• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

omg sao is real

xebkF.jpg

wonzo

Banned
HidaSketch x Hoshimittsu 1

Ahh, yet another excellent episode of HidaSketch but with two whole new Hidamaris! Don't really know much about either of em just yet but I'm sure they'll make a fine addition to t... oh, what's that...!

spittake-6e8.jpg

HOLY SHIT IT'S OMIGAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hidasketxhxh1b.jpg

best episode ever 11/10

I remember not liking her at first, but she grew on me as the series went on. She's a bit of a weird character at first. The way she behaves is somewhat like an airhead, and somewhat like the quiet bullied girl, and yet she's much much weirder. She becomes more interesting later in the story mostly for her role in the story, and why things are the way they are. It's been awhile since I've been able to see it in its entirety (thinking about picking up those DVD collections sometime soon) so I don't quite remember exact details.
Weird is fine. My problem is that we're supposed to care about Anthy, and the entire plot revolves around her, but she's basically just a soulless doll.

Your comment about "why things are the way they are" is encouraging, since that's something that's been really bothering me as well. I understand that everything's symbolic and that the show is deliberately mysterious, but the conflicts and duels thus far have held no weight because of it.

Just keep watching.
I don't even stick with shows I don't enjoy when they're free -- let alone when there's a ~$70 pricetag attached.

The second set has been ordered. I hate you all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Weird is fine. My problem is that we're supposed to care about Anthy, and the entire plot revolves around her, but she's basically just a soulless doll.

Your comment about "why things are the way they are" is encouraging, since that's something that's been really bothering me as well. I understand that everything's symbolic and that the show is deliberately mysterious, but the conflicts and duels thus far have held no weight because of it.
All of this will be addressed.

All of it.

I'm in the same boat, I bought all three of the "newly" released sets and don't feel like soldiering through the third episode.
Brother. You should at least give it a few more, though. Four and five were my favorites, even if they resorted to some really down and dirty tactics to do it.

All of this will be addressed.

All of it.
That's good to hear, but I have my doubts that it's going to happen soon enough.

wonzo

Banned
Medaka Box 4

medaka4.jpg

I was originally planning on rewatching the first three episodes to see if I'd enjoy them more now that I've read the manga and unfortunately just skimming them reminded me of how dull they were and this episode was certainly no exception. Oh well, at least the tomboy was cute and Kikaijima's coming up in the next episode so it's not all bad.

Kazzy

Medaka Box 4

medaka4.jpg

I was originally planning on rewatching the first three episodes to see if I'd enjoy them more now that I've read the manga and unfortunately just skimming them reminded me of how dull they were and this episode was certainly no exception. Oh well, at least the tomboy was cute and Kikaijima's coming up in the next episode so it's not all bad.

I'm enjoying the Manga, but I'll agree with that. With the Anime, I'm quite content to just start watching at Abnormal.

wonzo

Banned
teekyuu 1

i have no idea what's actually being said but whatever it is, i'm sure it's something along the lines of "mappa is dead"

cajunator

Banned
Medaka Box 4
medaka4.jpg

She's even cute in derpmode!

Dresden

i've always wanted to see fumiyo kouno's work adapted in the form of flash motion tweening

tekyu is clearly being made in a cupboard by itagaki's north korean immigrant sweatshop to save budget for this

e:

tekyu - 01

I have no idea what was going on (I guess there were two girls glomping each other on the tennis court) and I don't really know why I sat through this. I guess it was three minutes long.

zLCIjl.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
After reading through ten chapters of Sukitte Ii na yo, I'm prepared to say that it will be my favourite shoujo of the season
based on content alone
and fully understand why they went with the indie art film direction. My only fear is that they
hold back
, but with the direction of the first episode, I don't think that is likely.

I'm sure this is probably old-hat for shoujo veterans, but the manga is the same breath of fresh air that KnT was to me two years ago... just in the
opposite direction.
My hype-meter suddenly went to 11 anyway.

Of course, the silly thing is that I could probably get the same thing if I watched
Skins or The Inbetweeners
but hey, I'm a weeaboo, not an
Anglophile

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You had me excited until this. KnT was a breath of fresh air?
In terms of having a heroine who doesn't need a white knight to save her? Yeah. Kazehaya is a plot device, like every other shoujo, but he isn't the bad kind of plot device like... say, Usui from Maid-sama.

In terms of having a heroine who doesn't need a white knight to save her? Yeah. Kazehaya is a plot device, like every other shoujo, but he isn't the bad kind of plot device like... say, Usui from Maid-sama.
That's true. I was thinking more of in terms of plotting and pacing where KnT suffers from the same problems as most shoujo romances, but yeah, the gender issues via-a-vis the relationship with the male lead are better than most.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's true. I was thinking more of in terms of plotting and pacing where KnT suffers from the same problems as most shoujo romances, but yeah, the gender issues via-a-vis the relationship with the male lead are better than most.
I like that the first season (and the live action movie) isn't really about "getting the guy". It's more about a girl just learning to have self-esteem. It's still wishfulfillment, but at least it's positive.

It's like the shoujo version of... well, Fap Note or Welcome to the NHK, where the otaku loner nerd learns to grow up after shunning society. But with more flowers and sparkles. lol

Heck, NHK is
about a dude who "gets a loli", which apparently is a fantasy for otaku everywhere. lol

So I take it Sukitte does something interesting with the whole savior male romantic interest thing and doesn't just play it straight? That's encouraging because that was probably my biggest concern after watching the first episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I take it Sukitte does something interesting with the whole savior male romantic interest thing and doesn't just play it straight? That's encouraging because that was probably my biggest concern after watching the first episode.

Manga spoilers, so stop reading -
after chapter 2, the manga opens up and starts going into the back story of other girls. It suddenly becomes much more *real*, with one story impressing me based purely on its visual depiction of one of the characters.

Oh yeah, and there's sex. Like actual honest to god love hotel sex. Which is why I name dropped Skins.
lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
isnt misaki 17 at the start of the show?
they dont even hook up
Honestly, I don't remember her age. But still,
she's a young girl who shows up and changes the MC's life. It's basically a magical girlfriend show without the stupid stuff that comes with that.

Uchip

Banned
Honestly, I don't remember her age. But still,
she's a young girl who shows up and changes the MC's life. It's basically a magical girlfriend show without the stupid stuff that comes with that.

point being he doesn't really "get" her
they help each other through difficult times

Magi episode 1

Finally caught this. I read up to the end of volume 14 of the manga over the last few weeks and found myself loving it. Waiting for the volumes to come out hurts my soul.

In any case, an all around solid first episode with some really killer production values. Animation was quite good and the music was appropriate as well. A-1 did an excellent job adapting the weird ass expressions and chibi variants of the characters.

As a manga reader, I definitely missed the material they cut from the beginning. The way things have been cut feel odd to me, partially because in some ways it's pretty radically different. As a result the pacing feels a bit off. Nothing deal breaking, but noticeable. Hopefully as the series goes on, things get a bit more leveled out. I'm hopeful that that'll happen over the next few episodes.

On the whole though, I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to riding this train all the way to the end.

Except for the ED theme which is a huge pile of shit.

BluWacky

One of the things I thought was particularly interesting about Suki-tte was that the secondary characters all had "moments". Unlike Kaibutsu-kun, where the focus is squarely on Haru and Shizuku and we see nothing of the supporting cast to start with (except the one blonde delinquent guy), Suki-tte rather portentously gives us short moments with a bunch of other characters - the girl with the big breasts, the girl with the piercings etc. I would assume that the show will open up to a larger ensemble relatively quickly.

I'm not saying that Kaibutsu-kun won't do the same - because clearly it will - but Suki-tte made it much more obvious that the show will expand beyond the central relationship.

At least he doesn't threaten to rape her.

Fixed for accuracy (I'm afraid I watched this with subtitles so disengaged my brain a bit - did Haru ACTUALLY do that, or is it an exaggeration for translation effect?)

Misaki is so crazy and broken. I don't think you can call her a magical girlfriend. It was a pretty interesting relationship (especially in the novel and manga), much better than the normal shoujo thing with the shy main girl and the wild but handsome guy.

fertygo

Fixed for accuracy (I'm afraid I watched this with subtitles so disengaged my brain a bit - did Haru ACTUALLY do that, or is it an exaggeration for translation effect?)

Well the word that he used have mean in general as "I'll mess you up/you f***ed"

Firemind

I'm not firehawk. :3

I agree. That was a pretty tasteless thing to do too.

I'm not saying that Kaibutsu-kun won't do the same - because clearly it will - but Suki-tte made it much more obvious that the show will expand beyond the central relationship.

But the show showed all those characters you're supposed to care about within the first minute! Yeah, I'm not sure what the purpose of that was. It takes away the mystique of the secondary cast. Now you know the blond guy will be important to the plot as opposed to second guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom