• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, but it's called A Song of Ice and Fire not Game of Thrones!

No way, Angel Beats is nowhere near as offensive as this show. Angel Beats is just bad.

I hate you. :(

So not only does it add the I WANT TO FUCK MY BROTHER character, but the idea of this evil raper dude who wants to fuck Asuna and is controlling her body in the real world is probably the laziest, most sickening thing outside of hentai.

This is White Knight Chronicles taken to the next level, where women are not only objects to be coveted, but to be protected from people who don't appreciate their value as objects. Seriously, this show makes the dumb-as-nails women that Sorkin wrote for The Newsroom look like great, three-dimensional characters with depth and character.

I mean, most harem shows are just dumb fantasies that are harmful, but benignly so. For example, Hayate is literally about a dude who protects waifus. But when I watch Hayate, I don't feel like this is what the show thinks about the relationship between men and women. Sword Art Online, on the other hand, is like watching one of those Happy Science animes where you feel so much wahjah just watching a representation of an insane ideology that the author believes in and that its fans presumably believe in.

You are the best at hating shows.

Looks like I have yet another reason to watch this show <_<

Thanks for the heads up
Vita
bro
i look out for pspals

Awww yeah.
Easy choice next to incest, foreign, and silver.
Eyepatches are also supreme master race.

Were you the guy with this avatar? You should use it again.
Yeah that was his best avatar.
:lol If I find the source pic tonight(currently looking), I'll make a better one and switch over again for a bit. That's one so gross and stretched and ick.

Wait until you see the transition to the ED. I watched it like 20 times :(
I can't get Roundabout out of my head after even the first episode.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do you guys really thinking SAO is as bad as you're saying it is, or is it the "shameless wish fulfillment" that is really bugging you guys?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think they hate it because it's fun to hate it. Sort of like bullying the dumb kid in the playground. It's just too easy and too fun.

Narag

Bleach 64

Still playing with the CR app and occasional crash is still present. Also I don't really miss this show at all though the friend that tried to ship Ichigo & Chad was funny. 60s/70s Renji was pretty bad too. Ichigo's a fucking idiot too.
Door swallows Orihime, better cut it in half then act surprised when she doesn't reappear!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see that firehawk is ripping SAO a new one... I'm so sad....
Don't worry, I'll protect you
if you are ever in a coma.

Remember when people were arguing whether Asuna was a strong/competent female character? Well,
now she's literally been reduced to a helpless object for Kirito to protect! She has no agency, and now even her father and Sugo are trading her around like an object.
You know what?
I hope she turns into a necklace like their "daughter", so she can become a literal object!
el. oh. el.

You are the best at hating shows.
The worst part is I can't stop. I want to see the depths of depravity that this fucking show will reach. :(

Do you guys really thinking SAO is as bad as you're saying it is, or is it the "shameless wish fulfillment" that is really bugging you guys?
No, it's bad. It is elevating my opinion of every other show I hate, so that even Don't Fuck Your Sister and I Want To Fuck My Brother seem like "normal" shows now. That's the worst part of SAO.

Narag

I think it's really uneven and a lot of Kirito's characterization is absent if the first LN is anything to go by. I mean, I'm fine with the recent developments & how the bad guy is portrayed but I'm not going to pretend it's all that clever.

I think they hate it because it's fun to hate it. Sort of like bullying the dumb kid in the playground. It's just too easy and too fun.

There's some truth to the communal aspect of plucking the low hanging fruit. Larger exposure means it's easier to discuss both it and its inherent flaws.

Uchip

Banned

I think its genuinely badly written

wait what?
if anything SAO is the brainless cool kid thats really popular and you have no idea why

Westlo

I like it, I'm even on #TeamAsuna man! Just easy to point out wack shit in it and some shit in 14 just annoyed me for reals.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The worst part is I can't stop. I want to see the depths of depravity that this fucking show will reach. :(

It's like a car accident on the side of the road. You know you should just continue forward and let the police on the scene do their thing, but something compels you to stop and become a spectator. :lol

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 1

g0N80.jpg

Shades of Legend of the Galactic Heroes here.

This had just the right blend of a serious political backdrop and melodramatic characters to satisfy me. Exactly where the story will go from here isn't entirely clear, but I found the setup of the various pieces in play compelling and I look forward to seeing the characters and their motives and backstory further expanded on. (
Whatever relationship there might be between Akito and the Britannian military official with the Geass who shares his last name is the most obviously tantalizing element.
) The art and character animation was okay, but the real effort clearly went into the CG mecha action, which is easily some of the best CG action I've seen in anime. The shading on the models, the dynamic camera angles, and the skillful choreography made it attractive and exciting. I also have to give special mention to the soundtrack, between the solo piano pieces for the softer moments and the edgy jazz for the action scenes it created the perfect mood in addition to being well-composed on its own.

It'll be painful to have to wait so long for the next entries; that's the downside of following an ongoing OVA series, I suppose.

cajunator

Banned
I think a lot of it has to do with those peripheral characters being far less defined, and therefore ideal for that sort of thing. I found it be pretty much the opposite with SAO though, that's to say, everyone around Kirito and Asuna were infinitely more interesting, because they had some semblance of a personality.

I agree.
The other characters were slightly more interesting.
However, the show generally wasnt as interesting as I was expecting and the characters I do like ended up being side stories barely an episode in length.
Kind of disappointing.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! - 02

There isn't much to say about this episode ...

All the things i was expecting from ep 2 didn't happen..

i dunno why you i didn't enjoy this episode that much ..

The jokes aren't funny ...and the characters start to becoem predictable...
The show is salvaged by the characters but even i will grow tired of them if they don't move from that spot..

Ps: Tsundere is serious business

sleepykyo

Is SAO and AW his only two series atm? Working on another or is he content to ride the SAO cashcow since it sells like 4x as much as Accel World in novels.

Accel World was got him published because SAO was rejected at first, right? Somewhere one of the judges is kicking himself for not realizing the brilliance.

On a somewhat related note, between SAO, brother complex the anime, Btoom, and Toloveru is this the most shameless season in recent history?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Westlo

Accel World was got him published because SAO was rejected at first, right? Somewhere one of the judges is kicking himself for not realizing the brilliance.

On a somewhat related note, between SAO, brother complex the anime, Btoom, and Toloveru is this the most shameless season in recent history?

I think SAO was too long for whatever he was going to enter so he just put it up on some website and people with taste said, this shit good son!" So he just kept on wiritng SAO shit and put it up on the web, than I think he got someone's attention in the industry because of that and than started a new series via proper means in Accel World. And of course why have novels and novels worth of Kawahara goodness just on the web? Than SAO got published! I think SAO novels are upto vol 9 but the web version has fuckloads more chapters for that arc that started with vol 9.

At least that's how I think it went down, need the Prophet of Kawahara aka Kayos to tell us what really happened.

As for the last sentence.. watching SAO, watching TLR, time to start the other two!

Kazzy

K-ON!! - Episode 13

ezqel.jpg

I've always thought that this is a ridiculously cool lounge

I really enjoyed the lucidity of this episode, it captured that strange end of summer haze really well. Essentially, it was one big day-dream, and a pathway into the mind of Azu-nyan, as she cat-napped her way through the day. The contents of the dreams was quite strange, mainly because they were just so mundane! Okay, maybe not that much. Damn Azusa, eat some cheese or something! They were a clever conceit though, as it allowed her to ruminate on the rest of the group. I really liked how it all eventually came together, and the way in which the dreams were juxtaposed with the eventual ending was great, culminating in this really sweet moment.

It was a welcome surprise, when a previous episode focussed on the perspective new group, so it was nice to see that aspect of the show revisited. And It was interesting to discover that, when switched to the perspective of Azusa, despite all her complaining, she really does revere the rest of the band. It was also funny to see Jun's reaction to the summary of what they all get up to, because when you do break it down, it is pretty ridiculous! She is also the audience surrogate that I originally expected Azusa to be, she's cool.

So, the grass is always greener, and with that, Jun joins the club! The end is nigh..

Dresden

This is White Knight Chronicles taken to the next level, where women are not only objects to be coveted, but to be protected from people who don't appreciate their value as objects. Seriously, this show makes the dumb-as-nails women that Sorkin wrote for The Newsroom look like great, three-dimensional characters with depth and character.

I mean, most harem shows are just dumb fantasies that are harmful, but benignly so. For example, Hayate is literally about a dude who protects waifus. But when I watch Hayate, I don't feel like this is what the show thinks about the relationship between men and women. Sword Art Online, on the other hand, is like watching one of those Happy Science animes where you feel so much wahjah just watching a representation of an insane ideology that the author believes in and that its fans presumably believe in.

That's what they said about Shakespeare.

Your mention of Happy Science reminded me of this though:

Ugandan track event athletes have blamed their failure to qualify for the Olympics on the inferior track they were forced to use for time trials.

These were supposed to be held at the national stadium but a double booking meant they had to make way for a Japanese Happy Science religious rally.

The Uganda Athletics Federation said had they been at the stadium, at least five athletes could have qualified.

Cwarrior

Code breaker ep1

My perfect dtl life, everyone is so bish and perfect.

The dtl wars began they have

dropped

Zetsuen no Tempest ep1

Same as the manga but now with x8 the stupid dialogue,slower pacing and the character are covered in slim &blush eww.

dropped

Robotic;Notes ep1

I hate genkai girls there so annoying.This whole sheer determination mecha trope is another reminder of how awful mecha writing is >_<, poor girl mecha animes have completely rotted her brain.

Hard to believe this crap has any relations to steins; gate.

dropped

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's what they said about Shakespeare.
Because 500 years from now, people will be reading Sword Art Online in schools around the world!

Your mention of Happy Science reminded me of this though:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/nHP1y.jpg[/url]
I'm shocked that Happy Science is that big. :p

You're the bum spraying AnimeGAF's windshield with truth at the stoplight of SAO.

.........if that makes any sense.
I'm the guy with the bible screaming on the street corner? lol

Well your service is crappy.
10/10. -IGN.com

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
OniAi - First 7 Minutes of Episode 1

Literally the not-greatest anime of all time. The writing is bad, the pacing is non-existant, the character's are incredibly dumb and unbelievable, the visuals are visible and the art style simply exists. I really cannot believe I have seen something so not-great in my life time.

Solid 4/10. I could die right now and I would have regrets after watching this.

Simply unremarkable. It's literally not-great in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom