• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

I watched all of Horizon S1 yesterday. Was pretty fun, although every scene was loaded with so much that it didn't really seem like much happened overall. Did they only animate one novel or something? I guess I'll start S2 tomorrow.

The newest novel that just came out on the 7th is the twelfth one I believe. I haven't read any of the novels but from those who have I've heard that apparently they adapted two novels per season or four novels. Even though they're called "light novels", apparently they're upwards of around 1000 pages in length so the anime is skipping over or super streamlining some of the events. With twelve novels and a rate of two novels per season, they can have quite a few more seasons if they wanted.

Not really related to tomat's Lagrange love-in, but the Major's outfit in Stand Alone Complex still gets my vote for worst anime clothing of all time.

ty, it was too fabulous not to use tbqh.

I remember many older science fiction stories telling me that all girls in the future would wear nothing but space bathing suits. I guess that didn't happen, although girls ensembles do seem to be getting skimpier and tighter as time goes on.

Haha, true. His hair is too fabulous max.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Where do you get that from?
That's definitely not the case.

Everyone hates everyone's taste, everyone hates the shows everyone else discusses, members be leavin, no new members comin in cept for those new members that just came in. The tension is there, I swear.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 29
folktales29.jpg
folktales29a.jpg
folktales29b.jpg

Once upon a time, crazy old women would eat the horses of tone deaf horse drivers, frogs were the scrubbiest of scrubs and vore fetishism was born.

folktales29c.jpg

ibpbK6JeO4KB8H.gif

Everyone hates everyone's taste, everyone hates the shows everyone else discusses, members be leavin, no new members comin in cept for those new members that just came in. The tension is there, I swear.

Well, I do get the impression that there are several members here who are just on perpetual hatewatch.

(their posts tend to be the most fun to read)

wonzo

Banned
I've always liked when a show can lead into it's ED seamlessly. I remember Jellyfish Princess doing that to great effect.
There was one episode of FMA: B that did that almost perfectly but I can't really remember what one it was. :>

You guys are hyping me for jojo ep2 op and whatnot
Better not be exaggerating, I'm about to watch it
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
But he knew it wouldn't last.
Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
For some California grass.

Get back[guitar noise], get back
Get back to where you once belonged
Get back, get back
Get back to where yo[inaudible]
Get back Jojo. Go home
Get back, get back
Back to where you once belonged
Get b[guitar noise]ack, get back
Back to where you once belonged
Get back Jojo

cajunator

Banned

Sorry, I just don't see that going on.
Maybe a few members skirmishing, but nothing major.

Westlo

The newest novel that just came out on the 7th is the twelfth one I believe. I haven't read any of the novels but from those who have I've heard that apparently they adapted two novels per season or four novels. Even though they're called "light novels", apparently they're upwards of around 1000 pages in length so the anime is skipping over or super streamlining some of the events. With twelve novels and a rate of two novels per season, they can have quite a few more seasons if they wanted.

Yeah the Horizon novels are fucking massive, also I heard the author is pretty involved with the anime production, writing tons of shit for them explaining shit etc.

Sequel should be a matter of when not if, best selling Sunrise Studio 8 show from 2000 up

Horizon - 21,554
Horizon 2 - 21,176 (first volume)
Mai-Hime - 9,994
Accel World - 9,327 (will drop below Otome)
Mai-Otome - 8,952
Sora o Kakeru Shoujo - 3,535
Xenoglossia - 2,288

Studio 8 are currently busy with the Nerawareta Gakuen Movie (lots of ex-Madhouse members as key staff) and the Love Live! School Idol Project TV series which is airing next year, I think Spring.. or did it get confirmed for Winter?

cajunator

Banned
Yeah the Horizon novels are fucking massive, also I heard the author is pretty involved with the anime production, writing tons of shit for them explaining shit etc.

Sequel should be a matter of when not if, best selling Studio 8 show from 2000 up

Horizon - 21,554
Mai-Hime - 9,994
Mai-Otome - 8,952
Xenoglossia - 2,288

Studio 8 are currently busy with the Nerawareta Gakuen Movie (lots of ex-Madhouse members as key staff) and the Love Live! School Idol Project TV series which is airing next year.

Mai Hime sold 10k?
Thats not too bad.
Didn't know it was that popular.

Maedhros

Sword Art now offline 15

Ok so I watched it with my roommates because Im a masochist and obviously hate myself.
Honestly this episode wasnt that bad. I do appreciate that they finally decided to show life in the real world

Wait wait wait... wtf are you talking about? Do you remember they were actually STUCK on the game in first place? There was shit to show outside the game. This isn't Accel World...

cajunator

Banned
Wait wait wait... wtf are you talking about? Do you remember they were actually STUCK on the game in first place? There was shit to show outside the game. This isn't Accel World...

The outside world looks more interesting than inside SAO.
The one episode taking place IRL is more interesting than everything that happened before it.

Narag

I think he's talking more about having some idea what was happening on the outside. Characters had no idea so this translated to the viewers not being given any extra information but it didn't sit well with everyone.

Nafe

I find this hard to believe.

Your names all blue now. Did you step down from being a moderator? or is it just some bug or something?

If it's something more personal than nevermind, I don't want to pry too much.

Sequel should be a matter of when not if, best selling Studio 8 show from 2000 up

Horizon - 21,554
Mai-Hime - 9,994
Mai-Otome - 8,952
Xenoglossia - 2,288

Studio 8 are currently busy with the Nerawareta Gakuen Movie (lots of ex-Madhouse members as key staff) and the Love Live! School Idol Project TV series which is airing next year.

Yeah, seems like they would continue the show.
All those character teases at the end of the second season would come across as such a jerk move otherwise :(

Westlo

Yeah don't really get the complaint of not showing what was happening outside of the game, was never the point really. It's like showing what was happening back on earth when Peter and his siblings was stuck in Narnia! (Yes I know no time passed, can't think of another example lol!)

Westlo

Yeah, seems like they would continue the show.
All those character teases at the end of the second season would come across as such a jerk move otherwise :(

That's just them being cockteases, sorta like what Sunrise Studio 9 did with Binbougami and what Gainax just did with the OP for Medaka Box 2. Though considering they knew how well Horizon sold it's not really a tease like those 2.

From the New World 3

This was another terrific episode. The story continues to be exceptionally well-told, rarely faltering in it's masterful execution. Though slow at times, I find it quite deliberate in it's methodical pacing, which allows for a thorough immersion into the gradual development of the world and the characters that inhabit it.

The opening sequence was fantastic, as,
five hundred and seventy years following the initial outbreak of magical abilities, three assassins lay siege to the temple, and, eventually, after suffusing their surroundings in a fiery glow, the final assassin murders the Emperor of Delight, and, as was noted by the assassin, this brutally momentous action likely altered history in a significant fashion
. Though these opening sequences are usually visually impressive, this one was particularly so, as the artistic style, by way of some beautifully contrasting colors, excellently portrayed each significant flourish. Since they effectively illuminate the unknown evolution of the original world into this veiled, tautly structured society, these sequences remain incredibly effective in establishing a certain atmosphere that permeates the entire episode, casting a particularly ominous air over the following developments.

The story, though more serene in tone throughout the episode, remains extensively thought-provoking and intriguing. Following an important scene from the previous episode that involved Saki's disobedient action of using her Cantus to free a queerat, they've already chosen to rebel once again by
abandoning their planned route and rowing to a destination that wasn't permitted
. The starlit scene in which
Shun touched Saki's hand was a pretty good moment, as their small, but nice interactions are quite compelling, since, up to this point, their burgeoning relationship signifies the sole presence of any discernible emotions of a romantic inclination

There is one particular, seemingly insignificant scene I thought worth mentioning, since it could prove to be a brief moment of foreshadowing. Upon first
encountering the minoshiro, they all become temporarily hypnotized, save for Saki, since she was somehow protected by the glasses she wore
. This could potentially be an omen of significance, denoting
Saki as the sole survivor of the coming events
. Their encounter with the
minoshiro
was a great scene, as, eventually,
having been captured and tamed, the minoshiro spoke, indicating that it was a biological library containing historical knowledge
. I'm rather excited for the increased unraveling of the narrative that very possibly awaits following the cliffhanger of sorts that concluded the episode. There also appeared to be a vague connection between the story that ominously illustrated the fate of those who come upon an
evil minoshiro
and their actual
encounter with one
, thus acknowledging that, if they
manage to reveal the secrets closed within, they could be similarly "disposed" of

The characters are exceedingly interesting, particularly Saki, as her complexities were most noticeable when she
coldly threatened to seriously injure the minoshiro
. The character interactions remain quite engaging, and it will be interesting to see how suddenly they transition in nature once their relatively peaceful existence is shattered. Their innocent, relaxed activities belie the unsettling nature of their world; a disquieting dichotomy that will inevitably come into play. As such, the developments within the next episode could provide an
irreversible loss of innocence and an unexpected maturation into adulthood

The production values have been one of the strongest elements of the show so far. The direction is extremely consistent in it's high quality, particularly in how confidently it manages to evoke directly contrasting emotions in moments that might otherwise appear lighthearted and relatively meaningless. It handles the complex pacing really well, while also balancing every episode with a tightly focused, distinctly subtle approach. Hardly any shot is wasted or left for mere insignificance.

This episode was visually amazing, highlighted especially in the opening, but also displayed quite wonderfully throughout the dazzling starlit sequence. As always, there were a plethora of stunning scenic shots. The writing is terrific, particularly in how deftly it handles the nuances of Saki's complex characterization. Musically, I felt this episode was more consistent than the last, since it was devoid of any particularly jarring selections, such as was evident in last episode's tournament. My absolute favorite piece is the one used in each opening, as it sets the tone for these haunting preludes brilliantly.

All in all, From the New World continues to excel with it's haunting depiction of a decayed, desolate society and the precocious naivety of the children who now seem
lost in it's mysterious, unprotected edges
. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, as it suggests they'll finally
discover the truth surrounding the blood-stained nature of their world
. Also, judging by the preview,
it seems that they'll be made aware that fiends, beings that bring the potential for the destruction of their controlled society, may emerge once again
. It's possible that these
"fiends"
could, in fact, refer to any or all of the main characters. This is easily the best, most impressive show of the season.

I've always liked when a show can lead into it's ED seamlessly. I remember Jellyfish Princess doing that to great effect.

This is actually probably the only thing the Fairy Tail anime does really well. More often than not, it fits the scene perfectly when it transitions into the ED.

Pooya

Much like you can tell who actually has a sister by how they react to incest shows, you can tell who actually has a cat by who's unsure which end of Poyo they're looking at here.

I don't have a sister and incest-ime disgusts me as much, don't judge like that...

That WAS a pretty Boss Ending tie-in in jojo
The entire episode was pretty boss, but yes, the tie-in ending was great. Gotta appreciate when a show does that.

I thought save the good for last to wash away the bad after taste, check out the first episode of the new animes this season could be interesting, when I was done it was time to go out, came back late now am sleepy :(.
It was a good idea to save JoJo for last to wahs out the bad, but you gotta make time! Who needs sleep?! D:

It took about 15 minutes to find the source pic, but I got it in the end~

cajunator

Banned
Yeah don't really get the complaint of not showing what was happening outside of the game, was never the point really. It's like showing what was happening back on earth when Peter and his siblings was stuck in Narnia! (Yes I know no time passed, can't think of another example lol!)

Well, when you are bored to death of whats going on inside the game, then you want to know whats going on OUTSIDE it because it might be more interesting.
I dontl ike MMORPG games, especially not ones with such a dull game environment as this in SAO, so I would prefer to know what the characters and their fmailies are going through IRL, even if it just shows them in a ocma. It would have been interesting seeing how it affected people. thats why episode 15 was pretty good.

Westlo

Since I saw that "technique" used in Macross Plus (<3 After, In the Dark) I've really liked seeing in done that way, when suitable of course.

Well, when you are bored to death of whats going on inside the game, then you want to know whats going on OUTSIDE it because it might be more interesting.
I dontl ike MMORPG games, especially not ones with such a dull game environment as this in SAO, so I would prefer to know what the characters and their fmailies are going through IRL, even if it just shows them in a ocma. It would have been interesting seeing how it affected people. thats why episode 15 was pretty good.

That's the thing, you weren't suppose to know what's going on outside until they happened to get outside, hasn't pretty much every scene been with Kirito in it anyway?

Maedhros

That's bullshit. If you don't enjoy what's happening inside, then there's no point... as the story is from the point of view of the MC, there's no need to show what's happening outside.

The story inside the game was what needed to be focused, that's the point of the show.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Since I saw that "technique" used in Macross Plus (<3 After, In the Dark) I've really liked seeing in done that way, when suitable of course.

That's the thing, you weren't suppose to know what's going on outside until they happened to get outside, hasn't pretty much every scene been with Kirito in it anyway?

I think people get that but that still doesn't matter if people are getting angsty about it. I personally knew that it was intentional since they never spoke of it and I had read the LN prior.

kayos90

Honestly I never thought SAO was trying to be a smart narrative or something extremely clever. It's just an adventure with okay writing, a fun adventure, and interesting game-mechanics.

cajunator

Banned
Honestly I never thought SAO was trying to be a smart narrative or something extremely clever. It's just an adventure with okay writing, a fun adventure, and interesting game-mechanics.

The problem is it wasnt fun.
For an ingame adventure it lacked some kind of hook.
It was so generic.
Maybe if Accel World didnt exist I wouldnt have expected more.

Mature

Game mechanics? I don't know. It was basically just the real world with a UI.

kayos90

The problem is it wasnt fun.
For an ingame adventure it lacked some kind of hook.
It was so generic.
Maybe if Accel World didnt exist I wouldnt have expected more.

The thing is, I'm fine with it being generic. It depends on the person's preference and his/her tolerance of the norm imo.

kayos90

I think the main problem with SAO that a lot of people have problems with is the writing of the characters. They come off as really bland, super generic full of plot armor and plot abilities, and their dialogue is bland if not cheesy/corny. I can understand this but I'm totally cool with it. It just makes it a mindless fun watch.

sonicmj1

The idea of building a giant robot and having it compete with other robots sounds boring?

Just to clarify, the robot they're building for the Robo-1 Grand Prix is a hobby robot that probably isn't more than a foot tall. It's a separate project from the giant robot they're making, which is pretty much being done just to have an actual Gunvarrel in the world.

cajunator

Banned
It was fun for me. And many others. The problem is making a generalization, like everyone wasn't supposed to like this. I've seen some here on this same topic, which make it 4chan 2.0.

Never said you werent allowed to like it.
Just saying its a shitty show.
I dont say that about many shows.
I also admitted that episode 15 is the best episode so far and is actually decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom