• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just dont think SAO is a show for me.
Ive pretty much decided to drop it entirely out of boredom.
Theres more interesting stuff around the corner. If I see people mentioning Silica or Lizbeth again I might revisit it but right now its the ASuna and Kirito show and frankly they arent characters interesting enough to follow. Thats really what it has come down to.
If people like Asuna, Im sure they are following intentily, but I dont like her. Shes as emotionally vapid as Chi from Chobits. Thats seriously what I think of her.

If you're planning to drop then you should at least stick around until the end of this first cour then. Plus, 13 should be pretty hype.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, not all dictatorships have to be corrupt!
Key words here being "have to". In reality, all dictatorships eventually lean to less than admirable practices in order to remain in power.
I've only just gotten to this review.

I'd like to add my feelings:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k574/JexThread/nyv1vo.gif
Arsenal fan, huh?
Watched 12 eps of Sword Art Online over the past 3 days. The feels, man. THEM FEELS

Idk what the hell y'all are bitching about. What more do you want???
Good writing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't read the manga adaptation but from what I've heard it's pretty different from the game.
(It sounds better.)
So far it is living up to its Cross
Gays
nickname!

Be a videogamelightnoveladaptationhipster like me and prefer AW over SAO.
Its perfect for a #hatewatch. Unlike SAO which is full of characters I can't be forced to give a shit about, AW is full of characters I love to hate.
Oh you guys and your schemes! I will hold strong!

Lavatory layouts aside, the parts of Accel World that Sunrise actually animated inhouse are really, really slick looking.
I don't think how it looks is its biggest problem. lol

Still. That was a pretty good episode.
Good in the ironic sense? lol

You like? :p

I'd kill for the Gokujo manga to get translated. So much yuri it's ridiculous.

:D
We already had that horrible anime though. :p
*Shrug* There's probably at least a chance that it might show up on Crunchy, locked to the US, given that a few of the Sentai licenses shows do turn up on there.
Sentai themselves are not necessarily "doing the Hidamari Stream", it's just that Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb got the usual Sentai license with "digital soon, home video later", nothing out of the ordinary here. They have the entire rest of the franchise too, so it's not surprising.
Not to say it won't get a simulcast, but nothing's confirmed yet.
Ah, that makes more sense. Mandoric am not cry... yet.

(I challenge him to do Nisemono commentaries though!)

----

Oh yeah, so to bring up some white people Amerime for a second, Marc Maron did an episode with Loren Bouchard, who is the co-creator of Bob's Burgers and has worked on a lot of shows including Dr. Katz.
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_319_-_loren_bouchard

It's interesting if you care about the American "indie" animation scene anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I know it's rather well-trodden ground, but I'd like to return to the whole Accel World vs Sword Art Online discussion for a moment.

In the previous thread we had a fairly thorough discussion of why we thought that Sword Art Online had become such a successful show and we tried to work out what factors contributed to it's popularity. What's interesting about Accel World is that I think it legitimately has more complicated and interesting characters than Sword Art Online. Cartman is a far, far better character than Kirito, for whatever that's worth. However, despite all that I really have no desire to watch any of the story-stuff from Accel World yet I've sat through all of Sword Art Online and I really couldn't tell you why.
Maybe it's the Code Geass conundrum? In that the talky talky plot points are discussed with so much grandeur and fabulousity that it's difficult to look away in SAO, yet in AW the real life stuff is comparably banal and uninteresting even if the characters are fleshed out slightly better.

Thoraxes

I can't help but be torn between what feels better thematically and what feels better morally. It's a personal hangup, but I can only tolerate so much incongruity between the two.

That's an understandable reaction. I just justified that by slightly just going "eh" and then telling myself alien space politics.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I know it's rather well-trodden ground, but I'd like to return to the whole Accel World vs Sword Art Online discussion for a moment.

In the previous thread we had a fairly thorough discussion of why we thought that Sword Art Online had become such a successful show and we tried to work out what factors contributed to it's popularity. What's interesting about Accel World is that I think it legitimately has more complicated and interesting characters than Sword Art Online. Cartman is a far, far better character than Kirito, for whatever that's worth. However, despite all that I really have no desire to watch any of the story-stuff from Accel World yet I've sat through all of Sword Art Online and I really couldn't tell you why.

It could be because 95% of everything that happens in the Accel World real world scenes are inconsequential events. There's nothing at stake, while in Sword Art Online things could theoretically get interesting suddenly (even if they almost never do).

jman2050

I think I feel the same way about SAO as I did about Hyouka, where each has some really glaring issues that I can totally understand people hating on but for me ended up somewhat entertaining most of the time despite them.

Kirito and Asuna are terrible characters though.

Maybe it's the Code Geass conundrum? In that the talky talky plot points are discussed with so much grandeur and fabulousity that it's difficult to look away in SAO, yet in AW the real life stuff is comparably banal and uninteresting even if the characters are fleshed out slightly better.

I don't know. SAO isn't really fabulous in any way. AW feels more fabulous at least in the fights.

Thoraxes

Okay, I've seen people use the term FEELS. What does this mean?
It's when something gets real or personal for you when you're watching a show or you end up getting super involved in it emotionally/mentally, and you respond to it internally by further corroborating with that given emotion in a manner that amplifies that particular emotion.

For example: I got FEELS when I watched E7AO - 12.

kayos90

I think I feel the same way about SAO as I did about Hyouka, where each has some really glaring issues that I can totally understand people hating on but for me ended up somewhat entertaining most of the time despite them.

I definitely think SAO pretty much sucks but I still love it regardless. lol

Articalys

Well, it's nice that they'll be airing it, although 4 days is a bit of a wait.
Actually, a short while after the announcement, the show page mysteriously changed to read "Simulcast on Fridays 12:00pm PDT", so... who knows what's going on there. No videos up yet besides the PV, though.

It still lists the publisher as "TV Asahi" either way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's an understandable reaction. I just justified that by slightly just going "eh" and then telling myself alien space politics.

I genuinely wish that I could rationalize more things this easily. It would certainly improve my viewing experience for a lot of stuff.

Alien space politics sounds about right. I mean,
dude's a (presumably popular) autocrat with the loyalty of a vast military
, I'd be crazy to think that
he'd actually get punished for anything even if he deserved it

You know, this is the first time I've seen you use foul language like this.

:( My impression of you has been shattered forever.

Now we just have DTL as our sole member with a pure vocabulary.

Natsuyuki 10

fQmyN.jpg

Coming back to this show after two weeks left two different impressions:

One, not remembering what the hell was going on.

Two, since I don't remember, everything felt fresh instead of knowing that this arc has been dragging since time began.

As such, dunno what to really think about the ongoing struggles of these characters anymore. I guess I'll just wait and watch the last episode.

kayos90

Nothing, your misunderstanding just made me chuckle.

What they mean by FEELS is when something sad/emotional invoking happen, the poster will said the slang like "dat feels bro" with mockery intention or not.

Oh.... FUCK. Dammit...

Branduil

SAO constantly espouses the virtues of archaic family structures, where the men are the providers and women belong in the kitchen, where children in need of nutrition and education are left to whither in orphanages unsupported by the government.

Is this really acceptable in 2012?

I'm Haly, and I approve of this message.

In SAO, 1% of the players get 99% of the phat loot drops.

Jex

Key words here being "have to". In reality, all dictatorships eventually lean to less than admirable practices in order to remain in power.

The same could be said of democratic governments. Campaign financing and the associated fundraising that surround it seem less than admirable.

Firemind

Honestly I really dont like the show as much as I had hoped to.
the premise is cool. Being stuck in a game where death is 100% real, but it just has not been compelling in action. Its like guy starts game, gril starts game. Guy does a bunch of filler shit. Guy meets girl. forced relationship.
forced family.

Be honest. You don't like the show because of Asuna.

Most romance shows have relationships that are shallow and unrealistic. That's what sells. Ask Stephenie Meyer. You seem to have this belief that a relationship is vapid because you don't like the character(s). That's reasonable since sappy romance stories are driven by emotion. What's questionable is that other shows have done them better because those characters are more to your liking. (Like how you mentioned Madoka as an example.)

jman2050

Unless it turns out that (AB spoilers)
everyone in SAO is already dead and are just living out their MMO fantasies in a giant Lotus Eater Server Machine and Asuna is drawn to Kirito because she has his spleen inside of her
SAO will never be worse than Angel Beats.

Jex

Yes, but that doesn't mean he's a good character. Or interesting. Or compelling. It really means nothing at all to say someone is a defined character with a personality.

Surely that can't be right, because saying nothing at all would involve an absence of any kind of content, where as saying "a defined character with a personality" is clearly more than nothing, but it's very definition.

kayos90

Unless it turns out that (AB spoilers)
everyone in SAO is already dead and are just living out their MMO fantasies in a giant Lotus Eater Server Machine and Asuna is drawn to Kirito because she has his spleen inside of her
SAO will never be worse than Angel Beats.

LOL. That's messed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom