• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Eureka Seven AO - Flawless Flowers in Jungfraujoch

I'm not even going to bother saying more about this. This is a gag OVA with a one track mind, and this is the track:

SEnuT.jpg

kuCPW.jpg

Cqib0.jpg

5ovyd.jpg

30 minutes of this shit. Over and over. Take that as you will. I'm going to go hide under a blanket now. Bye.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Magi 01:

It was alright, I guess. Nothing particularly special, one or two nicely animated bits toward the end but otherwise it's average. Overall the artwork and animation were alright, some stuff looked bad though. It has good music, which is nice.

Not sure if I'll continue.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'm not even going to bother saying more about this. This is a gag OVA with a one track mind, and this is the track:

30 minutes of this shit. Over and over. Take that as you will. I'm going to go hide under a blanket now. Bye.
Glorious, wasn't it? Watching Ao slowly accepting his inner crossdresser was nice~

cjkeats

Hyouka 11.5
It wouldn't be a school anime without the obligatory pool/beach/someexcusetoputthegirlsinbikinis episode.

Interesting that a bonus episode drops something I'd consider to be a pretty big bomb like
his sister returning. I didn't think she was gonna stick around and it was gonna be one of those "I'm just visiting for a bit, but I'll disappear before the next real episode like I was never here" things the way it never showed her face, but judging by episode 12 she's here to stay and her face isn't.

Speaking of obligatory school anime episodes, the school festival is here!. This episode made me realize I have no idea what the Classics Club is or what it actually does, or what it's manuscript is supposed to be.

This new ending is adorable, I love it.

BluWacky

From the New World 02
2. The teacher seem don't give a shit
when the student playing trick n cheating with the rules, they just given the task n expect they complete in no matter what.. its like mindset in the real battlefield.

But
the student who cheats is taken by the Nekodamashi. The village knows that he cheated in the tournament - that's why he vanishes. Like Reiko in the first episode, anyone who doesn't conform to the rules - whether it's having the Power or cheating in the tournament - is made to vanish.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
the terribleness was overhyped here
when it came down to it the only thing that really disappointed me was the appearance not being disheveled enough :)

I have done my duty. I have successfully fulfilled my missions to make the ending of Aincrad not so terrible. I am proud.

fertygo

But
the student who cheats is taken by the Nekodamashi. The village knows that he cheated in the tournament - that's why he vanishes. Like Reiko in the first episode, anyone who doesn't conform to the rules - whether it's having the Power or cheating in the tournament - is made to vanish.

Now I miss that, I thought that's metaphor :(

I should paid more attention, thanks for clearing that.

Jex

I'm sorry that you can't appreciate fun!

kayos90

I'm sorry that you can't appreciate fun!

You should've known that if I hated it, duckroll would hate it too if not more.

EDIT: Also, you fuckers added 7 pages while I was sleeping. I had to catch up on so much crap. And you actually posted stuff I wanted to talk about in relation to SAO. Now I have to quote and reply to this shit!

kayos90

So Kayos hates fun too? Why am I not surprised. :(

That was nowhere near fun.

Sword Art Online ep 14
Beginning was ok until everything logical that was within the game limits was thrown into the trash and introducing the well known deus ex machima which defies every fucking thing.

After 2 years he still want his goddamn pizza!

SAO vol 1 consist of Ep 1, 8, 9, 10, 13 and 14. So basically the entire plot was within 1 volume which is why the ending seems bullshit. It was after Accel World got popular which Kawahara Reki is able start SAO again and wrote Volume 2 and side stories to flesh out SAO. Vol 3 and 4 cover the latter episodes we will be seeing next week which would be Fairy Dance aka ALO.

Honestly, I find Fairy Dance to be a much more cohesive, fun, and action-packed that Aincrad. It's less rage enducing, as long as you stay away from the new Team, and it's easily enjoyable due to how the new game works. The premise will leave people in hatred though. I can already feel it.

kayos90

Kayos hates pretty much everything.

That's not true! I love fun. I just hate aimless, nonsensical fun, that deviates from everything and anything with the main series. I don't know how to exactly explain my dislike of that ova. meh, w/e.

Sword Art Online 14

Damn, what a fast-paced episode. In the middle of a massive boss, and then suddenly,
FINAL BOSS!
I should have seen that twist coming from a mile away, but I didn't, and for that reason, I will say it was awesome.

Loved the fight scene. Great animation and choreography. Maybe not quite
"end-game"
material, but since that came out of nowhere, I can forgive that. Definitely my favorite episode yet.

Also props to A-1 for
making Kirito look how he should upon waking up. Of course, he shouldn't have been able to walk at all after a 2 year coma, but ah well, this is Nitpicking Art Online after all.

First time I really considered putting this in my top 10 for the year (of what's aired). Excited for what's to come.

Glad you liked it. I found the pacing to be fairly good but I was disappointed that they skimped on the boss. I mean... heck, they finished it before the OP.

I finished the LN after checking out 14. What gets me is it's like Kirito's internal monologues seem essential to what's going on and to help ground stuff. Anime seems to have adapted everything about the LN but those faithfully so it's bizarre to watch him Batman his way out of shit when he seems pretty naive most of the time.

They are. It's more important in the side stories because it's needed for Kirito's characterization. I'm wondering as a result how they're going to handle Fairy Dance due to this.

Jex

I'd also like to add that the E7:AO OVA isn't just a series of cross-dressing jokes. It's also a series of fanservice references to other anime! To think some have claimed it has a one track mind...

Narag

That's not true! I love fun. I just hate aimless, nonsensical fun, that deviates from everything and anything with the main series. I don't know how to exactly explain my dislike of that ova. meh, w/e.

Latent racism acting up given how much you hate the Swiss. :(

kayos90

[Sword Art Online] - 14

I thought this was pretty good, actually. For Sword Art Online. Once you accept the shows many, many problems (characters, writing, the fact that they keep breaking their own rules) there's plenty to be entertained by and A-1 do a pretty good job in terms of making everything look nice. The weakest part of this episode was definitely the 'conclusion' of the fight from the previous episode but then everything else went pretty well. I couldn't be bothered to grab any images of the episode but rest assured, it looked great.

As I've said above, you have to let many of this shows problems go if you want to derive any enjoyment from it, but still I feel like I should list the many problems that the writing in this episode has:

The game designed tells Kirio they'll fight on the top floor, but then don't, for no apparent reason.

Apparently if you don't want to die harder enough, you don't.

Even though Asuna and Kirtio and the Game Designer die, none of them appear to have actually died. They just go to some floaty game space and then, presumably, get to log out. This doesn't fit in with the established way the show handles dying.

The game designers logic trapping and killing thousands of people is non-existent. He also seems to escape scot free.

Apparently Kirito have never told each other their real names or made any arrangements for finding each other when they clear the game. You think they'd have discussed this once.

Kirtio can just get up and walk after being in bed for years.

The anime does a shitty job of making certain things clear. I'll concede to that. However, the LN does a better job than not to explain some stuff. I'll try and answer if you are.

1.) Kirito felt the need to fight now since it might be unsafe for people to travel 25 more floors. If he has a chance to minimize casualties while having the opportunity to save everyone, he would do it.

2.) Yup. I can't describe this as anything more than an asspull.

3.) They did die. In the LN, Kayaba Akihiko says that they're all dead, however, he created that area so he can talk with them before they go their ways. Hence, why Asuna and Kirito were crying at the end.

4.) Will not answer this yet.

5.) They're dumb kids. Plus they were sort of living in the moment.

6.) Nothing.

Latent racism acting up given how much you hate the Swiss. :(

I'm not racist....

That's kinda offensive to imply that duckroll has terrible taste in shows.

WOW! That's not what I meant at all!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nope.

Hooray. So, for real this time:

Code:Breaker 01:

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It had attractively dated if generic character designs, clean presentation, a few moments of good animation, and an OST that had a few impressive orchestral tracks. Ogami is undoubtedly going to be an insufferable asshole, but I like the dynamic he has with his moral foil Sakurakouji. She's immediately established to be somewhat of a Mary Sue (most attractive and athletic girl in school, has superhuman night vision eyesight and photographic memory, etc.) but--and I fully recognize that this is shallow--I love her character design and she's a fairly adorable character, and the prospect of watching this would be much less bearable if it was nothing but stock angsty bishounen Ogami meting out justice.

The
animal cruelty
in this was fucking brutal, though. Damned hard to watch, and I fully own up to what that says about me given that I'm not complaining about
people being incinerated

kayos90

Oh, I'm not denying it has problems. I definitely think some complaints can be justified, while others defended. I was just immersed enough to either not notice the flaws or not care in this particular episode, which is really all that matters to me when I consume entertainment.

That's how I felt when I was reading through the LN. It's so addictive and fun that I easily overlook these parts.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Oh, man. I can't believe I didn't notice it until seeing that post. I missed the entire point of the ED until now. I'm so slow.

I thought it was just a "haha, the guys are the baddies and the girls are the detectives" fun thing. I guess it makes more sense in context after I finished the series.
Wanted, as in wanted romantically by the girls.

Deep.

kayos90

Sword Art Online - 14

I like watching other people play RPGs :(

The art and animation are awful in this episode, at least so far.

Animation was pretty solid. Did you not watch the fight scene. It was fairly well done. Nothing compared to episode 2 and 9 though.

Oh, man. I can't believe I didn't notice it until seeing that post. I missed the entire point of the ED until now. I'm so slow.

I thought it was just a "haha, the guys are the baddies and the girls are the detectives" fun thing. I guess it makes more sense in context after I finished the series.

Deep.

I thought this was clear since that ED first aired....

Jex

Deep.

And people complain when I point out things that are 'too obvious'!

kayos90

My nitpicks for all the previous episodes were mostly for fun. It was a fun show to nitpick because the concept allowed you to imagine the possibilities.

However episode 14 took a huge plunge in the logic department. Now I know endings are never anime's forte but like duckroll said in the other thread, you could figuratively feel the authors spunk slapping you across the face with the ideas he was pulling out of his rectum.

The main negative was the lack of any form of explanation. Even something as dire as the power of love is better than nothing.

There was a lack of explanation as to how
they overcame that skeleton boss.
Asuna got out of paralysis.
Kirito survived having his brain fried.
There was a lack of explanation as to why
why the game even exists!

For the last point they could have something as predictable as
he wanted SAO to be a true second life and with life there must be death.
Nope, not even that. I bet the truth is
he was drunk off whisky sake while watching Castle in the Sky.

Kirito survived having his brain fried because while he did die in-game, Kayaba Akihiko created a zone where he could talk to him therefore delaying the process. In the end, however, he decided to let him live.

If you continue reading you'll see those are only my partial impressions :)

Oh yeah. I forgot. I know one person did that. Nvm.

Kazzy

Deep.

Wat?! After all, it's how they escape.

OceanBlue

Deep.

I'm sorry, but the fact that you put that in spoilers made this even funnier to me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kirito survived having his brain fried because while he did die in-game, Kayaba Akihiko created a zone where he could talk to him therefore delaying the process. In the end, however, he decided to let him live.
OK, I'll accept that even if the show didn't make that clear whatsoever. It's a good thing I ask these ridiculous questions because it's the only way I've learnt half of what is going on in this show.
However that doesn't explain
how he came back. If he was warped to a "dead zone" he should have stayed there. See if in the last moments with the smallest sliver of health he chopped the other guys head off and thus didn't die because the game was over I'd accept it. But coming back reeked of arse pullery of the first degree. Shameful writing.

I like the new (?) girl's hair.
Isn't that Kirito's sister, or am I remember her wrong? We only got smaller ganders of her.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Welp, +1 infinite backlog

Nice. The main characters are from the Shu dynasty, with Guan Yu being the lead. I thought it was going to be cute, innocent fun... but there's some pretty lewd stuff going on in here.

Isn't that Kirito's sister, or am I remember her wrong? We only got smaller ganders of her.

I believe it is. Hopefully
she doesn't punk out like Liz and give up on Kirito from the get go.

Ixion Saga DT 1

Gintama-style humor in a fantasy action RPG setting. The wise-cracking lead, the perverted humor, the trolls all over the place - it's the exact opposite of all those dumb fantasy shows that take themselves way too seriously. Shinji Takamatsu has delivered. Will watch more.

Best innuendo:
"I have something I can never give up on. I'm not dying while I'm still a vir-Before I get rid of my DT, damn it!"
The staff have to be intentionally trolling Capcom. The ending of that last fight and the way it called back to the first fight in the episode was just perfect. Amazing. (Spoilers of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom