• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It feels more like an attempt to move away from having a mary sue for a lead, but Kawahara just couldn't help himself and things happened and a volume later it was a full blown harem again.
Does he also lose his weight and shoot up a few feet in height? lol

I've only just gotten to this review.

I'd like to add my feelings:

nyv1vo.gif
"At least we're not ANN".

I dunno... is AW really that bad? As bad as SAO? I find that hard to believe...

It's worse; at least SAO is somewhat entertaining. AW rarely is. Also, as mediocre/boring as most of the characters in SAO are, AW's are just terrible.

The wish fulfilment in AW is truly on a whole new level compared to SAO - you can tell it's a later work because the author has really refined his craft in the worst possible areas. It's pretty amazing.

Also, this.

But I thought the fact that the dude was Cartman was supposed to mitigate that.

Or is it just an even more cynical ploy at reaching new depths of otaku-depravity?
I like Cartman. He's easily the best thing about AW. However, he's just as empowered by his gaming as Kirito but without even a fraction of the justification or necessity. It really is on a whole 'nother level.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Cross Days was pretty boring to actually play compared to the previous two, but the concepts amuse people when described in summarized form, so maybe a compressed 12 episode anime could be made into something fun.

That's what I would hope for, depending on which route they would go.

Seriously, I'm reading the manga and it's already insane. An anime about it would just be on a whole new level.

Also, it would perfectly troll Makoto even more. lol

Exactly!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like Cartman. He's easily the best thing about AW. However, he's just as empowered by his gaming as Kirito but without even a fraction of the justification or necessity. It really is on a whole 'nother level.
It's worse; at least SAO is somewhat entertaining. AW rarely is. Also, as mediocre/boring as most of the characters in SAO are, AW's are just terrible.

Also, this.
You fuckers are almost convincing me to watch AW. :(

That's what I would hope for, depending on which route they would go.

Exactly!
That's all we can hope for.
And I just noticed your new avatar. :p lol

Jex

Didn't their 'cyberbrains' had wireless connections to the Net? In the case of Batō, he well could be looking for 'philosophical quotes to impress your friends' through web-search, on the fly!
I'd like to add that I made my comment about this very subject without reading yours!

Kagami

Seriously, I'm reading the manga and it's already insane. An anime about it would just be on a whole new level.

Also, it would perfectly troll Makoto even more. lol
I haven't read the manga adaptation but from what I've heard it's pretty different from the game.
(It sounds better.)

cajunator

Banned
It feels more like an attempt to move away from having a mary sue for a lead, but Kawahara just couldn't help himself and things happened and a volume later it was a full blown harem again.

I was definitely more entertained by AW than SAO is currently doing. SAO just seems bland by comparison. Also there's not nearly enough of Lizbest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I need more Ghibli on BD, even if the UK BD's have all been tampered with to some degree.

After finally getting over the fact that I have to put up with higher than average prices for anime this was a right kick in the balls. I don't even know if it is worth buying anime in the UK anymore.

Articalys

Looks like Sentai are doing the Hidamari stream for you guys in the US.
Sentai themselves are not necessarily "doing the Hidamari Stream", it's just that Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb got the usual Sentai license with "digital soon, home video later", nothing out of the ordinary here. They have the entire rest of the franchise too, so it's not surprising.
Not to say it won't get a simulcast, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Jex

I know it's rather well-trodden ground, but I'd like to return to the whole Accel World vs Sword Art Online discussion for a moment.

In the previous thread we had a fairly thorough discussion of why we thought that Sword Art Online had become such a successful show and we tried to work out what factors contributed to it's popularity. What's interesting about Accel World is that I think it legitimately has more complicated and interesting characters than Sword Art Online. Cartman is a far, far better character than Kirito, for whatever that's worth. However, despite all that I really have no desire to watch any of the story-stuff from Accel World yet I've sat through all of Sword Art Online and I really couldn't tell you why.

cajunator

Banned
Outside of Chiyu and Noumi why would anyone hate the other characters?
None of them are backstabbing bastards or even that awfully written. Unless those two are the main reason somebody hates the show. In Noumis case I think you're supposed to hate his guts.

Watched 12 eps of Sword Art Online over the past 3 days. The feels, man. THEM FEELS

Idk what the hell y'all are bitching about. What more do you want???
I wish I could feel those feels that you felt that day. I know they're there, but I can't.
I know it's rather well-trodden ground, but I'd like to return to the whole Accel World vs Sword Art Online discussion for a moment.

In the previous thread we had a fairly thorough discussion of why we thought that Sword Art Online had become such a successful show and we tried to work out what factors contributed to it's popularity. What's interesting about Accel World is that I think it legitimately has more complicated and interesting characters than Sword Art Online. Cartman is a far, far better character than Kirito, for whatever that's worth. However, despite all that I really have no desire to watch any of the story-stuff from Accel World yet I've sat through all of Sword Art Online and I really couldn't tell you why.
I'm in the exact same boat.

Jex

After finally getting over the fact that I have to put up with higher than average prices for anime this was a right kick in the balls. I don't even know if it is worth buying anime in the UK anymore.

I'm sorely tempted to just import all my BD's and DVD's. It's considerably cheaper and gives me access to a wider catalogue.

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb is just the usual Sentai license, nothing out of the ordinary here. They have the entire rest of the franchise too, so it's not surprising.

This is totally going in my cart.
I can't get enough of wideface. whether its because the characters are so cute or that I'm a Shaft fan, I just cant get enough of the series. Its so fucking cute and addictive.
The only problem with showsl ike this is I dont really remember a lot of it after I watch it. It sort of makes me really happy and then I move on. Its like delicious junkfood.

fertygo

Its clear you can just watch Horizon out of those two, the best episode of it trump 30+ episode that two show offer.

*runs*

Some show from this season better be good to avoid this kind of discussion.

cajunator

Banned
I feel the opposite about AW vs SAO (obviously). For me, its a struggle to watch SAO whereas I flew through AW. I havent even watched episode 12 of SAO yet and Im not really in a hurry to. Although I want to see the fishing antics in 13.

The only gripe I will ever have with this show is if they never explain what is happening to their bodies irl. One possibility I would accept would be if they're pulling some Inception shit, where the brain is processing millions of times faster, so 2 years in the game is 5 minutes in real life. OR: The dude in charge of the game or the govt has set up some sort of coma center for these people and they're just tied to IVs in a warehouse, with their dead carcasses discarded when they die in game. That seems to be the most likely scenario.

But if shit ends, and they say"lol jk! You don't really die!" This show will go from 10 to a solid 3. I MEAN IT.

Nobody please spoil it for me, but if you know whether nor they explain it at all just say yes or no. :3

jbug617

Banned
I feel the opposite about AW vs SAO (obviously). For me, its a struggle to watch SAO whereas I flew through AW. I havent even watched episode 12 of SAO yet and Im not really in a hurry to. Although I want to see the fishing antics in 13.

I found both shows had a couple of slow episodes after great start of the season.

Dresden

Sometimes I hope it all ends with "it was just a dream, wake up and smell the soup Kirito" just to troll people. He tries to get up and realizes that he's had a wet dream. Oh, he wonders, what was that--then he forgets the face of the girl he loved. The end.

Thoraxes

Overall i've stopped watching both for large amounts of episodes at a time only to come back later, but I must admit i'm inherently more interested in SAO if only because I would consider myself a "Hardcore MMO Gamer".

Its clear you can just watch Horizon out of those two, the best episode of it trump 30+ episode that two show offer.

*runs*

Some show from this season better be good to avoid this kind of discussion.

I agree. If you just want to see Sunrise animated amazing action without the rest of the crap of AW, Horizon is the way to go.

cajunator

Banned
The only gripe I will ever have with this show is if they never explain what is happening to their bodies irl. One possibility I would accept would be if they're pulling some Inception shit, where the brain is processing millions of times faster, so 2 years in the game is 5 minutes in real life. OR: The dude in charge of the game or the govt has set up some sort of coma center for these people and they're just tied to IVs in a warehouse, with their dead carcasses discarded when they die in game. That seems to be the most likely scenario.

But if shit ends, and they say"lol jk! You don't really die!" This show will go from 10 to a solid 3. I MEAN IT.

Nobody please spoil it for me, but if you know whether nor they explain it at all just say yes or no. :3

I agree with that. What happens to them IRL isnt really discussed, but I feel like for the story to be a bit more effective, they should at least touch on that aspect. Maybe thats one thing I enjoyed about Accel World, although others hated the reality parts. I would have been far more interested in the show had it delved into real world events along with SAOs world, but the show wasnt that ambitious. Instead so far it seems like a less exciting version of Ragnarok the animation or something, and doesnt even focus on the most likeable characters in the show. Perhaps the creators purposefully did this to differentiate it from AW, but it gives the show much less meat by tuning out an entire element of the story by just brushing it aside as unimportant.

Jex

Overall i've stopped watching both for large amounts of episodes at a time only to come back later, but I must admit i'm inherently more interested in SAO if only because I would consider myself a "Hardcore MMO Gamer".

Maybe we should all stop watching bad anime.

Who am I kidding?

cajunator

Banned

Perhaps this could explain something. I hate MMORPGs. I never play them. I dont really care to have anything to do with them. So the world in SAO seems really rather dull and stupid to me. I could see how having an appreciation for that kind of gaming would make a show like this more interesting. But even then, I enjoyed other MMORPG like animes and I just havent enjoyed this one as much. To be honest, I find the world of SAO to be rather mundane looking and generic. It isnt really an exciting in-game world given the possibilities of such a setup. I feel that Accel World did a much better job of setting up a creative looking fantasy world, and I bought into that.

fertygo

I would never willingly subject my poor eyes to the character design in Horizon.

AW is pretty similar tho in chara design lolololol..

And Horizon fully acknowledge the story n premise is stupid, make it better by default. Just throw 24 minute battle episode sirrrrr, AW should apply that logic too.

Articalys

Eureka Seven AO 22
Actually, I understand it well enough, it's just really, really stupid at this point.

The stuff at the end with
Renton in future New York City or wherever
would probably have had a bigger effect if I hadn't spoiled myself on it, but whatever. Nice to hear that insert song again though.

Here's hoping that the final two episodes in November bring a satisfactory conclus-- ahahahaha, who the hell am I kidding.

Thoraxes

Maybe we should all stop watching bad anime.

Who am I kidding?
We need to cleanse ourselves with lashes of punishment sometime. I'm of the opinion though that you can like a show and have fun with it but simultaneously have a critical opinion separate of how you feel too.
Perhaps this could explain something. I hate MMORPGs. I never play them. I dont really care to have anything to do with them. So the world in SAO seems really rather dull and stupid to me. I could see how having an appreciation for that kind of gaming would make a show like this more interesting. But even then, I enjoyed other MMORPG like animes and I just havent enjoyed this one as much. To be honest, I find the world of SAO to be rather mundane looking and generic. It isnt really an exciting in-game world given the possibilities of such a setup. I feel that Accel World did a much better job of setting up a creative looking fantasy world, and I bought into that.
I can agree with that. The whole concept of Brain Burst is relatively unheard of, so I think the interest from that alone will appeal to more people on a fundamental level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom