• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
momoavatar5.png

hmmmm....

Shit it's tuesday? mondays fly by without yuruyuri :(

survivor

Banned
Why should I read and watch all the cheap My little sister rip-offs if I can watch Oreimo S2?

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai 2nd Season PV: http://youtu.be/cYrHPyGxjwE

The girl that walked in to the clubroom with the phone in her hands, was she from the DVD specials?

Anyway I will probably be watching this. While I didn't like any of the drama/serious moments of the original, I do love shows about otaku.

jbug617

Banned
The girl that walked in to the clubroom with the phone in her hands, was she from the DVD specials?

Anyway I will probably be watching this. While I didn't like any of the drama/serious moments of the original, I do love shows about otaku.

Yeah she is from the OVA. She fits in the show if you know what I'm saying.

wsippel

Banned
What am I looking at?
Medaka Box, or more precisely Kumagawa, the most popular character in the manga. The problem is that he won't really play a big role in the anime until season 3 as far as I know, which is almost definitely never going to happen as the first season bombed horribly.

/XX/

Medaka Box, or more precisely Kumagawa, the most popular character in the manga. The problem is that he won't really play a big role in the anime until season 3 as far as I know, which is almost definitely never going to happen as the first season bombed horribly.
I think that, for the moment, the part you mention of "bombing" isn't necessarily determinant when you see the actual cross-promotion they are making with the ongoing graphic novel (and other novelizations). What is more telling (in my opinion) is the absence of listings for anything other than two 'cours' as produced by GAiNAX for this, be it previous rumors that were totally right and so on. That doesn't means they couldn't be interested in doing more, though... but nothing confirmed.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kaito Kid 9

Not really a fan of spider and the magic angle. I guess i just enjoy the Conan vs kaito series more :S

I agree. Still fun though. I like how in the Detective Conan series Kaitou is an unstoppable badass, and in the Kaitou Kid series we see he spend most of his time improvising ways out of messes and just making it LOOK like he planned it all along. ;P

Kirino is the best Oreimo character simply because she's the only one with any sort of redeeming qualities (she's cute). Otherwise, she's just as terrible as the rest of them.

What?! (´・Д・)」

I agree. Still fun though. I like how in the Detective Conan series Kaitou is an unstoppable badass, and in the Kaitou Kid series we see he spend most of his time improvising ways out of messes and just making it LOOK like he planned it all along. ;P

What?! (´・Д・)」

well to be fair, kaito kid conan eps have gotten more goofy in the past few years.

cajunator

Banned
Something something Watership Down something something.

Oh god. That is one disturbing movie.

As I learned today, rabbits unless it's a shoujo anime.

Nope.

How quickly you all have forgotten about Blood C!

Also Kino's Journey is not all that kind to rabbits.

Moe should just die.

Yes, I mad.

Why do you want the only thing keeping the industry alive to die?

Long weekend and semi-internet vacation over. Still catching up on the thread, but I'll leave a couple things here:

Fantastic Children - End (with random thoughts)
Not going to go into tremendous detail here (not my strong suit anyway) but was a brilliant series. Can't really levy any complaints against it. Excellently written and well paced story with an actually satisfying conclusion. Loved the choice of setting and the art that resulted.

If it wasn't for duckroll's recommendation of this I would very well have passed this up. That would have been a big mistake. This show gets my highest recommendation

Haibane Renmei 1-7
Started this after Fantastic Children based on many recommendations including cajun's. The DVD encode seems a bit suspect, but it's still a good looking show with some great character designs. Lots of mystery presented here so far...wonder how much of it gets addressed by the end. Great show so far :).

Going to spend the next couple of days getting caught up on current stuff and finishing Haibane Renmei. Apparently the first Hellsing Ultimate BD set just shipped to me from Right Stuf...very much looking forward to that :D.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I did after the fact and this guy still goes on and on. It's like I'm conversing with a brick wall.
I am bothered that you feel that way about conversing with me.

Since you did not take me up on my offer, I will continue, using your reply to my post prior.
---

Which I obliged by providing images backing up my claim.
You provided the images but very little explanation for somebody who did not already know where they were from. A small issue, since it was trivial for me to figure them out, but still, not very conducive to discussion. On your first image you posted the image from another show and nothing else, the second the image from Tonari and a line of snark.

Additionally, as I demonstrated in my post, you did not back up your claim. Let's try this again, with style!

The section of interest within your post opens with:
Unfortunately, there are a few weak moments in the art and animation department, which I assume are for comedic effect, but the end result just looks jarring.
Which is followed by this relatively standard looking gif:
Then this follows:
Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. I can only imagine the artist got lazy, drew a couple of circles and called it a night.

Again, let's take that GIF out of there and combine what you wrote:
Unfortunately, there are a few weak moments in the art and animation department, which I assume are for comedic effect, but the end result just looks jarring. Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. I can only imagine the artist got lazy, drew a couple of circles and called it a night.

As you can see, these sentences are not separate. Just read them! They tie directly into each other. Given that, the GIF, is apparently related to the chibi art:
I like how pizzaroll goes to great lengths to discredit me. I said art and animation. If you think the animation in that gif looks good in motion, then good for you.

However, I will go further this time. I will start by breaking down your sentences.

In the episode, there are weak moments in the art and animation department. which you assume are there for comedic effect although feel the end result looks jarring. Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. Based on the results of the end product, you imagine that the artist got lazy and drew a couple of circles and called it a night.

Then let's separate them individually,
Sentence one: art and animation had weak moments for comedic effect, looks jarring
Sentence two: Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with chibi art, artist got lazy, imagined to have drawn circles and called it a night

Now, let's assume these sentences aren't inseparable, and that you meant for them to be two individual things. What is "something" in sentence two? However, that's unimportant, as we'll see.

Anyways, to that darkside reply. I will cut out the irrelevant bits for the sake of making sure we stick to the matter at hand. As the original post is easily available and clickable, I don't think there's anything wrong with that:
[...] I could see a point being made against the SD art in KnT/etc for being jarring, but I doubt they're there because the artists were lazy. [...]

The problem here is, of course, when people like Firemind are wrong or trolling and like to spin in circles instead of admitting their mistakes.[...]
Before I can proceed, I must lay out these things. Later on in this current post I am replying to, you say:
The gif animation was but one of the weak moments. Inserted images and the text following the images do not have to be in direct relation with each other. Sometimes writers insert images between paragraphs to break up the format. In this case, the image relates to the paragraph above it, which you could have alluded to if you weren't being so pedantic. I know what chibi means, you know what chibi means; you're splitting hairs at this point by over-analyzing and misinterpreting my original post.
Since we both know what chibi means, I assume we also both know that SD in the above post stands for "super-deformed", or, another term for chibi. Same meaning. Secondly, you say that the image relates to the "paragraph" above it, but is that true? Perhaps. Let's find out!

You replied to my post with:
How do you know they weren't being lazy? Are you one of the artists Brains Base hired?

For the record, I never implied it looked cheap. I said it looked jarring, which is an opinion. So kindly get off my back.
Aside from the several inaccuracies and twisting of my words that I already covered in a previous post:
I said I doubt it was just them being lazy. I never claimed to know. Of course, you wouldn't have been able to write down that clever "u work for brain base!?!" thing you did there without shuffling that around. Nor did I say that you implied it looked cheap, I said you implied it looked lazy. I also acknowledged your opinion, that it could be seen as jarring, so naturally, I am off your back. I was never there. All of these things are covered in the same single line in my previous post:
I could see a point being made against the SD art in KnT/etc for being jarring, but I doubt they're there because the artists were lazy.
As you can see, a) doubt, not know b) lazy, not cheap c) recognition of your opinion

And just as a refresher so you don't try to say that you didn't imply that it looked lazy either:
Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. I can only imagine the artist got lazy, drew a couple of circles and called it a night.
By stating that you imagine that the artist got lazy going off of how it looks, you are indeed implying that it looks lazy.
In that post, you yourself tie those two sentences together. You continue the "lazy" point in reply to a post where I referenced the chibi art:
I could see a point being made against the SD art in KnT/etc for being jarring, but I doubt they're there because the artists were lazy.
And then you drift into "jarring." Lazy is a point from sentence two, jarring from sentence one. At this point "it" is clearly referring to the chibi art (from sentence two) and calling it jarring (from sentence one), or, rather, that you said it was jarring, to be more accurate.

Thus, I have clearly not misinterpreted you. If the GIF corresponds to the "upper paragraph", then you used it as an example of chibi art, yes? Since the upper and lower are not actually separate -- they're part of one whole "paragraph" only separated by the GIF.

One could argue that by "upper paragraph", you meant the other sections of the upper part of your post that I haven't looked at in my posts until now. Let's look at those:
I can't take this show seriously anymore, and it's not particularly funny.
Possibly this, perhaps you found the chicken gag unfunny.
It's not awful, but it has a host of issues, from Shizuku's painfully dull internal monologues to the sound effects that remain obnoxious
The GIF cannot contain an internal monologue or sound effects. It's not this.
to the joke they call a secondary member cast.
Possibly this. As I haven't seen the show, the character in the GIF could very well be one of the secondary member cast. Further evidenced by them doing a joke with a chicken, it's very possible that they are a joke too.
The production values remain okay, with the background music being the standout.
Background music cannot be contained within the GIF. It's not this. "But you haven't addressed the production values yet!", you may exclaim. Well, I'm getting there.

Later on in reference to the GIF, you say this:
I like how pizzaroll goes to great lengths to discredit me. I said art and animation. If you think the animation in that gif looks good in motion, then good for you.
Clearly, you are trying to discredit the production values here. First off, you refer to your line of art and animation in your post:
there are a few weak moments in the art and animation department
A weak moment. Surely good production values would not mean weak moments of animation? Then, you phrase the possibility of me thinking the animation looking good as "good for you [me]", implying that you don't find it good. But to top it all off, you say later on in this post that I'm replying to:
The gif animation was but one of the weak moments.

This also ties the GIF to the line talking about art and animation, without a doubt. That rules out the other two remaining possibilities. Here's what our remaining "upper paragraph" looks like:
I can't take this show seriously anymore, and it's not particularly funny. It's not awful, but it has a host of issues, from Shizuku's painfully dull internal monologues to the sound effects that remain obnoxious to the joke they call a secondary member cast. The production values remain okay, with the background music being the standout. Unfortunately, there are a few weak moments in the art and animation department, which I assume are for comedic effect, but the end result just looks jarring.

Once again you have worked against yourself. Indeed, this puts us right back to where we've been all along. For completion's sake, let's join things together again:
Unfortunately, there are a few weak moments in the art and animation department, which I assume are for comedic effect, but the end result just looks jarring. Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. I can only imagine the artist got lazy, drew a couple of circles and called it a night.
And, the true full paragraph:
I can't take this show seriously anymore, and it's not particularly funny. It's not awful, but it has a host of issues, from Shizuku's painfully dull internal monologues to the sound effects that remain obnoxious to the joke they call a secondary member cast. The production values remain okay, with the background music being the standout. Unfortunately, there are a few weak moments in the art and animation department, which I assume are for comedic effect, but the end result just looks jarring. Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. I can only imagine the artist got lazy, drew a couple of circles and called it a night.
---

The gif animation was but one of the weak moments. Inserted images and the text following the images do not have to be in direct relation with each other. Sometimes writers insert images between paragraphs to break up the format. In this case, the image relates to the paragraph above it, which you could have alluded to if you weren't being so pedantic. I know what chibi means, you know what chibi means; you're splitting hairs at this point by over-analyzing and misinterpreting my original post.
Continuing to discount everything I've laid out and proven as "pedantic", "splitting hairs", and "overanalyzing" without pointing out where and why -- this is not a good response. I don't have anything to respond to here, because you're not telling me anything. It's especially troubling when you also say I'm "misinterpreting" you. Essentially, you're saying I'm wrong with no argument to support your claim. Isn't that something you're trying to criticize me for? My post is quite well-organized in structure, it is not like I obfuscated it and made it hard to reply to.

What exactly would you like me to do? Write a two hundred word essay with an x number of images explaining why I think certain aspects look janky? Of course I'm posting impressions in an unobtrusive way. If I were to deconstruct the episode like you did, I would be spoiling it for the people who haven't watched it and probably get labeled as obsessive in addition to being a troll.
Write how you like. Just make sure most people can understand you, otherwise what's the point of posting in a thread, sharing your impressions?

You then claimed I'm wrong and/or trolling after I provided an explanation to what I wrote, with no argument to support your claim. At first I thought you were trying to disprove the part where I implied an artist was being lazy, but now you've dropped that point and turned it into an argument about my writing.
Perhaps you got your wires crossed when I replied to darkside and cajunator? From early on it was clear that the point behind my posts was "your post isn't clear and kinda actually just doesn't make sense, feels troll-like." Such as the demonstration of my confusion made in Paint.

If your argument is that I wrote a short impression of an episode in such a way that isn't immediately apparent to someone who hasn't watched it, then congratulations; here's a cookie.
My argument is that your posts make no sense and you continually contradict yourself and try to shift around as you go on. I'll take the cookie anyways.

This is you being pedantic.
It's me being factual. That GIF looks nothing like chibi art.

I'm going to sleep. Will reply to your next reply later.

Mandoric

Banned
I think that, for the moment, the part you mention of "bombing" isn't necessarily determinant when you see the actual cross-promotion they are making with the ongoing graphic novel (and other novelizations). What is more telling (in my opinion) is the absence of listings for anything other than two 'cours' as produced by GAiNAX for this, be it previous rumors that were totally right and so on. That doesn't means they couldn't be interested in doing more, though... but nothing confirmed.

The cross-promotion isn't working, though.

Volume 10 in May 2011, before the anime announcement, sold 105k copies. Volume 15, which went on sale right as the anime aired this April, sold 102k. Volume 16 in July, right after it ended, did 113k.

Is there a spike? Sure. But it's a tiny one, and while you could argue that continued promotion is necessary to keep it at the 100k hit level, that's still small potatoes for Jump. If there's any money it's in merch, but that's where fan reaction to the TV show itself tends to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom