• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Watching Sora no Woto 3 and the bad faces are distracting. They aren't very good with eyes in this series >_>

Anything other than straight on, side, or 3/4 view there's a good chance the eyes are wrong.

Narag

Magi 1

87OMzl.jpg

Fuck whoever said the ricebowl thing. I can't unsee this shit now.

That was an underwhelming first impression. Things felt rushed, Aladdin was annoying, his ignorance seemed to exist simply to have a convenient excuse to explain how the world worked which in turn annoyed me even further given that shit was as video gamey as SAO, some of the characters felt like they lacked a physical depth to their features (which might have been intentional),and I really don't care for the cutesy Aladdin stuff.

I did like the lovely background work, the musical score, and Alibaba because he's a bro. I probably wouldn't continue if not for other posters holding the manga in such a high regard as that leaves me with some hope.

Li Kao

Ohhhhh, so I have just the perfect question for AniGAF !
You see in my childhood, when anime just arrived in the west, there was this vhs. And yes I know I'm old you little brats...
So there was this vhs and I have been dying since then to remember what it was.

So I remember :
Definitely scifi setting.
Green haired hero.
A young woman who is her ally, or a traitor, or the ennemy, I remember some tension.
Near the end she is hurt and lay on the ground.
And then the hero touch her bare boob (healing her ?)

Yes one of the first 'emotion' (°o° ) my young self felt, I owe it to this anime to find its title !

Some people suggested Choujin Locke some years ago, and now I'm turning to the mighty AnimeGAF. Because I would really like to know what the hell I watched then, and there is this booby affair that...

Narag

Ohhhhh, so I have just the perfect question for AniGAF !
You see in my childhood, when anime just arrived in the west, there was this vhs. And yes I know I'm old you little brats...
So there was this vhs and I have been dying since then to remember what it was.

So I remember :
Definitely scifi setting.
Green haired hero.
A young woman who is her ally, or a traitor, or the ennemy, I remember some tension.
Near the end she is hurt and lay on the ground.
And then the hero touch her bare boob (healing her ?)

Yes one of the first 'emotion' (°o° ) my young self felt, I owe it to this anime to find its title !

Some people suggested Choujin Locke some years ago, and now I'm turning to the mighty AnimeGAF. Because I would really like to know what the hell I watched then, and there is this booby affair that...

w4P4al.png

Pooya

First episode of SAO showed some potential, it was downhill after that and lolz ending. But in the first episode you get a promise of huge virtual world, boss battles and all kind of things that can be possible in the game world (we got nothing though, that's not the point)

First episode of Magi might not show much potential but it's not bad, can't say what it's going to be about yet other than clearing dungeons which I have no idea what they are. so not much potential to me based on this episode. As a first episode introducing a world and a premise, SAO was better maybe. As an standalone episode, the content of Magi is much better and animation quality is far better. see, I'm sure a whole lot will happen in Magi, but as someone who doesn't know anything about Magi, only based on the first episode it didn't give me an interesting picture of what to expect from this show, other than hey, we will clear dungeons that came out of nowhere and become rich and there is this djinn that came out of nowhere too. and there are huge monsters too for some reason. world building was very weak imo.

I don't know why we're comparing first episodes of two very different shows though...

Sengoku Collection 23

The world is like a sandbox. So malleable, so fragile, so... petty. Why do we persist in pointless conflict over what will crumble at the slightest touch? These are the profound questions Sengoku Collection raises.

wonzo

Banned
But the second half is filler.
Filler isn't some inherently negative thing, it can be either good or bad!

You guys didn't like the second episode of SAO? I thought it was pretty good.
Second episode was bad enough to make me drop it.

I dropped SAO after the second episode, so it was not that great.
p. much

I don't even remember the second episode outside of people complaining they weren't on the 74th floor already.
"I'm a beater"

*snickers*

Emitan

Who told me to put Gintama on my Crunchy Roll queue? Because I have no idea what it is but it sounds like shonen >_>

Instro

Magi 1

Enjoyed this thoroughly. There's some hiccups with the pacing, particularly with the brevity involved in Alibaba's character development and the introduction of the cast as a whole, but otherwise it has the makings of a wonderful adventure going forward. Fun cast, great art and animation, lovely music, and a very interesting world and atmosphere to work with. Lots of potential here I think, looking forward to next week. Hopefully they expand more on the world itself, as the nature of the dungeons was not really expanded upon this week.

yami4ct

Who told me to put Gintama on my Crunchy Roll queue? Because I have no idea what it is but it sounds like shonen >_>

While Gintama is clearly shonen and kid focused, it's funny for all ages. It's like a Pixar movie. Plenty of universally funny things with a bunch of stuff only adults will really get. The way it lampoons other anime, drops random references, and continually breaks the fourth wall makes it constantly a joy to watch.

OceanBlue

Magi 1

Enjoyed this thoroughly. There's some hiccups with the pacing, particularly with the brevity involved in Alibaba's character development and the introduction of the cast as a whole, but otherwise it has the makings of a wonderful adventure going forward. Fun cast, great art and animation, lovely music, and a very interesting world and atmosphere to work with. Lots of potential here I think, looking forward to next week. Hopefully they expand more on the world itself, as the nature of the dungeons was not really expanded upon this week.

I'm not worried about the development seeming brief because, to me, it seems more like we were given a hint about Alibaba's character. I don't think much changed with Alibaba in this episode. It seemed to me like they gave us a glimpse of something we're going to learn more about later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom