• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was bad in Lagrange, and it's bad here. :(

At least Ali Baba is awesome as he should be, I love his outfit.
Qn5b9.gif

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hes more interesting than Aladdin who seems like the super generic "lets be friends" shounen lead.

Aladdin eventually does get a little development, but it's nothing compared to Ali Baba. It's really Ali Baba's story, and Aladdin is just a convenient device to get shit done.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Really? Sounds more appealing now.

The big arc that the anime will be about is ALL about Ali Baba. it took a while for the mangaka to balance out the lead characters, which is one of the reasons why early Magi is kind of underwhelming, but as it goes on, it gets a LOT better, and Ali Baba is a big reason why.

Pooya

Hes more interesting than Aladdin who seems like the super generic "lets be friends" shounen lead.

yeah, don't care about him at all, but he's obviously going to get the most screen time. Alibaba seems good. I'm interested to see what kind of character Sinbad is too but that's probably far away yet.

Uchip

Banned
The garish look of Jojo TV is undoubtedly due to its visual director, Yasufumi Soejima, ex-CG director at Gonzo and the man behind the unquestionably garish Gankutsuou ED (he was also that show's textile designer). Soejima's made some really ugly works - his short for Ani*Kuri 15 is hideous - but I think his sense of style worked within the gaudy, corrupt high society world of Gankutsuou, and it also works within the larger-than-life world of Jojo.

that explains the bizarre moving texture of the coat when its thrown

All these impressions of Magi are making me not want to watch it...

its worth watching for the animation and backgrounds alone
the rest of it is probably dependent on the viewers expectations

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Uhh.... the first episode impressions weren't ass unlike Magi.

well, let me put it this way, using a simple scale of 1-10 so you'll be able to understand. ^^

1 = SAO light novels, aka shit

2 = SAO anime - it's an improvement, so people said positive things! Doesn't mean it was good, though

7 = Magi manga, a solid series

6 = Magi first episode - not quite as good as the manga, so people are pointing out what it did wrong, but still much better than SAO.

There you go! Now go and watch Magi. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sorry, I should've clarified. The images shots that yall are posting are making me not want to watch it.

well, let me put it this way, using a simple scale of 1-10 so you'll be able to understand. ^^

2 = SAO anime - it's an improvement, so people said positive things! Doesn't mean it was good, though

6 = Magi first episode - not quite as good as the manga, so people are pointing out what it did wrong, but still much better than SAO.

If you think the SAO anime is better than the LN, you're full of shit.

duckroll is going to cry now.

Shit....

A.E Suggs

It's good, but I do prefer the manga in this case. Although I vaguely remember it having an awesome ED.

Now, the anime and manga for NANA are both fantastic, albeit technically on semi-permanent hiatus. Basically, Ai Yazawa is the shit.

Ok thanks for the info I guess i'll maybe watch the anime and maybe read the manga later. I'll most def look at NANA though both manga and anime =D.

Pooya

All these impressions of Magi are making me not want to watch it...

It's not ass by any means but the first episode isn't very impressive, it's kind of ok, it didn't make me curious about or excited for future events and the characters, that's what a good first episode should try to do imo. with that said, I'm not into shōnen anime/manga and young kids friendship stories anymore and this was exactly that, not my taste.

OceanBlue

Did everyone really think the first episode of Magi was that bad? I saw it and it wasn't that bad at all. It wasn't amazing, but it was a good, if typical, adventure story setup. It's certainly enough to get me to watch more.

i've seen all of this ( anime ,LN , manga ) and i totally disagree..as kayos said , if you're rating the anime above the LN , then you haven't read them .

Also if we're going to compare first episodes , SAO was much better( following source material , animation colors , first ep cliffanger and so on.)

Not that magi first episode was bad , it's was great minus alladin voice that don't fit IMO )

Uchip

Banned
Hyperbole much? First episode impressions have only been ass from manga readers, and not even all of them. If you don't read the manga, you'll be fine.

it was better than the first episode of One Piece (significantly)
and that ended up being one of my favourite shows
I cant judge shounen by the first episode any more

OceanBlue

Well, I tend to give most things a couple of episodes before I drop them. 1 episode definitely isn't enough for most shows, in my opinion.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
i've seen all of this ( anime ,LN , manga ) and i totally disagree..as kayos said , if you're rating the anime above the LN , then you haven't read them .

Also if we're going to compare first episodes , SAO was much better( following source material , animation colors , first ep cliffanger and so on.)

Not that magi first episode was bad , it's was great minus alladin voice that don't fit IMO )

Ah, I meant simply the first episode of SAO, not the series as a whole, I should have clarified that properly. >.<

As for your second paragraph, I disagree completely, but that's just me. :) I personally like the character designs in Magi a lot more, and I thought the decision to compress so many early chapters into one episode was a very good choice, since as I've already mentioned, early magi is not that good. the scenes with ugo and the plant monster were better animated than anything in the first ep of SAO as well.

it was better than the first episode of One Piece (significantly)
and that ended up being one of my favourite shows
I cant judge shounen by the first episode any more

Early parts of shounen should be judged on potential, not actual quality. Quality is only icing on the cake, and I'd say Magi delivers some of that as well. It really becomes something special when Balbadd happens.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Early parts of shounen should be judged on potential, not actual quality. Quality is only icing on the cake, and I'd say Magi delivers some of that as well. It really becomes something special when Balbadd happens.

This is a very dumb thing to say, especially when there are shounens that do deliver quality from the get-go. It's fine if you recognize the potential in something, and the series manages to follow through with it, but to say that's the standard by which shows should be judges is incredibly non-sensical. There are far more series with good potential that then gets squandered than there are series that manage to follow through with that potential. It's far more intellectually honest to simply admit "These shows sucked at first, but the author managed to single out the positive aspects and capitalize on them" than to try to twist their poor beginnings into "Oh, this means this will be good (maybe, at some point in the distant future)!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom