• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Glass Fleet 19

qXu0el.png

uh... lol

Legendary admiral's plan was to storm the Emperor's ship, one I presume to have a full complement of bodyguards, with a ragtag bunch of prisoners and CLEO
Action in this ep makes the action in wonzo's Kingdom gifs look competent. The ending revelation too. loooooooool :(

Vetti discussing Cleo. said:

Hey. man, you guys have to be the ones to take the initiative sometimes. Anyone who doesn't have their own personal folder dedicated to Kanetsugu by now should be ashamed.

Nonetheless,

ZudAR.gif

Aw, I miss this show.

I may be desperate at times for some yuri. But I will never reach a point where I have to settle for that!

Kenshin and Kanetsugu is probably the weakest yuri couple in the show. There is so much more~

After I die tomorrow, you can have my avatar.
Thanks, but your avatar is a little too mainstream for me.
Magi Art Online 1

Also, I hope that breasts thing isn't going to be a running joke because it's already old.
I didn't mind it. Since he's a kid it's cute, and the manboob groping was funny. Also it reminded me of this Madoka comic. (spoilers)
SAO 1-14

Not much I can say which hasn't been already. I don't believe it's the steaming pile of shit many made it out to be. The show never felt like a chore to watch. Over all though it's an average series of missed potential. SAO succeeded in piquing my interest on the long term psychological affects on a whole community of people whose consciousness is trapped in a virtual world. Someday I'd like to see an anime properly address this.

On another note, I have the urge to re-watch The Tower of DRUAGA.
To be fair, I expect this to at least be touched on in the next episode. If it doesn't, then we can lament its absence.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Memory's fuzzy but the 4kids dub didn't do it any favors.

Does the 4Kids dub use the same voice actors from the game? I take it the JP voices are fine though?

I thought the cartoon had its moments but its been so long ago that I cant barely remember it.

Hm. I want to watch it, mainly because the games were awesome, but I don't want to start watching something that I'm not gonna like.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Chuunibyo Episode 02

Both a horrible and a great episode seems physically impossible yet Chuunibyo, with its insanity inducing concept, somehow manages to pull it off with great pride. The main problem with this episode is that it's broken up into two acts, each of them being completely irrelevant to each other.

In the first part we see Yuuta trying to adjust and go about in his normal life, and in the second part we see him trying to deal with a cat. It's annoying because what could've been a great coherent episode from beginning to end is cleaved smack down in the middle leaving one wondering, what exactly was the point of the beginning. It's clear that the episode is meant to focus on Yuuta's great cat escapade, yet KyoAni somehow dawdles around meaningless trivialities that have no relevancy to the focus of the episode.

However, this doesn't mean that the first part was absolutely terrible. In fact it was quite enjoyable to see a bit of slice and life as Yuuta increases his harem (just kidding). Class rep appears to be an interesting character and her interaction with Yuuta is enjoyable to say the least. It's not too crazy, however, it's not too mundane.

If anything can be said about the two polarizing parts of the episode is that it provides a stark contrast of how Yuuta goes about his life at school without Rikka barging in, and one with her doing said stuff. It shows as the pace and tone of the episode immediately changes once she enters the picture. However, for better or worse, the show does good in what it tries to do. Separating and giving contrasts of what Yuuta's world is like.

Overall, the episode as a whole fails to live up to the greatness of the first episode, however, in certain aspects it exceeds well above it.

survivor

Banned
Kamisama Kiss 2

Those shoujo sparkles, they are beautiful. Kurama's entry was pretty funny, he makes all the girls blush by just looking at them.

There really wasn't that much on the romance side, but more about introducing a new character. I suppose the next couple episodes will be similar and just introduce the rest of the cast? I hope they don't take a long time with it like Binbougami and end up ruining the show. There was also a lack of backstory, but they might be saving that for future arcs?

As for all the shoujo shows of this season here is where I stand

Nanami > Shizuku
Tonari's colourful and bright visuals >> Kamisama's bland style
Say I Love You shouldn't exist, we don't need another KnT in this world

Toriko 74 (hulu)
tumblr_mbnqvlanQa1roy8s6o1_500.jpg

Last week was the butt faced cow and now its Butt Salt, someone on the staff seems obsessed with butts, and it just seems so awkward.

Episode was fun anyway, Execution Falls is splendid and magnificient and Sunny is so beautiful with the whole last few minutes there, Toriko admiring too. The Luck stuff is oddly compelling even though its two weeks in a row I chose the worst one, Imma have to carry that photo of Toriko this week to stay on good lucks side. Kind of reminds me of Reborns horoscope segment which was fun.

cjkeats

Fate/Zero Ep 2

Well you guys weren't kidding, still more set-up, but at least this time it was entertaining to watch.

lG1bk.png

I'm really going to like this guy.

NnD2r.png

Probably this guy too.
This show is pretty dark isn't it? My screens brightness can only go up so far.

I'm a little confused about the time period. It seems like modern day at some points, but midevil times at other points. I probably missed something in that snorefest that was episode 1 but I'm guessing that this is modern times and the summons are from various times.

unrelated: Woo, I'm not a junior anymore!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Zero Ep 2

Well you guys weren't kidding, still more set-up, but at least this time it was entertaining to watch.

I'm a little confused about the time period. It seems like modern day at some points, but midevil times at other points. I probably missed something in that snorefest that was episode 1 but I'm guessing that this is modern times and the summons are from various times.

Fate/Zero doesn't follow the 3 episode rule. It follows the 4-episode rule.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero Ep 2

Its modern day, with kings from various time periods. Some of the kings are more primitive and ruthless obviously. This is an era where Rider
goes to a shopping mall
so its assuredly modern.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I may be desperate at times for some yuri. But I will never reach a point where I have to settle for that!

You just marathoned all of Kannazuki no Miko! That's not just having no standards, that's having negative standards!

And good riddance.

See you next week!

Does the 4Kids dub use the same voice actors from the game? I take it the JP voices are fine though?

Honestly, I just don't know. I know this is totally unhelpful ._.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if it's even possible to find the JP voices (granted, I've never looked.)

Shaft took over production of Gintama?

He's wearing a shirt, so I can't tell if his abs are gone!

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai 2

Although similar in tone and content to the last episode, this one was quite an improvement. The pacing was much better and the developments more diverse, as several characters were newly introduced and a brilliant
action sequence
concluded the episode. The story, so far, is quite simplistic in nature, but it works surprisingly well, due largely to the highly interesting dynamic between Rikka and Yuuta.

The chuunibyou sequences are consistently humorous, due mostly to the surrounding reactions, particularly whenever Yuuta or Kumin respond positively to Rikka's embarrassing fantasies. I particularly liked the last scene, in which,
while Rikka quietly stands on her balcony, Yuuta receives her cat and willingly invites it into his house
, since this portrays a more understanding side from Yuuta, as he's becoming increasingly appreciative of Rikka, despite her "annoying" delusions. Of course, my favorite moment was the spectacularly sakuga
action sequence
, which was really incredible, animated with a particular fluidity and exceptional attention to detail. Aside from the romantic elements, I'm still waiting to see which approach will be taken in regards to the overall narrative, as I'd much prefer it to develop in a more realistic fashion, where, towards the end, Rikka begins to mature, moving past her youthful, chuunibyou self, essentially allowing it to form a coming of age story.

Rikka and her delusional antics continue to be quite entertaining, particularly due to how Yuuta, despite how often it irritates him, becomes further entangled in her flights of fancy, allowing himself to occasionally indulge his chuunibyou tendencies. As such, Yuuta's continued suffering at the hands of Rikka, her sister, and others is rather amusing. Although there wasn't considerable progress in Yuuta and Rikka's relationship, it remains consistently engaging and interesting, due to their excellent chemistry, effectively causing their interactions to consistently be the best and most enjoyable element of the show. Two new characters were introduced, and they seem to be excellent additions to the supporting cast. Rikka's sister is fantastic, and I love the manner in which she counteracts Rikka's numerous delusions; definitely the best girl of the show. Kumin is also a pretty good character, as she plays off Rikka and Yutta quite well, greatly responding to her quirks. As for Shinka, she's a decent character, but relatively uninteresting so far, especially in comparison to the others.

The production values remain, for the most part, very strong. The backgrounds in this episode were greatly impressive, particularly the momentary glimpse of Rikka's room, which was extremely detailed. The animation, especially during the amazing
fight sequence
towards the end, is very good, particularly in how it confidently captures seemingly subtle nuances in specific movements, displayed most notably throughout the
action scene
and the moment when Rikka's sister snatches her recording device away from Yuuta. The direction is also a very strong element.

All in all, despite enjoying the first episode, Chuunibyou has improved considerably with this one. Although consistently excelling in several areas, such as the character interactions and the animation, it's story and supporting characters have begun to exceed my expectations following the introductory episode. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, and I hope to see the character development strengthen as the story progresses.

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You 2

YES! The best character makes an appearance! It's a bit disheartening to know she'll be relegated to the eyecatch sketches, but it's better than nothing. Too bad we won't get to see the iPhone story or the quiz.

Anyway, this is really weird. It's like they're combining what the series was like (manga spoilers)
before and after Nagi lost the mansion.
The violet mansion and tenants are there, even the manga girl.

Not much to say other than that. More 4th wall breaking humor and silliness. Still not sure how I feel about it, but I'll keep watching for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom