• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Giant Robo 5-7 END

I fucking loved this. It's amazing in all the right ways, and it's stupid in all the right ways. Incredible music, incredible direction, and incredible VA performances.

Normally I hate overwrought melodrama, but this was perfect. I guess that sort of thing only works for me in hot-blooded manly contexts like this.

Better than Gunbuster. A pinnacle of its genre.

That Imagawa touch.

fertygo

@yami
haters :eek:
The movies are not "recap movies" at all. The first movie is an origin story using the first two episodes and then an original villain for the rest of the film. The second movie next year will be brand new, and some reports suggested that it would actually take place -after- the TV series. They're definitely approaching this like a superhero franchise rather than standard anime. So it's very possible that the second movie is another stand alone story featuring the characters, which might have hooks for season 2.

Season 2 is definitely happening. The director(s?) on the movies isn't the TV series director anyway.

Now I never heard of this.. its cool then. Beside the mixed opinion about T&B, I still like to applause them with their brilliant idea, bad or not its still the most refreshing idea in sea of used niche that industry like to use.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Imagine if SAO had left the character's real world selves as a mystery. How interesting would it to be for Kirito to meet Asuna and for her not to be the cute, fiery redhead he knew in game? I mean, maybe she isn't ugly, but she doesn't look the same. Could have been an interesting way to "test" their relationship.

Not possible. Remember that their faces are exactly how they look in the real world.

yami4ct

@yami
haters :eek:

Now I never heard of this.. its cool then. Beside the mixed opinion about T&B, I still like to applause them with their brilliant idea, bad or not its still the most refreshing idea in sea of used niche that industry like to use.

Tiger & Bunny is the show that brought me back into anime. I shall defend it to the death. It's easy to be critical for not being smarter than it is, but I'm okay with that. It has problems like any other show, but I love it none the less. It also introduced me to the wonder that is Hiroaki Hirata.

Not possible. Remember that their faces are exactly how they look in the real world.

I know that. I was just imagining how cool it would have been had they not copped out and took the premise that far, like .hack// did.

Ultimadrago

Giant Robo 5-7 [END]

The conclusion of a great ride with mech action, super power people action (more of this than mech action!), manliness, tragedy, revenge and Giant Robo's roar to top it all off.

Seriously, the roar is great.

However, Big Fire is greater!

There was a brief 30 second trailer for Tiger & Bunny: The Rising after the end credits.

It looks like
it could go either way as to connecting to the TV series. There's a massive, shadowy glowing eye dude in armor. Can't see the details. Most of the city is in flames, buildings under water etc. Heroes look like they've been beaten to shit. Not much else though

All right, off to go write the full review. If anybody has any specific questions about the movie, feel free to ask!

EDIT: I also finally watched Chuunibyou 01. That was way cuter/funnier than I was expecting. Glad I decided to volunteer to cover this one. This and Magi should hopefully offset the ridiculous of SAO this season.

Defuser

Sword Art Online ep 14
Beginning was ok until everything logical that was within the game limits was thrown into the trash and introducing the well known deus ex machima which defies every fucking thing.

After the latest episode, it's sealed in stone now.

Htf1H.jpg
After 2 years he still want his goddamn pizza!

SAO 14

So... author got bored of writing this?

but he wrote like 10 more novels right?

I'm.... wait what just happened?

Should i read the ln? I feel like i missed something :X
SAO vol 1 consist of Ep 1, 8, 9, 10, 13 and 14. So basically the entire plot was within 1 volume which is why the ending seems bullshit. It was after Accel World got popular which Kawahara Reki is able start SAO again and wrote Volume 2 and side stories to flesh out SAO. Vol 3 and 4 cover the latter episodes we will be seeing next week which would be Fairy Dance aka ALO.

Sword Art Online 14

Damn, what a fast-paced episode. In the middle of a massive boss, and then suddenly,
FINAL BOSS!
I should have seen that twist coming from a mile away, but I didn't, and for that reason, I will say it was awesome.

Loved the fight scene. Great animation and choreography. Maybe not quite
"end-game"
material, but since that came out of nowhere, I can forgive that. Definitely my favorite episode yet.

Also props to A-1 for
making Kirito look how he should upon waking up. Of course, he shouldn't have been able to walk at all after a 2 year coma, but ah well, this is Nitpicking Art Online after all.

First time I really considered putting this in my top 10 for the year (of what's aired). Excited for what's to come.

cajunator

Banned
Has there been as hatable a villain as Dio in recent memory? JoJo is really old school. Not only are the men men, but the bad guys are irredeemable evil bastards.

I dont know about that.
As much of a douchebag as Dio is, he seems like an artificial villain.
He has no good side at all.
Its difficult to take him very seriously.
He reminds me of that mercenary from Elfen Lied who was just a big dick to everyone.

yami4ct

I dont know about that.
As much of a douchebag as Dio is, he seems like an artificial villain.
He has no good side at all.
Its difficult to take him very seriously.
He reminds me of that mercenary from Elfen Lied who was just a big dick to everyone.

That's kind of what I want from a show like JoJo. I don't want human villains. I want people I hate as much as possible and want to see get their asses handed to them. That's part of the fun of a super old-school fighting show like JoJo.

Uchip

Banned
Has there been as hatable a villain as Dio in recent memory? JoJo is really old school. Not only are the men men, but the bad guys are irredeemable evil bastards.

rewatching ippo, Brian Hawk is up there
just a really disgusting, over the top character

Jex

I thought the last two or three were pretty awful stuff. Felt as if they deviated from what was planned to stretch out the story, and to make room for season two. The conclusion is less a resolution and more just... stagnation.

Basically I'm expecting T&Bs2 to be the superhero equivalent of Gundam SEED Destiny.

I don't think it was just the last two episodes, I think it was probably the last third of the show. The series had slowly been building and resolving a variety of carefully plotted storylines and then suddenly it dumps all of them in favour of some really dump stuff. It felt extremely forced.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That's kind of what I want from a show like JoJo. I don't want human villains. I want people I hate as much as possible and want to see get their asses handed to them. That's part of the fun of a super old-school fighting show like JoJo.
Exactly what I wanted after the first episode. Cannot wait for a good Dio ass whoopin.

cajunator

Banned
I think we all want more than the little shit kicking he got. I want full on face being pounded into the ground.

Right.
He got a bit roughed up at least but I want to see Dio get beat into bloodpaste or something.
I want JoJo to give him a beatdown so bad its comical.

yami4ct

Right.
He got a bit roughed up at least but I want to see Dio get beat into bloodpaste or something.
I want JoJo to give him a beatdown so bad its comical.

Exactly what I wanted after the first episode. Cannot wait for a good Dio ass whoopin.

Yep, that's what makes this kind of show fun. The men are as manly as they can be, the villains are as over the top evil as possible and the fights are as insane as the animation budget will allow. We haven't seen this type of show in a long time and that's why JoJo's so exciting to me.

Gotta love animegaf when you just get finished watching an episode, enjoying the hell out of it, and then seeing everyone complaining about it to the point of claiming their IQ dropped :/

yami4ct

Gotta love animegaf when you just get finished watching an episode, enjoying the hell out of it, and then seeing everyone complaining about it to the point of claiming their IQ dropped :/

More SAO 14 not hate? High-Five! We need more people in here with that opinion. I feel like I'm fighting the world.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yep, that's what makes this kind of show fun. The men are as manly as they can be, the villains are as over the top evil as possible and the fights are as insane as the animation budget will allow. We haven't seen this type of show in a long time and that's why JoJo's so exciting to me.

Truefax: First episode made me want to get RIPPED.

Also, guess I'm going to have to watch SAO because the opinions are literally "love it or hate it" and it's going to bug the shit out of me if I don't find what it's like myself.

fertygo

As the franchise fan I must agree with that tho, despite his brilliance you can just feel he's kinda one dimensional.

Some later villain in JoJo is actually better character, and trust me they're not less bastard than Dio.

But still Dio's charismatic and iconic as hell, he's easily among top 5 villain that the most popular and influence at animanga.

Even his name is friggin' awesome.

Narag

I finished the LN after checking out 14. What gets me is it's like Kirito's internal monologues seem essential to what's going on and to help ground stuff. Anime seems to have adapted everything about the LN but those faithfully so it's bizarre to watch him Batman his way out of shit when he seems pretty naive most of the time.

Soma

Well I'm sure it's the same feeling when one doesn't like something that seems to be universally praised. That's the beauty of opinions!

I won't say the episode was that bad but for me personally, it was just too many little things piling up to a point where I don't have the motivation to continue with it any longer. Like I mentioned before, I do hope the next half of the show is at least entertaining for those who genuinely like the story but I guess it's just not for me.

Jex

[Sword Art Online] - 14

I thought this was pretty good, actually. For Sword Art Online. Once you accept the shows many, many problems (characters, writing, the fact that they keep breaking their own rules) there's plenty to be entertained by and A-1 do a pretty good job in terms of making everything look nice. The weakest part of this episode was definitely the 'conclusion' of the fight from the previous episode but then everything else went pretty well. I couldn't be bothered to grab any images of the episode but rest assured, it looked great.

As I've said above, you have to let many of this shows problems go if you want to derive any enjoyment from it, but still I feel like I should list the many problems that the writing in this episode has:

The game designed tells Kirio they'll fight on the top floor, but then don't, for no apparent reason.

Apparently if you don't want to die harder enough, you don't.

Even though Asuna and Kirtio and the Game Designer die, none of them appear to have actually died. They just go to some floaty game space and then, presumably, get to log out. This doesn't fit in with the established way the show handles dying.

The game designers logic trapping and killing thousands of people is non-existent. He also seems to escape scot free.

Apparently Kirito have never told each other their real names or made any arrangements for finding each other when they clear the game. You think they'd have discussed this once.

Kirtio can just get up and walk after being in bed for years.

yami4ct

As the franchise fan I must agree with that tho, despite his brilliance you can just feel he's kinda one dimensional.

Some later villain in JoJo is actually better character, and trust me they're not less bastard than Dio.

But still Dio's charismatic and iconic as hell, he's easily among top 5 villain that the most popular and influence at animanga.

Even his name is friggin' awesome.

I love that he is so evil, he'll bust into your house, try to take your life, and literally kick your dog. That's so comedically bad dude that it's awesome.

I finished the LN after checking out 14. What gets me is it's like Kirito's internal monologues seem essential to what's going on and to help ground stuff. Anime seems to have adapted everything about the LN but those faithfully so it's bizarre to watch him Batman his way out of shit when he seems pretty naive most of the time.

Well I'm sure it's the same feeling when one doesn't like something that seems to be universally praised. That's the beauty of opinions!

I won't say the episode was that bad but for me personally, it was just too many little things piling up to a point where I don't have the motivation to continue with it any longer. Like I mentioned before, I do hope the next half of the show is at least entertaining for those who genuinely like the story but I guess it's just not for me.

Oh, I'm not denying it has problems. I definitely think some complaints can be justified, while others defended. I was just immersed enough to either not notice the flaws or not care in this particular episode, which is really all that matters to me when I consume entertainment.

fertygo

I love that he is so evil, he'll bust into your house, try to take your life, and literally kick your dog. That's so comedically bad dude that it's awesome.

Yeah.. now I think about it, I don't think any other villain ever leave impression that fast lol.

Araki (the author) was such a magnificent bastard for someone that have face like angel for creating character like that.

The game designed tells Kirio they'll fight on the top floor, but then don't, for no apparent reason.

He's an overconfident villain who is pretty clearly insane. I'd actually commend the author for bumping up the finale when we didn't expect it. It reminds me of a certain fight in JoJo.

Even though Asuna and Kirtio and the Game Designer die, none of them appear to have actually died. They just go to some floaty game space and then, presumably, get to log out. This doesn't fit in with the established way the show handles dying.

The rules may work differently when the world is being destroyed.

The game designers logic trapping and killing thousands of people is non-existent. He also seems to escape scot free.

My interpretation was that he
died when he disappeared, or there wouldn't be much reason for Kirito to be crying expecting the same to happen to him. Why he didn't die, well I may have gotten spoiled on that.

Kirtio can just get up and walk after being in bed for years.

Yeah, I had a problem with this too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What if it gets adapted into a live action show on CBS with Kirito played by Justin Beiber?

The funny thing is that he played a recurring serial killer on the CSI mothership. lol

----

Ginga whatever:

KgyCxl.jpg

It's the start of a love triangle!

But really, as much as I understand why
sports shows have to go through a losing arc, it can get kind of tiresome when it happens in every single show. I'm hoping they can capitalize on it like with some Friday Night Lights style storytelling anyway. The next episode looks potentially interesting at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom