• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Accel World 03:

So there's this side of the show too, of course.

images may not actually be arranged in chronological order

Obligatory runintotheground.gif:

ibf27wdSRd7nV6.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shouldn't she be in a coma?

Wouldn't even survive long enough to drift off into unconsciousness. SPLAT and it's done.

I imagine Chiyu feels more run into the ground than any Haru fat joke.

You're late to the party. What gives?

duckroll asked me to after reading my reaction to SAO 15. I guess I'm officially a Kawahara acolyte now.

Jex

Or he just doesn't have much experience with shows like this, thus making it seem fresh to him. I mean, comparing an incredibly standard setup like "popular female" to Utena alone makes me think that.

Hmm? That was just one of many possible examples. See also: Brother Dear Brother. I didn't imply that the set-up was unique, I was simply illustrating how the two very halves of the show intersect in a rather odd way.

Mandoric

Banned
Not enough for them to ever want to make more I assume? Whatever happened with Joshiraku?

3750 is below that line. Joshiraku did slightly better, but
:siren DISCLAIMER I HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH KING RECORDS/STARCHILD :siren
SZS was okay, but nothing to nipah about at 5000-6000. It wasn't as dire as it was presented or it never would have hit S2 nvm S3+ovas, but it def could've done better--it's the worst-selling Shaft nonbomba.
The shift to JC Staff could have been based on workload with Shaft on movies all summer, but even still I really doubt Shaft lost on budget. Meaning, the "Kumeta shows don't sell" evidence is just mounting here and going back to the SZS well won't make budgets lok better.

Jex

For those still undecided on Codel:Breaker, I suppose you could say it's like Sukeban Deka + Death Note.

Grzi

Angel Densetsu

A two episode OVA about a nice guy with a face of a bad guy so everybody is quick to assume he's the worst human being on the planet.
I honestly thought this was going to be a bit more fun, at first I felt really sorry for the guy, then it was funny for a moment, then the same thing got repeated over and over and then the second episode ended.
Pretty average, too bad, could have been good.

Jex

[Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun] - 3

This episode, undeniably, looked a lot a lot cheaper than the last two. It's pretty hard to miss some of the more familiar and well known cost-cutting techniques on display here. For example, in a number of scenes when the characters were talking or moving or just doing something that might require animators to draw something they cut away to a still like this and carried on playing the audio:

Tonari31.jpg

Tonari32.jpg

Riveting. This isn't particularly shocking though, most shows tend to decline in visual quality somewhat after their opening because the opening is designed to hook you in where as once you a few episodes in they don't need to work quite as hard. I doubt ratio-kun was very pleased, but honestly it didn't bother me in the slightest.

This might be my favourite episode of the series, an opinion I doubt is shared by many. For example, I enjoyed how most of the elements in this episode felt slightly more grounded than usual. More importantly, this episode focuses in very on a small handful of days and let us observe a gang of quirky characters interact with each other over that time. It feels like the show has fallen into a strong rhythm now and they no longer need to rush over large stretches of time.

Also is this set of steps:

Tonari33.jpg

The same as this set of steps from Kimagurae Orange Road

KOR.png

or am I just going senile? I guess it's a pretty bad sign if you can start recognising individual locations in Japan that aren't really obvious landmarks like skyscrapers.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
[Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun] - 3

This episode, undeniably, looked a lot a lot cheaper than the last two. It's pretty hard to miss some of the more familiar and well known cost-cutting techniques on display here. For example, in a number of scenes when the characters were talking or moving or just doing something that might require animators to draw something they cut away to a still like this and carried on playing the audio:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Tonari31.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Tonari32.jpg[IMG]

Riveting. This isn't particularly shocking though, most shows tend to decline in visual quality somewhat after their opening because the opening is designed to hook you in where as once you a few episodes in they don't need to work quite as hard. I doubt ratio-kun was very pleased, but honestly it didn't bother me in the slightest.

This might be my favourite episode of the series, an opinion I doubt is shared by many. For example, I enjoyed how most of the elements in this episode felt slightly more grounded than usual. More importantly, this episode focuses in very on a small handful of days and let us observe a gang of quirky characters interact with each other over that time. It feels like the show has fallen into a strong rhythm now and they no longer need to rush over large stretches of time.

Also is this set of steps:

[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Tonari33.jpg[/MG]

The same as this set of steps from [B]Kimagurae Orange Road[/B]

[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/KOR.png[/MG]

or [B]am I just going senile?[/B] I guess it's a pretty bad sign if you can start recognising individual locations in Japan that aren't really obvious landmarks like skyscrapers.[/QUOTE]
from the fact you like Code;Breaker, the answer is sadly yes.

Maedhros

Angel Densetsu

A two episode OVA about a nice guy with a face of a bad guy so everybody is quick to assume he's the worst human being on the planet.
I honestly thought this was going to be a bit more fun, at first I felt really sorry for the guy, then it was funny for a moment, then the same thing got repeated over and over and then the second episode ended.
Pretty average, too bad, could have been good.

The manga is one million times better.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Accel World 04:

Oh man, everything about that
confession
was just :lol :lol Does the writing ever show any sort of restraint? Does the wish fulfillment ever taper off in shamefulness? I certainly hope not.

And wow at that ending, even if
I figured Taku was Cyan Pile the second that the whole "backdoor" thing came into play
. This is actually kind of suspenseful and exciting! What's wrong with me?

cajunator

Banned
Accel World 02:

Brain Burst is AWESOME, and I haven't even gotten to the truly sakuga moments yet. This stuff deeply scratches my action itch.

Still, about the nature of the game itself, lol.

So some anonymous person is smarter than the world's best scientists and has discovered a way to use cyberbrain (or whatever AW's equivalent is called) technology to accelerate human sensory perception to godlike levels and they decide to integrate it into some kind of illicit underground fighting game? Sorry, mankind, no transcendence for you. The entire scenario is vaguely........Kayaba-esque.

Even in this ridiculous context, I suppose the concept of people being forced to constantly fight each other in order to retain superhuman abilities is kind of cool.

Kuroyukihime is ULTIMATE WISH FULFILLMENT. Asuna who? And yet, because Accel World and its characters are actually fun, all of this is so much more tolerable.
Kuroyukihime is pretty bueno anyway, especially with that crazy-ass butterfly costume, so I'm biased.

Am I a bad person if I'm legit enjoying the show so far?

Hell no you're not bad for liking it. It might be bad, but at least its interesting and has characters with more depth than cardboard.
Plus, KYH is super cute and you might wish to buy a figure of her:
http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig20/10201312a.jpg

The use of dramatic pieces of music in Planetes are really well done, sets the mood perfectly.

Another show where the music definitely helps the atmosphere. But Planetes is just a great show period. Glad you have enjoyed it!

Accel World 03:

So there's this side of the show too, of course.

images may not actually be arranged in chronological order

Yeah, Chiyu is probably the worst girl. Cute, but nevertheless the worst.
She does some aggravating shit throughout.

Accel World 04:

Oh man, everything about that
confession
was just :lol :lol Does the writing ever show any sort of restraint? Does the wish fulfillment ever taper off in shamefulness? I certainly hope not.

And wow at that ending, even if
I figured Taku was Cyan Pile the second that the whole "backdoor" thing came into play
. This is actually kind of suspenseful and exciting! What's wrong with me?

You're just enjoying the superior show is all.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hidamari Sketch x365 - 12 [END]

Sae and Hiro
getting into an argument? What is this nonsense?!

They made up in the end though so everything is well. :D

Yuno's
playfight with herself at the end was 'hnnng' worthy.

Season 2 down! Will watch the specials and proceed to season 3 once I have finished the second season of Koihime Musou. Back to the land of genderflips and yuri!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom