• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka AO special...
I dont get it
was this supposed to have actually happened? this is like fanfiction within fanfiction

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days 6

6MLda.jpg

"Oh hello, I'm the star of a show you'd be far more interested in watching."

So far this show is as predictable as I said it would be. I called the so called "revelation" long ago but hey at least there's some drama now.

A break down of each characters half way through the show:
  • MC - still a dick
  • Best bud - one of the better characters in the show and I'd rather be watching his sad quest for love.
  • The "girlfriend" - deserves better.
  • The "best" girl - deserves better.
  • "Best" girl's friend - So :SDBurton it isn't true.
  • Oh and there's some other girls but they just tend to just bitch in the background and haven't really had much impact on the story yet.

Though saying that one of the other girls seems to have the hots for M.C.Dick. Moral of this story is that girls love cheaters which is why I'm going to be wearing a Game Genie around my neck.

fertygo

That Newtype's popularity award is pretty ok as far as "popular" title goes.

This is truly sad time for mecha anime though, last year T&B win mecha design, this year BSP win it.

The funny thing is that he played a recurring serial killer on the CSI mothership. lol

----

Ginga whatever:

KgyCxl.jpg

It's the start of a love triangle!

But really, as much as I understand why
sports shows have to go through a losing arc, it can get kind of tiresome when it happens in every single show. I'm hoping they can capitalize on it like with some Friday Night Lights style storytelling anyway. The next episode looks potentially interesting at least.

I would want one sports anime to do the unthinkable
and just have a team just win every single time,
Id like it.

Uchip

Banned
That Newtype's popularity award is pretty ok as far as "popular" title goes.

This is truly sad time for mecha anime though, last year T&B win mecha design, this year BSP win it.

t&b is hardly even mecha
its more of a super sentai thing

cajunator

Banned
School Days 6

So far this show is as predictable as I said it would be. I called the so called "revelation" long ago but hey at least there's some drama now.

A break down of each character half way through the show:
  • MC - still a dick
  • Best bud - one of the better characters in the show and I'd rather be watching his sad quest for love.
  • The "girlfriend" - deserves better.
  • The "best" girl - deserves better.
  • "Best" girl's friend - So :SDBurton it isn't true.
  • Oh and there's some other girls but they just tend to just bitch in the background and haven't really had much impact on the story yet.

Though saying that one of the other girls seems to have the hots for M.C.Dick. Moral of this story is that girls love cheaters which is why I'm going to be wearing a Game Genie around my neck.

Oh, but there's MORE to it.
Please continue. You're halfway there!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
School Days 6

It's called the Mankotoitis. And you, too, can get it.

Jex

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 1

I've been rather down on the whole production ever since I learnt that David Production would be producing and animating the show. I didn't particularly dislike Ben-To but neither did I feel that it was anything special and as there seem to be so many other talented studios out there that could have done a really amazing job with this property it felt like such a series would be wasted going to them. To draw a bad analogy, it's like hearing that a game you're really excited about is only going to be on an under-powered system. Nevertheless, this episode was substantially better than I was expecting.

Yes, its clear that DP doesn't have the talent or budget that BONES can deploy on some nonsense like Blast of Tempest and their limitations are fairly obvious. A number of scenes use stills or fairly light animation and the background art is kind of bad in places. The inside of the mansion is a mix of low-detail traditionally drawn objects, CG objects (such as the banister rail) and ugly colours:

JoJosTV3.jpg

Speaking of colours, I don't think much of the colour palette that they decided to use. I understand that in various scenes they use heavily stylised colours to good effect, such as this scene:

JoJosTV4.jpg

but in other's I really don't know what they were going for:

JoJosTV1.jpg

Perhaps the worst sequence of the episode is this POV running shot:

jojohouse.gif

Yikes.

It just goes to show that there's something very compelling about what they've accomplished here because, despite all these niggling issues, I actually really enjoyed the episode. I felt that it accomplished it's set goal very neatly, which was to compare and contrast the lives and desires of JoJo and Dio. They managed to cover a lot of ground in a single episode without feeling like they were rushing over the material. It was also satisfying from an audience perspective - we really want to see JoJo stand up to Dio and get one over on him. While the animation is restrained throughout most of the episode they really ratchet it up for all the important fight scenes in the episode. Speaking of the fight scenes, I enjoy the rough and ready manner in which the characters attack each other - it's not often that we see people getting properly smashed by elbows and whatnot. It seems very fitting for the characters in question to use such techniques.

I understand there have been comments about the particular style of writing used by this show but it never really bothered me. Yes, everyone is drawn a little large than life (especially Dio), yes things are very black & white and yes some characters are amazingly stupid (George Joestar is apparently blind and deaf to Dio's overt machinations) but it all works because the material is consistent with itself. There's even a few brief scenes which are narrated, something that usually really annoys me, but in the context of this show it seems perfectly fitting.

Finally, I think Kaiji might finally have some competition in the "most awkward scene of frustration in an anime series" championship:

jojofail.gif

/XX/

Guys, I'm worried about Articalys not appearing since his last post in here... did he say something more on IRC or anywhere else?

OMEGAKOSHI 27

The existance of this show was completely justified by this episode.
Adding to this: if SAO 14 was a season finale gone completely wrong, Omega 27 was the perfect season finale.
The sad thing is that there isn't more people left to care, many have run away already. At this moment a bunch will do this:

eh, I'll wait for the sakuga MADs.
... for example, because they are scared of what is to follow after that!

A-1 could easily hire all the key staff from the first season, because that's how they roll.
That Aniplex Inc., money! And tangentially I'll use this to talk about something I've just recall; with the prominent situation in which they are positioning themselves on the market, could this be the right moment to resurrect something like their AII content distribution platform, at least in Japan? They could challenge big players like Bandai Channel... or better yet, fold it into Sony Network Entertainment Inc., own services.

People be talkin so fast in DMC. I wonder if its because of the episodes length :s
I thought it was, and makes it more funny even! So win-win.

cajunator

Banned
missed this
I guess most of the people I know that are obsessive about cute anime are quite young
or creepy
but you dont seem creepy so I picked young in my mind

I'm not a creeper either.
I'm kind of a manchild though. I still act crazy, even at work and everyone likes that for some reason. However when there is serious work to be done I get down to business. The way I see it, you don't have to grow out of the childish things you love as long as you understand that those are not the most important things. You can be responsible and still enjoy anime and games.

The way I see it, you don't have to grow out of the childish things you love as long as you understand that those are not the most important things. You can be responsible and still enjoy anime and games.

Nailed it!

... nailed.. life I guess. But yeah, I think this is a smart way of looking at things.

Jex

Guys, I'm worried about Articalys not appearing since his last post in here... did he say something more on IRC or anywhere else?
He also said that he was retiring from the Manga thread and that he wasn't particularly thrilled by the negativity in the SAO thread/in this thread.

He posted his impressions in the Space Bros and SAO threads and not here. It looks like he's sticking to individual show threads.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The sad thing is that there isn't more people left to care, many have run away already. At this moment a bunch will do this:

... for example, because they are scared of what is to follow after that!
It's not that I'm scared, but more like bored by the rest of the package that I cannot justify just watching for the Umakoshi.

/XX/

He also said that he was retiring in the Manga thread.
But, man... why?

Articalys, you don't have to read all the posts if you don't want to, just post from time to time when you feel like it, but I don't find necessary to abandon completely this place like that.

duckroll

He posted his impressions in the Space Bros and SAO threads and not here. It looks like he's sticking to individual show threads.

He posted in the Jojo thread too! I better get the Psycho-Pass thread ready before it airs next week, so my buddy has a place to post his impressions!

Uchip

Banned
[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 1
but in other's I really don't know what they were going for:

not knowing what they were going for just adds to it
everything about it is eccentric and exaggerated, which is also why I enjoyed both the frustration scene and the angry power run scene.
Its like viewing 19th century England after a few tabs of LSD and its fabulous

I'm kind of a manchild though. I still act crazy, even at work and everyone likes that for some reason. However when there is serious work to be done I get down to business. The way I see it, you don't have to grow out of the childish things you love as long as you understand that those are not the most important things. You can be responsible and still enjoy anime and games.

id rather be weird than normal
you can either be the indeterminate pattern of energy in the universe like everyone else, or be an outlier composed of something quite different
yeah ive had a few drinks

Metrotab

Banned
There's a nice quote from CS Lewis on 'childish' things.

I personally have learned to ignore all artistic labels (childish vs adult, hipster vs mainstream, commercial vs independent, critically acclaimed vs panned) and to simply enjoy what I personally find entertaining. That goes for anime, but equally as much as for K-Pop, VNs, cartoons...

There is good to be found in any medium. I don't see the point of arbitrarily limiting myself.

Pirabear

Banned
JoJo 1 was great. As someone whose only experience with the series were the DC game, parts of the OVA and the general Internet culture surrounding it, I basically loved the presentation of the show. Dio's douchebaggery was unreal, I couldn't hate him since it was so over the top and ridiculous.

Roughly how many chapers of the manga did the first episode cover anyway? I've heard quite a few of my friends and people online tell me it was going really fast.

BluWacky

The sad thing is that there isn't more people left to care, many have run away already.

I gave up on Seiya Omega long ago, but I gave this episode a try because of 7th's excitement.

I don't know, it didn't really do anything for me. I was expecting some kind of epic fight scene instead of the glowy beams of light bashing into things that we got. While it didn't look ugly by any means, there wasn't anything particularly exciting visually - and the story is no more exciting for me than it was when I dropped it.

I can see why, if you're properly invested in the show, this would have been a good episode, because it's a good climax to an arc and appropriately dramatic. But from a very casual watcher there's nothing here to particularly excite the mind or the senses.

OceanBlue

That Aniplex Inc., money!
I looked up most of the main staff just now and they don't particularly seem to be tied to AIC (although to be honest I don't know of many staff members tied particularly to AIC), so I'm sure there's no big difference. Maybe they'd rather have their own animation studio producing it. Or maybe they were busy with Haganai, I guess.

:(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
There's no point being grown up if you can't be a little childish sometimes.

Do you fancy a jelly baby?

duckroll

JoJo 1 was great. As someone whose only experience with the series were the DC game, parts of the OVA and the general Internet culture surrounding it, I basically loved the presentation of the show. Dio's douchebaggery was unreal, I couldn't hate him since it was so over the top and ridiculous.

Roughly how many chapers of the manga did the first episode cover anyway? I've heard quite a few of my friends and people online tell me it was going really fast.

The first episode covers the first 5 chapters. A little over 100 pages. I expect that they'll slow down a tad bit after this. The next two episodes should still go pretty quickly, but Phantom Blood in particular takes a while to "get going", so this is a good thing because otherwise the anime would be pretty boring.

Narag

But, man... why?

Articalys, you don't have to read all the posts if you don't want to, just post from time to time when you feel like it, but I don't find necessary to abandon completely this place like that.

Hopefully the next SAO arc delivers as the criticism of the show really got to him and I fear it's because he thinks it reflects poorly on him since he enjoys it quite a bit. I certainly don't want to see him go but if ia temporary absence is necessary to get his stress levels in order, so be it.

duckroll

ducky do we know who did this shot?

I tried to use my superhuman powers to zoom and enhance the text on the top right, but alas, it seems that real life is not like CSI. :(

When there's a better scan we'll find out.

not knowing what they were going for just adds to it
everything about it is eccentric and exaggerated, which is also why I enjoyed both the frustration scene and the angry power run scene.
Its like viewing 19th century England after a few tabs of LSD and its fabulous

Yeah I actually love the way scenes are composed in Jojo. Even when it's "bad" in a technical way, it works on an emotional level. It's just one crazy ride, and the material is strong enough to be interesting and effective. What matters most is that I can feel the intentions of the people making it, and their passion.

Westlo

Hopefully the next SAO arc delivers as the criticism of the show really got to him and I fear it's because he thinks it reflects poorly on him since he enjoys it quite a bit. I certainly don't want to see him go but if ia temporary absence is necessary to get his stress levels in order, so be it.

He's an Asuna fan yeah? He aint coming back in this thread next arc....

Steroyd

Don't you make me make a list for you to show you that you're wrong! Heck, I might even need to make an argument too.

Wouldn't that devolve into me adding damn near every shoujo series?

Besides she's second in command of the strongest guild, meaning she can at least put up a fight and the fact that she was useful and actually helped Kirito on at least one occasion puts her above Saber-tier.

For every Korbo (Spice & Wolf), there's a Louise (Zero no Tsukaima) Suou (Darker than Black: *blank*) and Yui (K-ON).

OceanBlue

Sometimes, it's not fun to participate in a place when you have to deal with them bashing something you like all the time. I can understand how it'd be tough, since I'm kinda experiencing the same thing somewhere else. I hope he comes back though.

Uchip

Banned
Wouldn't that devolve into me adding damn near every shoujo series?

Besides she's second in command of the strongest guild, meaning she can at least put up a fight and the fact that she was useful and actually helped Kirito on at least one occasion puts her above Saber-tier.

For every Korbo (Spice & Wolf), there's a Louise (Zero no Tsukaima) Suou (Darker than Black: *blank*) and Yui (K-ON).

I do have to agree that jexhios is forgetting the sheer quantity of junk anime out there

God... Sao hate comments are fucking annoying... you guys had... 14 chances to drop the show. You'll have another 11 chances... why the hell are you guys still watching if you either didn't read the novel or don't like it? Are you masochists or something like that?

I totally agree .there are plenty of worse things out there ..but suddenly everything Sao does get nitpicked to hell .

My nitpicks for all the previous episodes were mostly for fun. It was a fun show to nitpick because the concept allowed you to imagine the possibilities.

However episode 14 took a huge plunge in the logic department. Now I know endings are never anime's forte but like duckroll said in the other thread, you could figuratively feel the authors spunk slapping you across the face with the ideas he was pulling out of his rectum.

The main negative was the lack of any form of explanation. Even something as dire as the power of love is better than nothing.

There was a lack of explanation as to how
they overcame that skeleton boss.
Asuna got out of paralysis.
Kirito survived having his brain fried.
There was a lack of explanation as to why
why the game even exists!

For the last point they could have something as predictable as
he wanted SAO to be a true second life and with life there must be death.
Nope, not even that. I bet the truth is
he was drunk off whisky sake while watching Castle in the Sky.

it feel flat to complain about the lack of explanations ( that are the result of the impossibility to adapt everything ) when the same problems were in the previous episodes.

And i love how Nobody question the vilain true motives
when he was basicly lying to everyone for 2 years
. You'd think that's it ?

The answer to how they defeated the boss is obvious .. it was given in ep13 .. funny as it is that you'd expect to see it in action when the plot skipped almost every other floor boss before

cajunator

Banned
Sometimes, it's not fun to participate in a place when you have to deal with them bashing something you like all the time. I can understand how it'd be tough, since I'm kinda experiencing the same thing somewhere else. I hope he comes back though.

I think I've listed all the things I like or believe in general that the entirety of Gaf would love to bash into the ground and stomp on the ashes of. But I wont list them again. Its rather trivial. If there's one thing that I got from posting on the internet for many years, it is a sense of confidence and a thick skin. This has translated to real life, where I no longer give a shit what people think about my life as I'm content to live it. We are who we are and we like what we like. If people want to bash it, they have a right to do that too. But it doesnt make it wrong to enjoy something just because others dont like it. Obviously this doesnt apply to breaking laws, which are absolute.

Uchip

Banned
I totally agree .there are plenty of worse things out there ..but suddenly everything Sao does get nitpicked to hell .

I think people are just disappointed because the premise genuinely had them intrigued
and something that initially interests you and lets you down is going to have people commenting on it more than all of the bad shows they dont watch

Yeah I actually love the way scenes are composed in Jojo. Even when it's "bad" in a technical way, it works on an emotional level. It's just one crazy ride, and the material is strong enough to be interesting and effective. What matters most is that I can feel the intentions of the people making it, and their passion.

bollywood could learn a thing or two

/XX/

It's not that I'm scared, but more like bored by the rest of the package that I cannot justify just watching for the Umakoshi.
In my case, I was genuinely scared of the inconsistency (see this as 'QUALITY' even), as in it was 'painful' to watch what they would do next with this...

I can see why, if you're properly invested in the show, this would have been a good episode, because it's a good climax to an arc and appropriately dramatic. But from a very casual watcher there's nothing here to particularly excite the mind or the senses.
Yeah, I thought seeing individual episodes wouldn't work this time around, you have to suffer first!

wsippel

Banned
Totally agree with you. I'm 33 and a freelance business consultant and programmer. That's usually very dry, serious, and taxing (I still love what I do, though). Games and stupid anime shows are a great way to relax and keep the inner child alive, which in turn helps being more creative.

fertygo

Perhaps the worst sequence of the episode is this POV running shot:

n .gif

I thought that's the best scene on the episode tbh lol.

Yeah I know its badly done with CG n such, but its just so emotional lol, followed with screaming n stuff.. at least the idea's right if that's the case.

Hunter x Hunter 50
tumblr_mbir3aVfOk1rq8fcso2_250.png

Going back to the first version of Departure! I hope that means that next week will be a different song, though I kind of like Departure, especially the Uvo image when the song says "You can smile".

This episode was quite amazing especially off of last weeks, Gon and Killua always have such a gripping moment, and this time like last I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Both Gon statements to Killua
when they were in the room and then the one when they escaped and Gon was like its his job to be stupid and Killua's to be cool and etc
were really awesome and touching. Love their bond and friendship so much and I hope we get way more time with them.

50 episodes in and I think I enjoy this way more than most of the other long running series were at for 50 episodes. Going back I think Ive only had really minor complaints that arent really important in the grand scheme of the series. After experiencing some of YYH (up to volume 5) and now HxH, this writer for this series is really talented and consistently delivers much of what I want. Id definitely put him in my top three writers for manga, and is possibly starting to rival and dethrone Fairy Tail as my favorite longish shounen series.

Uchip

Banned
duckroll can't go anywhere till he's coughed to up some impressions for the Eureka Seven: AO OVA.

how can someone even give detailed impressions for that without sounding stark raving mad

Hunter x Hunter 50 Love their bond and friendship so much and I hope we get way more time with them.

as long as you're not being lecherous I agree and you will probably enjoy the show more from here on

OceanBlue

I think I've listed all the things I like or believe in general that the entirety of Gaf would love to bash into the ground and stomp on the ashes of. But I wont list them again. Its rather trivial. If there's one thing that I got from posting on the internet for many years, it is a sense of confidence and a thick skin. This has translated to real life, where I no longer give a shit what people think about my life as I'm content to live it. We are who we are and we like what we like. If people want to bash it, they have a right to do that too. But it doesnt make it wrong to enjoy something just because others dont like it. Obviously this doesnt apply to breaking laws, which are absolute.

I agree, and I'm not really condemning anyone for anything. People are free to have their own opinions and there isn't anything wrong with expressing them. I think that's what makes it tough for people whose opinions are in the minority, because the more respect you have towards others' opinions, the easier it is to question your own opinion, and that's kinda frustrating.

Well, I won't pretend to be Articalys or to speak for him. I'm just saying that it's still possible for people to get put off by discussion, even though no one might necessarily be in the wrong. I think I'm being rude by placing myself in Articalys's place, but I just wanted to clarify on what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom