• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
God... Sao hate comments are fucking annoying... you guys had... 14 chances to drop the show. You'll have another 11 chances... why the hell are you guys still watching if you either didn't read the novel or don't like it? Are you masochists or something like that?

My nitpicks for all the previous episodes were mostly for fun. It was a fun show to nitpick because the concept allowed you to imagine the possibilities.

However episode 14 took a huge plunge in the logic department. Now I know endings are never anime's forte but like duckroll said in the other thread, you could figuratively feel the authors spunk slapping you across the face with the ideas he was pulling out of his rectum.

The main negative was the lack of any form of explanation. Even something as dire as the power of love is better than nothing.

There was a lack of explanation as to how
they overcame that skeleton boss.
Asuna got out of paralysis.
Kirito survived having his brain fried.
There was a lack of explanation as to why
why the game even exists!

For the last point they could have something as predictable as
he wanted SAO to be a true second life and with life there must be death.
Nope, not even that. I bet the truth is
he was drunk off whisky sake while watching Castle in the Sky.

Grzi

Not a bad storyline, is it?

It's amazing.

So yeah, as well as being the Batman, Kirito was the chosen one from the start. Great.
I'm going out to get some coffee with a friend, I'll finish the episode later, I don't want it to end quickly.

cajunator

Banned
People be talkin so fast in DMC. I wonder if its because of the episodes length :s

I really cant wait to get the series on dvd (no way its coming to bluray) and revisiting it.
I guess the joke eventually gets old but before it does it is incredibly hilarious.
How such a mild mannered kid becomes the raging asshole frontman of a death metal band.
Its amazing stuff.

Grzi

SAO - 14 cont.

The fight wasn't bad actually, some nice animation.

I'll stop the episode now, Asuna just got
cut down (wasn't she supposed to be paralyzed?
, Ill continue watching later.

Instro

Oh, I already have a backlog of must-watch shows for several genres, alongside stuff I found interesting by lurking here and there.

For mecha I took Gundam 00 (watched first season), Full Metal Panic (halfway first season) and Evangelion (haven't started yet). I'm keeping for Evangelion for last since I heard it was more complex ('deep') than the other two.

And TTGL was the second non-mainstream anime I watched, this past spring.

I would suggest Big O and Eureka 7 if you are doing mecha shows. Full Metal Panic is generally ok when its focusing on purely serious storylines like in season 1 and The 2nd Raid, Fumoffu on the other hand is a highly regarded pure comedy season of the series that you should definitely watch. Although it has little to do with mecha.

I don't know how but the hyperbolic orgy of hate for SAO (14) is making me love this show and this thread even more. Have two opposite things ever gone so well together?!

= = = = = =

Little Busters

Has anyone created a death pool on which character is going to eat it for the feels or is this not going to be that kind of show?

SAO - 14 cont.

The fight wasn't bad actually, some nice animation.

I'll stop the episode now, Asuna just got
cut down (wasn't she supposed to be paralyzed?
, Ill continue watching later.

Love
made her move (I know because it moved my heart as well :)lolololololololololololol))
man!

Overall, I think it's a wonderful ending to the series :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
BTOOOM! - 01

Sometimes I feel like anime is on repeat. Really uninteresting first episode that feels entirely unoriginal for so many reasons. Show is about as bland visually as it is conceptually. Still I will give it a few more episodes, if only because of a significant development my nakama duckroll told me about.

cajunator

Banned
One more hour of work then I guess Ill watch episode 14.
I dont have time to see more of SAO and this is good a reason as any to just get to the end and see how terrible it is.
Im genuinely curious.

Kazzy

One more hour of work then I guess Ill watch episode 14.
I dont have time to see more of SAO and this is good a reason as any to just get to the end and see how terrible it is.
Im genuinely curious.

You and me both!

We're bad people.

SAO 14

Not even reading the thread...I loved it, personally.

When anime has such a great and undisputed king, people love to prop up their popper princes in a meager attempt to usurp the throne. The truth stands and the kind is clad in fine fabric and adorned with gold and the poser princes of Anitopa have no clothes.

SAO is dead! Long live SAO!

Oh god... if only the haters' gifs weren't bannable... the next best thing...
hee :D...

Speaking of terrible anime...

Hataraku Maou-sama! Fantasy Light Novels Get TV Anime

Satoshi Wagahara's Hataraku Maou-sama! fantasy light novel series is getting a television anime adaptation that will premiere next year. In the story, a demon king named Satan is one step away from conquering his alternate world when he is transported to Tokyo of our world. He ends up having to work part-time at a fast food restaurant to make ends meet. In order to conquer Japan, he has to first move up from a freelancer to an actual employee. Meanwhile, the heroine Emilia has arrived in Japan also, in pursuit of Satan.

PV: http://youtu.be/dDnslncTIfs

Kagami

Thank you! I have a long and strange history with anime, before I even knew the word or that there was even a word to describe what I was enamored of. I think my history starts with Robotech in 1985 or 1986, even as a small child, the art, melodrama, and maturity of the plot and story hooked me. Syndication was so spotty back then I would scour through the TV guide front to back for any hint of Robotech in it. There was something about it, at the time I couldn't put a finger on it, but it was ANIME if I was flipping through channels and saw Battle of the Planets or whatever, my heart would skip, because I saw it, the style, the thing I was searching for.

It made me a lifelong fan. This season, last season, recently, it would be : K-On, A Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun, Haruhi, Idolm@ster, Hyouka (still have to watch the finale), Strike Witches, Fate/Zero (HUGE Type-Moon fan), Accel World, Tora Dora probably a bunch I'm not remembering. EDIT: Ore No Imouto too I have Bakemongatari and Amagami still to watch...What should I watch this season?
I think you and I are going to get along just fine.

If you haven't, check out Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai / I Have Few Friends, a.k.a. Haganai.
Seems a lot of people who like OreImo like Haganai also, and vice-versa.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 50
hxhr50.jpg
hxhr50a.jpg

Wow, it's a third OP and yet it's just a slight variation of the same shitty fucking song with some new character footage to intersplice the old, overused mishmash from the first two. Come the fuck on Madhouse! I'm gonna be mad as hell if they pull the same shit when they start covering Greed Island in about a cours worth of episodes.

OP aside, this was a pretty good episode. One of the more memorable moments from the first run was
Gon getting angry as fuck over the Phantom Troup's hypocrisy over mourning the loss of Uvogin and not the countless number of people they've murdered
and they did a pretty good job with that. The rest was also pretty awesome but that scene always stuck with me for some reason and I'm glad they pulled it off really nicely with this remake.

Stulaw

Loved the Ending of SAO,
I was rooting Kirito on to find Asuna
but one thing that made me curious was
Why the heck would anyone want to return? (Talking about the next time bit)
still, I'm glad I watched the anime :).

wonzo

Banned
Loved the Ending of SAO,
I was rooting Kirito on to find Asuna
but one thing that made me curious was
Why the heck would anyone want to return? (Talking about the next time bit)
still, I'm glad I watched the anime :).
Perhaps they're traumatized child soldiers that can't return to a normal life. Wait, that's a human response too realistic to be covered in SOA.

Kagami

Do they have it on Blu-Ray? I can only find DVD
I got the BD version, it's pretty nice.
Comes with postcards, drama CDs, character song CDs, slipcases, and reversible jackets.
http://i.imgur.com/7ci3d.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zJI41.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HQjBE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2mnLB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eDw6n.jpg

Sora no Woto is only available on DVD outside of Japan.
Oh...oh, outside Japan. My bad.

I HATE THIS INDUSTRY
9ljEN.jpg

Kagami

More SAO 14 not hate? High-Five! We need more people in here with that opinion. I feel like I'm fighting the world.
This is how I feel when people talk about School Days.

"It wasn't me who was wrong! It was the world!" - Lelouch Lamperouge

Dresden

Just saw the Magi OP. Nishigori is godlike.

Yeah, it's good stuff. I kinda wonder if...

...with the
cut at the end where Aladdin and Alibaba open the door, and it leads out into space with the blue planet hanging in the middle, we're heading towards an og-FMA twist later on. Maybe it could lead into a parallel universe where Yoshino's tit-sucking manga is real.

Just saw the Magi OP. Nishigori is godlike.

Agreed. It's fantastic!

Saw a young woman outside reading Magi vol. 14 while we were waiting for the train. It warmed my cold heart. -_-

EDIT: teaser poster image for the second Tiger & Bunny film is up.

097495fb.png

Saw this at the theater I went to.

Grzi

Sword Art Online - 14

It really wasn't a bad episode, a bit stupid but I definitely wouldn't call it bad. Can't believe people are comparing it to Guilty Crown.
The first part of the episode was the worst, the art was horrible, they skipped the fight, and the revelation felt really stupid.
But when the second fight started the episode turned good and I think it ended on a high note, much better than I expected it would.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
From The New World #2 - I wasn't really a fan of the 'tournament" section in the episode. But the second half of the episode was so good. I'm so in love with the tone and atmosphere of this series. It really resonates with me on a personal level.:eek:

Kagami

internal monologues seem essential to what's going on and to help ground stuff. Anime seems to have adapted everything about the LN but those faithfully so it's bizarre to watch
This seems to be a recurring theme with anime adaptations.

Firemind

The main negative was the lack of any form of explanation. Even something as dire as the power of love is better than nothing.

Exposition isn't always necessary. It's bad storytelling when the show has to explain the rules within the world in great detail. A show like DBZ does an acceptable job at it (my power level > your power level), ignoring how simple the quantification is. An example of needless exposition would be Taoru Majutsu no Index. It doesn't do the show any favours by having exposition dumps every odd episode. The writer has to explain enough to suspend your disbelief. Obviously, the amount varies from person to person.

In SAO, people's heads are attached to a device that kills them when they die in the game. That's enough to suspend my disbelief. I'm not going to criticize the show for the lack of exposition in the real world or how rules can be bent in their own little world. I mean I can, but it'd be akin to criticizing A New Hope because the Death Star has a design flaw where it'll implode if you shoot beams inside it. Logic dictates that it realistically shouldn't happen, but that's what makes it fiction. Good or bad.

About the paralysis:
The line: "I guess these things happen sometimes" made it fairly obvious to me that the bad guy had the paralysis wear off for the lulz. Classic trolling. No need to explain his jealousy or whatever trite villain reasoning.

duckroll

EDIT: teaser poster image for the second Tiger & Bunny film is up.

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/0/9/097495fb.png

Saw this at the theater I went to.

Yeah, that confirms that the second movie has the same director as the first one, as opposed to the TV director (who recently directed Asura, and should be doing the CG Saint Seiya movie next).

Hmmm? Nobody is gonna create the Magi OT at all?

Lots of time left. Crunchyroll isn't showing it until Wednesday!

As far as 'ships in fluff anime go, Asuna and Kirito aren't actually all that terrible. I think they're kind of cute together in a weird way.
Asuna x Kirito are one of the worst ships to arise this year. Her awful personality, weakness, lack of humor, incompetence, and design is all lacking. I haven't encountered a ship this bad since Naruto x Sakura, Ichigo x Orihime, Aizen x Orihime, Luffy x Nami, and Natsu x Lucy.

cajunator

Banned
Amazon Japan still lists all 7 volumes as in-stock, although most of them say "1 left"

That is so ridiculously tempting. I have the subbed DVDs so I can already watch the show, but it might be worth getting this set for all the goodies and music. Oh god I haven't been this conflicted since the Fate Zero boxes. But at least those had subs.

Uchip

Banned
Asuna x Kirito are one if the worst ships to arise this year. Her awful personality, weakness, lack of humor, incompetence, and design is all lacking. I havent encountered a ship this bad since Naruto x sakura, Ichigo x Orihime, Aizen x Orihine, and Luffy x Nami, Natsu x Lucy.

how is it a ship? it was canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom