They also have to deal with what's happening to Tiger at the end of the show. The big problem with GSD, besides the awful writing, is there wasn't really much room after SEED. Add to the fact they switched to an awful new protagonist and that's what created that disaster. Tiger and Bunny is already a much stronger base, they sure as hell won't switch main characters at this point, and there's still stuff to explore. It may not turn out as well as the majority of season 1, but I still see a lot of hope for it.

Its sound better than possibility they drag it out IMO, if Sunrise want to milk the franchise, they gonna refresh the series instead.

I don't see how you can really satisfyingly resolve the
Lunatic
plot in one movie. I want just one more season. More than that would be too much, even for a die hard fan like me.

Jex

e7aothing.jpg

I suppose you'll really have to draw your own conclusions about this OVA. I think it's pretty grand.

duckroll

The movies are not "recap movies" at all. The first movie is an origin story using the first two episodes and then an original villain for the rest of the film. The second movie next year will be brand new, and some reports suggested that it would actually take place -after- the TV series. They're definitely approaching this like a superhero franchise rather than standard anime. So it's very possible that the second movie is another stand alone story featuring the characters, which might have hooks for season 2.

Season 2 is definitely happening. The director(s?) on the movies isn't the TV series director anyway.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I can't take my statement seriously either :(

What if it gets adapted into a live action show on CBS with Kirito played by Justin Beiber?

Dude, CBS makes shows for old people. Wrong demographic!

Kirito would probably be played by George Hamilton or some other senior actor. And I'd watch every episode.

Don't know until you try.

I believe that I can conclusively state that my original statement still stands.

yami4ct

The movies are not "recap movies" at all. The first movie is an origin story using the first two episodes and then an original villain for the rest of the film. The second movie next year will be brand new, and some reports suggested that it would actually take place -after- the TV series. They're definitely approaching this like a superhero franchise rather than standard anime. So it's very possible that the second movie is another stand alone story featuring the characters, which might have hooks for season 2.

Season 2 is definitely happening. The director(s?) on the movies isn't the TV series director anyway.

I know it's easy to see a season 2 as milking the franchise, but I think Tiger alone can hold at least one more season. More than that is pushing it, but there's still places to go after the end of S1.

fertygo

this is runsise, dude.

Nah.. its just bland, ketetsu vs barnaby resolution still good enough.

Bleh T&B premise never that grand to fail like Destiny, they gonna steal some plot from Civil Wars and its gonna be fine.

They gonna make Blue Rose the series instead.

yami4ct

Nah.. its just bland, ketetsu vs barnaby resolution still good enough.

Bleh T&B premise never that grand to fail like Destiny, they gonna steal some plot from Civil Wars and its gonna be fine.

They gonna make Blue Rose the series instead.

That's the only way to make a T&B show I do not watch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The film only uses

Hey, thanks for the writeup. I enjoyed Tiger & Bunny more than I probably should have, so you can consider me interested in seeing this now.

yami4ct

Hey, thanks for the writeup. I enjoyed Tiger & Bunny more than I probably should have, so you can consider me interested in seeing this now.
T&B is just a great action popcorn show. No shame for loving it. It's like enjoying Iron Man or any of the other super hero things that don't attempt to be that heavy a drama.

All this talk of the Eureka Seven AO OVA and no one is saying what is so great/terrible about it.

I think it's like most E7AO things in that you must witness it for yourself.

Instro

Sword Art Online 14

Having already known what happened clouds my impressions of this one, thus this episode was actually fairly enjoyable for me. Yes the events are quite stupid, very stupid in fact, however I have to give credit to the VA's for doing a pretty good job selling the whole thing, particularly Kirito's. The visuals didn't hurt either. Also, those clouds sure were nice. I could go for some more clouds.

Onward to the next adventure, forget the rest of fall season and continue to talk about SAO!

sonicmj1

Giant Robo 5-7 END

I fucking loved this. It's amazing in all the right ways, and it's stupid in all the right ways. Incredible music, incredible direction, and incredible VA performances.

Normally I hate overwrought melodrama, but this was perfect. I guess that sort of thing only works for me in hot-blooded manly contexts like this.

Better than Gunbuster. A pinnacle of its genre.

kayos90

Sword Art Online 14

Having already known what happened clouds my impressions of this one, thus this episode was actually fairly enjoyable for me. Yes the events are quite stupid, very stupid in fact, however I have to give credit to the VA's for doing a pretty good job selling the whole thing, particularly Kirito's. The visuals didn't hurt either. Also, those clouds sure were nice. I could go for some more clouds.

Onward to the next adventure, forget the rest of fall season and continue to talk about SAO!

This man gets it!!!!

cajunator

Banned

Welcome to the NHK touched on this to excellent effect.
One of the many reasons that show was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom