• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettch

Magi 1

Alibaba's dungeon talk was one of the most forced exposition scenes I've ever seen, but the first few chapters of the manga were really terrible anyway, so I thought this was decent enough.

Things don't get amazing until (Obvious Spoilers)
they enter the dungeon. So I'll at least be sticking around for that.

wonzo

Banned
Ixion Saga DT 1

Oh wow, I'm never doubting Brain's Base ever again as this was so much better than PV's led on. It does the whole "virtual MMO" thing so much better than SAO or Accel World could ever hope to. It's pretty much an MMO Gintama so check it out!

oh and
mariandel
is :cuilan as fuck

Hey, those come after the "WOW THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER THANKS PIZZAROLL" posts when they finish Mononoke! I mean, who wouldn't want to watch shows from the same director afterwards? It's all part of the strategy!

Your worse failing is not making sure to tell the person to watch episodes 9-11 of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror to get the best introduction to Mononoke's Medicine Seller and his best story arc.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Your worse failing is not making sure to tell the person to watch episodes 9-11 of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror to get the best introduction to the Mononoke's Medicine Seller and his best story arc.
Well, I haven't watched those yet.

I suppose that is an even greater failing, but I want to savor them and not just watch them to check them off the list like some average everyday anime '~'

Yep! I had to do a double take myself.

That great to hear. I would've played it already if it wasn't for the fact that that the MC was male.

Such potential, wasted. ;_;
Well the anime is his own thing.
i should warn you that the second season is not as great as you would expect but a necessary evil for the best season ( the third one )

code breaker 1

there were no codes that required breaking o_O.

dammit they should have called this "rule:breakers" instead

Well, I haven't watched those yet.

I suppose that is an even greater failing, but I want to savor them and not just watch them to check them off the list like some average everyday anime '~'

It's still Kenji Nakamura's best work, man! You can't call yourself a true fan of his until you've seen it!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Magi 01:

I liked it, but I'm probably going to read the manga up to Balbadd as a companion to these first few episodes if this opening arc is super-compressed as several people have suggested.

Aladdin is a lot more reserved than I had expected--my presumptions on his character had no basis in anything, but just looking at him I expected a more Luffy-esque hyperactive, uninhibited ball of boy moe. He's certainly impulsive and allows his sense of justice to override common sense, but he's not dominating his duo with Alibaba and seems more like an overpowered sidekick. I'm okay with this as Alibaba is a pleasant character and has plenty of room for development, but Aladdin just seems designed to steal the spotlight. Maybe he still will.

The universe that the characters inhabit is also depicted as a pretty dark place, but presumably with it established that Labyrinths blanket the world, there's going to be an adventure component to the story and it's not just going to be miserable desert drudgery and oppression one hundred percent of the time. Still, given the popularity of the source material I imagine that it avoids whatever initial uncertainties I have about the setting, characters, and direction.
Hoping that Mor joins up soon.

Pirabear

Banned
Steins;Gate 11
Show is not missing a beat. Have been loving every episode, but something has been puzzling me.
If Rintaro is currently in a timeline where he never got the IBM computer, how we're they still able to access SERN's database? If this gets addressed later on, just say it does without any spoilers please.

-Minsc-

So Ixion Saga is like Gintama? Well I'm thoroughly hyped.

I wouldn't say it's near the level of Gintama though it's still amusing. Anyone who's played Jrpg's will get a kick out of it.

Edit:

Granted this is only the first episode and doesn't appear to be a long running series.

Ixion Saga DT - 1

It exits the starting gate strong. The biggest plus so far is how nicely it pokes fun at all the JRPG cliches. Hopefully they can keep it up for the remainder of the series.

Magi 01:

I liked it, but I'm probably going to read the manga up to Balbadd as a companion to these first few episodes if this opening arc is super-compressed as several people have suggested.

Aladdin is a lot more reserved than I had expected--my presumptions on his character had no basis in anything, but just looking at him I expected a more Luffy-esque hyperactive, uninhibited ball of boy moe. He's certainly impulsive and allows his sense of justice to override common sense, but he's not dominating his duo with Alibaba and seems more like an overpowered sidekick. I'm okay with this as Alibaba is a pleasant character and has plenty of room for development, but Aladdin just seems designed to steal the spotlight. Maybe he still will.

Alibaba to Aladdin is Coby to Luffy, but if he stayed to adventure with him.

Koihime Musou - 09
Fanservice episode, and it certainly delivered. Sousou is really tempting me to give the game a shot, if only to see how far her antics go.

I don't think the games would be a nice experience for you ... sure there are some yuri moments in there but the next event you'll trigger will make you go back to the reality where a male MC has all the powers ...

I can PM you a clear example of what to expect from sousou if you play ..( can't post because it would be NSFW , i mean what could she do at night , this sousou ?)

wonzo

Banned
Magi 01:

The universe that the characters inhabit is also depicted as a pretty dark place, but presumably with it established that Labyrinths blanket the world, there's going to be an adventure component to the story and it's not just going to be miserable desert drudgery and oppression one hundred percent of the time. Still, given the popularity of the source material I imagine that it avoids whatever initial uncertainties I have about the setting, characters, and direction.
Hoping that Mor joins up soon.
Honestly, he comes across more like that in the Manga than he does in this adaptation. Also, be sure to post your manga impressions in the manga thread!

Maedhros

Saint Seiya Omega 27

ARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, ARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I loved this episode. I didn't think that Toei had balls to do what they did. Kudos for them.

Ultimadrago

Magi 1

fortythieves5vuha.png

I didn't expect the main three to run into each other so soon. The episode didn't feel tight in terms of pacing. Nonetheless, I had a fairly fun time with this. The antagonist in this episode is a dull Not-Nice-Guy™. Of course, I was expecting the first to be "small-time." Hopefully, a more interesting one will come around sooner than later.

The backgrounds were solid along with the general animation. Alibaba and Aladdin seem alright as characters. I'll wait until more character show up until making a final judgement on cast though.

I will watch more of this.

Final Note: Now, I'm going to see rice bowls for the rest of my duration with this show. Thanks a lot, chickdigger!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm trying to decide whether Gemini or AO is a worse sequel. I'm leaning towards AO.

AO. I don't share the raging hate toward DtB2 that most here do because I wasn't particularly enamoured by the first season to begin with, even if I recognize that it's Okadashit of the highest order. AO desecrated something precious to me.

Alibaba to Aladdin is Coby to Luffy, but if he stayed to adventure with him.

With the added bonus of having manned up from the beginning!

Honestly, he comes across more like that in the Manga than he does in this adaptation. Also, be sure to post your manga impressions in the manga thread!

Okay I'm definitely sold on the manga now. ManGAF better roll out the red carpet.

Uchip

Banned
Water 7 Arc

I'm sorry that I doubted you, One Piece. I never thought you would return to the Alabasta Arc glory days after the lackluster Skypeia Arc. But, I was wrong, oh so wrong. There are too many reasons why I was wrong.

Thank you, Gaf. Thank you for convincing me to continue with One Piece. I haven't felt so emotional towards an anime in a few months.

Now, I am moving onto the Enies Lobby Arc. Which arc is considered to be the more epic of the two, Water 7 or Enies Lobby?

Its definitely some of the best anime ive seen
both arcs feel like they should be one big one, so i cant rate them separately

Trolling can be really great when done correctly.
Unfortunately, E7AO's only saving grace was Elena.

*puke*

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
AnoHana really had heart.
It felt pretty genuine.
The unfortunate thing is the story went off in stupid directions with other characters.

Yep.

I don't think the games would be a nice experience for you ... sure there are some yuri moments in there but the next event you'll trigger will make you go back to the reality where a male MC has all the powers ...

I can PM you a clear example of what to expect from sousou if you play ..( can't post because it would be NSFW , i mean what could she do at night , this sousou ?)

Please do. :D

Mou ikkai

Why? Why would you say that?! ;_;

Maedhros

Jojo 01

Holy shit, that was amazing. Much better than everything I expected. It's my anime of the season until now. There's still Psycho-Pass, which I have high expectations. DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom