• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I checked my univ's anime club on a whim and their last screening was:

Yugioh 5D's
Cardfight Vanguard
a "surprise" show

o_O

Geneijin has invaded your university! Sounds like fun. I bet they're all playing card games while watching too.

Surprise show was definitely Aikatsu.

Defuser

Magi ep 2
Damn, they sure cut and changed alot of chapters for this episode. I guess the changes are fine but the cuts? Not acceptable.

Mandoric

Banned
Obviously the market just isn't there. Guess I'll have to put my plans for a London Maid Cafe on hold.

The market's never there when you're a) setting up in detroit, b) importing all your food from the nearby 7-11, c) trying to be a viable lunch spot for the locals rather than taking pampered nerds for every cent their parents have one $25 game of jenga at a time.

7Th

agirlbythesea.png
agirlbythesea.png

Every time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The market's never there when you're a) setting up in detroit, b) importing all your food from the nearby 7-11, c) trying to be a viable lunch spot for the locals rather than taking pampered nerds for every cent their parents have one $25 game of jenga at a time.

I see. So I should be charging money for the Jenga games. Clearly I have a long way to go before my dream of maids and baked beans becomes a reality.

BluWacky

in the spirit of "what does your uni anime club show now", current offerings from mine are:

Darker Than Black S1
Chihayafuru
Steins;Gate
Ouran
Gunslinger Girl
Random slot (a long held tradition)

Gunslinger Girl to be replaced by something else midway through the year.

The club certainly always used to have a very large female contingent so I'm glad to see them keeping up the "appeal to as many people as possible" tradition.

mAcOdIn

Ok, I think I've seen enough. I don't get this show's appeal. For one, the action is generally everyone walking around robotically shooting people seemingly in no hurry to fight back, it's not exciting. The episode where Revvy's on the ship just walking around capping people from room to room was just idiotic, what should have been a chaotic scene was just, well, boring because everyone just patiently waited in their rooms for her to come one by one and shoot them.

Everyone loves talking about everyone's ass. Everyone is going to shoot you a new asshole, it's like the only threat. When I finally got to a character with a knife/machette thing I thought "finally someone who's going to come up with a different threat" but then she just said something to the effect that she'd cut her a new ass or some shit. God damnit, there's so many other threatening things you can do to a person besides shooting, slicing or stabbing their fucking buttocks!

The dialog is generally painful to listen to, everyone is so full of themselves. The CIA guys talk about "protecting freedom" and shit like they're in a PR video, everyone waxes poetic and the cycle of life and death to each other, over and over, and Revvy and Rock, I can't even know how they come up with the shit they say to each other. The conversations make my ears bleed. "What kind of bullet are you, a hollow point, full metal jacket, blah, blah, no Rock, you're a silver bullet...." Just shut the fuck up already, you're not making any fucking sense.

And the OVA's, Roberta's Blood Stained Trail or whatever, who the fuck are all these comedic relief jokers?

I really don't get this show.

survivor

Banned
My university anime club is showing

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Little Busters
Sword Art Online
Psycho-Pass
Bakemonogatari

I wouldn't mind joining if that didn't mean going there every Saturday wasting 10 hours watching anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So how do these clubs work? They're basically just "getting" episodes and then gather people in a room to watch them?

Ok, I think I've seen enough. I don't get this show's appeal. For one, the action is generally everyone walking around robotically shooting people seemingly in no hurry to fight back, it's not exciting. The episode where Revvy's on the ship just walking around capping people from room to room was just idiotic, what should have been a chaotic scene was just, well, boring because everyone just patiently waited in their rooms for her to come one by one and shoot them.

Everyone loves talking about everyone's ass. Everyone is going to shoot you a new asshole, it's like the only threat. When I finally got to a character with a knife/machette thing I thought "finally someone who's going to come up with a different threat" but then she just said something to the effect that she'd cut her a new ass or some shit. God damnit, there's so many other threatening things you can do to a person besides shooting, slicing or stabbing their fucking buttocks!

The dialog is generally painful to listen to, everyone is so full of themselves. The CIA guys talk about "protecting freedom" and shit like they're in a PR video, everyone waxes poetic and the cycle of life and death to each other, over and over, and Revvy and Rock, I can't even know how they come up with the shit they say to each other. The conversations make my ears bleed. "What kind of bullet are you, a hollow point, full metal jacket, blah, blah, no Rock, you're a silver bullet...." Just shut the fuck up already, you're not making any fucking sense.

And the OVA's, Roberta's Blood Stained Trail or whatever, who the fuck are all these comedic relief jokers?

I really don't get this show.

That makes it sound worse than Jormungand. lol

survivor

Banned
So how do these clubs work? They're basically just "getting" episodes and then gather people in a room to watch them?
Looking at the website for mine, that seems about it. Gather every Saturday in one room and watch anime. There is also a preshow in the beginning, a half hour social break, and 2 hours of karaoke in between watching anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I found the Geek Societies forum. The anime section seems half dead and the nearest thing I can see to a screening in a Ghibli session from months ago.

Can't really criticise. I wasn't even into anime that much while I was at uni.

EDIT: Is this when we link to this video?

fertygo

Black Lagoon is easy to like, its insspired from a lot John Woo and other action movie.. and basically became "trope jungle", its just fun if you enjoy those kind of movie that full of asshole shooting each other, you know "style over substance" thing.
Jormungand literally BL without Madhouse's production value at its prime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well you can't go wrong with a spot of karaoke, but I'm going to guess they are not going to be belting of "My Way", but rather "Go my Way".

XD.

My co-teacher marked students incorrect for wrong English when in fact the kids were right. So when I told him "actually, the students are correct." he basically argued with me that he was right, except he did it in super broken English, adding insult to injury. He then basically told me I was wrong and didn't give the students points on their test.

The entire class of 15 year olds could see the cool rage on my face and ended up coming up to me after class to thank me for fighting. Fucking hell man. I love my kids but goddamn I hate that man. He's everything wrong with the system.

I've never understood the clueless arrogance that leads some Japanese people to assume they know English better than native English speakers, even when they have an at best tenuous grasp on the language. It boggles my mind.

Joe Molotov

PreCure All Stars New Stage - Friends of the Future

Error: CG dance ending buffer overflow! Your system has been locked to prevent damage due to too much AWESOME. Please contact your PreCure administrator if this error persists.

cajunator

Banned
No, dude, you are thinking about this backwards. School Days is not something anyone should be ashamed of.

Truth. School Days is a mark of pride. It is a step in life that any self disrespecting animu fan must take.

robotic;notes - 01

There was a time in my life when I would've totally dug Akiho's brand of genkiness, but watching Sora no Manimani scarred me for life and I am now unable to appreciate any sort of peppiness whatsoever. I stared too long at the sun; Kanae Itou's chipmunk-pitched voice still rings in my ears.

I'd enjoy this more if it was stripped of all the DIVERGENCE and time travel and roach-shaped alien girls and general srs-business bullshittery. Focus on the hobby robots, and the competitive aspect of it.

I love me some genki. I'm a bit that way myself. Everyone at work is practically dragging themselves out of their chairs and back home at the end of a shift, I jump up and run down the stairway. Where does the energy come from? Who the hell knows?

Go watch Angelic Layer. If you've seen it, go watch it... again. Lol.

One of my favorites. Works better as anime than a manga. It also doesn't suffer as much from Clamp proportions and other weird shit. Well not as much. Definitely recommended and it doesn't have a frustrating ending.

Well everybody knew this would happen. Detroit is not where I would set up such a risky business, or any business for that matter. The market isnt there. Why not try it in Hawaii, Seattle where there is a huge concentration of asians who might buy into it? Or at least find a more geeky part of the country.

in the spirit of "what does your uni anime club show now", current offerings from mine are:

Darker Than Black S1
Chihayafuru
Steins;Gate
Ouran
Gunslinger Girl
Random slot (a long held tradition)

Gunslinger Girl to be replaced by something else midway through the year.

The club certainly always used to have a very large female contingent so I'm glad to see them keeping up the "appeal to as many people as possible" tradition.

Good stuff. My anime club always showed a lot of classic stuff. Most of the members grew up with 80-90s anime and the club grew up with them from around 2000 on, and the anime coming out alongside it. Several of us had big collections and contributed different stuff. We even had a hand in setting up the local anime convention and bringing attention to the area. Anime is fairly popular in this little city. FYE actually seems to be expanding its anime display, not shrinking it for example.

Yeah basically people bring in dvds/blurays of what they have or licensed preview episodes of other stuff. I think the rules of displaying may have changed so permission might be needed to show certain things but Im not sure anymore. Companies used to send demo discs with a couple episodes of a show and the club got those free.

Joe Molotov

Well everybody knew this would happen. Detroit is not where I would set up such a risky business, or any business for that matter. The market isnt there. Why not try it in Hawaii, Seattle where there is a huge concentration of asians who might buy into it? Or at least find a more geeky part of the country.

I get the feeling their business plan started off something like "Hey, I really love anime and you know what would be awesome? A maid cafe!" and not like "Hey guys, I have this really good idea to make money..."

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I get the feeling their business plan started off something like "Hey, I really love anime and you know what would be awesome? A maid cafe!" and not like "Hey guys, I have this really good idea to make money..."

In the very pits of hell, there are still weeaboos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom