• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I saw Blood C mentioned there, so now I'm interested.

Though I'm still worried about how they will handle the female MC.

duckroll

I just realized that the entire PV doesn't feature Yayoi at all. Poor dresden. :(

Edit: Oh wait, she's in a single shot in the background around 0:20, on the helicopter! (lol)

Jex

I saw Blood C mentioned there, so now I'm interested.

Though I'm still worried about how they will handle the female MC.

The best part about the trailer is that they try and get you hyped by mentioning The Last Dark. I guess it is very recent, but still I've never thought of it as a popular work.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 13
So, every anime should be a BL anime?

Yes please, Id finally get my mainstream battle BL anime.

How can anyone not like Chiyu?

Cause she makes haru not Direct Link with Taku up close.

「PSYCHO‐PASS サイコパス」第2弾PV - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_A_wsT5WQE

tumblr_mb43beowUI1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Amazing. Definitely the best and the song in the trailer was great. Cant wait for episode 1.

duckroll

The best part about the trailer is that they try and get you hyped by mentioning The Last Dark. I guess it is very recent, but still I've never thought of it as a popular work.

It's more popular than Tokyo Marble Chocolate, which is the only other thing Shiotani has directed.

Jex

Latest update from Shit Ann Says:

Ever been watching a show that has everything going for it and yet somehow just left you kinda “meh?” That's Natsuyuki Rendezvous. A strong second half eventually rescues it, but the meh-ness haunts it to the end.
???

duckroll

One thing struck me is how awesome the gunshots effects are and the glow from the guns. It's really well animated.

Well they've been saying since the start that the gun is a major element in the show, and can be viewed as a character in itself. So it's nice to see that they're also focusing on making it look and feel visually unique.

/XX/

when did to love ru come back? i knew it got cancelled about the authors wife cheating or something
After that, Mr. Yabuki's commenced To LOVEru Darkness to probably avoid featuring as a protagonist a character like Haruna Sairenji anymore, that was apparently based/inspired on his ex-wife. He obtained the legal custody of his 6-years-old daughter after all the drama caused by "kidnappings, money demands" and such.

He is proud of his daughter precocious drawing style, as said recently she is starting to imitate the way he draws...
eyes.

Jex

I shouldn't really quote in isolation. Full paragraph:

And yet, still: meh. The reason is pretty simple. The series is something of a chamber play, an intensely focused romantic drama with a cast of essentially three. Four if you count Shimao's sister, though she's given so little to do that that's stretching. That kind of focus isn't a bad thing—except when you don't much care for the people in question. We're told Hazuki is a sensitive young man, but he's given to acting like a possessive ass, and treats tortured Shimao like he's dung. We're told Shimao was a gentle yet passionate artist, but mostly he's a petulant child—with occasional flashes of possessive assness. This isn't the messiness of real-life people either; more the messiness of characters whose personalities change at the plot's convenience. As for Rokka, she's an adorable nonentity, given little to do but provide something attractive for the men to fight over.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
BokuTomo 13:

Yeah, everyone sans Kodaka are pretty fucked up in the head. Mostly Yozora though. Queen bitch is still queen bitch. Also, Meat totally swings both ways. And I'm SO okay with that! :D

Rika's ending was indeed pretty awesome though.

「PSYCHO‐PASS サイコパス」第2弾PV - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_A_wsT5WQE

Minority Report: the anime. I'm okay with this.

BluWacky

ANN said:
As for Rokka, she's an adorable nonentity, given little to do but provide something attractive for the men to fight over.

This, in particular, suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the show, which is almost entirely about Rokka from my perspective.

I would like to get wound up over the use of "meh", but I've used the word often enough to describe my reaction to anime so I suppose I can't complain.

While I should hold a website like ANN to a higher journalistic/literary/whatever standard, perhaps, than your average blog, the reviews are never of a good enough standard to warrant it. Even the ones I agree with!

RurouniZel

im not really seeing any parallels with minority report

From the synopsis it seems to be about a future world where criminals are arrested before they ever commit crimes or whatever. The details are different, but the premise is very similar.

Uchip

Banned
From the synopsis it seems to be about a future world where criminals are arrested before they ever commit crimes or whatever. The details are different, but the premise is very similar.

ah
well that makes more sense
I just hope they dont call it the department of pre-crime

duckroll

I should probably clarify (although this is obvious if anyone bothered to read the blurb in the OP!) that Psycho-Pass is not about a "pre-crime" unit like in Minority Report. They are not out to catch people before they commit crimes. That's not what the show is about.

The -system- exists to identify potential offenders, and this system is in place throughout all of society. There are scanners at street corners, patrol robots scanning people in the streets, etc. Potential offenders are indeed "removed from society", but that is not the job of the criminal investigation unit.

The detectives in Psycho-Pass are actual detectives. They investigate actual crime which has been committed, and they go after actual criminals and take them down. Simply having a system that identifies potential criminals does not actually stop crime. Because crime still occurs, obviously the system is imperfect. But it still needs to be dealt with.

What the system then does is that it suggests that the best people in a position to catch criminals would be those who can understand the criminal mind. This would mean people who have not committed any crimes, but have been identified as potential criminals by the system. Some are offered a deal to become detectives in the criminal investigation department, in exchange for their freedom. They are the enforcers. The "hounds" which do the dirty work.

To ensure that these "dangerous" collaborators are kept in check, the system also selects and assigns those found to have the most elite potentials in society to take a career path as intendants in the same department. Their job is the lead and manage the enforcers, and making sure that if they ever go out of line they are taken down. They hold the leash on the hounds.

I should probably clarify (although this is obvious if anyone bothered to read the blurb in the OP!) that Psycho-Pass is not about a "pre-crime" unit like in Minority Report. They are not out to catch people before they commit crimes. That's not what the show is about.

The -system- exists to identify potential offenders, and this system is in place throughout all of society. There are scanners at street corners, patrol robots scanning people in the streets, etc. Potential offenders are indeed "removed from society", but that is not the job of the criminal investigation unit.

The detectives in Psycho-Pass are actual detectives. They investigate actual crime which has been committed, and they go after actual criminals and take them down. Simply having a system that identifies potential criminals does not actually stop crime. Because crime still occurs, obviously the system is imperfect. But it still needs to be dealt with.

What the system then does is that it suggests that the best people in a position to catch criminals would be those who can understand the criminal mind. This would mean people who have not committed any crimes, but have been identified as potential criminals by the system. Some are offered a deal to become detectives in the criminal investigation department, in exchange for their freedom. They are the enforcers. The "hounds" which do the dirty work.

To ensure that these "dangerous" collaborators are kept in check, the system also selects and assigns those found to have the most elite potentials in society to take a career path as intendants in the same department. Their job is the lead and manage the enforcers, and making sure that if they ever go out of line they are taken down. They hold the leash on the hounds.

God I love this premise. Nnnnngh.

Also, finally watched the first episode of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled. As someone who really didn't like the original two seasons, I was shocked by just how much I dug this. It's much closer to the tone I had expected from CG at the beginning, and as usual everything looks and sounds great.

I'm totally fine with the CG mechs and was really impressed with the feeling of speed throughout the battles.

Just a pleasant surprise overall.

RurouniZel

Ah okay. I guess I just misunderstood the premise. Thanks for the clarification.

OceanBlue

that looks pretty neat!

though I hope Akane is not your typical clumsy newcomer.

She'll be the typical clumsy, good-hearted newcomer with a strong sense of justice who, once she sees some of the corruption or injustice that goes on, will attempt to change the status quo and change the minds of her coworkers. lol

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I hope this is good.

She'll be the typical clumsy, good-hearted newcomer with a strong sense of justice who, once she sees some of the corruption or injustice that goes on, will attempt to change the status quo and change the minds of her coworkers. lol

a classical story of a healing-type writer.

OceanBlue

a classical story of a healing-type writer.

It's the type of role that allows the main character to be somewhat important even without really needing to do anything. The girl can be an important character, while still leaving most of the spotlight for the guys to look cool! :D

duckroll

It's the type of role that allows the main character to be somewhat important even without really needing to do anything. The girl can be an important character, while still leaving most of the spotlight for the guys to look cool! :D

I have it on good authority that Akane does in fact do something in the first two episodes.
She takes a shower.

Code Geass: Akito of the Exile 01

The music was horrible. I'm not very articulate so that's the best I can explain my thoughts of the episode. Nothing special so far, the setting is ok but the constant looking at Elevens make it sound like they are the only subjugated people in the entire CG universe, which I'm not sure is the case. I don't like the CG, and I didn't like the first fight scene. Was too frantic and not all that exiting seeing constant explosions. Character designs are not great, but not too offensive either.
I don't know why everyone and their dog has a Geass, CC must've been handing em out like crazy.

All in all, it was superbly average, but the music was horrendous.

Maedhros

That doesn't make sense. Lots of people in AnimeGAF love Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero.

Yeah, the show who will get the hate will probably be Magi.

I don't even understand how can people hate Madoka... outside the head tilts, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom