• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2

speedx0och.png

So many stills (some work, others really don't), animation for the action was weak and some more undesirable use of color.
Yet, this was still quite entertaining to watch.

I hope this becomes only more amusing from here on out.

Sounds like Shinichiro Watanabe (the Bebop guy, for those of you who don't keep track) is back to stay, at least for now. He was interviewed at a convention in Grenada, where he apparently revealed his next two TV projects:

- In 2013, he'll be directing a comedy at BONES with a "special theme".

- In 2014, he'll be directing a more serious work at Mappa.

Can't wait! This reminds me I still have to watch his latest anime.

Narag

Poyopoyo 40

They're going a little crazy with the poyo-themed food. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to eat any of it. :(

Narag

CR app seems fairly stable for me this time around so here's hoping despite the crash report earlier in the thread. I can finally watch Time Jam!

cajunator

Banned
Sounds like Shinichiro Watanabe (the Bebop guy, for those of you who don't keep track) is back to stay, at least for now. He was interviewed at a convention in Grenada, where he apparently revealed his next two TV projects:

This should be fun. at least watching Duckhype 2013 in action.

School Days 12

Yes! The show delivered the ending I wanted (well not as twisted but hey beggars can't be choosers). I can see why people were unsure if I was lying about having seen this show because scarily my prediction were very close to the mark but honest to God this was my first time. I will admit I actually cheered out loud.

Makoto has proven that even the most forgiving soul (and these people are so forgiving they give Jesus a run for his money) will eventually get fed up if you keep being a bastard. I don't think he ever truly felt he was in the wrong. I'd go as far as to say he felt it was everyone else's fault. "Urgh, why did she have to fall in love with me? Urgh, why did she have to get pregnant? Urgn, why did she have to find out about me cheating on her? Urgh, why do girls have to get upset about everything?" Wouldn't be surprised if his final thoughts were "Why?"

Oh and I did enjoy the fact he was
gloriously stabbed to death
while the tea was brewing Don't think I forgot about your tea spilling ways Mr. Dick.

Overall thoughts

For a show that is only 12 episodes long there's a lot of filler. Most of the episodes really didn't need to happen and only served to make you hate the MC more and more. Of course that makes the ending all the more sweeter. There was really no point in most of the other character to the point the show seemed to forget they even existed in the last few episodes. What happened with best bud and the girl who fancied him? They completely butchered that story for no reason. The affair is never discovered, no tension is caused by it and in the end it goes nowhere. The same can be said about almost all the sub[standard]plots. Like I said, they're only there to infuriate. I'm guessing there's a high chance they wrote most of the story as they went along.

Nothing else can really be said. That's all there is to it. The M.C. is one of the most unsympathetic characters I've ever seen. 12 episodes of taking a character and making the audience hate him and most of the cast. The fact it delivered in the final moments means I can't hate the show fully, but few positive moments does not make up for the absolute hodgepodge that is School Days.

Total tripe. See me after class. Worthy of at least a month's worth of Saturday detentions.

As a little bonus:
Final character rankings

Please not that after a point they all end up being as bad as one another so the order almost doesn't matter.

• The little sister: Clearly the best character. Did nothing wrong. Always there for her older sister. Only wanted love to bloom. A role model for society.
  • Head of the Basketball society: Unlike most people her contribution to the plot actually moved the show forward. In so little screentime she did so much. Other characters should take note.
  • Japanese Simon Pegg: Can't go wrong with someone who is a fan of British films.
  • The "Girlfriend": See at the beginning she was just just a boring character which is why I initially went with "best" girl. But other than that she didn't really do anything bad. The world was against her but she took it on the chin. Her biggest sin for the most part was being boring. You could say she was the only one who improved as the show went on.
  • Best bud: You can't blame him for being oblivious to a one sided love. I do give him negative points for taking advantage of a distraught girl, but after that he is crushed and then never seen again. Injustice.
  • Friend of little sister: More pointless than the black haired basketball girl. Only difference is she wasn't a dick to the "girlfriend".
  • The background characters: You did an awesome job of being in the background.
  • Black haired basketball girl: And she was needed because? Likes to smell of trouser flies.
  • "Best" girl: Moved up thanks to her final actions. The reason why you should never judge a book by its cover. Obviously became infected by the M.C.'s egotistical ways after a while since she started to only think of herself. Empty on the inside.
    [*]Friend of "best" girl: Angry eyebrows all day everyday. Only reason she isn't lower is because she has some sort of reason for doing what she was doing, but the way see handled things was terrible. I didn't feel bad for her.
  • One sided lover: Wow she fell hard. One episode she went from being a favourable character to a detestable one. Yeah, a guy didn't notice you liked him because you never said anything to him directly. Doesn't mean you cheat on your friend for no reason whatsoever.
  • The gang of nasty girls: I lump them together because individually they have no characteristics apart from being nasty.
  • Middle School friend: Leader of the nasty girls. I don't care if you like the M.C., it doesn't give you an excuse to be as rude as you were.
  • M.C. Dick: Got his just deserts. A waste of animation cels.

ibnJ6tJ4S61p2X.gif

I cannot find a gif clapping hard enough for this.

2nd OP:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAAdQPt4mWM

Not as good as the first on either music or animation level. Also good fucking god are the designs for the new arc, bad.

Elves are usually fairly decent characters. The world looks slightly more interesting this time and imouto is cute. I will continue to hatewatch this I guess. I don't know why.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Medaka Box Abnormal 01
I've really forgotten what was going on with this series, but this was decently enjoyable. The writing is tragically bad though. Like, the show would be considerably better if whoever was writing this was more competent. Dialogue needs to step it up. Things were interesting to me though, more interesting than I remember Medaka Box being.

Narag

Sword Art Online 15

Liked this one as it looks to have worked well as a bridge between the two games themselves. Kirito's sister is pretty neat so far and we're not worthy of a second Koyasu voiced bastard this season either. More importantly, it was nice to see Kirito was sufficiently traumatized by the SAO event that he's having issues reacclimating himself to the real world. I once wondered why he'd ever put on a nervgear helmet again and even without the impetus presented at the end, I think he'd do the same just to get his fix.

Metrotab

Banned
Finished the first season of Full Metal Panic and I'm giving it a decent 8/10 (Gundam 00 and TTGL both got a 7). As for the finale,
kinda funny how it ended up being a chokehold, very different from the bullet hells in other mecha. Don't really understand the "magic" with Dana still, they didn't really explain the background behind the Whispered or whatever.

One think I found a bit quirky about FMP was the animation quality, the fights didn't feel very smooth and character design was a bit weird at times. Never really got used to it.
Like I said before, the variation between comedy and military action made the show very interesting to watch, although it was a bit weird how they suddenly went from dramatic battlegrounds to silly highschool stuff.
Like after that mission in Hadjistan.

The soundtrack was pretty damn amazing, from the very first episode I was already impressed. It definitely added to the entertainment value. Looking around on the internet, nobody really waxes lyrical about it, which I find a bit weird because it was the first real thought I had when watching episode 1 "Goddamn this music is great". So maybe it's just me?

Next up for me is the second season from Gundam 00. Despite the somewhat dry presentation, that show had an interesting political universe and I'm up for more of it.
I'm wondering if they're gonna change the team because half of them died last time, in a surprising development to me.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 15

Liked this one as it looks to have worked well as a bridge between the two games themselves. Kirito's sister is pretty neat so far and we're not worthy of a second Koyasu voiced bastard this season either. More importantly, it was nice to see Kirito was sufficiently traumatized by the SAO event that he's having issues reacclimating himself to the real world. I once wondered why he'd ever put on a nervgear helmet again and even without the impetus presented at the end, I think he'd do the same just to get his fix.

At least the show is bothering to explain the part I was complaining about from the start, and that gives it another chance.

yami4ct

So torn. BONES gave us Eureka Seven AO, which is one of the biggest atrocities in animation, but Watanabe may be my favorite show creator on the planet.

cajunator

Banned
I kind of REALLY want to watch Steins;Gate and FYE has it for 20 bucks more than Rightstuf online. Don't really feel like waiting. Curse my impatience :(

Narag

I kind of REALLY want to watch Steins;Gate and FYE has it for 20 bucks more than Rightstuf online. Don't really feel like waiting. Curse my impatience :(

Nothing wrong with paying a little more if you want to get right at it.

Unless it's more expensive than next day delivery!

Finished the first season of Full Metal Panic and I'm giving it a decent 8/10 (Gundam 00 and TTGL both got a 7). As for the finale,
kinda funny how it ended up being a chokehold, very different from the bullet hells in other mecha. Don't really understand the "magic" with Dana still, they didn't really explain the background behind the Whispered or whatever.

The Whispered are magic children; that's all you really need to know.

One think I found a bit quirky about FMP was the animation quality, the fights didn't feel very smooth and character design was a bit weird at times. Never really got used to it.

That's Gonzo "quality" for you. The second two seasons, produced by KyoAni instead, are much better in that regard.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Art Online 15
Why isn't this a show about having the hots for your sister?

Narag

I think I like the PS3 app's interface better than the standard CR pages. Never really appreciated how many older shows were up on there too. I could get my FotNS on.
ICMqx.gif

trejo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2

So I'm guessing most of the show's budget went into that badass OP.

Still very cheap-looking. Still entertaining as hell.

http://www.deculture.es/2012/10/13/shinichiro-watanabe-nuevos-anime/

Watanabe's 2013 comedy series at BONES will be about "space travel".

According to the site, he says that from now on he hopes to work on a series every year, so yeah it sounds like he's back to being more active in the industry.

This is most excellent news.

cjkeats

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! ep 2
#TEAMCAT
Rikka abuse is gonna be a thing isn't it?

Oniichan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne ep 1
Everything I had hoped it would be. Bro-congirl, eyepatchgirl, plaingirl, stoic and creepy girl. Dudes got himself one hell of a varied harem.
I'm pretty sure at one point she was trying to reveal that she's not his biological sister, if so, I guess that makes her not entirely insane?

Toradora! ep 5-15
Still loving all of this. The whole dad arc kinda just happened huh? Everythings back like it never happened. Then again, what I like about this show is the comedy, not the daddy issues.
2exgw.jpg

The mom is the second best girl

Dresden

That would have given the whole Silica/Kirito "You remind me of my sister." angle a new dynamic.

Silica looks nothing like his sister anyways, what a creep.

Oniichan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne ep 1
Everything I had hoped it would be. Bro-congirl, eyepatchgirl, plaingirl, stoic and creepy girl. Dudes got himself one hell of a varied harem.
I'm pretty sure at one point she was trying to reveal that she's not his biological sister, if so, I guess that makes her not entirely insane?

As is usual for shows catering to incest fetishists,
she's adopted.

/XX/

-doesn't like JoJo
-watches SAO
smh. am disappoint.
I can't answer for him, but there is not liking JoJo's Bizarre Adventure... and not liking GONZO'd david production'd two-arcs-only-for-the-moment-adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, that it is a very different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom