• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Akane is Christian Bale.

There goes all the plot twists for PP I guess.

That's not how this is going to go. That would have been far more likely if Akane accepted the system as it was in episode 1 (as Christian Bale did in Equilibrium). Also, the opening segment, where Shinya fights a man in a helmet which suppresses his Psycho-Pass (disabling the Dominator) suggests that the threats in this show are against how the system functions, not on its philosophical foundations. Characters might take issue with how just it is, but I suspect that in the finale, the status quo will be preserved.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the possibility that Akane acting as she did was the system working as designed. It's more complex than "shoot all things that move with Psycho-Pass over 120".

ibyG71ByuUhpz5.png

Of course, you can just do everything the gun says. But if that were the case, what would be the point of Inspectors? You could just let the Enforcers lose, they'd shoot everyone the gun would let them shoot, and that'd be that. Or why would Enforcers be allowed to exist, if everyone over the coefficient was meant to be put in custody?

The truth is, the gun doesn't have final say over who gets shot or not. It's the Inspectors that are supposed to make that call. If someone's giving a positive reading that shouldn't (like, for example, a victim who's caught up in a Psycho Hazard), Inspectors are supposed to try to dial things down and keep an innocent from winding up dead. Which is exactly what Akane did when
she shot Shinya
. That's why she's the one responsible for the actions of the Enforcers, not them.

She should have allowed the woman to get hit non-lethally earlier, but that's just her inexperience. She'll have to write a report about it, but that doesn't necessarily imply disciplinary action. All of this confusion should be cleared up in Episode 2, unless I'm entirely off-base.

If you think of it like the fox hunt analogy that's obviously at work here, the hounds corner their quarry, but it's the hunter who holds ultimate power over the lives over the prey.

Anyone else feel the gun in PP is a little too crazy? The design is a little too over the top IMO.

It's more over the top than necessary, but that's how they're letting us know about all the SCIENCE at work in making a mind-reading gun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hi Anime people. Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been out of the anime game for a while. As somebody who enjoys a bit of action or anything particularly well done I'm currently looking to keep an eye on:

* Sword Art Online
* Psycho Pass
* Robotics;Notes
* From the New World

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Chuunibyo.

I've been out of the anime game for a while but have caught up with my backlog. Ergo Proxy is the biggest load of garbage I have ever seen.

Anyway, as somebody who enjoys a bit of action or anything particularly well done I'm currently looking to keep an eye on:

* Sword Art Online
* Psycho Pass
* Robotics;Notes
* From the New World

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

wonzo

Banned

I've been out of the anime game for a while. As somebody who enjoys a bit of action or anything particularly well done I'm currently looking to keep an eye on:

* Sword Art Online
* Psycho Pass
* Robotics;Notes
* From the New World

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Medaka Box: Abnormal
Magi
Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! aka Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That's not how this is going to go. That would have been far more likely if Akane accepted the system was it was in episode 1 (as Christian Bale did in Equilibrium). Also, the opening segment, where Shinya fights a man in a helmet which suppresses his Psycho-Pass (disabling the Dominator) suggests that the threats in this show are against how the system functions, not on its philosophical foundations. Characters might take issue with how just it is, but I suspect that in the finale, the status quo will be preserved.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the possibility that Akane acting as she did was the system working as designed. It's more complex than "shoot all things that move with Psycho-Pass over 120".
Very interesting way to look at it. I'm a little more excited for next week's episode now, I really need to see which way this show goes.

I've been out of the anime game for a while but have caught up with my backlog. Ergo Proxy is the biggest load of garbage I have ever seen.

Anyway, as somebody who enjoys a bit of action or anything particularly well done I'm currently looking to keep an eye on:

* Sword Art Online
* Psycho Pass
* Robotics;Notes
* From the New World

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date!

Erigu

Psycho-Pass 01
When does Akane dies?
I was so disappointed when they didn't shoot her for being "contaminated", at the end of the first episode.

First episode that didn't work for me at all, incidentally. I think it can get better, and hopefully it will, but fuck, that was some awful exposition, and I simply couldn't believe what was happening on-screen.
Didn't like the BGM, characters and character design either.
Ah, well.

Uchip

Banned
I was so disappointed when they didn't shoot her for being "contaminated", at the end of the first episode.

First episode that didn't work for me at all, incidentally. I think it can get better, and hopefully it will, but fuck, that was some awful exposition, and I simply couldn't believe what was happening on-screen.
Didn't like the BGM, characters and character design either.
Ah, well.

seriously? that was objectively better than anything else this season

Erigu

I really didn't like what they did with the opening and ending. Took me out of the show a few seconds in. Wow.
And then, there was this disconnect between the action-y BGM and the least exciting "chase" ever. "Oh, wow, there he is. That's convenient. Will they catch up to him? I mean, he's walking. He could get away."

Thanks, they all look like something I would enjoy.

I declare this forum...useful.

Code:Breaker?

If you can deal with an absolutely hate-able main character, go for it. I've recently dropped (or put on hold) the manga in disgust, but others might have a higher tolerance for that stuff when alright fight scenes are involved.

If you can deal with an absolutely hate-able main character, go for it. I've recently dropped (or put on hold) the manga in disgust, but others might have a higher tolerance for that stuff when alright fight scenes are involved.

In what way hate-able? As in does bad things anti-hero Thomas Covenant sort or way or a hate-able total prick for the entire game/series/anime Luke from Tales of the Abyss kind of way?

In what way hate-able? As in does bad things anti-hero Thomas Covenant sort or way or a hate-able total prick for the entire game/series/anime Luke from Tales of the Abyss kind of way?

The former, but a sense of morality is introduced early and the guy is portrayed as redeemable when he just continues to do worse and worse things. It's just aggravating. If it wasn't for the way people are portrayed, it would be perfectly fine imo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Btooom! 2

Interesting that they skipped all the way to chapter 32 to cover Himiko's back story. That may or may not mess up some of her development.

Anyway, they really butchered a few scenes here. Both
rape
scenes weren't only censored, they were stupid. First of all,
the friends getting raped was just implied instead of explicitly shown. That's cool and all since there are TV standards to be upheld, but they could have at least portray it without looking stupid. Glasses ho got dragged into a dark room while clawing against the floorboards. That's horror movie shit, not rape scene shit! In the manga, she had hands on a clear glass door crying while being raped. It was effective and more importantly, was straightforward. What's happening here is just confusing.

As for the
Himiko "rape scene,
I don't even know what to say to that atrocity.
Fat dude was friggin motorboating her. That's not horrifying, that's funny.
It was just ridiculous all around.

Oh well, next few weeks should be better. Though I am worried about censorship here. Would be a shame to not
see the 14 year old rape the dead woman that he killed.
At least black stuff out or something. The kid won't be half as menacing without that scene.
What the fuck? I didn't watch it at all but from the synopsis it seemed to be a sort of generic children's shounen.
I guess it's more like Battle Royale? Is it tasteful enough or is it just trying to be shocking?

cajunator

Banned
Medaka Box 9

Awesome, this episode had some pretty nice animation! It doesn't really make up for how... cheap these past 8 episodes felt at times but I'll take what I can get. It's kinda underwhelming that they didn't show any of the
gravely wounded students in the shot of the music room and kinda hid the dude's broken arm.
I wonder if they changed any of that stuff for the home release.

iybv9oehNYnjk.gif

I must say it's pretty interesting watching Shiranui's relentless trolling given the latest developments in the manga.

Its always fun to watch Shiranui troll. She is by far the best character.
I wish there was a figurine of her so she could troll my room.

God willing.

This revelation is so thoroughly profound that my mind could be said to be (figuratively) exploding from shock.

Well its not THAT surprising.

Psycho-Pass 01

When does Akane dies? That's all that matters for me.

The system is flawed. That's the point of the series, I think.

Don't utter such filth!
She probably will though. thats the kind of thing Butch Gen would do.

Hey Chet, you're back!

Ag0O0.jpg

Stupid internet and it's euphemisms. Juicy Fruit song ruined forever!

Take a sniff.
Pull it out.
The taste is going to move you when you pop it in your mouth.

...gross. :(

Actually, this goes "take a stick, pull it out, the taste is gonna move you when you pop it in your mouth"...which come to think of it, isnt any better lol.

From urbandictionary:

---fellatio
The beautiful art of cock sucking in which one lovingly places the penis of one's partner into one's mouth and caresses it with the tongue and tonsils while at the same time sucking ever so gently and moving one's head back and forth massaging the head of the penis.

If fellatio is performed properly, one's partner will ejaculate, at which time you should swallow his generous deposit, though amateurs often expel the semen from their mouths.

Fellatio should be practiced frequently, for every art and skill should be honored and perfected.

After Alex's date with Tom at the movies and the really expensive new restaurant, she thanked him by performing fellatio on him in his car. Tom welcomed her by cumming in her mouth, and promising another date next week.

Its such a classy and eloquent word, like "colloquialism"

I don't think GAF has shipped me for months ;~;

Nobody ships me. They are probably scared of the result.

My body is ready

I hate the dvd/blu combo shit, but whatever

Oh HELL YES.

You haven't watched it yet? Oh boy. Can't wait to see this. The uncut gore is something to behold for sure. It's almost too much at times.

Its probably not that bad. Well at least animated gore never grossed me out. Its...you know, animated.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Haiyore! Nyarko-san 4-5

Oh please don't let this become a creepy harem anime. Oh, Hasuta's
a boy
? Good, that means it won't... *starts Ep. 5* ...well fuck.

Pooya

Psycho Pass - 1 part2

I like logos

Sibyl (Civil) system is the organization that controls the whole PP system and The Denominator guns.
It's their tower in the beginning of the episode, so of course things will go against the system, and that ninja dude is probably what a Sybil soldier looks like
It's logo looks like a pair of lungs to me, any other ideas ? It's also a "Registered" trademark lol, meaning it's a private company, so of course the government has just contracted all of this to them, what can go wrong? ...

BluWacky

It's logo looks like a pair of lungs to me, any other ideas ?

I rather thought they were the cerebral hemispheres. It seems clear from the show's treatment of Akane in particular that one of the major themes of the show will be emotion vs. reason, which popular science dictates is governed by the dominance of one or other of the hemispheres.

Presumably the Sibyl System is supposed to balance these out when analysing a person's criminality co-efficient.

Sibyl (Civil) system is the organization that controls the whole PP system and The Denominator guns.

It's definitely Sibyl - the Sibyl was an oracular priestess in Greek culture.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days 11

uy3Kl.jpg

Question: Why is he even doing that to the girl on the left?
Answer: Because he's a bastard.

Oh now I understand. Now I know the reason for all your laughter. This show really does not know when it has stepped over the line. Second to last episode they just went "oh yeah there are some other females in the show so why not?"

I have a feeling we are meant to associate with the "best" girl. At the beginning it's all fun and games and by the end we're cast aside while the show continues in a direction we don't want it to and when we thought the worst of it was over, they twist the knife even more. Seriously, what a bastardly thing to say.

So thank God there was some repercussions at last. I always thought the M.C. was a prime candidate for whatever the Japanese equivalent of the Jeremy Kyle show is so I'm glad the storyline has gone in a direction that reflects that. He's even started practising what he should say.

To see him made an outcast and rejected by all. It actually made me cheer out loud it felt so good. Everything he "loved" dearly stripped away from him.

The worst thing is I'm meeting a friend later and I know this show will be at the back of my mind. Well only one episode to go. Lets hope it really is a bad end for all because t=out of the regular faces there literally is no one left to like.
The yandere hour approaches.

Pooya

I rather thought they were the cerebral hemispheres. It seems clear from the show's treatment of Akane in particular that one of the major themes of the show will be emotion vs. reason, which popular science dictates is governed by the dominance of one or other of the hemispheres.

Presumably the Sibyl System is supposed to balance these out when analysing a person's criminality co-efficient.

now that you said it it seems very obvious :eek: makes sense.

It's definitely Sibyl - the Sibyl was an oracular priestess in Greek culture.

Right I thought of that, but the Japanese pronounce vi as bi, so Civil sounds like Sibyl, I think it's a play on the word as well.

School Days 11

Oh now I understand. Now I know the reason for all your laughter. This show really does not know when it has stepped over the line. Second to last episode they just went "oh yeah there are some other females in the show so why not?"

I have a feeling we are meant to associate with the "best" girl. At the beginning it's all fun and games and by the end we're cast aside while the show continues in a direction we don't want it to and when we thought the worst of it was over, they twist the knife even more. Seriously, what a bastardly thing to say.

So thank God there was some repercussions at last. I always thought the M.C. was a prime candidate for whatever the Japanese equivalent of the Jeremy Kyle show is so I'm glad the storyline has gone in a direction that reflects that. He's even started practising what he should say.

To see him made an outcast and rejected by all. It actually made me cheer out loud it felt so good. Everything he "loved" dearly stripped away from him.

The worst thing is I'm meeting a friend later and I know this show will be at the back of my mind. Well only one episode to go. Lets hope it really is a bad end for all because t=out of the regular faces there literally is no one left to like.
The yandere hour approaches.
Makoto just wants a Harem End. What's wrong with that?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hiiro no Kakera S2 01-02

Just in case any of you were wondering if S2 was any better than S1, save yourselves the time because its not! Not sure why I wanted to watch this. Maybe I enjoy suffering. Maybe I just want to know which dude she picks in the end. Maybe I keep wondering if it'll ever get interesting, curious to see as a show can continue to get progressively more and more awful.

The first episode of the second season was atrocious. It's your standard recap variety episode that a new season gets only the recap from the new scenes is nigh indistinguishable at times. Maybe its because I've forgotten anything that happened in the first season but I'd have to imagine this is just impossible to jump into without seeing S1 as you have no idea whats a flashback and whats actually going on right now at any point in this episode, they make almost no effort at trying to not confuse the viewers here. Its truly an awful episode but I'm willing to cut it some slack because hey its the first episode of a new season.

The second of episode is somehow even worse. They've spent a fair amount of time going back to last season, but hey you wouldn't have a clue what was going on from last weeks recap episode, with Shinji and his conversations he's been having with the enemy. Well I guess it finally comes full throttle this episode with an explanation as to why (but still no explanation as to why he won't kiss poor Mitsuru, poor girl) but they manage to top the stupidity with another guy doing the
betrayalton
in an episode that was devoted to somebody else doing the same thing. What exactly was the damn point of that? What exactly is the damn point of this series? Why am I watching this? This is legitimately one of the worst shows I've ever watched and the second season is aiming to outdo the first. I mean there isn't even an iota of ironic enjoyment that people tend to have with bad shows in here like Blood-C, Arjuna, Glass Fleet, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom