• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

To be fair, JoJo is the only one who's noticing something wrong with Dio, and that's simply because Dio has only been directly targeting him. He always acts like a perfect little gentleman in front of the other members of the household. That's the point of all the scenes in the first episode comparing JoJo's slobbishness and sloppiness to Dio's good manners and studiousness.

They try to establish that, but I don't think they do a particularly good job of it. Dio never seems all that charming. Even when he's acting like a perfect gentleman, he still comes off like an ass. I think a lot of this is due to the accelerated pace. They don't have the time to do the little scenes necessary to make Dio seem likable when not attacking JoJo.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Please be gentle.

E4h26.png

"I'll... I'll do my best!"

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
They try to establish that, but I don't think they do a particularly good job of it. Dio never seems all that charming. Even when he's acting like a perfect gentleman, he still comes off like an ass. I think a lot of this is due to the accelerated pace. They don't have the time to do the little scenes necessary to make Dio seem likable when not attacking JoJo.

I won't deny it's clearly painting Dio as the evil villain he is, but it really isn't that important over all, other than to kickstart the plot.

Uchip

Banned

really? he was giving the other boxers tips in ep01, and puts on a smile for the rugby interview
he seems pretty sociable

yami4ct

I won't deny it's clearly painting Dio as the evil villain he is, but it really isn't that important over all, other than to kickstart the plot.

I agree with that, but I think what my friend brought up is still a valid criticism. These types of villains work best when they try to insert some charm in there. The fact they don't make him charming at all sort of cuts down the believability of what Dio can accomplish. It makes everyone in the world kind of seem like an idiot/blind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Please forgive, I dont have some for all as some people just seem unshippable or supershippable (the ultimate ukes like tsuna) but anyway some logical and some supercrack pairings.

Seme - Uke

Cajunator - RourouniZel
novid - firemind
SDBurton - ChetRippo
TurkishEmporer - Amishpriest99
Survivor - DTL
Cwarrior - CosmicBlizzard
Regulus Tera - firehawk12
Ultimadrago - Envelope
kayos90 - duckroll
Nafe - hitokage
Branduil - Jexhius
Billiechu - BGBW
dresden - MadPierrot
Uchip - fertygo
darkside31337 - narag
Genejin - 7th
Thoraxes - KO Traveling Hobo
mAcOdIn - icarus-daedelus
dakkumauji - steroyd
oceanblue - tomat
/XX/ - articalys

Maybe I shouldn't start posting more in here...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, looks like we lost a few newbies and oldbies to these shenanigans.

DTL, take responsibility!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I agree with that, but I think what my friend brought up is still a valid criticism. These types of villains work best when they try to insert some charm in there. The fact they don't make him charming at all sort of cuts down the believability of what Dio can accomplish. It makes everyone in the world kind of seem like an idiot/blind.

mmm, I think there was enough there, but of course ymmv.

yami4ct

AnimeGaf is like your crazy uncle. You appreciate the good and try to act like the insane things he does never happen.

On a more serious note, some of you guys wonder why you don't get more newbies. This kind of stuff is real off putting.

Narag

I actually thought that was intentional so it'd be straight black & white rather than having grey characters in an attempt to embrace a more old school sensibility. Larger then life and all that.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I actually thought that was intentional so it'd be straight black & white rather than having grey characters in an attempt to embrace a more old school sensibility. Larger then life and all that.

Dio makes up for his lack of charm with over the top fabulousness.

Uchip

Banned

but they do, on multiple occasions
like I said, hes shown putting on an act for crows of people, and impressing the father with being a gentleman.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
AnimeGaf is like your crazy uncle. You appreciate the good and try to act like the insane things he does never happen.

On a more serious note, some of you guys wonder why you don't get more newbies. This kind of stuff is real off putting.

DTL can't be contained.

yami4ct

I should stop arguing a point someone else brought up as I can't fully support it. I just thought it was interesting and a good thing to put out there.

My personal view is: I love the show, love how deliciously evil Dio is, and love the manly man fights.

Emitan

I'm new relatively speaking. I didn't really start posting here until the last thread. Any group of people worth joining has a bunch of crazy you have to learn to understand before you can fit in.

jman2050

You'd think, right? And yet we just keep getting new guys all the time.

There are some unfortunate implications at play here...

Uchip

Banned
I should stop arguing a point someone else brought up as I can't fully support it. I just thought it was interesting and a good thing to put out there.

My personal view is: I love the show, love how deliciously evil Dio is, and love the manly man fights.

I just thought it was a strange thing to argue considering how much emphasis they put on it

Jubern

I have a question about From the New World : I noticed people are already talking about episode 3, but isn't the first broadcast of the week on Tuesday night?

Is there some kind of advance online broadcast which I'm not aware off?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a question about From the New World : I noticed people are already talking about episode 3, but isn't the first broadcast of the week on Tuesday night?

Is there some kind of advance online broadcast which I'm not aware off?
Umm... this is one of those things that you need to use Google for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom