• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I love cute but sometimes I just wanna see tits. Usually I just want cute though!

I cry a lot when I hear music and I feel like the ending was basically playing off that for me. I think this is one of the most personally moving endings I've ever seen for anything for me.

The OST for Sora no woto is GORGEOUS. One of my favorite soundtracks.

Branduil

I think it was the main character's little sister at first. Nope, turns out she's a teacher at the elementary school.

comes with her own stat sheet and everything!

ibztsbfq9Eaeqt.png

It's an amusing coincidence that Sora no Woto has been brought up on this page. If we are to believe the interview with the Aniplex producer of Magi where he stated that he chose its writer for his ability to bring out the historical setting, it must have been that show that got Hiroyuki Yoshino hired for the job, as its quasi-World War II Europe setting is the only work of his that at all fits that description, not to mention it's another A-1 Pictures production. So in a sense, Sora no Woto can be blamed for what has happened to Magi.

Thankfully things do get explained eventually.

Good to know.

Grzi

So I just found out ghostlightning won't be updating We Remember Love anymore.
Too bad, it was probably my favorite anime blog, the only one I visited regularly.

Jex

Infinite Ryvius 1

Intriguing, if somewhat confusing, start. The opening segment was rather slickly directed, and did a good job at setting up the main protagonist and his situation. That's a very good thing, because once we get into space it starts laying on the technobabble rather thick, and doesn't really stop to explain any of it. On the one hand, I like that everything feels natural and there's no awkward forced exposition; on the other hand, I don't really understand the situation beyond "Bad shit is going down on this space station." Not to mention that there's a mysterious girl randomly showing up and saying cryptic things. I can't say I mind all the mystery though; I understand enough to grasp the danger, and am curious to see the how and why of it elaborated later.

The Hisashi Hirai character designs do introduce an unnecessary layer of confusion, as since everyone shares the same face (with a weird-looking nose) it becomes difficult to distinguish between characters except by their hair.

The hip-hop soundtrack is weird, and certainly not what I'm used to hearing from this kind of space show, but it does give it a unique edge.
Episode two explains everything.

Well not everything, some things. Nothing can explain the soundtrack.

Jex

Too bad, it was probably my favorite anime blog, the only one I visited regularly.

As one might expect: real life ---> anime blogging.

Steroyd

Fun bags? More like air bags!

They make good exercise balls.

Magi

Morbid curiosity got the better of me, and I read the first volume of the manga, and wow what a disservice this adaptation is, while I did enjoy the first 2 episodes of Magi, there were some things that felt a bit off, and the actual dungeon crawling was butchered as hell in episode 2, I'm still going to watch the anime first, but I think I'll watch the corresponding chapters just to see it done "right".

Dresden

I am in a different place in my life right now where I derive less utility from hobbies compared to the crafts I am compensated for (business development, human resources, operations management, and entrepreneurship in general); and compared to playing with my 2-year old daughter and raising my lovely wife.

^

Somewhat of an odd phrasing, lol.

Narag

What about Moribito? I haven't seen it yet but thought I've seen Balsa come up here and there as a strong female character.

Grzi

I am in a different place in my life right now where I derive less utility from hobbies compared to the crafts I am compensated for (business development, human resources, operations management, and entrepreneurship in general); and compared to playing with my 2-year old daughter and raising my lovely wife.

^

Yeah, I thought that was pretty weird lol

Geneijin

^

Amazing.
Where's the anime

Nafe

Chiisana Ojisan or Tiny old man

littleoldman1.jpg

Picture courtesy of Wonzo

What a quirky little show. It's only thirty seconds per episode too. I think I'll be joining others such as firehawk, Wonzo and hossanainexcelsis in watching this show.

Wow, I totally forgot that Kobayashi was in that first episode. lol

Shame on you, forgetting about Yuu Kobayashi like that.

Next scene:

Oops I think they forgot to animate something.

I haven't read any of the manga yet but while the second picture's scene is right after the first, I didn't think it was that bad as I thought it was a scene change with a cutaway from one location to the next. In the first shot they were at the little side alcove where Aladdin and Alibaba were and the guy asked them to come along and then in the second shot they were further along in the dungeon faced with a trial/puzzle. I just saw it as a quick scene skip.

Even right at the beginning of the episode you see Aladdin on Ugo, a camera change and then another camera change with Aladdin suddenly on the ground. I don't recall hearing any sound effect to signify Ugo had returned to Aladdin's flute but I figured it was easy enough to figure out that's what happened. It kind of looked a little weird without having it animated but not really a big deal either.

Nafe - hitokage

this is my fav pairing, especially with hito as the uke.

Indeed, best pair.
No comment on the seme/uke thing.

Hitokage's coming back right? :(

Geneijin - 7Th

I...what?

Yeah, I didn't get this one either.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Unfortunately no!

She resembled and acted like Tsukimi to a T (she even recommended the show to me as well). So much that I tried to finish the show shortly after we broke up but I just couldn't do it.

;_;
I've found that watching manly anime after a breakup helps cure all my ills.

Narag

One Piece 49

No, god damn it. No more
Buggy
! Zoro's pretty conflicted too. He ought to post a thread on gaf.
Respect for Zoro not giving a fuck about a cursed sword either. What a boss.
Ep kinda sucked but him getting his swords got me pumped. :lol

jbug617

Banned
Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun 3

Haru is the best. I like how the show is animated, it's nothing sexy but just seems right. I wonder what the conflict is between
Haru and his brother

As usual, another beautiful boxset from NISA:

It does seem that it has locked English subtitles, though.

NISA is my favorite. Even though they don't get a lot of the shows, I like the way they treat each release. I have $5 off coupon at the NISA store so I will purchase this from them.

Emitan

Sora no Woto 13

"Je vais me marier avec Kanata" "To marry Kanata-neechan" Hahaha awwwww. I love how everyone loves Kanata. She's such a sweetheart. Poor Seiya though.

This episode is reminding me of NieR. Dreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdream

One Piece 49

No, god damn it. No more
Buggy

After Loguetown arc you won't see Buggy for a while.

Nafe

Edit:

First icarus, now you. Only DTL can explain this madness.

I saw your edit.
I didn't forget about you :(
In fact, I remember you were one of the first ones to welcome me. I said Hitokage would probably notice my Sailor Venus avatar right away and your first reply was "I like the cut of your jib". I also know you're the threads go to guy as far as headphones are related. I didn't forget.

I started reading the AnimeGaf thread around the end of March, start of April last year so maybe that wasn't far enough back. I didn't get to read some messages and had to skip when the thread was moving at like 20 pages a day too, so I could have missed it there.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One Piece 49

No, god damn it. No more
Buggy

Wait, Buggy is still around? Sorry Grzi, as of right now I'm breaking our contract.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He's right, though.

Right on Giant Robo, right on Black Lagoon, right for animeGAF, right for America. MaCoDiN 2012.
What's this shit about a democracy, again? AnimeGAF's wanton depravity can only be fixed through the swift yet firm decisiveness of a charismatic yet wise autocratic figure.

Sieg Neue Reich! Down with the mods that oppressed us for eons! Long live the Jexhius dynasty!

Steroyd

He still shows up in every single OP, though.

Everyone pops up in every single OP though, almost like subliminal memory imprinting so we remember them when they pop up... and yet they still do a cut and paste montage of scenes from past episodes when they re-appear.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sukitte ii ya no 02:

Man, bullies can die in a fire. Yamato, however, is the sutekiest of the suteki. Mister Perfect. Hell, I'd probably let him kiss me.
if there was a plate of karaoke joint chicken in the bargain

After this episode, I can safely say that I'm really enjoying this. It's a pretty good counterpoint to Kaibutsu-kun this season with its moodier, pulpier, more strife-ridden brand of shoujo romance.

So, I did say that this show is like
Inbetweeners
or Skins and I eagerly await the next few episodes. If they pull it off right, this is basically the anti-KnT that shows the other strength that shoujo has - realism.

Hype it up man. HYPE IT UP.

Shame on you, forgetting about Yuu Kobayashi like that.
I feel ashamed. lol

Don't trust mAc on Black Lagoon!
But mAc is the authority on soldiers and guns and whatnot!

Sora no Woto 13

"Je vais me marier avec Kanata" "To marry Kanata-neechan" Hahaha awwwww. I love how everyone loves Kanata. She's such a sweetheart. Poor Seiya though.

This episode is reminding me of NieR. Dreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdream

I missed your reaction to episode 7. What did you think of that #gamechanger?

Also, 13 had the instrumental version of Servante de feu, which I wish they included in the OST.

cajunator

Banned
guys what anime features strong independent women that is not utena?

Gun Smith Cats
Iria: Zeiram the animation
Burnup W
You're Under arrest
(a bunch of 90's OVAs with ass kicking female leads)

I already said Kino's Journey!
But it needs to be said more, until it sinks deep into everyone's mind.

Everyone should watch Kino's Journey. Its a pretty unique anime experience (in a very good way)

As usual, another beautiful boxset from NISA:

It does seem that it has locked English subtitles, though.

Preordered so very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom