• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Minsc-

Gintama 122

Such rare monkeys!

MonHun continues and of course the whole gang appears. Still amusing, we're getting cruder jokes now but still fun.

The jokes at times in Gintama tend to get cruder as the series progresses. Thankfully the show doesn't rely on them all the time.

duckroll

Magi Art Online 1

That was alright. The art direction was very good and the animation expressive with some decent sakuga scenes. The story itself isn't bad but it doesn't seem like anything special either, but I guess it gets better later; if not, I'll know who to blame. I could nitpick stuff like why Alibaba just lets this kid who's ruined his life stick around with him or why the boss lets him hang around after he's already demonstrated his ridiculous magical powers, but whatever.

I know people have compared this to Fullmetal Alchemist, but I don't really see it. Also, I hope that breasts thing isn't going to be a running joke because it's already old.

Okay, I don't usually like to do manga-anime comparisons in depth after just the first episode, but I feel like enough impressions of episode 1 have been posted mostly containing the same gripe, which warrants a sort of "explanation" on how the anime kinda dropped the ball on a certain narrative point.

For those who are not interested in knowing what the anime is missing, I understand, so I will put it all in spoiler text, and it's up to you whether you want to read and/or respond to it. I just feel it's a point worth discussing since almost everyone who hasn't read the manga has brought up the same valid point.

In the manga, the first chapter features only Aladdin, and introduces the readers to the character independent of Alibaba. In the second chapter, Alibaba is working as driver for a caravan, like he is at the latter half of the first episode. In fact, this is the exact same story, but without Mor in the picture at all, and without Alibaba and Aladdin knowing each other. Aladdin is in the caravan, and this when they first meet. Alibaba doesn't like him, and is trying to ignore him during the journey so he doesn't get into trouble. There are also no slaves involved. But a child is still trapped by the monster, and it ends the same way.

The start of the first episode is actually mostly derived from the third chapter of the manga, where only after seeing Aladdin save his life, and showing off his amazing powers, Alibaba decides to let him tag along, and panders to all his whims and fancies, because he has formulated a plan in his head where he wants to use Aladdin to conquer the dungeon. In fact, it is only then that the incident with Mor happens, and Aladdin breaks her chains. After this, they run from the slave masters, and dive straight into the dungeon.

So yeah, if you're wondering why the character behaviors in the first episode were kinda illogical (and I agree), that's why. Yoshino sux.

Branduil

Okay, I don't usually like to do manga-anime comparisons in depth after just the first episode, but I feel like enough impressions of episode 1 have been posted mostly containing the same gripe, which warrants a sort of "explanation" on how the anime kinda dropped the ball on a certain narrative point.

For those who are not interested in knowing what the anime is missing, I understand, so I will put it all in spoiler text, and it's up to you whether you want to read and/or respond to it. I just feel it's a point worth discussing since almost everyone who hasn't read the manga has brought up the same valid point.

In the manga, the first chapter features only Aladdin, and introduces the readers to the character independent of Alibaba. In the second chapter, Alibaba is working as driver for a caravan, like he is at the latter half of the first episode. In fact, this is the exact same story, but without Mor in the picture at all, and without Alibaba and Aladdin knowing each other. Aladdin is in the caravan, and this when they first meet. Alibaba doesn't like him, and is trying to ignore him during the journey so he doesn't get into trouble. There are also no slaves involved. But a child is still trapped by the monster, and it ends the same way.

The start of the first episode is actually mostly derived from the third chapter of the manga, where only after seeing Aladdin save his life, and showing off his amazing powers, Alibaba decides to let him tag along, and panders to all his whims and fancies, because he has formulated a plan in his head where he wants to use Aladdin to conquer the dungeon. In fact, it is only then that the incident with Mor happens, and Aladdin breaks her chains. After this, they run from the slave masters, and dive straight into the dungeon.

So yeah, if you're wondering why the character behaviors in the first episode were kinda illogical (and I agree), that's why. Yoshino sux.

Well that seems like a pretty thoughtless way to adapt that chain of events.

Articalys

Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai! 2

This will be a good series.
Now I see why prescreening impressions of episode 2 were so much more enthusiastic.

hayate no gotoku s3 02

Eh.

Not sure i dig the new girl... and is it just me or are they adding a lot of new characters that haven't appeared in the anime before o_O.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ibhb1bbUCM96ce.gif

Kazzy

Ah, that explains why they simply ignored her during the caravan scene. Seeing as she is a central character though, it seems at odds with their future relationships, that both Aladdin and Alibaba were content to let her slip back into slavery. I mean, where it not for the caravan attack, nothing would have changed.

"If he dies, he dies."

One episode left of The Ambition of Oda Nobuna.

I've enjoyed this series WAY more than I thought I was going to and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the slightly more serious tone combined with legitimately well animated action sequences.

Normally these sorts of shows do nothing for me.

Narag

I've enjoyed this series WAY more than I thought I was going to and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the slightly more serious tone combined with legitimately well animated action sequences.

Dat Lolieyasu.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

It certainly was a surprise for all of us who watched it. Not bad at all.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not even two minutes into the episode (Ixion Saga DT) and this guy has already earned himself the beta of the year award for getting embarrassed when talking to a woman online.

GGWP

fertygo

That's a pretty weird thing to single it out for. People complain a lot of stuff when referring to standard battle shounen, but breast squeezing usually isn't one of them. Just look at JoJo. Everyone is too fabulous to have time for breasts.

Wanna bet sooner than later people gonna complain about clothes and stuff? lol

Joe Molotov

That's a pretty weird thing to single it out for. People complain a lot of stuff when referring to standard battle shounen, but breast squeezing usually isn't one of them. Just look at JoJo. Everyone is too fabulous to have time for breasts.

I dunno man, in the very first episode, Jojo had a swimsuit scene. Seems pretty fan-servicey to me.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 9

Japanese Simon Pegg made another brief cameo at the beginning of this episode. Well that about wraps it up for the positives.

I made a joke that the school itself is a sick place. Apparently I wasn't wrong. Your environment shapes you so it's no wonder most of the pupils here are messed up.

Now of course you obviously want to know what I think about our "favourite" MC. I could thank Evilore for recently pardoning a certain term that could be used to describe M.C.Dick, but I'm afraid that term just doesn't cut it. Now you're probably thinking how is it possible for me to hate his guts even more? Well maybe because without a seconds thought he decided to get it on with ANOTHER girl. (No, not the girl from Another, but a girl who isn't one of the two I usually talk about silly). And the worst thing about it is that he probably thinks he's doing his good deed for the day. It's gotten so bad that when they introduced another character for no apparent reason ( friend of the "girlfriend"'s younger sister) I wouldn't have been surprised if he is pulled off her knickers there and then and bonked her. Yes I am taking into account that she is probably 10.

After thinking about it for a while I worked out why the characters in this show are so infuriating. It is because none of them act in a manner that they should. M.C.Dick should play SAO because he could die a million times and it wouldn't matter because clearly his brain is in his penis. "Best" girl seems to forgotten everything that has happened in this show so far and lives only in the now. And "Girlfriend" seems to be stuck on the script from a few episodes back. But at least she seems to have caught up now. Lets hope there's some light at the end of this tunnel and she
goes full yandere, kills the MC with one of her knitting needles, puts his body in a meat grinder, uses the meat strands to knit a new scarf and the final scene is of her with the scarf round her neck all happy and smiley because now they'll always be together.
Ah bless.

And on a final note, I'd like to make a special mention of one of the few girls at this school who hasn't offended me one bit. Well done you.

Heh. hehehee.

Oh, brother! I now want to watch this too, if only to figure out if your posts are pure unabated hatred, or if you really are enjoying this.

Watch it :D
It will change your perspectives.

You clearly haven't paid much attention to this thread though! I will admit, however, that before I encountered the work in this thread I had never, ever heard of it.

A certain someone here tried to spoil it for me so I had to go offline for a while to finish it >_>. He was unsuccessful though. I couldnt believe that people managed not to tell me how it ended before despite mentioning the show.

Well, that's kind of the point. The location it's set in is far less fantastical.

Could be a good thing actually, if it explains things about the characters IRL and how they dealt with being "plugged in".

(Nitpick #1) You know, I noticed Aladdin's toes in this picture are backwards. Looking at a persons left foot from behind the big toe should be on the right whereas the little toe should be on the left, yet here it's the opposite. It almost looks like the ball of his foot is reversed as well.

Yeah, I know what you mean as far as the club-rooms, I love those little details too. They really feel like an actual place then, almost to the point of being another character in the show itself and not just some set that the characters happen to be in or at.

(Nitpick #2) Your picture captions of "Off" and "On" reminded me of the English dub of K-On!. I don't remember the last time I've seen an English dub of an Anime but I saw the episode of K-On! where Azusa joins in English. During the eyecatch with the cassette tape they pronounced the title like "Kay-On" with more of an "aaah" sound so "On" as in turning a light-switch "On". The Japanese is pronounced more with an "ooh" sound so it's more like "Own", as in short for "Ongaku", meaning music. Despite the fact that it's spelled "On" in English or when romanized, it doesn't really make any sense now to pronounce it like "Kay-On".

I forget if the club name was mentioned or not, I only really remember them saying things like "Welcome to the club" or "you're our newest club member!", something like that.

Lol thats a funny mistake to make with Aladdins feet. It probably happens more than people notice though.

Regarding K-On, there is so much detail and stuff going on in the background that it stands up well to rewatches. I feel like I discover different things when I rewatch it. Maybe I just have really bad attention span.

(0verflow universe spoilers: Summer Days & Cross days)
Nanami's boyfriend is molesting that girl, Uzuki. (Uzuki thinks of herself as his girlfriend.) He tutors her cram-school class (which incidentally is also how Makoto's father got started on his little girl impregnation spree).
Nanami's boyfriend is infatuated with his own younger sister, but naturally figures he can't have her, and goes after other girls in place of her. There's an ending in Cross Days where he does wind up with his own sister and then effectively dumps Nanami (starts ignoring her). Nanami then ends up turning to the rumored sex-master Makoto for comfort (as suggested to her by her friends/Makoto's satisfied customers) and joins his harem.

heheh. You said cram.

Kamisama Kiss 02

Show is still going strong. Plenty of comedy, light dramatic moments that doesn't overwhelm, side character no one really cares about. It's still enjoyable, they still use the old time movie voice as flashback and nothing really felt stretched in order to kill time.

This looks relevant to my interests. Another shoujo is a good thing.

Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi 02

Jokes were pretty flat this week but the background proved interesting.

Oh wow....Whats the context?

Chuu 2 Byo 02:

At the pool with Shinka. We're off to a great start! Yuuta definitely has his priorities in order. Respect +1

Okay I admit that was how I was woken up sometimes when I was younger. I still have bad memories of it.

Shinka is the kind of girl I always fell for in high school
and never scored with/ ;-;

Did... did he just "hnnnng"? I do believe his imagination caused him to "hnnnng".

Tsuyuri Kumin is cute. I approve.

Rikka's room. I approve.

Rikka's older sister enters! She's a ninja! I approve.

Rikka's older sister is evil. I approve.

Tsuyuri Kumin is a casualty. I do not approve.

Rikka vision. I FUCKING APPROVE!! :D (or is it Yuuta vision? I'm not sure to be honest... could be either/or)

I like how you think :p

Cwarrior

Spot on, I shudder to think what these guys are going to do to the balbad arc :s.

Emitan

Chuunibyou 2
vlcsnap-2012-10-10-18ugj7h.png

I had better be on that poll

vlcsnap-2012-10-10-18tejak.png

This is codeword for "i left my bras and panties everywhere"

Another fantastic episode from The Best Show on Television™

We have a new character introduced as well as get more characterization of Hairclip.

Yuuta trying to hide his fascination for guns is pretty funny. Guess he can't completely abandon his Dark Flame Master days. Speaking of... Rikka's sister hahaha. She's such a badass.

DAT FIGHT SCENE WHAT WHAT OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING THIS IS AMAZING!

survivor

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai 2

That was some awesome
action sequence near the end with Rikka and Tooka.
I seriously hope we get more of that in the upcoming episodes.

Anyone got the gif of Rikka from the OP swirling her hands around? I was finally able to watch all of it so I just noticed it this episode.

-Minsc-

SAO 1-14

Not much I can say which hasn't been already. I don't believe it's the steaming pile of shit many made it out to be. The show never felt like a chore to watch. Over all though it's an average series of missed potential. SAO succeeded in piquing my interest on the long term psychological affects on a whole community of people whose consciousness is trapped in a virtual world. Someday I'd like to see an anime properly address this.

On another note, I have the urge to re-watch The Tower of DRUAGA.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not even two minutes into the episode (Ixion Saga DT) and this guy has already earned himself the beta of the year award for getting embarrassed when talking to a woman online.

GGWP
I get embarrassed when I talk to you online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom