• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Magi - 02

This was pretty bad.

I don't want to go into the whole manga vs. anime thing because it just makes me sadder and makes no sense for anyone unfamiliar with it. I'll just say that I've never minded changes made to the source material assuming they work, and they certainly don't here. The writing is inept and misses the point on all the characters, making them act in uncharacteristic ways, and their development feels contrived and hurried due to the messed up pacing. The best adaptations refine the work even as/if they give their own take on it, but this feels soulless as fuck. The best thing about it is the OP which still has the charm that drew me to the series in the first place.

The episode as a whole feels sluggish and boring, even as it speeds toward the conclusion of the arc. There's no sense of adventure due to said adventure being cut in half to accommodate the pace. Everything feels so abrupt thanks to the narrative needs of getting to point B from point A superseding stuff like sense of place or a good passage of time or just decent storytelling. Exposition mars whatever flow the episode gains; example:
when Alibaba arrives after 'dying,' there's no sudden escape, but rather an odd speech from Alibaba himself detailing just what happened. Clumsy shit.
We're getting the bones of the story and the bones are warped from the start. And to what point? Do we really need 12+ episodes of Balbadd at the cost of everything else?

Probably the most I've typed here in years. Feels bad man. I'll stick with this for now.

at least the ED illustrations are cute said:
A1vvi.jpg

Westlo

Wow, the manga art seems pretty awkward.

I can think of two good things about that art.

Looks like Sanae's entering the picture.

Judging from her design and how she acts in the OP, worst girl has arrived.

I see some very terribly drawn breasts. Is that what you are referring to?

arnie-wrong.gif

That last one translates to something like "Little sisters mustn't put their hands on brother!" The English caption on the cover is even better.

"A scramble between twin sisters for their older brother becomes a total mess."

What.

Needs an anime ASAP!

I don't think I've ever agreed with you as much as I do right now.

It's more like "Little sisters, keep your hands off me!"

There must be a lot of kids without siblings in Japan.

Yeah, that's way better.

For some reason I couldn't come up with an adequate stupid ass sentence name. XD. Was too busy hating myself for taking a close up in front of other people. OTL

Grzi

Magi - 02

Really good, the fact that they're rushing doesn't bother me one bit because I really can't wait for them to start the Balbadd arc, it will be glorious. They changed some things a bit too, like the trap, and I like the way they did it here even more than in the manga.
It still looks and sounds great, the art direction is superb, once again I must mention how good these characters look in motion, it's like they were made for animation. It reminds me of Makoto in 3rd Strike - when you see the artwork it probably doesn't look like a cool character design (although the Magi designs look great in the manga, I'd say that the people who only saw the anime promo shots couldn't quite "get" them), but it truly starts to shine when you see it in motion.

Can't wait to see the
sword fight
in the next episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 070
There are certain well-known harem leads that need to take some lessons from Poplan.

RE: Julian: Handsome, well-mannered, ace pilot, history-savvy, master of disguise, excellent tactical planner, distinguished son, lady-swooner, and now a
Rosen Ritter
? This pretty boy is the goddamn Batman minus the tragic background.
And now BRICK COLUMNS are super effective against crossbows AND axes.

Rest of the episode:
Yang you handsome son of a bitch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, uh, I'm morbidly curious about School Days. Somebody please describe the experience of watching this show for me.
Looks like my suffering was in vein. Knowing that I couldn't even prevent one person from watching this show will give my at least one sleepless night.

Hey Chet. Go away for a while. Kthx.
Damn. Even I haven't been told to bugger off.

Been paying nanaca crash again lately and thought I would share. Get nostalgic, AniGaf.
When the Katawa version came out that was all I was playing for days. Played it even more than the real game.

I noticed. You have half the posts that the SAO OT does. Then again, your material is much more thought provoking and you have a bigger audience - i think. Makes sense I guess. T_T
If it makes you feel better just remember the SAO thread was only made recently.

I wonder who the favorite here is.... hmm.....

314165_429846830407348_475406908_n.jpg
Mr Sample. He has front billing.

guyz, should i join my Uni's anime club
This reminds me of my uni's society. They shoved everything together under one geek umbrella. I didn't even bother to look at their stand.

Why am I on top?
Femdom?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Looks like my suffering was in vein. Knowing that I couldn't even prevent one person from watching this show will give my at least one sleepless night.
No, dude, you are thinking about this backwards. School Days is not something anyone should be ashamed of.

Steroyd

I'm your waifu.

Y7Do2.jpg

Why is the guy's haired tied up like that?

Why?

Because he's a male Yuno.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSj4Ac9SWQZpreoi3DNK.jpg

Please forgive, I dont have some for all as some people just seem unshippable or supershippable (the ultimate ukes like tsuna) but anyway some logical and some supercrack pairings.

Seme - Uke

Cajunator - RourouniZel
novid - firemind
SDBurton - ChetRippo
TurkishEmporer - Amishpriest99
Survivor - DTL
Cwarrior - CosmicBlizzard
Regulus Tera - firehawk12
Ultimadrago - Envelope
kayos90 - duckroll
Nafe - hitokage
Branduil - Jexhius
Billiechu - BGBW
dresden - MadPierrot
Uchip - fertygo
darkside31337 - narag
Genejin - 7th
Thoraxes - KO Traveling Hobo
mAcOdIn - icarus-daedelus
dakkumauji - steroyd
oceanblue - tomat
/XX/ - articalys

wRBpg.jpg

DiGiKerot

Sounds like it lines up pretty well with my impressions. The main battle scenes (the opener, the one in the school, the one in the lobby) were all pretty impressive, but things like the car chase and the finale really felt off.

Yeah, that stuff is all cool. My only real problem with those scenes is that, outside of the opening on the train, there's something of a lack of a body count. It's not necessarily a problem in itself, but it does make the movie feel rather neutered after the TV show, and as a result fails to create any kind of tension for those who didn't see the end of the TV show in particular - the Eldar Bairns just don't come off as terrifying as they didn't in the series.

Since I saw it in Japanese and didn't really understand everything that was being said, can you tell me if
Fumito's motivations for turning himself into a monster so Saya could kill him
were as ridiculous as it seemed like they sounded?

I was watching with subtitles, and I'm still a little confused over all that, to be honest. Fumito's character motivation does come off a bit jumbled - I'm trying to mentally re-parse it all now and I'm just coming up as confused.
I kind of lose the train of thought after him saying that the whole series of experiments was an attempt to turn himself into a being exactly like Saya but found that it was impossible...

I'm actually seeing it again when it shows in Edinburgh next week. Maybe it'll make a bit more sense at that point.

I'm kind of disappointed that the one "older" friend of Saya from the TV show didn't get her comeuppance in the end, but I suppose they did leave things open to a sequel of some kind

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I should probably try to get back into Hidamari Sketch. Is the pace the same throughout or does it do a Lucky Star and change after the first few episodes?

Dresden

robotic;notes - 01

There was a time in my life when I would've totally dug Akiho's brand of genkiness, but watching Sora no Manimani scarred me for life and I am now unable to appreciate any sort of peppiness whatsoever. I stared too long at the sun; Kanae Itou's chipmunk-pitched voice still rings in my ears.

I'd enjoy this more if it was stripped of all the DIVERGENCE and time travel and roach-shaped alien girls and general srs-business bullshittery. Focus on the hobby robots, and the competitive aspect of it.

duckroll

I'd enjoy this more if it was stripped of all the DIVERGENCE and time travel and roach-shaped alien girls and general srs-business bullshittery. Focus on the hobby robots, and the competitive aspect of it.

Go watch Angelic Layer. If you've seen it, go watch it... again. Lol.

wonzo

Banned
I should probably try to get back into Hidamari Sketch. Is the pace the same throughout or does it do a Lucky Star and change after the first few episodes?
The pacing is pretty similar, although it does like to mix things up every now and then. It gets even better once the second season starts!

Mandoric

Banned

LS's initial director: Fired after ep 4, sent off to the Fractale mines
HS's initial director: Busy rolling in piles of yen, dollars, and euros post-Bakemoneygatari and Cashdoka, not as involved as he once was but occasionally sticks his head in for tips/pointers/to storyboard an entire damn ep by hand. Day-to-day direction is handled by a core of trusted series directors who've studied under him for the past almost-decade.

Uchip

Banned
robotic;notes - 01

There was a time in my life when I would've totally dug Akiho's brand of genkiness, but watching Sora no Manimani scarred me for life and I am now unable to appreciate any sort of peppiness whatsoever. I stared too long at the sun; Kanae Itou's chipmunk-pitched voice still rings in my ears.

sometimes I wonder if otaku hear frequencies of noise differently
because that kind of character and voice is completely obnoxious

wonzo

Banned
SSO 27

the animation was pretty good but i felt like it was missing something given it was an umakoshi episode.
i'll miss aria. well, for the yuna shipping anyway. i couldn't care less about the rest of her.

agirlbythesea.png
agirlbythesea.png

Maedhros

Magi - 02

This was pretty bad.

I don't want to go into the whole manga vs. anime thing because it just makes me sadder and makes no sense for anyone unfamiliar with it. I'll just say that I've never minded changes made to the source material assuming they work, and they certainly don't here. The writing is inept and misses the point on all the characters, making them act in uncharacteristic ways, and their development feels contrived and hurried due to the messed up pacing. The best adaptations refine the work even as/if they give their own take on it, but this feels soulless as fuck. The best thing about it is the OP which still has the charm that drew me to the series in the first place.

The episode as a whole feels sluggish and boring, even as it speeds toward the conclusion of the arc. There's no sense of adventure due to said adventure being cut in half to accommodate the pace. Everything feels so abrupt thanks to the narrative needs of getting to point B from point A superseding stuff like sense of place or a good passage of time or just decent storytelling. Exposition mars whatever flow the episode gains; example:
when Alibaba arrives after 'dying,' there's no sudden escape, but rather an odd speech from Alibaba himself detailing just what happened. Clumsy shit.
We're getting the bones of the story and the bones are warped from the start. And to what point? Do we really need 12+ episodes of Balbadd at the cost of everything else?

Probably the most I've typed here in years. Feels bad man. I'll stick with this for now.

I agree with everything. It's really much worse than the original material, but even when not considering it, it feels bad enough. The character development was ruined.

Monochrome Factor 9 - 24
tumblr_mbw6wgGl3Q1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Finished it all, I think someone here suggested it or said Id like it, and it was really good. I guess the closest we'd ever get to some attempt at a mainstream bl supernatural action anime. The mix of action and magic really made this something special and enjoyable. Never getting to be super serious it threw in lots of good comedy regarding the characters and their interactions. Shirogane's undying love for Akira, Kengo consistently being obsessed, bugging, dumb, or even falling in love with Akira again, made me always laugh and wish they could truly come together. Haruka and Kou were also good with Kou serving as an excellent fighter and having the best transformation scene next to Akira. Second half really turned things up after moving on from Nanaya
was sad that he ended up dying, he was a hilarious and cool antagonist
. And I was and partially still am mindblown at the major reveal
Haruka being vaca and then with Hamurabi...didnt see that coming at all.
. Lots of good episodes, beach episode was hilarious especially when kengo tickled akira on the boat, the final big action moment was good too, and just about all of Akira's fights were fun, did like the way they drew characters in some chibi style consistently for comedy moments. Shin Akira > normal Akira 9.

NeonZ

SSO 27
the animation was pretty good but i felt like it was missing something given it was an umakoshi episode.

I guess the main issue is that there wasn't much dynamic action. The art was great and the animation good, but they really didn't do anything special with it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And this is why you always remember to take your own water to an expo.

And if you're doubly smart some sandwiches too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom