• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jormungand: Perfect Order 1

kTjlF.jpg

Yeah, this is still the same old Jormungand. Everything's still in place: the ugliness, the cool soundtrack, the nonsense operations, the millions of characters you can't possibly name without a Wiki guide... And even the secret ingredient that makes me enjoy all of this.

I don't remember anything about
Koko launching rockets, and I don't even recall what's her exact relationship with her father. I don't understand what the traitor guy is trying to accomplish, and the way they undermined the conflict between Valmet and Karen was extremely awkward. Also, I don't know who Hex is supposed to be and what are her relationships with any of the remaining characters. I just know that she's sexy, I guess.

Now that I think of it, it's so weird that I've watched 13 episodes of this and still have no idea of what's going on.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

firehawk12

Subete no aware
:clouds

Such an awful movie.

::tears down his Shinkai posters and throws them into the trash::
Do you want to go on a journey to learn how to say goodbye to them? I promise I won't
betray you or anything
. Really.

Gintama Jump Festa 2005 Special
Kidou Senshi Gintama? If only. I'm surprised how much of this ended up in the early part of the anime. It's good but the humor reminds me, again, of the earlier anime episodes. TV spoofs weren't bad either. I can't help but think this is watched sooner rather than later as the better Gintama episodes leave this feeling lackluster by comparison.
Didn't they reuse this in an episode anyway? I know they reused the second special they made.

Anime News Network is having another contest, this time for copies of NISA's release of Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. How do you enter? Submit a question about the show for an upcoming interview with none other than AKIYUKI SHINBO.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/cont...rl-ask-and-win
"Are you a real person?"
"How much ramen does it take to make an episode?"
"How many versions of Madoka will you make?"

Yeah, this is still the same old Jormungand. Everything's still in place: the ugliness, the cool soundtrack, the nonsense operations, the millions of characters you can't possibly name without a Wiki guide... And even the secret ingredient that makes em enjoy all of this.

I don't remember anything about
Koko launching rockets, and I don't even recall what's her exact relationship with her father. I don't understand what the traitor guy is trying to accomplish, and the way they undermined the conflict between Valmet and Karen was extremely awkward. Also, I don't know who Hex is supposed to be and what are her relationships with any of the remaining characters. I just know that she's sexy, I guess.

Now that I think of it, it's so weird that I've watched 13 episodes of this and still have no idea of what's going on.
The CIA want to watch her because she's dangerous. Or something. lol

I mean, she's Koko and she's loco, so it makes perfect sense!

Didn't they reuse this in an episode anyway? I know they reused the second special they made.

They basically reused the entire viewing festival bit for episode 125 but I kept and still keep thinking that it was in an earlier episode despite all my reviewing proves otherwise!

SDBurton

I own most of 0verflow's games.
They've made some good stuff, although School Days is still my favorite.

Were their games before School Days
just as crazy or was that the point where they were like "Hey, let's do something 'different'."

Nafe

Tiff is unbanned? I thought it was a perma.

Yeah, when Bishoptl responded something like "Save your straw men arguments for another forum" and then Tiff was banned, I took it as a permanent. Apparently it was a couple of months.

Australian time zones are a bitch. The thread is dead when I am awake and there are like 20 new pages while I sleep so I never feel like posting. I'll be home for summer break in a week though so I'll probably post more then.

Ah that's right, you live in Australia. Well, if you get more time, that would be great if you could get the chance to post more.

There have been many more who have bailed on the thread after a short stint here as well. I only remember because I see them around on Gaming side and whatnot.

Of course, there are people who have anime avatars that must watch crappy anime like the rest of us. :p

I can say that zeroshiki is basically trying to find a job at the moment, so he's busy doing that if he hasn't done that already.
(Turns out being an IT slave for a Japanese bank isn't a great job. Who knew. lol)

Yeah, I figured it would be quite a list if I mentioned everybody by name. Like you said, there are also many posters with anime avatars and who are keeping up with current shows but don't post here in the thread.

Ah, so that's what Zeroshiki's up to huh? Hopefully he gets a good job. It would be nice if he could come back and post here in the thread more often again.

Chet's also created art for at least four OTs, if you didn't know. And it all looks fantastic.

Hm, didn't realize Chet drew as many page openers as he did.

Chet's pretty amazing. He's made several of my avatars~

Didn't know he drew any of your avatars, I just knew that he drew his own.

So the post about the new Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo reminded me to watch it, where I made an observation:
http://i.imgur.com/tyUbS.jpg[IMG] = [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hsXJ6.png[IMG]

I almost thought she was Akane from Smile Precure, but I guess there are a couple of newbies who specialize in Kansai accents. (Well, more likely, they just have those accents given how much range the typical voice actress in Japan seems to have :p)

I think I'm closer to becoming full weeaboo when I can recognize actresses based on the accent they have though. Fuck. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, for [B]Chihayafuru[/B], Arata's seiyuu's name is [B]Yoshimasa Hosoya[/B]. When watching [B]Sakamachi no Apollon[/B] or [B]Kids on the Slope[/B] and hearing Sentarou first speak, I initially recognized it as Yoshiyama not by his voice but by his accent. I have a pretty good ear for seiyuu's though so usually I pick up on just the voice.

I can recognize many seiyuu's just by the different "miscellaneous sounds" they do such as grunts or laughter. Years of playing video games probably helped with that kind of thing too.

[quote="kiunchbb, post: 43252002"][B]Hyouka 12 - END[/B]

I was hoping the final arc can get to the caliber of [B]Denpa Teki Na Kanojo[/B], hopefully next season :(.[/QUOTE]

Ah, another person who likes [B]Denpa Teki Na Kanojo[/B]. I liked those OVAs too. I wish they got to adapt the second novel too and not just the first and third.

[quote="Narag, post: 43276223"]... I thought they rode motorcycles off the cliff at first.[/QUOTE]

When scrolling down the page I initially saw the part where they jumped off the cliff and thought they were motorcycles at first too...

[quote="hosannainexcelsis, post: 43277634"]Ahem.[/QUOTE]

I'm not watching [B]Accel World[/B] or [B]Sword Art Online[/B] either. I'll probably take a look at the first episode of each, at least, at some later point in time though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Yeah, this is still the same old Jormungand. Everything's still in place: the ugliness, the cool soundtrack, the nonsense operations, the millions of characters you can't possibly name without a Wiki guide... And even the secret ingredient that makes em enjoy all of this.
So true. I think everyone in here who enjoys Jormungand realizes that it has plenty of negative qualities, but is still entertaining in a non-ironic way.

Kagami

I'm pretty sure it's a troll chart though.
I'm not sure where the gender info for all those un-named "sons" on the chart came from. As far as I know most of those should say "unknown gender." But other than that, it looks generally accurate to me.

The Sister Princess characters could be called troll entries, but that trolling was started by 0verflow themselves. :p
(0verflow is a brand of STACK software, the developers of the Sister Princess game. One of 0verflow's games, Summer Radish Vacation 2, (SRV2 spoilers, not School Days spoilers)
has a character who is strangely similar to one of the Sister Princess girls, with an abbreviated name. Then in the ending of her story, the entire Sister Princess cast appears in back-lit silhouette to come pick her up. During some of the dialog in the game, the family tree for the Sister Princess girls as shown on that chart is implied.
)

girl panzer 2

I'm confused. Not sure if I love the show, or hate it for this... weird agenda I'm feeling.

throwing around stuff like D-day while a girl in a bikini is washing a tank is weird.

Kagami

Were their games before School Days
just as crazy or was that the point where they were like "Hey, let's do something 'different'."
Sort of depends on how you measure crazy, but I'd go with "yes" for most of them. Not specifically in the same ways as School Days.

remz

Tomaru Sawagoe gets me every time.

Am I reading this right? has this guy fucked his descendants 5 generations down the line? (wife>daughter>grandaughter>greatgrandaughter>greatgreatgrandaughter>greatgreatgreatgrandaughter?)

holy shit. Grossssss

Taruranto

Perhaps fewer than one might normally expect.

Overflow tree. See this guy? He is the protagonist and antagonist in the Overflow visual novel franchise. His name is Tomaru Sawagoe, and he is a billionaire who is obsessed with f***ing. For about 40 years, he seduces every woman that he comes across and f***s her. Usually impregnating her. It doesn't matter if she is his daughter, granddaughter, great granddaughter, etc. The other protagonists in the franchise are his sons, including Makoto Itou. Remember Sekai? Because of Tomaru, Makoto is her uncle. In fact, every female in School Days is related to Makoto, except for Katsura. Other children from him are the characters in Sister Princess. Tomaru even has a line where he impregnated a girl, impregnated her daughter once she was able to be, and repeats the process using drugs to make them able to have children at younger and younger ages. The final girl that he impregnates in that line is his great great great granddaughter, who was in kindergarten when she had her son. Over all, Tomaru has over 50 children. His sons who become VN protagonists follow in his footsteps and make the web even more tangled. the only "normal" person in the entire family is Makoto Itou. And THAT is saying something.

Ok, i read VNs so i had my share of incest (Yo, Yasu), but this is bananas.

cajunator

Banned
Am I reading this right? has this guy fucked his descendants 5 generations down the line? (wife>daughter>grandaughter>greatgrandaughter>greatgreatgrandaughter>greatgreatgreatgrandaughter?)

holy shit. Grossssss

Yes it really is as fucked up as you think it is!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, pieces were taken from it and inserted later for stuff like the early episode intros, the home shopping stuff, the cheetah guys, and My Neighbor Pedoro.
They basically reused the entire viewing festival bit for episode 125 but I kept and still keep thinking that it was in an earlier episode despite all my reviewing proves otherwise!
Oh neat, I wondered if anything was left behind lol
It's too bad they didn't point out how lazy they were being by reusing old content, but I guess that'd be way too meta even for Gintama. lol

Yeah, I figured it would be quite a list if I mentioned everybody by name. Like you said, there are also many posters with anime avatars and who are keeping up with current shows but don't post here in the thread.

Ah, so that's what Zeroshiki's up to huh? Hopefully he gets a good job. It would be nice if he could come back and post here in the thread more often again.
I believe he's trying to get back to Japan, but to find a job that isn't 100% IT monkey. I told him to get into the outsourcing management racket, but - much to my surprise - there's already a HUGE industry for Filipinos training other Filipinos to work in Japan. I guess Japan has finally realized that they need to allow people into their country if they want to keep their economy going.

Yeah, for Chihayafuru, Arata's seiyuu's name is Yoshimasa Hosoya. When watching Sakamachi no Apollon or Kids on the Slope and hearing Sentarou first speak, I initially recognized it as Yoshiyama not by his voice but by his accent. I have a pretty good ear for seiyuu's though so usually I pick up on just the voice.

I can recognize many seiyuu's just by the different "miscellaneous sounds" they do such as grunts or laughter. Years of playing video games probably helped with that kind of thing too.
Usually it's bad though, because it means they're just one note and have no range. I mean, I love Sugita but he's basically just using that same voice in everything. But then again, I guess if you're the lead of a minor shounen series, you're basically fucked for life.

Just having listened to the guy who does Spongebob though, each of his voice acting roles are basically completely different from each other. If you aren't a voice over nerd and read credits, you'd probably wouldn't know it was him. Even Nolan North has range, even though everyone just wants the shitty Nathan Drake voice now. lol

I guess that's just my way of saying that I hope these actors with "hick" accents aren't going to be stuck being the "hick" accent actors for the rest of their lives. But just going off of what I know about anime, that seems to be the case.

(This is also my way of saying that Kobayashi > all, I suppose. But even then... while most people are one trick ponies, she's a two or three trick pony. :p)

So true. I think everyone in here who enjoys Jormungand realizes that it has plenty of negative qualities, but is still entertaining in a non-ironic way.
I only hate Jormungand because it's being so wasted right now. But I also have no interest in reading the funny book version.

If only it had some money behind it. :(

It's too bad they didn't point out how lazy they were being by reusing old content, but I guess that'd be way too meta even for Gintama. lol

Well episode 125 was basically Gin, Kagura and Shinpachi going back and forth about how they had 30 minutes to kill since the animators messed up the schedules and didn't draw a story in time. It was subtle meta criticism.

SDBurton

They were way more crazy than School Days, but in very different ways.

Oh, now someone has GOTTA give me the details.

Overflow tree. See this guy? He is the protagonist and antagonist in the Overflow visual novel franchise. His name is Tomaru Sawagoe, and he is a billionaire who is obsessed with f***ing. For about 40 years, he seduces every woman that he comes across and f***s her. Usually impregnating her. It doesn't matter if she is his daughter, granddaughter, great granddaughter, etc. The other protagonists in the franchise are his sons, including Makoto Itou. Remember Sekai? Because of Tomaru, Makoto is her uncle. In fact, every female in School Days is related to Makoto, except for Katsura. Other children from him are the characters in Sister Princess. Tomaru even has a line where he impregnated a girl, impregnated her daughter once she was able to be, and repeats the process using drugs to make them able to have children at younger and younger ages. The final girl that he impregnates in that line is his great great great granddaughter, who was in kindergarten when she had her son. Over all, Tomaru has over 50 children. His sons who become VN protagonists follow in his footsteps and make the web even more tangled. the only "normal" person in the entire family is Makoto Itou. And THAT is saying something.

Hoooooly shit.

jman2050

makoto is the product of compulsive incestual impregnation?
this explains so much

You know, it appears that way at first, but then you realize that Makoto and his sister are actually completely divorced from the ridiculous tangled family tree outside of the fact that his father was the independent progenitor of the whole thing. So not only is Makoto a complete derpface, you can't even blame incest for it. Genetically, he's clean as a whistle!

Now Sekai and Setsuna on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom