• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
This worth a thousand words of wrong here.
He9ia.png

I hate when people chag

Pooya

I just saw a screentshot from Magi on twitter, can't wait for gifs.
Aladdin is doing things to another man's 'breasts'
haha wtf is this.

[Sword Art Online] - 14
Even though Asuna and Kirtio and the Game Designer die, none of them appear to have actually died. They just go to some floaty game space and then, presumably, get to log out. This doesn't fit in with the established way the show handles dying.
For all we know that always happens, minus the
log out
part.

The game designers logic trapping and killing thousands of people is non-existent. He also seems to escape scot free.
I enjoyed Kayaba's speech, even if it doesn't even begin to justify what he did. His weary, lonely tone totally subverted my expectation of a mustache-twirling caricature. And even if he escaped scot free(which we don't know -- it seemed like he was going down with the ship to me), that doesn't seem like inherently bad writing.

Kirtio can just get up and walk after being in bed for years.
I didn't mind that too much since they
made him a pale, emaciated husk
. The fact that he looked like
Hobo Hei
was icing on the cake for me.

Grzi

BTOOOM! - 01

Didn't really feel it, but I'll probably watch a couple more episodes. This is probably my least favorite first episode of the season.

cajunator

Banned
Gotta love animegaf when you just get finished watching an episode, enjoying the hell out of it, and then seeing everyone complaining about it to the point of claiming their IQ dropped :/

This would describe about half of the stuff I personally enjoy.
I love a lot of anime that most of Gaf wouldn't touch.
Its not a bother, I just like what I like.
It doesn't matter much if people here enjoy it or not.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Koihime Musou - 03

Sousou is so damn cool. Hopefully there will be more of her in the following episodes. Zhang Fei (loli) is starting to annoy the piss out of me, but it was due to her aimless wandering that I was able to see my number one hero from the Shu kingdom, mothafucking Ma Chao!

Wk289.png

Oh Ma Chao, you were so fun to play as until I started using female characters.. *single tear*

I just wish they gave her a dragon helm. ;_;

And what's up with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei being the only characters that have their respective weapons from the series? :/

duckroll

Code:Breaker - Episode 1

I expected the worst from this after cosmic told me how awful it was, and the PVs weren't looking very promising. It's actually kinda okay though. Extremely average, the designs are literally generic because every character reminds me of some person from other different manga, there isn't a particularly great hook, but it's entertaining enough on a base level. The animation is pretty decent, and there are some nice effects.

I really like the ED, it's stylish and had some really nice animation touches. Takashi Tomioka handled the animation for it, so I guess that explains the higher quality. The OP wasn't too bad either. Some good cuts, standard shounen OP direction, but entertaining. Both songs fit well too.

As far as the story goes, it's pretty typical. A guy with secret powers transfers into a school, and a girl who is super popular and capable gets caught up in bullshit because she saw him doing something. Bad guys get roasted alive as the hero poses and sprouts Judge Dredd level bullshit from his mouth. Blahblahblah. Also, the episode has more dog violence than Jojo ep1 did. Lolz.

So yeah, I kinda enjoyed this and will watch ep2. Low expectations ftw! :D

-----

Magi - Episode 1

As a fan of the manga, this episode was really weird. Even with the expectation that they were rearranging the first few chapters into a different story, it still felt weird. Some things worked, while other things I felt didn't work as well. It's a very pretty show with high production values, nice music, good action, and nice effects, but I really wish they could have gotten a longer series to let the start of the story play out in a less compressed manner. A bit of a pity I think. We'll see how they handle the Dungeon stuff next week. That'll be a big test.

The OP is really nice though. Good visuals, lots of nice movement and sequences. Great colors. Nice song too. There's no ED animation in ep1, but the ED song sucks balls. Ughhhh. AKB48-knock-off-group confirmed. Just awful.

Magi - Episode 1

As a fan of the manga, this episode was really weird. Even with the expectation that they were rearranging the first few chapters into a different story, it still felt weird. Some things worked, while other things I felt didn't work as well. It's a very pretty show with high production values, nice music, good action, and nice effects, but I really wish they could have gotten a longer series to let the start of the story play out in a less compressed manner. A bit of a pity I think. We'll see how they handle the Dungeon stuff next week. That'll be a big test.

The OP is really nice though. Good visuals, lots of nice movement and sequences. Great colors. Nice song too. There's no ED animation in ep1, but the ED song sucks balls. Ughhhh. AKB48-knock-off-group confirmed. Just awful.

Hm. Haven't caught this yet but I'm very curious as to how they edited the first few chapters together considering the way the manga jumped around. If they're already going into the dungeon next week, that's a helluva fast pace.

cajunator

Banned
I hate when people chag

Chagers gonna chag.

Koihime Musou - 03
Sousou is so damn cool. Hopefully there will be more of her in the following episodes. Zhang Fei (loli) is starting to annoy the piss out of me, but it was due to her aimless wandering that I was able to see my number one hero from the Shu kingdom, mothafucking Ma Chao!

I just wish they gave her a dragon helm. ;_;

And what's up with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei being the only characters that have their respective weapons from the series? :/

Well at least somebody else enjoys Koihime Muso.

sonicmj1

This would describe about half of the stuff I personally enjoy.
I love a lot of anime that most of Gaf wouldn't touch.
Its not a bother, I just like what I like.
It doesn't matter much if people here enjoy it or not.

I think that's a good thing. I know I don't always succeed at this, but I think it's good to have enough confidence to proclaim that you like the things you like, and dislike the things you dislike, no matter how many people disagree. Even if you can take into account the insights that other people have, that's no reason to lose sight of whatever inspired the initial reaction you had to something.

Eureka 7 AO OVA

This was... strange. I guess it was some of the best material the show has had since those first two episodes.

It's absurd to a degree that the main series never even attempted, but I only think that's a problem if you take the episode seriously, which doesn't seem to me to be the intention of anyone making it. It's a fun piece of fanservice, filled with a bunch of nods and references to other works on a more comprehensive level than "Elena quotes an anime". And in service of that, the direction loosens up too. It's more exaggerated, which feels more creative and entertaining. Ao shows a pretty incredible range of facial expression that he never achieves in the TV series. And it ends with one of those giant monster battles that's more reminiscent of early-series skirmishes than the more recent meaningless, unsatisfying stalemates.

I guess, in short, it's free of all the emotional pretension, "dramatic" twists, and ridiculous metaphysics that drove the show off a cliff for me, and it reminds me of the stuff I liked about E7 AO in those early episodes. It kind of makes me wish that they hadn't put the Eureka 7 name on it so this universe could exist as its own weird thing.

Grzi

Oh, I also watched episodes 22-26 of Saint Seiya Omega over the last two days.
Episode 22 was bad, extremely ugly and boring, but the rest were kind of good, even great. They got better as I went on so I really can't wait to watch episode 27.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What I want to know is (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) why are we giving shows we consider to be "average" our time when there are much better shows out there that we enjoy more?

Defuser

What I want to know is (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) why are we giving shows we consider to be "average" our time when there are much better shows out there that we enjoy more?

Because it's average doesn't mean it's bad?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Some people even have Sailor Moon to watch!

Tomat

Yeah but why settle for average when there are shows we consider to be "great" available to watch?

Some people even have Sailor Moon to watch!
I'm pretty sure that was one of the first tv animes I ever came across. I had no choice but to think it was great because it was all I had :p

cajunator

Banned

Because watching terrible shows can be more fun than watching good ones.

Metrotab

Banned

When I watch an average show, it means I like the premise and I'm hoping it becomes better soon. Then, when I realise it's not gonna happen, I'm already halfway usually so I end up finishing the show just to see the finale.

Yeah but why settle for average when there are shows we consider to be "great" available to watch?

I watch average shows alongside great ones from my backlog. Makes the really good shows even better.

Code:Breaker - Episode 1

I expected the worst from this after cosmic told me how awful it was, and the PVs weren't looking very promising. It's actually kinda okay though. Extremely average, the designs are literally generic because every character reminds me of some person from other different manga, there isn't a particularly great hook, but it's entertaining enough on a base level. The animation is pretty decent, and there are some nice effects.

I really like the ED, it's stylish and had some really nice animation touches. Takashi Tomioka handled the animation for it, so I guess that explains the higher quality. The OP wasn't too bad either. Some good cuts, standard shounen OP direction, but entertaining. Both songs fit well too.

As far as the story goes, it's pretty typical. A guy with secret powers transfers into a school, and a girl who is super popular and capable gets caught up in bullshit because she saw him doing something. Bad guys get roasted alive as the hero poses and sprouts Judge Dredd level bullshit from his mouth. Blahblahblah. Also, the episode has more dog violence than Jojo ep1 did. Lolz.

So yeah, I kinda enjoyed this and will watch ep2. Low expectations ftw! :D

Yeah, the beginning isn't that bad. It shows some real promise. Unfortunately, it didn't progress the way I would have liked.

I actually do like the concept and a bunch of the fights/ability displays. It's just the awfulness of certain characters often overshadows the good stuff for me. It takes a lot for me to actually hate a fictional character, but Code:Breaker accomplished that. I was actually disgusted with a few based on their actions. YMMV of course, but it will be interesting to see what people think of it as it goes on.

Magi - Episode 1

Hmmm, that's too bad. I doubt I'll be able to look at impartially with my knowledge of the manga, which could hold back my enjoyment. I'll still watch it and probably like it though.

duckroll

I don't consider any show I haven't seen to be great or average. I have to see it first. How can there be shows I consider to be great but have not seen? That sounds like a contradiction. :p

cajunator

Banned
When I watch an average show, it means I like the premise and I'm hoping it becomes better soon. Then, when I realise it's not gonna happen, I'm already halfway usually so I end up finishing the show just to see the finale.

I watch average shows alongside great ones from my backlog. Makes the really good shows even better.

I just kind of watch a bit of everything.
Quality isn't of huge concern to me.
Welcome to animegaf btw.

BluWacky

Maybe this is why I fought there was a depressing aura about this thread earlier today.

SAO will do that to people.

Even if a show's average, if you enjoy it - you enjoy it. At least, that's what I tell myself when I remember I watched the entirety of Erementar Gerad.

Tomat

I don't consider any show I haven't seen to be great or average. I have to see it first. How can there be shows I consider to be great but have not seen? That sounds like a contradiction. :p
Hmm, you're right. I think what I meant to say was "why continue to watch a show that you deem to be average instead of looking for something better?"

cajunator

Banned
SAO will do that to people.

Even if a show's average, if you enjoy it - you enjoy it. At least, that's what I tell myself when I remember I watched the entirety of Erementar Gerad.

Oh my god. I looooooooooooooved Elemental Gelade. Reverie Metherlence is supercute. The soundtrack is great stuff from Yuki kajiura.
You rock.

Metrotab

Banned
I just kind of watch a bit of everything.
Quality isn't of huge concern to me.
Welcome to animegaf btw.

I consider 'quality' in its most abstract. Silly harem shows can be very entertaining if executed well. I, too, try to watch a bit of anything as I'm still in an exploratory fase (right now checking out mecha). I tend to enjoy most anime I watch, I'm not very discriminating concerning genre.

Thanks.

cajunator

Banned
I consider 'quality' in its most abstract. Silly harem shows can be very entertaining if executed well. I, too, try to watch a bit of anything as I'm still in an exploratory fase (right now checking out mecha). I tend to enjoy most anime I watch, I'm not very discriminating concerning genre.

Thanks.

What sort of shows would you like to explore?
For mecha you would probably like Gurren Lagann.

Tomat

What if I don't think there's anything better? :p
I guess that would mean you don't consider whatever you're watching to be average and you have reached the pinnacle of anime!

This is a pretty dumb question now that I think about it. When I think about the same question in terms of video games I notice that there are plenty of average games I have played that I don't regret spending time on. It makes me wonder though, if you enjoy something then do you really consider it to be average? Maybe I'm not using the rigt adjective to describe what I mean by "average" here. Mediocre might be a better word.

Maybe I should just go to bed ._.

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 27

These two images perfectly represent the kind of laziness and cheapness that leads to completely underwhelming shit like the new OP and ED. The terribleness of A-1 Pictures' digital composition is up there with some of P.A. Works "finest" moments. Fortunately, the writing is strong enough to make this episode enjoyable inspite of everything else.

spacebros27b.jpg

they've seen some shitthe latest episode of cosmos siblings

Instro

Magi - Episode 1

So by not reading the manga I am getting the superior anime experience?

cajunator

Banned
I guess that would mean you don't consider whatever you're watching to be average and you have reached the pinnacle of anime!

This is a pretty dumb question now that I think about it. When I think about the same question in terms of video games I notice that there are plenty of average games I have played that I don't regret spending time on. It makes me wonder though, if you enjoy something then do you really consider it to be average? Maybe I'm not using the rigt adjective to describe what I mean by "average" here. Mediocre might be a better word.

Maybe I should just go to bed ._.

I think you understand now why people watch bad stuff.
To them the entertainment value actually means the show is "good" as measured by entertainment value.
Some quality shows can actually fail to entertain despite having great production values.

Grzi

Sword Art Online - 14

I like watching other people play RPGs :(

The art and animation are awful in this episode, at least so far.

Scratch

Little Busters - 1

for someone who thoroughly enjoyed the visual novel, i'd say that little busters had a not bad start. nothing terribly interesting yet because of all the exposition and stuff. looking forward to see how this adaptation develops. here's hoping it can do justice to the VN

Metrotab

Banned
What sort of shows would you like to explore?
For mecha you would probably like Gurren Lagann.

Oh, I already have a backlog of must-watch shows for several genres, alongside stuff I found interesting by lurking here and there.

For mecha I took Gundam 00 (watched first season), Full Metal Panic (halfway first season) and Evangelion (haven't started yet). I'm keeping for Evangelion for last since I heard it was more complex ('deep') than the other two.

And TTGL was the second non-mainstream anime I watched, this past spring.

fertygo

Well I know what Tomat's mean is actually "Why'd you still watch SAO?"

Let be honest this is actually the best time to watch that, when its still airing.. Where its still fun to bash it together in forum thread, talking about how bad is it, ranting, internet goes crazy etc. Realize it or not many of us feeling that "pleasure". When its over its just another bad anime that no one care.

I think that's one of reason I'm staying with some of "bad"(n popular" title.

Metrotab

Banned
How are you defining "non-mainstream" here? Because that's pretty damn mainstream. Unless you mean like DBZ tier, which is nothing else.

'It aired on Belgian TV', basically. Pokemon, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, that stuff. I know anime has several tiers of obscurity (especially in America where you had Toonami and stuff), but I'm pretty much coming into the medium fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom