• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Depends. If the reasoning is solid then I don't see why not. I've read some reviews on Amazon(US version) that were better than some blogs I've been to. The reviews for FFXIII were straight on the money in Japan before the US launch.

Amazon reviews do not require you to buy the product, allow reviews before the product is ever released, and has no filtering or moderation at all. Sure -some- opinions might be valid, but because the entire platform is flawed the time and effort it would take to consider the possibility of each entry's validity is pointless.

Thoraxes

Depends. If the reasoning is solid then I don't see why not. I've read some reviews on Amazon(US version) that were better than some blogs I've been to. The reviews in Japan for FFXIII were straight on the money before the US launch. There are times to outright dismiss them such as in Kokoro Connect's case but I'm not aware of any controversy issue with R;N to dismiss the reviews by default.

It's really no different from Kokoro Connect unless all those people are verified buyers from Amazon.

wtOeJ.gif
]
I hope beyond hope we get a season 2 some day.
I miss this show. ;_;

The show of the season for me, made buy all the LN's, they arrieved yesterday. I think they might have material for a second season.

There's so much avatar potencial with the color opening pages. Specially volume 5
with watashi pokemon trainer.

Jarmel

Banned
Amazon reviews do not require you to buy the product, allow reviews before the product is ever released, and has no filtering or moderation at all. Sure -some- opinions might be valid, but because the entire platform is flawed the time and effort it would take to consider the possibility of each entry's validity is pointless.

I definitely think it should be taken with liberal amounts of salt. This is one of those cases where I wish I could read Japanese better than I can but I think looking at the reasoning for the top reviews would probably give some sort of insight. If the top review explains why they didn't like the game and there are a large number of people backing it up then I think it's probably worth investigating. There is also Mk2 but there is only 9 reviews up for R;N and I'm not sure if the same issue with buyer verification exists with MK2.

Here's a link to the Mk2 reviews for anyone that wishes to try and read it:
http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=975

What happened with Kokoro Connect and Amazon?

They firebombed the Amazon reviews because of the PR controversy.

It's really no different from Kokoro Connect unless all those people are verified buyers from Amazon.

Why though? People were pissed off at the company and so responded in one of the only manners they could, similar to what happened with ME3's Amazon rating. I could understand if there was another big controversy but I haven't heard anyone suggest it.

Thoraxes

Why though? People were pissed off at the company and so responded in one of the only manners they could, similar to what happened with ME3's Amazon rating. I could understand if there was another big controversy but I haven't heard anyone suggest it.

Because it can be people that haven't even bought the product. I mean, i'm definitely more likely to trust someone who has also purchased the product I plan on purchasing than someone who has not. I understand the news stories getting posted there, but to give something a slamming review when you haven't even bought it, used it, or experienced it is shameless.

It's hard to actually even find out about what you want to purchase when something is flooded with so much illegitimacy that you have to sort through. It's like if the page for ME3 was spammed with 1000 "HUURRRRRR MARAUDER SHIELDS" but said nothing about the actual rest of the product I want to order, and there were two legit reviews that talk about the actual product I want to purchase.

duckroll

I definitely think it should be taken with liberal amounts of salt. This is one of those cases where I wish I could read Japanese better than I can but I think looking at the reasoning for the top reviews would probably give some sort of insight. There is also Mk2 but there is only 9 reviews up for R;N and I'm not sure if the same issue with buyer verification exists with MK2.

Well, my point is that if you don't know anyone personally who has played the game and gave you significant reason to be concerned that it is a pile of shit or something, why would it bother you? I don't actively seek out random opinions on the source material of adaptations I plan to watch. If I'm interested in something, it probably means the premise interests me. If I'm willing to give it a try, it means I can make up my own mind after I've seen it.

It's different if say, someone here has actually played the game and feels it's really awful and the anime would probably suffer from inherent problems in the storyline or whatever. For starters, there would be able to be back and forth conversation to discuss what we could expect from it. Another factor would be that we are familiar with what regular members of the community here like/dislike, so that can be adjusted for personal taste.

Otherwise it just feels like a total waste of time to me. Why bother?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey man Accel World has the MMO thing and that going for it. It's even got a highschool setting!
Did AW start with a self-loathing main character who decides to become Batman?

There's nothing wrong with playing MMOs to escape reality. If it's better than reality!
The problem is that the girl you're in love with is probably your next door neighbor. :p

Reasons my Japanese middle school's culture festival was worse than Kanya-sai:

- Only two days
- No cooking contest
- No people cosplaying
- No fortune telling
- No Classics Club selling an anothology that sheds light on the incredible and tragic history behind the festival
- No ridiculous mystery involving someone stealing useless implements from clubs
- No badass breakdancing during the hip-hop dance
- Sitting in an auditorium listening to every class in the school do choral singing

Reason it was better than Kanya-sai:

- Infinitely more
KIMI NO NATSU NO OWARI SHOURAI NO YUME
played during a festival recap slideshow during the closing ceremonies.
Hahahaha.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, my point is that if you don't know anyone personally who has played the game and gave you significant reason to be concerned that it is a pile of shit or something, why would it bother you? I don't actively seek out random opinions on the source material of adaptations I plan to watch. If I'm interested in something, it probably means the premise interests me. If I'm willing to give it a try, it means I can make up my own mind after I've seen it.

It's different if say, someone here has actually played the game and feels it's really awful and the anime would probably suffer from inherent problems in the storyline or whatever. For starters, there would be able to be back and forth conversation to discuss what we could expect from it. Another factor would be that we are familiar with what regular members of the community here like/dislike, so that can be adjusted for personal taste.

Again I think that's a valid point in regards to being able to question an individual about their tastes and what was their specific problem with whatever. It's part of the inherent problem I have with Metacritic and RT but I think there is also something to be said about gauging general quality. Personal preference comes into play with everything and so nothing should ever be taken as a pure score.

It's also an adaptation so there might be significant changes that could adjust certain parts of the story or even the fact that the story is being fully animated, might change reactions to certain components.

Because it can be people that haven't even bought the product. I mean, i'm definitely more likely to trust someone who has also purchased the product I plan on purchasing than someone who has not. I understand the news stories getting posted there, but to give something a slamming review when you haven't even bought it, used it, or experienced it is shameless.

Well not everybody that bought/played the product could have bought it specifically at Amazon. I think the reasoning behind the review is more important and there is some suspicion to be had if a decent number of people seemingly agree with it. I also made it clear that I'm talking about second-hand sources. If people want to be hyped for R;N then go ahead, I'm just being wary of the source material as it doesn't seem to be as strong as S;G. Could I be wrong on that? Sure.

Thoraxes

Well not everybody that bought/played the product could have bought it specifically at Amazon. I think the reasoning behind the review is more important and there is some suspicion to be had if a decent number of people seemingly agree with it. I also made it clear that I'm talking about second-hand sources. If people want to be hyped for R;N then go ahead, I'm just being wary of the source material as it doesn't seem to be as strong as S;G. Could I be wrong on that? Sure.

Then I would rather go read specialty blogs/reviews/websites/message boards that go into more details on the things that are beyond the specific product i'm buying. I'm really anal retentive when it comes to things going in their proper categories is all with correct function and evidence. If I see a product review section, I expect product reviews on that isolated product and what exactly will be coming in this box I am getting not all the baggage that I won't be getting in this box that is extraneous.

I'm actually saying this all independent of R;N; just as a generality thing. I'm only talking about my own opinion here though, and I know other people feel differently.

For what it's worth, I've played through what feels like half of the game and I'm really digging it. I'm sure Production IG will do a solid job with it.

It's a very different sort of story when compared to Steins;Gate, but that's why it's Robotics;Notes instead of Steins;Gate. It's not a sequel and was never billed as one so it seems silly that people were expecting that.

Jarmel

Banned
Err.. no offense, why should they?

Idris Elba should be the next bond

There's no particular reason I guess, just more cultural diversity in general. I guess that's part of the reason I'm looking forward to Magi.

Then again after seeing that they still had to make Sazh comedy relief to an extent, maybe I really don't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's no particular reason I guess, just more cultural diversity in general. I guess that's part of the reason I'm looking forward to Magi.

Then again after seeing that they still had to make Sazh comedy relief to an extent, maybe I really don't.
The Prince of Persia movie taught me that white people live everywhere!

It would be nice. Only black lead in anime I can think of is Afro Samurai. Even in manga, it's super rare. All I'm aware of is Blaster Knuckle and Color of Rage.

Branduil

Black leads aren't even that common in American movies. You're not going to see many at all in a nearly homogeneous country like Japan.

CiSTM

Banned
When will Bakuman! S3 start? Also how many volumes does the first two season cover? I really would like to know how many more episodes I should expect from the show.

BluWacky

When will Bakuman! S3 start? Also how many volumes does the two season cover? I really would like to know how many more episodes I should expect from the show.

Bakuman starts next Saturday (6th). The first two seasons covered up to about volume 11 - assuming they animate the entire thing, you might get another two series (so 52 episodes) given that the whole manga ran to 20 volumes, but there's no telling what they'll do with the pacing for a third series.

Went into the city for the first time in a few weeks to check out the new releases and new displays at Animate since the next season is getting ready to start.

So. Much. Magi.

Seriously. The entire wall next to the entrance was covered in Magi merchandise and manga.

Some more Magi merch. Hype for this one appears to be high.

As always, Fate/Zero remains a super popular property over here.

Of course, Sword Art Online is also really big here. Before I got to the display, a huge group of girls were giggling and grabbing CDs/Kirito stuff. Batman has got a lot of female fans.

For some reason there were mini Psycho Pass posters and advertisements in the arcade I normally visit. I have no idea why. Hahaha.

cajunator

Banned
Went into the city for the first time in a few weeks to check out the new releases and new displays at Animate since the next season is getting ready to start.

So. Much. Magi.

Seriously. The entire wall next to the entrance was covered in Magi merchandise and manga.

Some more Magi merch. Hype for this one appears to be high.

As always, Fate/Zero remains a super popular property over here.

Of course, Sword Art Online is also really big here. Before I got to the display, a huge group of girls were giggling and grabbing CDs/Kirito stuff. Batman has got a lot of female fans.

For some reason there were mini Psycho Pass posters and advertisements in the arcade I normally visit. I have no idea why. Hahaha.

Looks like Magi will definitely be marketed like crazy. I hope the ricebowls are good!

There was actually another display on the opposite end of the store too.

Also, lol @ the visible "No pictures" sign on the wall in the first image. Derp.

I'm like a ninja.

Westlo

Damn Aomine vs Kise in Kuroko's Basket was so damn good... season 2 announcement where the fuck are you!?

He knew the right pander buttons to push, that's for sure!
But the show seems to flow better than SAO does, although some of that has to do with the well done battles.

It has a lot to do with Accel World being a straight adaption of the novels while Sword Art Online is trying to put everything into chronological order.

Episode 1 - SAO Volume 1
Episode 2 - Aria in the Starless Night, Material Edition
Episode 3 - SAO Volume 2, 1 of 4 side stories
Episode 4 - SAO Volume 2, 1 of 4 side stories
Episode 5 - SAO Volume 8, 1 of 3 side stories
Episode 6 - SAO Volume 8, 1 of 3 side stories
Episode 7 - SAO Volume 2, 1 of 4 side stories
Episode 8 - SAO Volume 1
Episode 9 - SAO Volume 1
Episode 10 - SAO Volume 1
Episode 11 - SAO Volume 2, 1 of 4 side stories
Episode 12 - SAO Volume 2, 1 of 4 side stories

The second half should flow much better for what it's worth, I've got no idea if it's any good though... lol @ those novel excerpts posted in the last thread, gonna be entertaining that's for sure though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom