• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Do they have West Side Story-like interactions with the Chinese Culture Club?

*clicks fingers* *Bernstein music wails*

(to be sung to the tune of the first part of the Jet Song, because I couldn't think of anything beyond the first couple of verses)

When in Japan Club
You'd better know how
To make sure you eat gyoza
And not char siu bao

When in Japan Club
Your bros stay with you
But if cornered alone
Don't forget seppuku

/XX/

15 days to go, 50,000 left unfunded... it's going to be tough.
I think it is on good track, and the last days come with a little push (that, if possible, coupled with new offers and last opportunities for the stretch goals to make people go up on their pledges, could give it clearly an edge).

I think we're both in the unshippable group.

Guess we're the Usopps of AnimeGAF.
Usopp? Unshippable? That is not what many 'dōjin' told me!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Magi 02
KrD1S.jpg
I don't really have anything new to say about this I guess. This show has all the pieces to be intensely appealing to me, but each scene is handled extremely poorly and nothing winds up carrying much weight. This is kind of the worst fate imaginable for what's supposed to be an action show where each set piece is tense and it feels like danger is always looming, but Magi misses completely on that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tonari no Kabutsu-kun 03:

And finally, the plot thickens, albeit not without another weekly dose of absolutely great character interaction. I love this show.

Some random remarks, because I suck at parsing out romantic interactions for in-depth discussion:

I really thought that the delinquents were going to trash the chicken coop after their altercation with Haru in the hardware store. I can't believe they actually got roped into building it, hahah.

The "bottle pop" sound effect when Shizuku sees Haru shirtless was probably the funniest thing in the episode.

It took me until she was addressed by name to recognize Shizuku in her weekend clothes. She suddenly looked.......younger and smaller, somehow.

Japanese saws look really uncomfortable to use.

Emitan

Sora no Woto 10 and 11

This show is getting serious o:

I don't mind it getting heavier at all but considering how often the show brought me to tears when it was happy I don't know how I'll handle this.

I hope the roman didn't die :(

Jex

Magi - 02

This was pretty bad.

I don't want to go into the whole manga vs. anime thing because it just makes me sadder and makes no sense for anyone unfamiliar with it. I'll just say that I've never minded changes made to the source material assuming they work, and they certainly don't here. The writing is inept and misses the point on all the characters, making them act in uncharacteristic ways, and their development feels contrived and hurried due to the messed up pacing. The best adaptations refine the work even as/if they give their own take on it, but this feels soulless as fuck. The best thing about it is the OP which still has the charm that drew me to the series in the first place.

The episode as a whole feels sluggish and boring, even as it speeds toward the conclusion of the arc. There's no sense of adventure due to said adventure being cut in half to accommodate the pace. Everything feels so abrupt thanks to the narrative needs of getting to point B from point A superseding stuff like sense of place or a good passage of time or just decent storytelling. Exposition mars whatever flow the episode gains; example:
when Alibaba arrives after 'dying,' there's no sudden escape, but rather an odd speech from Alibaba himself detailing just what happened. Clumsy shit.
We're getting the bones of the story and the bones are warped from the start. And to what point? Do we really need 12+ episodes of Balbadd at the cost of everything else?

Probably the most I've typed here in years. Feels bad man. I'll stick with this for now.
Well, fuck then. That's very disappointing, especially considering that the production values are so high.

Magi 2

They're really doing a disservice to this series by rushing things. Alibaba's characterization is all wrong. It took A LOT longer for Aladdin to earn his respect, and their interactions just come off as cheap. I'm still liking what is being adapted well, but it's still a major disappointment for now.

I really would recommend everyone who is/plans to watch this to also read the first 31 chapters of the manga. I'm confident they can do Balbadd right, but their treatment of everything before it will likely be pretty poor, and not just from a "manga purism" point of view.

Jex

Everything will make sense once the Balbadd arc starts.

What different would that make? I mean, the idea of doing an adaptation of a manga is surely to get people into the manga, right? In that case it would make sense to actually introduce people to the world and characters properly as this is going to be a lot of people's first time with the property. Rushing the beginning is something you do in an FMA:B situation where the beginning has already been well covered elsewhere and you're looking to please fans of the manga.

Grzi

What different would that make? I mean, the idea of doing an adaptation of a manga is surely to get people into the manga, right? In that case it would make sense to actually introduce people to the world and characters properly as this is going to be a lot of people's first time with the property. Rushing the beginning is something you do in an FMA:B situation where the beginning has already been well covered elsewhere and you're looking to please fans of the manga.

There really isn't that much more world building in the manga during this arc, a lot more happens during the second arc (the Kouga arc) so we'll see how they handle that. It does seem that arc will also be two episodes, but they might do a better job.

Also, who knows, maybe they'll get back to some of the stuff when the Balbadd arc starts, they might have just switched things up a bit. The Balbadd arc is the first big arc and if something needs to suffer because of time restrictions or whatever, I'd rather it be the opening few arcs than the real meat of the story which happens in the Balbadd arc.

I really used the word arc a bit too much in this post, dammit :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

If you take too long introducing your characters in the anime before you get to the actual good stuff, you end up with Medaka Box.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 03

Another awesome episode!

Blondie getting popped in the mouth not once, but twice by Haru made my day.

Totally seeing SasayanxNatsume happening in the near future.

And it appears we're about to have our first trial with the arrival of Haru's brother. Already praying he doesn't try and steal Shizuku from Haru. ;_;

Narag

Magi 2

They're really doing a disservice to this series by rushing things. Alibaba's characterization is all wrong. It took A LOT longer for Aladdin to earn his respect, and their interactions just come off as cheap. I'm still liking what is being adapted well, but it's still a major disappointment for now.

I really would recommend everyone who is/plans to watch this to also read the first 31 chapters of the manga. I'm confident they can do Balbadd right, but their treatment of everything before it will likely be pretty poor, and not just from a "manga purism" point of view.

This is really sort of damning given how forgiving you can be. Again, it's a shame it's turning out like this, at least for now.

Jarmel

Banned
There really isn't that much more world building in the manga during this arc, a lot more happens during the second arc (the Kouga arc) so we'll see how they handle that. It does seem that arc will also be two episodes, but they might do a better job.

Also, who knows, maybe they'll get back to some of the stuff when the Balbadd arc starts, they might have just switched things up a bit. The Balbadd arc is the first big arc and if something needs to suffer because of time restrictions or whatever, I'd rather it be the opening few arcs than the real meat of the story which happens in the Balbadd arc.

It's Yoshida. Your expectations should be down through the floor.

So my anime club is watching No. 6

First episode seemed good. Does it remain so?

Depends, do you like yaoi?

Grzi

I have taken Magi off my to-watch list.

And replaced it with Code:Breaker.

You'll come back, I know you will.

It's Yoshida. Your expectations should be down through the floor.

I know, but still, I think it's hard for them to mess up Balbadd, it's obvious they want to get there as soon as possible so they must want it to turn out good, plus Ohtaka is involved so I think we have a reason to hope the anime really starts to shine after they go through these few opening arcs.

Geneijin

It's that line of thinking when I wonder if some adaptations fail because they don't care about the audience beyond the original manga fans.

Jex

So, after taking a peak at the opening of the manga I'm kind of shocked at how they adapted it. Rather than taking the normal option of following the manga closely or inventing something out of thin air they opted for a third option: take various scenes from the manga but randomly swap characters out and replace them with other characters meaning that the scenes no longer make sense. What?

Jarmel

Banned
So, after taking a peak at the opening of the manga I'm kind of shocked at how they adapted it. Rather than taking the normal option of following the manga closely or inventing something out of thin air they opted for a third option: take various scenes from the manga but randomly swap characters out and replace them with other characters meaning that the scenes no longer make sense. What?

Surprised someone hasn't come up with a gif that sums up Yoshida style writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom