• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedhros

I don't think you should consider the pacing of these episodes as indicative of how the series will be paced overall.

They plan to animate until Balbadd Arc... I think it'll be pretty fast for it to get there. Even if it slows down sometime, I think the start was ruined already. 4 arcs in 26 episodes... it'll get butchered no matter what, I know.

Code:Breaker 02

Is this a reverse harem show? It's alright, I guess... Better than I thought it would be.

Essentially. One of the more twisted reverse harems that pretends to be a comedy from time to time despite EVERY SINGLE MALE MEMBER BEING A MASS-MURDERING ASSHOLE. Yuuki is an alright guy though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is Sengoku Collection really bad? Every time I see the picture of that girl with the pink hair and dumb face I laugh and get kinda interested.

despite EVERY SINGLE MALE MEMBER BEING A MASS-MURDERING ASSHOLE.
Sounds kinda alright.

Maedhros

I just hate censors. Do you really think that me, someone who doesn't cares about moe or waifus would really whatch something only to see boobs? If I wanted that I would watch that show about the sister wanting to fuck her brother, lol. Or ToLove-Ru.

It was the case with HSOD and other series where censors actually made the scenes lose impact. I always rewatch these shows with it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's going pretty well, considering only 1 ep has aired so far!

I noticed. You have half the posts that the SAO OT does. Then again, your material is much more thought provoking and you have a bigger audience - i think. Makes sense I guess. T_T

wonzo

Banned
Say I Love You 2
sayiloveyou2.jpg

This is all gonna end in tears for Mei, isn't it? :(

Is Sengoku Collection really bad? Every time I see the picture of that girl with the pink hair and dumb face I laugh and get kinda interested.
If you can get past the first three episodes it's actually pretty entertaining. That and the backgrounds are amazing.

Branduil

I think the logic is pretty simple - if we want to make OTs to inform the larger community of the forum on certain anime series, we should also support the OTs. Instead of having long detailed discussions in here which will get lost and buried for all but the most hardcore 20 posters in this thread, and posting various bits of news and whatever, these things can be posted in the OTs for the relevant shows instead. This will be more helpful to both other posters, as well as keeping the OTs alive.

For example, look at the From the New World OT. It's basically an AnimeGAF Community Impressions Blog right now. This isn't anyone's fault, it's just how it looks. If we actually bothered to use the thread to discuss the show and debate certain issues, it would seem much more lively and interesting.

People aren't really discussing From the New World here either... hopefully that changes soon.

OceanBlue

They plan to animate until Balbadd Arc... I think it'll be pretty fast for it to get there. Even if it slows down sometime, I think the start was ruined already. 4 arcs in 26 episodes... it'll get butchered no matter what, I know.

I don't think it was ruined. A lot of people who are only watching the anime think it's good. As a manga reader, though, I just have trouble dealing with scenes like the weird Mor-being-happy-in-sunlight scene, how Aladdin and Alibaba kinda just sat there in front of Mor and the other guy and bragged before they slowly floated away, and how the door needed two hands to open. They're all just small changes, though, and if I take a step back I don't think they affect much overall.

I guess I'm just more optimistic. I don't see why the later arcs would be ruined because they're rushing through the beginning like they said they would.

fertygo

Well they plan to adapt 3 volume in 5 episode lol, they're bound to slow down if they want to stop at Balbadd.

I have no problem with episode 2 actually, its actually felt longer than the duration. Eps 4-5 gonna take bigger hit than this dungeon arc IMO.

@OceanBlue.
Me too.

Average for the whole series. There are great episodes, good episodes, terrible episodes and horrible episodes. But it was still fun to watch. I want more.

Maedhros

I don't think it was ruined. A lot of people who are only watching the anime think it's good. As a manga reader, though, I just have trouble dealing with scenes like the weird Mor-being-happy-in-sunlight scene, how Aladdin and Alibaba kinda just sat there in front of Mor and the other guy and bragged before they slowly floated away, and how the door needed two hands to open. They're all just small changes, though, and if I take a step back I don't think they affect much overall.

I guess I'm just more optimistic. I don't see why the later arcs would be ruined because they're rushing through the beginning like they said they would.

Well, it's simply worse than it was in the anime. They just did a bad job with these. I'll continue to watch because I know it'll get better later.

You always seem on edge and angry about Code:Breaker :(

It's mostly thanks to Sakurakouji's presence, because without her, it would just be a normal series about bishounens killing dudes. Black and grey or grey and grey kind of stuff. Instead, her being there introduces a kind of morality system, which just makes it seem like we're expected to sympathize with both the killers and the victims, yet the former get no kind of consequences and still get to fuck around in comedic situations, and Sakurakouji is perfectly cool with that!

I think my ragequit post from the manga thread is pretty telling:

Code:Breaker

Thinking about it some more, I realized I am too disgusted with this manga to continue it for now. Not only did the most recent chapter invalidate the entire arc and a good chunk of Ogami's development, but it also followed up a brutal scene with a heartwarming one, thus playing the brutal scene off as a heartwarming one. It just makes me think the author actually believes this shit is "right", at least that's how she's portraying it. Sakurakouji's character has been completely derailed at this point, and the others aren't much better.

I'll probably still watch the anime and pick the manga up again when it finishes, but for now I can't keep reading it week to week, hoping that its retarded concept of morality actually decides to show some consistency or get abandoned entirely in favor of some balls to the wall developments that can't be taken seriously.

So temporary drop after 195 chapters. Think that's a record. Beat Umi no Misaki out by more than double the chapter count.

Maedhros

Well, hopefully in the next episode or two stuff actually starts happening so we can have something to discuss...

Lol... true. There's nothing to discuss... so edgy, criptic... the only thing that we could discuss was the sound and animation, which continues to be top notch.

duckroll

It's mostly thanks to Sakurakouji's presence, because without her, it would just be a normal series about bishounens killing dudes. Black and grey or grey and grey kind of stuff. Instead, her being there introduces a kind of morality system, which just makes it seem like we're expected to sympathize with both the killers and the victims, yet the former get no kind of consequences and still get to fuck around in comedic situations, and Sakurakouji is perfectly cool with that!

I think it's kinda funny tbh. There's this crazy guy who's all LOL IM SO EVIL LOL IM TOO COOL WATCH AS I PRETEND TO BE A NICE GUY IN FRONT OF EVERYONE LOL, and then there's a girl who is all OMG I CAN'T LEAVE HIM ALONE SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET IN THIS ANIME AND I MUST LET HIM KNOW. It's really nonsensical and funny to me. There's clearly not a lot of thought put into the moral spectrum here, it's just two stupid extreme views being played for drama. I literally lol'd when she was like YOU SHOULD TURN YOURSELF IN TO THE POLICE. It's so ridiculous, it's hard for me to be remotely offended. Instead, it's pretty entertaining.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think it's kinda funny tbh. There's this crazy guy who's all LOL IM SO EVIL LOL IM TOO COOL WATCH AS I PRETEND TO BE A NICE GUY IN FRONT OF EVERYONE LOL, and then there's a girl who is all OMG I CAN'T LEAVE HIM ALONE SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET IN THIS ANIME AND I MUST LET HIM KNOW. It's really nonsensical and funny to me. There's clearly not a lot of thought put into the moral spectrum here, it's just two stupid extreme views being played for drama. I literally lol'd when she was like YOU SHOULD TURN YOURSELF IN TO THE POLICE. It's so ridiculous, it's hard for me to be remotely offended. Instead, it's pretty entertaining.

Sounds like a certain character I'm familiar with.

The problem isn't tropes/cliches but the execution of said tropes/cliches. It's something that Gintama excels at.

I'm speaking as someone who's seen the first 50-something episodes of Bleach, read the manga until the end of the Soul Society Arc, read Naruto up until after the timeskip when the sand dude (i think his name was gaara or something?) got kidnapped in one of the dumbest ways possible and watched the first 110 episodes of One Piece and read some 440 chapters of the manga when I say that the 140 episodes I've seen of Gintama are better than all three of them. Who died and gave you the right to talk down on others when it comes to shounen series?

Gintama has its own fair share of tiresome/cliched moments. Most of the multi-episode arcs start to drag at the end, because that's where the sentimentality comes in. The Hosen and Yoshiwara arc, the Kagura/alien dog arc, and the Ryugu Palace arc all could have benefited from being cut down by an episode, and in the stand-alone episodes, the third act where the conflict gets resolved by Gin making a speech is pretty often a drag coming off the insanity that preceded it. Gintama is a bit schizophrenic in how it goes from mocking anime conventions to following them to the letter from one moment to the next. That's part of why I enjoy it, though, because it really feels like it could go in any direction at any given time.

OceanBlue

Stuff is totally happening. I'm pretty sure.

I haven't watched episode three so I might be behind, but it's definitely easier to discuss worldbuilding in context of a huge change in the status quo. At least, it is for me. So while things are happening, I think discussion is going to explode when something big happens because it will have so many consequences on the things we've seen in the last 2 episodes.

Well, I don't know what happens in the plot. For all I know, there might never be a huge shift. I just think that this show has a good potential for a lot of discussion when the time comes.

I guess I was the same, laughing or just chuckling whenever she was panicing or trying to get him to change his ways and he just smirks and smiles and burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom