• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

So, after taking a peak at the opening of the manga I'm kind of shocked at how they adapted it. Rather than taking the normal option of following the manga closely or inventing something out of thin air they opted for a third option: take various scenes from the manga but randomly swap characters out and replace them with other characters meaning that the scenes no longer make sense. What?

They combined the first two chapters into a single story so they fit into one episode. Since we knew they were going to rush the beginning that was probably the only way for them to do it and they didn't do a bad job.

Jex

There really isn't that much more world building in the manga during this arc, a lot more happens during the second arc (the Kouga arc) so we'll see how they handle that. It does seem that arc will also be two episodes, but they might do a better job.

Also, who knows, maybe they'll get back to some of the stuff when the Balbadd arc starts, they might have just switched things up a bit. The Balbadd arc is the first big arc and if something needs to suffer because of time restrictions or whatever, I'd rather it be the opening few arcs than the real meat of the story which happens in the Balbadd arc.

I really used the word arc a bit too much in this post, dammit :(
If you take too long introducing your characters in the anime before you get to the actual good stuff, you end up with Medaka Box.
I don't buy into this line of thinking because it implies that 'plot' is more important than characters, which clearly doesn't make any sense because why would you bother following the 'plot' of a story if you didn't care for the characters? That's completely the wrong way round.

Infinite Ryvius 1

Intriguing, if somewhat confusing, start. The opening segment was rather slickly directed, and did a good job at setting up the main protagonist and his situation. That's a very good thing, because once we get into space it starts laying on the technobabble rather thick, and doesn't really stop to explain any of it. On the one hand, I like that everything feels natural and there's no awkward forced exposition; on the other hand, I don't really understand the situation beyond "Bad shit is going down on this space station." Not to mention that there's a mysterious girl randomly showing up and saying cryptic things. I can't say I mind all the mystery though; I understand enough to grasp the danger, and am curious to see the how and why of it elaborated later.

The Hisashi Hirai character designs do introduce an unnecessary layer of confusion, as since everyone shares the same face (with a weird-looking nose) it becomes difficult to distinguish between characters except by their hair.

The hip-hop soundtrack is weird, and certainly not what I'm used to hearing from this kind of space show, but it does give it a unique edge.

Grzi

I don't buy into this line of thinking because it implies that 'plot' is more important than characters, which clearly doesn't make any sense because why would you bother following the 'plot' of a story if you didn't care for the characters? That's completely the wrong way round.

They can take care of the characters just fine later, there really isn't that much characterization besides the typical shounen motivations going on in the first few chapters in the manga anyway.

my little monster 3

loving this show. Love the faces.

qt.jpg

<3

When did Haru get so much swag? Did his hair get longer in 1 eps?

They combined the first two chapters into a single story so they fit into one episode. Since we knew they were going to rush the beginning that was probably the only way for them to do it and they didn't do a bad job.

I don't think "lack of time" is an acceptable excuse for a weak adaptation.

Either do it right or not at all.

Grzi

I don't think "lack of time" is an acceptable excuse for a weak adaptation.

Either do it right or not at all.

I'm sure that if they could make a show that's 31 or 32 episodes long they would do it, but since they have two cours to work with, I'd say it is at least a partially acceptable excuse.

Geneijin

I'm sure that if they could make a show that's 31 or 32 episodes long they would do it, but since they have two cours to work with, I'd say it is at least a partially acceptable excuse.
It demonstrates a lack of forethought and planning than any somewhat acceptable excuse personally.

wonzo

Banned
By that point you stop questioning anything in that series.
That's pretty much Medaka Box in a nutshell really and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm just guessing Balbadd is better.
But the Balbadd arc is amazing, and that's where the world really starts to shine.
I'd say the Kouga arc is much more important than the Dungeon Arc.

Yes, Balbadd is fantastic but it doesn't really justify just how sloppy this adaptation has been. The first chapter would've made the perfect introductory episode if this was handled more faithfully to the source material.

no

no more

you can't

NO MORE
The PM has been sent. There is no turning back.

Grzi

It demonstrates a lack of forethought and planning than any somewhat acceptable excuse personally.

No, it shows that they plan to focus on the biggest arc in the series so far and plan to do it justice by giving it plenty of time and also that they realized that there's not a whole lot of important characterization or world building going on in the first arc.

Narag

No, it shows that they plan to focus on the biggest arc in the series so far and plan to do it justice by giving it plenty of time and also that they realized that there's not a whole lot of important characterization or world building going on in the first arc.

This sounds like a "for manga fans only" sort of thing if they can't engage the audience early on. The folk looking forward to that arc already know what happens so have reason to look ahead at least.

Dresden

This sounds like a "for manga fans only" sort of thing if they can't engage the audience early on. The folk looking forward to that arc already know what happens so have reason to look ahead at least.

And even the manga fans are dissatisfied because the way they're handling it robs any weight from the adaptation.

In short: f u yoshino

Jarmel

Banned

Then why don't they add or change details then? It's not like they have to do it 1:1. I mean the first FMA added tons of shit for world-building purposes.

Which means that the Magi anime is a failure, since the whole point of having an adaptation like this airing on a high-profile timeslot is to attract new fans and boost the manga sales.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sukitte ii ya no 02:

Man, bullies can die in a fire. Yamato, however, is the sutekiest of the suteki. Mister Perfect. Hell, I'd probably let him kiss me.
if there was a plate of karaoke joint chicken in the bargain

After this episode, I can safely say that I'm really enjoying this. It's a pretty good counterpoint to Kaibutsu-kun this season with its moodier, pulpier, more strife-ridden brand of shoujo romance.

Doesn't make me, some one who rarely if ever reads manga, want to watch it though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't watched anime for more than 2+ Weeks. That's why I haven't even been in this thread very much :(

Dresden

Like, 'worldbuilding' is a term that gets abused heavily by nerds to defend clumsy infodumping and exposition, and I don't think Magi (as an anime) has been lacking on that end outside of the hastened introduction to the existence of dungeons. The problem lies with the lack of understanding re: how these characters work. The writers have no idea just why these characters do the things they do, and as a result all the developments they go through feel contrived, as if they're just speeding through tiers with no build-up in between.

Another peeve with episode two would be that they cut out all the fun stuff. You can't have adventure when you completely cut out the adventure.

Grzi

Then why don't they add or change details then? It's not like they have to do it 1:1. I mean the first FMA added tons of shit for world-building purposes.

I'm guessing it's Ohtaka who doesn't want them to.
Or it's simply Yoshino's fault.

This is really sort of damning given how forgiving you can be. Again, it's a shame it's turning out like this, at least for now.

To be fair, I might be more forgiving had I not read the manga. I'm biased since Magi is one of my current favorites, and to see it treated like this is a disappointment.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Magi ep2

I thought this episode was going to be bad based on everyone's impressions, but I liked it more than the first...

So my anime club is watching No. 6

First episode seemed good. Does it remain so?
Honestly I thought that the first two episodes were pretty good. It kinda goes downhill afterwards though.

From the New World 1 and 2

You know I would like the series a lot better if it wasn't in a school setting. There's a lot of interesting lore scattered around the school in episode 2, which is why I decided to give the show a chance after feeling bored by the first episode.

As of now, I'll keep watching.

cajunator

Banned
I kinda miss that show now. It was silly.

Manabi Straight, right?

The last thing you see before you die.

I would be ok with this end.

This should really be in the OP from now on.

I'm busy with Utena and Sora no Woto

Great choices. don't bother with Qwaser.

Sora no Woto 12

Oh gosh the feels ;~;

Fucking lost it during the credits.

Yeah it had a pretty good ending. For a show that started out so silly the ending might be a bit unexpected.

Branduil

Infinite Ryvius 1

Intriguing, if somewhat confusing, start. The opening segment was rather slickly directed, and did a good job at setting up the main protagonist and his situation. That's a very good thing, because once we get into space it starts laying on the technobabble rather thick, and doesn't really stop to explain any of it. On the one hand, I like that everything feels natural and there's no awkward forced exposition; on the other hand, I don't really understand the situation beyond "Bad shit is going down on this space station." Not to mention that there's a mysterious girl randomly showing up and saying cryptic things. I can't say I mind all the mystery though; I understand enough to grasp the danger, and am curious to see the how and why of it elaborated later.

The Hisashi Hirai character designs do introduce an unnecessary layer of confusion, as since everyone shares the same face (with a weird-looking nose) it becomes difficult to distinguish between characters except by their hair.

The hip-hop soundtrack is weird, and certainly not what I'm used to hearing from this kind of space show, but it does give it a unique edge.

Thankfully things do get explained eventually.

Emitan

Great choices. don't bother with Qwaser.
I love cute but sometimes I just wanna see tits. Usually I just want cute though!

Yeah it had a pretty good ending. For a show that started out so silly the ending might be a bit unexpected.

I cry a lot when I hear music and I feel like the ending was basically playing off that for me. I think this is one of the most personally moving endings I've ever seen for anything for me.

Narag

Gintama 49

Fumihiko Tachiki and a gambling theme? Should have watched Kaiji instead.

Gin was so badass in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom