• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
screenshot2012-10-15adauk2.png

I'm Mugi, you're Nodoka, SD is Azusa

when do nodoka get nice legs?

The whole 'sibling rivalry' angle is one of the weakest parts of the show because it never makes any sense.

It's strange that the show would go out of its way to include a flashback with Yuki ruthlessly beating up Kouji back on Earth if it didn't intend to explore the motivations for that behavior. Ah well.

Branduil

Magi Art Online 2

ioJYqbZrOwSY9.jpg

Cool guys don't look at explosions.

ibyugH0qv9uNlK.jpg

You're a fast one. Good thing that guy's sword creates wounds which instantly heal. "Only a flesh wound," etc.

I like this episode much more than the first one. The pacing and editing was pretty off at the beginning, but once they reached the room with the eggs things settled down into a much better rhythm. There's really nothing special at all about the story so far though, I don't really get the Fullmetal Alchemist comparisons.

And this is just a nitpick, but the idea of a fair-skinned redhead being native to the equivalent of Sub-Saharan Africa is really lol.

And while the production value is mostly above-average, there were a couple scenes with really distractingly ugly CGI:

Yuck.

Branduil

2 episodes have aired. No need to jump the gun.

That's fair, although I think the original FMA had a stronger first two episodes, episode 3 is where the show's emotional core was established. Hopefully Magi can come up with something to rival that soon, or I'll be pretty disappointed that people brought up the comparison.

cajunator

Banned
Is that the yuri mech gender thinger? It's on my list because of you.

Yep it is.
The production quality is dirt cheap but it hasnt been infuriatingly stupid.
Even the gender changing thing seems to be handled well.
The girls arent fucking idiots and the whole kissing thing is actually based on some sort of religious practice regarding the Simoun.
Its all kind of neat.

Emitan

Yep it is.
The production quality is dirt cheap but it hasnt been infuriatingly stupid.
Even the gender changing thing seems to be handled well.
The girls arent fucking idiots and the whole kissing thing is actually based on some sort of religious practice regarding the Simoun.
Its all kind of neat.

I have finally found my religion.

That's fair, although I think the original FMA had a stronger first two episodes, episode 3 is where the show's emotional core was established. Hopefully Magi can come up with something to rival that soon, or I'll be pretty disappointed that people brought up the comparison.

I don't know if going into Magi expecting FMA is the right idea, especially when many liberties are being taken with the adaptation. As duckroll put it, it feels like it in the way things are connected and how the world works, but they've already botched that. Your best bet is to just read the manga if you want something of FMA quality.

Soma

K Episode 01 brought to you by DICE™

Well, the weird blueish-green filter didn't bother me as much as I thought it would but it's still quite distracting and just honestly a pretty baffling design choice. Mainly because the scenery and animation would look gorgeous even without it. A lot of the backgrounds look great, maybe some of the best I've seen since Hyouka (that's probably a lofty claim). The world that this takes place in feels very intricate and alive. The neon/LED signs scattered through-out the buildings add to the stylish atmosphere, the crowds and cars that populate the city are rendered nicely and they even manage to make the school look very cool. It's just unfortunate about that color filter (and I also noticed this weird blur at the edges of some scenes which was also kind of weird). The character designs are pretty solid and the animation looks great with the action scenes very well directed.

As for the story itself, I honestly don't know what to make of it. It feels very Durarara! with all the handsome bad-asses walking around and beating people up. I don't really have any strong feelings regarding the protagonist since he feels like more of a supporting character at the moment. The rest of the cast didn't really leave a lasting impression on me either but I assume they'll get fleshed out as the story continues.

This feels like it could end up being very "All Style, No Substance" but I think I'll be following with this because I like the 'cool' style that this is going for and hopefully there will be some pretty neat action scenes to come.

"As for the story itself, I honestly don't know what to make of it. It feels very Durarara! with all the handsome bad-asses walking around and beating people up."

Durarara was boring.

Soma

"As for the story itself, I honestly don't know what to make of it. It feels very Durarara! with all the handsome bad-asses walking around and beating people up."

Durarara was boring.

Eh, it had some good moments, had a few entertaining characters and I liked the
finding out the creator of the Dollars
revelation.

I remember not digging the second half and hating the ending though.

Eh, it had some good moments, had a few entertaining characters and I liked the
finding out the creator of the Dollars
revelation.

I remember not digging the second half and hating the ending though.

Loved the strong dude and the black russian sushi seller. I disliked the main character, the interactions with the headless girl, having to type in the phone all the time, and seeing her in her
bikini was disturbing
. It just didn't have an interesting plot. Can't believe its from the creator of Baccano.

wonzo

Banned
Jormungand 14

At the rate things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if
R ends up taking a bullet for Jonah.

The leather holster was so utterly ridiculous that I think my brain instantly erased it from my memory for my own protection.
all it needs is to be signed by fatal1ty to complete the holy wahjah trifector

Kid has a fucking leather holster for his touchpad that he plays some tap to win bullshit on.

Genki (that I am no longer unable to appreciate thanks to Mihoshi) aside, the roach hair girl at the end (and in the ED) makes me worry too.

No way.

holy shit!

How did I miss (forget) this!

Planetes 26 fin

That certainly was a feel good ending. I have mixed feelings about this show. It has beautiful visuals, everything is so polished. Yet the plot was not compelling, even boring at times. I believe the show started kicking off in the 2nd half, the last 13 episodes. I thought the standalone episodes of the first half were pretty mediocre.

Good cast, yet a horrible main character. Tanabe turned out to be okay, Hachimaki, went from okay to horrible, just as the show itself uplifted.

Giving this a 7/10, for now.

cajunator

Banned
Planetes 26 fin

That certainly was a feel good ending. I have mixed feelings about this show. It has beautiful visuals, everything is so polished. Yet the plot was not compelling, even boring at times. I believe the show started kicking off in the 2nd half, the last 13 episodes. I thought the standalone episodes of the first half were pretty mediocre.

Good cast, yet a horrible main character. Tanabe turned out to be okay, Hachimaki, went from okay to horrible, just as the show itself uplifted.

Giving this a 7/10, for now.

I think people who enjoy hard sci fi will get more out of the show.

I watch a few episodes of it once in a while.
Im on episode 27.

Enjoy the other 170 episodes full of monster of week filler, drama and reset buttons.

Planetes 26 fin
I believe the show started kicking off in the 2nd half, the last 13 episodes. I thought the standalone episodes of the first half were pretty mediocre.

pretty sure, you would enjoy the manga more than the anime. You should give it a try (and the anime was just the first half of the story - all characters are also 100% less annoying).

I think people who enjoy hard sci fi will get more out of the show.

Its not that I don't like the genre, I can like every genre, as long as they're done good. I love how they explain everything, space spatial disorder, the lunarians, other terms and technical details that went into it were interesting. its just how the show evolves from standalone episodes to a final plot, putting Hachimaki in the centre of all of it, wouldn't be bad if he didn't act so illogical. His sudden " I have to go to Jupiter no MATTER WHAT!!!1" just felt out of place.

The whole plot with his father shouldn't be in it, felt very cliche. The lively and funny dad, and his "I don't wanna be compared to my old dad, I wll surpass him!" thing.

You see, thats why I hate, the main character acting all arrogant. Hated that in Gundam Seed, Eureka and Evangelion.

pretty sure, you would enjoy the manga more than the anime. You should give it a try (and the anime was just the first half of the story - all characters are also 100% less annoying).

Is the manga done? I might give it a read just to see how it all turns out.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tsuritama 01
The first time around a lot of the characters seemed annoying or aggravating, but on the second go around everything just sort of resonated with me the right way. The direction was exceptionally strong with the scenes being snappy, everything moved well and the show never dwelled too long on any one thing, and it was just generally fun to watch.
Prepared to be amazed by the second half. Seriously, a number of people from what I can recall, weren't to fond of the characters in the first few episodes, but came to love them towards the end.

cajunator

Banned
Prepared to be amazed by the second half. Seriously, a number of people from what I can recall, weren't to fond of the characters in the first few episodes, but came to love them towards the end.

I liked Haru from the start.
Dude is fucking crazy and I like happy crazy people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom