• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

It could very well be the reason she acts like that. Brain trauma is a serious thing.

I enjoy her interactions with Yuuta, but I'll be pissed if she ends the show, having not curbed her tendencies. Or at the very least, Yuuta should be allowed his freedom.

Knock on wood.

7Th

-doesn't like JoJo
-watches SAO
smh. am disappoint.

I seriously respect the stomach of anyone able to watch this and not throw up:

IIEuv.jpg

Ugliest backgrounds of all time.

Sword Art Online 15

Following the rather enjoyable climax to the last arc, we're now introduced to the elements that compose the Fairy Dance arc with a slow, thoroughly uninteresting opening episode. It was obviously necessary in order to establish a bridge between SAO and ALO, while also introducing new, recurring characters, but the execution was severely lacking in nearly every area, as it never brought these elements together in an engaging, focused manner.

Both of the introduced characters are wholly uninteresting. Sugou's characterization is laughably absurd, and, unfortunately, he'll only become considerably more ridiculous as the story continues. He's definitely an awful "antagonist" compared to Heathcliff. Suguha isn't much better, though much less offensive in her stupidity. She's yet another standard imouto, fulfilling her role as the worst girl by far and an all-around terrible character, who's sole purpose is to be largely inept and conveniently "non-related".

As for the positives, I liked the realistic touch of focusing on the struggles Kirito found himself in due to his emergence into the real world after a two-year absence. The production values remain inconsistent, but occasionally impressive. The "action" was somewhat decent, but largely poor due to the plethora of still shots that continue to riddle these brief interludes. The music contained several new themes that are pretty good, though still disappointing compared to Kajiura's usual standard. The OP was average, but unspectacular, and a bit underwhelming following the previous one. The ED's musical selection is excellent, but it was visually bland, since, once again, there was a lack of animation.

I've always found the Fairy Dance arc to be a weak, thoroughly flawed follow-up to SAO, as the material is comparatively dull and monotonous, filled with annoying "characters" and a contrived, repetitive narrative. Still, I remained a bit hopeful that these flaws would be somewhat diminished, but the first episode does absolutely nothing to ease my concerns over how awful this is going to be. The
"damsel-in-distress"
scenario is a tired, contrived plot device that serves to only cheapen the characters, particularly
Asuna
, and, most grievously, it stalls any sort of meaningful development from occurring. I'd like to say it will get better following this introductory episode, but it really, really won't, unfortunately. The nice setting is a slightly redeeming factor, but it doesn't come close to compensating for the atrocious writing. At least I can look forward to
"Suguha's tears"
and the fantastic ending. Everything else, for the most part, is garbage.

BluWacky

Just talking about their origins here, man (http://aninomiyako.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/anime-industry-overview.png)... but everyone can also draw their own conclusions given what they've done.

I haven't looked at that chart for a long time, but it explains an awful lot about K AND JoJo that they're both animated by Gonzo offshoot studios...

I happen to tolerate JoJo's terrible production values because I still find it entertaining to watch, but it's partly entertaining because it looks bad. Not in a "hate watch" way, but it sort of adds to the ridiculous storyline in a way.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 15

Following the rather enjoyable climax to the last arc, we're now introduced to the elements that compose the Fairy Dance arc with a slow, thoroughly uninteresting opening episode. It was obviously necessary in order to establish a bridge between SAO and ALO, while also introducing new, recurring characters, but the execution was severely lacking in nearly every area, as it never brought these elements together in an engaging, focused manner.

Both of the introduced characters are wholly uninteresting. Sugou's characterization is laughably absurd, and, unfortunately, he'll only become considerably more ridiculous as the story continues. He's definitely an awful "antagonist" compared to Heathcliff. Suguha isn't much better, though much less offensive in her stupidity. She's yet another standard imouto, fulfilling her role as the worst girl by far and an all-around terrible character, who's sole purpose is to be largely inept and conveniently "non-related".

As for the positives, I liked the realistic touch of focusing on the struggles Kirito found himself in due to his emergence into the real world after a two-year absence. The production values remain inconsistent, but occasionally impressive. The "action" was somewhat decent, but largely poor due to the plethora of still shots that continue to riddle these brief interludes. The music contained several new themes that are pretty good, though still disappointing compared to Kajiura's usual standard. The OP was average, but unspectacular, and a bit underwhelming following the previous one. The ED's musical selection is excellent, but it was visually bland, since, once again, there was a lack of animation.

I've always found the Fairy Dance arc to be a weak, thoroughly flawed follow-up to SAO, as the material is comparatively dull and monotonous, filled with annoying "characters" and a contrived, repetitive narrative. Still, I remained a bit hopeful that these flaws would be somewhat diminished, but the first episode does absolutely nothing to ease my concerns over how awful this is going to be. The
"damsel-in-distress"
scenario is a tired, contrived plot device that serves to only cheapen the characters, particularly
Asuna
, and, most grievously, it stalls any sort of meaningful development from occurring. I'd like to say it will get better following this introductory episode, but it really, really won't, unfortunately. The nice setting is a slightly redeeming factor, but it doesn't come close to compensating for the atrocious writing. At least I can look forward to
"Suguha's tears"
and the fantastic ending. Everything else, for the most part, is garbage.

I disagree with your last paragraph entirely. Aincrad is waaaaay more littered with problems than Fairy Dance. While whether one likes FD is completely dependent on the person, it's a much better arc because it's more coherent, the cast this time stays consistent and interesting for the most part, and the journey is packed since there's a time limit. That's just me though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I guess it's to the credit of the original material that JoJo can be hella ugly at times and still be a blast. I made my peace with the color palette this episode even though I still don't like it, but the CG in the show looks like something out of a cheap VN. I'm glad that I notice it less in motion.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I guess it's to the credit of the original material that JoJo can be hella ugly at times and still be a blast. I made my peace with the color palette this episode even though I still don't like it, but the CG in the show looks like something out of a cheap VN. I'm glad that I notice it less in motion.
What happened to your avatar?

I haven't looked at that chart for a long time, but it explains an awful lot about K AND JoJo that they're both animated by Gonzo offshoot studios...

Er, I haven't done independent research but from that chart it looks like GoHands, the K studio, is an offshoot of Satelight. Not that they have a much better reputation for production values than Gonzo.

I happen to tolerate JoJo's terrible production values because I still find it entertaining to watch, but it's partly entertaining because it looks bad. Not in a "hate watch" way, but it sort of adds to the ridiculous storyline in a way.

My personal opinion is that, while the Jojo visuals are undeniably rough, there's enough raw passion behind them and the production as a whole - things like the manga sound effects - that it mostly works. It's probably unfair to judge based on a 16-minute visuals-only clip, but the Phantom Blood movie, while having much more polished production values, also looks more bland and boring for the material.

BluWacky

Er, I haven't done independent research but from that chart it looks like GoHands, the K studio, is an offshoot of Satelight. Not that they have a much better reputation for production values than Gonzo.

My mistake - I mixed up Hoods and GoHands. Thanks for picking up on that -_-

My personal opinion is that, while the Jojo visuals are undeniably rough, there's enough raw passion behind them and the production as a whole - things like the manga sound effects - that it mostly works. It's probably unfair to judge based on a 16-minute visuals-only clip, but the Phantom Blood movie, while having much more polished production values, also looks more bland and boring for the material.

Absolutely. While the character designs are odd and the animation rather limited (not to mention the backgrounds), the stylistic touches (the colouring springs particularly to mind) really enliven it much more than the Phantom Blood movie clip - you can directly compare the opening of the series with the relevant section of the Phantom Blood movie and they're worlds apart.

I disagree with your last paragraph entirely. Aincrad is waaaaay more littered with problems than Fairy Dance. While whether one likes FD is completely dependent on the person, it's a much better arc because it's more coherent, the cast this time stays consistent and interesting for the most part, and the journey is packed since there's a time limit. That's just me though.

The pacing for Fairy Dance as a whole is definitely better than Aincrad's, which suffered from too many distractions. That's really the only area in which Fairy Dance surpasses SAO; every other aspect, particularly the narrative and the characters, is much worse. The entire scenario feels completely tacked-on and unnecessary to me.

kayos90

The pacing for Fairy Dance as a whole is definitely better than Aincrad's, which suffered from too many distractions. That's really the only area in which Fairy Dance surpasses SAO; every other aspect, particularly the narrative and the characters, is much worse. The entire scenario feels completely tacked-on and unnecessary to me.

The scope of Aincrad is much smaller and as a result the narrative plummets imo. You don't let each situation sink in and the focus becomes solely and only on clearing the game. Here while the focus is still
saving Asuna
the journey getting there is much more interesting. It has an adventure-esque feel, the characters who accompany Kirito are interesting, and while the drama might not be needed, isn't entirely too bad. FD is almost everything that Aincrad wanted to be imo. A narrative that really has interesting aspects from beginning to end, a multi-faceted journey, interesting characters that don't disappear once they show up, a world that's lush and beautiful, and pacing that is spot on. If anything I hate about FD it's Yui. That's it.

Suguha and Sugou.

They couldn't have picked a more confusing name.

And that's why I'll call him Noumi 2.0

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sounds like Shinichiro Watanabe (the Bebop guy, for those of you who don't keep track) is back to stay, at least for now. He was interviewed at a convention in Grenada, where he apparently revealed his next two TV projects:

- In 2013, he'll be directing a comedy at BONES with a "special theme".

- In 2014, he'll be directing a more serious work at Mappa.

This is certainly awesome news to wake up too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon SuperS 128:

PI402l.jpg

Tigereye-sama steaky~

Hito finally managed to twist my arm.

The first episode of the dreaded fourth season of Sailor Moon isn't so bad. It's also entirely possible that this was because it was a standard introductory episode setting up villains and concepts.

I actually kind of like the Black Moon Circus or whatever it's called. The "city of dogs and monkeys" speech that the members of the organization gave upon their introduction was surprisingly biting, and it's oddly nice to have villains that are refreshingly specific in their misanthropy rather than being generic RETURN EVERYTHING TO DARKNESS nihilists. Amazon Trio is *~FABULOUS~*.

So, it's looking suspiciously like Usagi and Chibiusa are going to do everything as a duo based on the way that some of the stock transformations and attacks were animated. I mean, I finally managed to be okay with Chibiusa's presence in the show, but I don't know if I can handle an upgrade to co-main protagonist. She's not that great of a character.

Kaoru and Michiru come back ;_;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, guys, don't raid the thread and all respond to the same person when like twenty different people said the same thing. Just let it die.

Thoraxes

School Days 12

• The little sister: Clearly the best character. Did nothing wrong. Always there for her older sister. Only wanted love to bloom. A role model for society.

ibnJ6tJ4S61p2X.gif

Oh man, you would love the little sister even more if you knew what happened to her in Summer Days..................

Lol. Clearly you're a bad conductor. Do you not see that there are no rails ahead of you?

Don't worry bro, me and my second-in-command SDBurton have GOT THIS THING!
Fun facts, BGBW (major School Days spoilers, uninitiated do not read!):

-
Makoto rapes the little sister in the VN.
-
It's not clear in the anime, but Best Bud actually raped Katsura. Rape-rape.

You forgot about the part where him and Hikari
play with each other outside the room while they watch as she's getting raped in the other room.

Syrinx

Sailor Moon SuperS 128:

Hito finally managed to twist my arm.

The first episode of the dreaded fourth season of Sailor Moon isn't so bad. It's also entirely possible that this was because it was a standard introductory episode setting up villains and concepts.

I actually kind of like the Black Moon Circus or whatever it's called. The "city of dogs and monkeys" speech that the members of the organization gave upon their introduction was surprisingly biting, and it's oddly nice to have villains that are refreshingly specific in their misanthropy rather than being generic RETURN EVERYTHING TO DARKNESS nihilists. Amazon Trio is *~FABULOUS~*.

So, it's looking suspiciously like Usagi and Chibiusa are going to do everything as a duo based on the way that some of the stock transformations and attacks were animated. I mean, I finally managed to be okay with Chibiusa's presence in the show, but I don't know if I can handle an upgrade to co-main protagonist. She's not that great of a character.

Kaoru and Michiru come back ;_;

The three hardest parts for watching Super S for me were that:

1. Greater focus on Chibi-Usa.
2. Many of the characters the villains pursue have little to no connection with the Sailor Senshi. Where in the previous season you would learn a little bit about the girls in each episode, here there is wayyy too much focus on random schmucks.
3. I've never seen a plot develop so fucking stagnantly in my life than in this season. I realize that the main plot has always kind of taken a back seat to each contained story in the episode, but you'll seriously see a stretch of like, 20 episodes without any real plot development whatsoever.

To me, the season got better after
the Amazon Trio arc ends
, at least in my opinion. But man, it can be one hell of a drag getting there.

Also, first post on Anime-GAF.

Sword Art Online 15

In the OP the one dude with the green avy based character looks like the guy from Working!! I hope he is a main character and interacts with Kirito. Anyway good start to the this new arc and I like all the out of world stuff. SAO would have been enhanced by taking such a route as Accel World did with out of and in of world stuff as it keeps the drama at a much higher and deeper level and makes things more enjoyable. Too game focused loses the intimacy and meaning behind actions or letting us understand characters, at least, based on both shows.

Imouto has successfully risen, in just one episode, to the best female character of Sword Art Online, and of all the possible heteroships that there are, would be the only one that I would have some slight inkling to become canon
all those scenes everywhere, the fighting, the bedroom scene, and then just comforting him and doing all this stuff for Kirito, and she even proved she has actually good skills, defeating him and giving him the run for the money. She's not bad at all, and all those scenes in the ED. Kirito should just let Sugoe have Asuna

Favorite moment was
Kendo when Kirito put the stick back like it was his sword and then he was all I forgot, lol, and then talking about his techniques in relation to needed assist from the game, though I didnt think hed be so physically fit after two years of laying down

Anyway this arc is way more compelling the one before and already has stuff I like so I have high hopes that it exceeds the previous.

Soma

Sword Art Online 15
Imouto has successfully risen, in just one episode, to the best female character of Sword Art Online, and of all the possible hetero ships that there are, would be the only one that I would have some slight inkling to become canon

Damn even DTL has given his blessings.

Good call, Thoraxes.

kayos90

I cannot believe how everyone is banding together now... I thought people were just being impartial and joining Team Suguha. This makes me sad....

Hello.

Are there good peoples in here?

Hey! Yes there are good people. A lot of good people usually end up posting lengthy impressions. Just saying. Also, there's cajun. You want to be on his good side. And Duckroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom