• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven AO 22

Actually, I understand it well enough, it's just really, really stupid at this point.

The stuff at the end with
Renton in future New York City or wherever
would probably have had a bigger effect if I hadn't spoiled myself on it, but whatever. Nice to hear that insert song again though.

Here's hoping that the final two episodes in November bring a satisfactory conclus-- ahahahaha, who the hell am I kidding.

Yes.... Yes!.... YES!!

AW is pretty similar tho lolololol..

And Horizon fully acknowledge the story n premise is stupid, make it better by default. Just throw 24 minute battle episode sirrrrr, AW should apply that logic too.
At least when they fight in AW they have cool suits they wear. In Horizon my vision is compromised the whole time.

DiGiKerot

I agree with that. What happens to them IRL isnt really discussed, but I feel like for the story to be a bit more effective, they should at least touch on that aspect. Maybe thats one thing I enjoyed about Accel World, although others hated the reality parts. I would have been far more interested in the show had it delved into real world events along with SAOs world, but the show wasnt that ambitious. Instead so far it seems like a less exciting version of Ragnarok the animation or something, and doesnt even focus on the most likeable characters in the show. Perhaps the creators purposefully did this to differentiate it from AW, but it gives the show much less meat by tuning out an entire element of the story by just brushing it aside as unimportant.

*Shrug*

I don't know how you could actually go into any real depth on the IRL stuff without breaking the perspective through which it's told - it's told from Kirito's PoV, after all. Disrupt that and SAO would become a significantly different series to what it is. It would have been nice to see a bit more of the paranoia that the uncertainty would inevitably create in the playerbase explored in the show - you see people freaking out about the whole dying-in-game-kills-you thing, but not so much the fact that their bodies, even if they're being taken care of, will at least be weakening back in the real world.

But, I suppose the point is that, after the timeskip between the first and second episodes, it kind of becomes irrelevant - if you've not just keeled over and suddenly died in that first month or whatever, then clearly your body is being taken care of in the real world. The paranoia over that particular matter would stop being the major matter playing on your mind.

Honestly, there's bigger problems with the show with that, anyway. The way the whole Yui thing was handled in that second episode was so incredibly ham-fisted I couldn't help but roll my eyes at it somewhat.

kayos90

I know it's rather well-trodden ground, but I'd like to return to the whole Accel World vs Sword Art Online discussion for a moment.

In the previous thread we had a fairly thorough discussion of why we thought that Sword Art Online had become such a successful show and we tried to work out what factors contributed to it's popularity. What's interesting about Accel World is that I think it legitimately has more complicated and interesting characters than Sword Art Online. Cartman is a far, far better character than Kirito, for whatever that's worth. However, despite all that I really have no desire to watch any of the story-stuff from Accel World yet I've sat through all of Sword Art Online and I really couldn't tell you why.

Did you try and analyze what specific parts you found entertaining and enjoyable? Honestly I prefer SAO compared to AW until I read what happens from vol 5 and onwards in AW. I think the narrative speaks louder in SAO because it keeps a fairly narrow narrative scope whereas AW is grander. The former is about escaping a game while the latter is about achieving freaking supermode in Brain Burst. For me as a result SAO is easier to take in whereas I see AW as a stupid escapade.

Instead so far it seems like a less exciting version of Ragnarok the animation or something, and doesnt even focus on the most likeable characters in the show. Perhaps the creators purposefully did this to differentiate it from AW, but it gives the show much less meat by tuning out an entire element of the story by just brushing it aside as unimportant.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this point. I really admire the show for making the character actually commit to one love interest in stead of pussy-footing around the issue and bouncing between 2-7 women. It allows the characters to actually develop together and make a legitimate relationship. Quality over quantity, my friend. Especially with so much of the show left, I can't wait to see how it develops.

I was kind of bummed at first when he didn't
go with Liz
, but
Asuna
really grows on you, and now I totes respect the decision.

What characters were you hoping for more screentime?

cajunator

Banned
*Shrug*

I don't know how you could actually go into any real depth on the IRL stuff without breaking the perspective through which it's told - it's told from Kirito's PoV, after all. Disrupt that and SAO would become a significantly different series to what it is. It would have been nice to see a bit more of the paranoia that the uncertainty would inevitably create in the playerbase explored in the show - you see people freaking out about the whole dying-in-game-kills-you thing, but not so much the fact that their bodies, even if they're being taken care of, will at least be weakening back in the real world.

But, I suppose the point is that, after the timeskip between the first and second episodes, it kind of becomes irrelevant - if you've not just keeled over and suddenly died in that first month or whatever, then clearly your body is being taken care of in the real world. The paranoia over that particular matter would stop being the major matter playing on your mind.

Honestly, there's bigger problems with the show with that, anyway. The way the whole Yui thing was handled in that second episode was so incredibly ham-fisted I couldn't help but roll my eyes at it somewhat.

Well as I said before the main problem I have with SAO is that the world its contained in is just not that interesting at all. the locations are boring. the main characters are dull as fuck. The story moves extremely slowly. The interesting characters have maybe an episode or two at best of relevance. It all adds up to a mundane experience. AW wasnt a stellar show in any regard, but it was at least a more creatively designed world, had a fun concept, and characters with some depth to them.

Steroyd

well, choosing 4-koma adaptations is cheating. What was the last inferior 4-koma anime adaptation?

Kill Me Baby?

Started it. Left off on episode 3.

yiyaO.png

You upset her with this news.

kayos90

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this point. I really admire the show for making the character actually commit to one love interest in stead of pussy-footing around the issue and bouncing between 2-7 women. It allows the characters to actually develop together and make a legitimate relationship. Quality over quantity, my friend. Especially with so much of the show left, I can't wait to see how it develops.

go with Rika
, but
Asuna

Cajun wants more lizbeth and Silica.

Did you try and analyze what specific parts you found entertaining and enjoyable? Honestly I prefer SAO compared to AW until I read what happens from vol 5 and onwards in AW. I think the narrative speaks louder in SAO because it keeps a fairly narrow narrative scope whereas AW is grander. The former is about escaping a game while the latter is about achieving freaking supermode in Brain Burst. For me as a result SAO is easier to take in whereas I see AW as a stupid escapade.
I really liked how, in the beginning, AW seemed to be about KYH's obsession with the origin and nature of Brain Burst. But then it totally changed gears and I was sad.

kayos90

Well as I said before the main problem I have with SAO is that the world its contained in is just not that interesting at all. the locations are boring. the main characters are dull as fuck. The story moves extremely slowly. The interesting characters have maybe an episode or two at best of relevance. It all adds up to a mundane experience. AW wasnt a stellar show in any regard, but it was at least a more creatively designed world, had a fun concept, and characters with some depth to them.

I think that the characters don't have much depth to them because the authors portray them all with one single trait. Trying to get the fuck out of the game. This might be one of the inherent flaws with SAO since he doesn't flesh them out and just leaves it at that.

I really liked how, in the beginning, AW seemed to be about KYH's obsession with the origin and nature of Brain Burst. But then it totally changed gears and I was sad.

Yup. That's what happened for me. Luckily that changes completely with the arc after where the anime left off. It's pretty cool.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

go with Rika
, but
Asuna

Sadly he chose the wrong girl, so there really isn't much to admire there. It's like admiring someone for choosing the limp, soggy, cardboard-esque waffle left over from last week's breakfast when he could have a fresh, hot pile of delicious pancakes right off the griddle. We call those people "idiots", and Kirito is a prime example.

cajunator

Banned

go with Rika
, but
Asuna

Say what? Fucking LOL.
a legitimate relationship between Kirito and Asuna? Outside of pretty much forcing them towards the glop scene and having them together as husbando and waifu, it has all the relationship believability of Star Wars Prequels. There is absolutely nothing that feels legitimate about the two together. Im not saying this out of some shallow preference for some other pairing, Im saying that it could be done in am uch more realistic way than that. right now it seems like puppy love at best. The author should watch actual romance shows of any type.

Sadly he chose the wrong girl, so there really isn't much to admire there. It's like admiring someone for choosing the limp, soggy, cardboard-esque waffle left over from last week's breakfast when he could have a fresh, hot pile of delicious pancakes right off the griddle. We call those people "idiots", and Kirito is a prime example.

Well maybe if
Liz
would have sprouted some balls and done something it would have been a different situation. At least
asuna
has a goddam spine.

kayos90

Say what? Fucking LOL.
a legitimate relationship between Kirito and Asuna? Outside of pretty much forcing them towards the glop scene and having them together as husbando and waifu, it has all the relationship believability of Star Wars Prequels. There is absolutely nothing that feels legitimate about the two together. Im not saying this out of some shallow preference for some other pairing, Im saying that it could be done in am uch more realistic way than that. right now it seems like puppy love at best. The author should watch actual romance shows of any type.

I will agree with cajun that Asuna and Kirito's releationship in the anime feels like it's COMPLETELY OUT OF THE BLUE and shallow. The LN gets that shit right.

DiGiKerot

I don't actually entirely disagree with any of these points (and, honestly, I prefer Accel World as well) - I just think that those complaining about the lack of explanation of what is going on in the real world are grasping at the wrong issue with the show, and it's probably indicative of the fact that they didn't even adequately explore even the internal to SAO implications on the matter it. If they'd applied more focus on it, the purpose behind them deliberately not explaining it would have, at least, been clearer.

Not that I don't find SAO at least entertaining on some level, but it has under-delivered on what I expected on several levels. The OP made promises of a girl-running-up-sword nature that the show itself failed to deliver on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cartman is a far, far better character than Kirito, for whatever that's worth.

But from the way people describe him he's a self obsessed misery guts. Sounds like a bad character. Then again Panda is a right shit but the show he's in is enjoyable.

As for SAO in game vs real life. I have said that I think a show set in the real world would be interesting, but solely from the point of view on those outside of the game.

kayos90

But from the way people describe him he's a self obsessed misery guts. Sounds like a bad character. Then again Panda is a right shit but the show he's in is enjoyable.

As for SAO in game vs real life. I have said that I think a show set in the real world would be interesting, but solely from the point of view on those outside of the game.

Silver Crow is badass and awesome and arguably more awesome than Kirito. Haruyuki sucks. However, what's most important is that KYH pretty much shits on both of them combined.

Jex

I may not personally like Cartman but he's actually like, a defined character with a personality and stuff.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I may not personally like Cartman but he's actually like, a defined character with a personality and stuff.

Yes, but that doesn't mean he's a good character. Or interesting. Or compelling. It really means nothing at all to say someone is a defined character with a personality.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Silver Crow is badass and awesome and arguably more awesome than Kirito. Haruyuki sucks. However, what's most important is that KYH pretty much shits on both of them combined.
You've just mentioned a bunch of names that I have no idea as to what they mean.

Bad character is better than no character.
Well I suppose a bad character as least allows me to form an opinion of them. I wouldn't know how to describe Kirito apart from Gary Stu.

cajunator

Banned
I will agree with cajun that Asuna and Kirito's releationship in the anime feels like it's COMPLETELY OUT OF THE BLUE and shallow. The LN gets that shit right.

Im not referring to the LN's here though but in the context of the anime.
The anime seems completely rushed and enormously forced. They just literally ended up together after a particular episode and suddenly they were madly in love or some shit.
Maybe its because it has only been a short number of episodes, but Madoka Magica had more believable relationships between characters and that was only 12 episodes. The characters are just horribly and blandly written. The Accel World characters werent exactly award winners either, but they at least had genuine feelings towards each other (outside of forced haremshit episodes).

Firemind

Say what? Fucking LOL.

lol

The hate is strong in this one.

kayos90

Im not referring to the LN's here though but in the context of the anime.
The anime seems completely rushed and enormously forced. They just literally ended up together after a particular episode and suddenly they were madly in love or some shit.
Maybe its because it has only been a short number of episodes, but Madoka Magica had more believable relationships between characters and that was only 12 episodes. The characters are just horribly and blandly written. The Accel World characters werent exactly award winners either, but they at least had genuine feelings towards each other (outside of forced haremshit episodes).

I know you are. I'm just saying that the anime does a shitty job of what the LN did, which was at least adequate.

lol

He really hates the forced AsunaxKirito OTP. One of the few disagreements that cajun and I ahve.

cajunator

Banned
Even in the shiny new Fall Thread, Sword Art Online is still the most talked about show in AnimeGAF.

to be fair, its one of the only shows still airing from last season along with Space Bros. Plus nothing has really started yet except From the NeW World.

lol

Honestly I really dont like the show as much as I had hoped to.
the premise is cool. Being stuck in a game where death is 100% real, but it just has not been compelling in action. Its like guy starts game, gril starts game. Guy does a bunch of filler shit. Guy meets girl. forced relationship.
forced family.

kayos90

Honestly I really dont like the show as much as I had hoped to.
the premise is cool. Being stuck in a game where death is 100% real, but it just has not been compelling in action. Its like guy starts game, gril starts game. Guy does a bunch of filler shit. Guy meets girl. forced relationship.
forced family.

Cajun. If you plan on continuing to watch SAO and save yourself some hate in the coming episodes until the end I should either explain the basis of their relationship or you should read the LN, Vol1.

Oceanblue's OT title pitch was really on the mark in hindsight.

Holy shit. How the hell did I miss that. Fucking brilliant.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rinne no Lagrange S2 12 (END):

Well that's that.
The darkness is vanquished, the good guys win, the cycle of MARU continues.
The sappy shit about
Dizelmine LITERALLY getting a second chance at life--he emerges from the Rinne space as an adolescent--
was too much, even if it's consistent with the optimistic and cheerful tone of the show. Doesn't he kinda sorta have
the deaths of tens of thousands of his countrymen
to answer for? I find it distasteful when
villains who have perpetrated genuinely horrible atrocities magically escape the repercussions of their actions simply because they've had a "change of heart", which I suppose applies to Space Tiger as well. I guess you don't get blinked out of existence like Moid if you're bishounen enough

Final verdict: mild trainwreck. Too sick and tired for more in-depth discussion. I'm taking a nap.

Thoraxes

E7AO - 22

Nirvash!!!!

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

*camera shot changes, pans up*

DDDDDDDDDDDDD:

All in all though, I don't really see how this episode was the one to jump the shark for people the most (judging by your reactions so far). It's all pretty logical considering the way the show has been going since the beginning. Maybe you all were just in denial the whole time.

I'm not watching it with the same mindset you guys are though, so I guess it makes sense to me why I like this show so much.

kayos90

E7AO - 22

Nirvash!!!!

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

*camera shot changes, pans up*

DDDDDDDDDDDDD:

All in all though, I don't really see how this episode was the one to jump the shark for people the most. It's all pretty logical considering the way the show has been going since the beginning.

I'm not watching it with the same mindset you guys are though, so I guess it makes sense to me why I like this show so much.

Your avatar fits my reaction.

Also, here's Saber? What the....

Rinne no Lagrange S2 12 (END):
Dizelmine LITERALLY getting a second chance at life--he emerges from the Rinne space as an adolescent--
was too much, even if it's consistent with the breezy and cheerful tone of the show. Doesn't he kinda sorta have
the deaths of tens of thousands of his countrymen
to answer for? I find it distasteful when
villains who have perpetrated genuinely horrible atrocities magically escape the repercussions of their actions simply because they've had a "change of heart". I suppose that this applies to Space Tiger as well. I guess you don't get blinked out of existence like Moid if you're bishounen enough

I liked that part of it though, everyone deserves a second chance or so.
And nice character design improvement

cajunator

Banned
Cajun. If you plan on continuing to watch SAO and save yourself some hate in the coming episodes until the end I should either explain the basis of their relationship or you should read the LN, Vol1.

I just dont think SAO is a show for me.
Ive pretty much decided to drop it entirely out of boredom.
Theres more interesting stuff around the corner. If I see people mentioning Silica or Lizbeth again I might revisit it but right now its the ASuna and Kirito show and frankly they arent characters interesting enough to follow. Thats really what it has come down to.
If people like Asuna, Im sure they are following intentily, but I dont like her. Shes as emotionally vapid as Chi from Chobits. Thats seriously what I think of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom