• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
tbh ive only read a few shounen manga, Berserk, and a few Osamu Tezuka ones
it would have to be a pretty standout manga to keep my interest

I will keep watching the anime for now
The One Piece anime mixed the beginning sequence up pretty badly and it turned out ok

The problem being that I didn't find Hyouka (even the supposed best arc) to hold my interest, despite being technically good
Same deal with more fun shows like bakuman where the style is still kind of slice of lifey (probably the most boring setting and style for me)

Chuunibyo is much less slice of life and more slice of delusions. Rikka is genuinely crazy and it affects the other characters all the time. It plays out really well.

I will keep watching the anime for now
The One Piece anime mixed the beginning sequence up pretty badly and it turned out ok.

One Piece has hundreds of episodes. Plenty of time to pull itself up after a slow opening. Magi will have 24-26. Doesn't mean it won't be good, but I'm skeptical when the simple beginning can be messed with so much. Of course, the point of the anime adaptation is a certain arc, which I'm sure will be done well to some extent.

Saint Seiya Omega 27

Last 5 minutes were cool. That's about all I have to say.

Instro

Saint Seiya Omega 27

:(. Quite an emotional delivery, Umakoshi+Sahashi along with well written dialogue really put that whole scene over. Lots of great eye visuals this week,
I think I saw like 20 different looking versions of Mars eye before it was over lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Apparently, GSC is selling some cool stuff at NYCC. Wish I could go.

539325_359084534180146_1042218360_n.jpg

Dresden

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! - 02

Enjoying this more now. Even the delusions are handled in a way where it's not too embarrassing, and the 'combat' near the end was done well, cutting in and out of the delusion to both deflate and poke fun at the theater of Rikka's performance. It really is Haruhi; Yuuta serves as a check to Rikka, while he gathers around him a harem of young women. And I guess the potentially brolustic bro.

All the characters outside of Yuuta himself seems to just tick basic moe archetypes, and I doubt it'll go beyond that, but for now I don't mind too much. We've known for a while that it's no Hyouka; all I'm hoping for at this point is an enjoyable show.

Some of the layout is reminiscent of Nichijou more than anything else. Something about the isometric viewpoint and the way different heights are layered.

Charming stuff so far. Will keep watching.

Unfortunately, the abuse of young delusional girls has shifted to that of animals instead. That poor cat.

cajunator

Banned
wasnt it just a typical anime deus ex machina?
it felt really out of place considering the quality of the buildup

Yeah. It literally just slapped the viewer in the face. the show built up to the ending really well IMO and could have been pretty special, although seeing as
nearly everybody died
it might have been a bit too depressing.

Uchip

Banned
Yeah. It literally just slapped the viewer in the face. the show built up to the ending really well IMO and could have been pretty special, although seeing as
nearly everybody died

they might as well have just pulled out the dragonballs at that point

jman2050

nearly everybody died

The worst part isn't even the ending itself, it's that they telegraphed it so transparently episodes in advance.
The moment Tate died I was like "ah man they're doing a reset ending, aren't they." So I ended up just waiting for the other shoe to drop as the end approached

Of course, even considering that I never imagined it would be handled as lazily and so obviously asspulled as it was. So thinking about it, the ending probably still is the worst part...

cajunator

Banned
Now that we've all had a chance to enjoy the normal episode 2, here's Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai! Lite episode 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcy69XOY7c

Looks like this one's a story from Kuzuha's perspective about Yuta in his Dark Flame Master days.
Also contains FukuJun getting to unleash some fabulous for Yuta's DFM voice.

These are worth watching just for the ED. Cutest thing in a while.

The worst part isn't even the ending itself, it's that they telegraphed it so transparently episodes in advance.
The moment Tate died I was like "ah man they're doing a reset ending, aren't they." So I ended up just waiting for the other shoe to drop as the end approached

Of course, even considering that I never imagined it would be handled as lazily and so obviously asspulled as it was. So thinking about it, the ending probably still is the worst part...

It kind of reminds me of the asspull at the end of Kiddy Grade, except that show's ending was a lot more entertaining.
Also, under no circumstances should you EVER watch Kiddy Girl And. Just don't. The show is as stupid as the name.
I havent seen My Otome though. was that any good? Should I track it down?

jman2050

I'm the wrong person to ask because Mai Otome is a horrible trainwreck mess that I ended up liking anyway because I have no self-respect. It's like Code Geass before Sunrise actually sat down and made Code Geass, except with 80% less fabulousness and 50% more bitter self-loathing.

cajunator

Banned
I'm the wrong person to ask because Mai Otome is a horrible trainwreck mess that I ended up liking anyway because I have no self-respect. It's like Code Geass before Sunrise actually sat down and made Code Geass, except with 80% less fabulousness and 50% more bitter self-loathing.

Sounds like I was right to skip it.
Unfortunately I cannot say the same about Kiddy Girl And. If any of you want a good sci fi hatewatch, watch Kiddy girl And.
Kiddy Grade, however, is really fun and entertaining. I do recommend watching that.

These are worth watching just for the ED. Cutest thing in a while.

It kind of reminds me of the asspull at the end of Kiddy Grade, except that show's ending was a lot more entertaining.
Also, under no circumstances should you EVER watch Kiddy Girl And. Just don't. The show is as stupid as the name.

If you enjoyed Nanoha, My Otome is quite similar in theme.

Cute girls magic girling it up and fight gundam style.

jkh13

Neo Member
Anyone here can help a fellow gaffer out?

I want to get the signboard and poster that comes with the Madoka Magica showing in LA but I leave the US before the showings start. If someone wants to watch any of the Monday-Thursday showings for free in exchange for sending me the gifts private message me and we can talk. I will cover the cost of the ticket + the cost of the postage.

http://www.madokamagicausa.com/movie.php#merch-links

Branduil

Crazy Girl Chuunibyou 2

This was better than the first episode, as the show seems to be settling into an odd-couple setup. The two leads display a decent comedic chemistry together, which others notice, to Yuuta's chagrin. As long as they can maintain that the show will certainly be watchable, especially with KyoAni's typical polish applied.

ivjveZGo7AND1.jpg

What's the deal with parents who work overseas in anime? I mean Jakarta, really?

I can't say much for the two generic moeblobs introduced in this episode, who seem to have no personality beyond bubbliness, but since they only served as comedic foils for Yuuta, their presence was not offensive. Rikka's sister has much more potential(how did she
get a recording of him from two years ago?
), and the episode climaxes with KyoAni showing off what we all came for:

ibyZ0Aw7Up2kBH.gif

8 MB version

ibthH3rVvzawXZ.gif

8 MB version

Maybe someday they can make another show where the action is "real."

Soma

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 02

i4uKUIvxtnR5i.png

That was a lot of fun. I finding this show a lot more enjoyable than I expected it would be. It's all very light-hearted and charming and I definitely had some laughs through out the episode. I know how a lot of "main" girls are usually delegated to being the worst girls in their respective series but I really like Rikka's character so far. She's not as annoying as I thought she would be judging by the PVs and character art before the show aired and she's also not completely boring with a dull personality. The chemistry between her and Yuuta works very well and I can't get enough of the abuse she gets from him.

The "fight" scene was great and I'm looking forward to more scenes like that in the future.

Articalys

Apparently there's some random Type-Moon Blu ray coming out and this is the intro or something. Meh... w/e. The shot of the four girls in dresses look cute though. Other than that.... meh...

http://www.typemoonfes.com/news/index.html#n025
It's a BD of the events at their 10th anniversary festival, I believe. Concerts, voice actor speeches, stuff like that.

Also, that video probably contains potential spoilers for all of their works, so people should be forewarned.

Articalys

Okay, some more details on that Type-Moon thing kayos90 posted a bit ago:
The official website for the "Type-Moon Fes. -10th Anniversary Event-" announced on Wednesday that Aniplex will release a Blu-ray Disc Box of the event with about 26 minutes of new Carnival Phantasm footage as a bonus. The Carnival Phantasm anime adapts an anthology of Type-Moon manga short stories by Kannagi creator Eri Takenashi to celebrate the game studio's 10th anniversary.

The box will include footage from both days of the July 7-8 event, including the musical artists' live performances and the videos that were screened there. The performances include the Yuki Kajiura Live concert; the stage events for Fate/Zero, Carnival Phantasm, and Hibichika Radio; live performances by several musical artists; and the encore performances that ended the event.

Type-Moon is creating an exclusive illustration for the box art, and the box will contain a 36-page booklet, the new Carnival Phantasm footage, the promotional video that announced the Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin anime film epilogue, the "Next Type-Moon Contents Trailer," and an original drama CD supervised by Kinoko Nasu.
MORE CARNIVAL PHANTASM
PLEASE BE FATE/ZERO-RELATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom