• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Despite the dumb ecchi scenes I'm quite surprised this show is quite well done and Yoshitsugu Matsuoka does a good job as a tsukkomi. Most surprising is this show is 2 cour which usually shows like this doesn't get beyond 1 cour.

fertygo

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Despite the dumb ecchi scenes I'm quite surprised this show is quite well done and Yoshitsugu Matsuoka does a good job as a tsukkomi. Most surprising is this show is 2 cour which usually shows like this doesn't get beyond 1 cour.

Yeah I'm surprised can enjoy the first 2 episode that much, the story is just typical LN crap, but the episode pacing was really nice.. Okada's effect?

Need more animu and manga-making chat though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kamisama Hajimemashita 03:

kAKmwl.jpg

Nanami continues to be the reason to watch this. I think that this season made me realize once and for all that shoujo protagonists are cuter than any moeblob could hope to be. Even though the show has fallen behind Kaibutsu-kun and Sukitte ii ya no in terms of overall quality, it's still pretty fun each week.

But yeah, that poor kid in this episode.
That's going to be the only time a girl ever touches him in his whole life, and she's actually a fish
. Life can be cruel.

I expect to get a lot of mileage out of this screen.

And next week is apparently Nanamimonogotari. I don't think that's "love", Nanami.

Watanabe always delivers. The 3 shows he made are all very good. He really should've made more in the past decade. Well, I'm happy he's making 2 new shows in the coming years.

@Ko Traveling Hobo: don't be sad, I consider NGE's opening still one of the best and listen to it from time to time. :) Not to mention the amazing music of You Cannot Advance.

jbug617

Banned
Kids on the Slope 12 fin

Great end. For once they're alone. But whats up with the move Kaoru did on her? Doesn't fit the show at all, very illogical. Anyway,
the bros finally get reunited and play their favourite music, Moanin once again. How did they get by 8 years without hearing from each other? Thats a longass time.

This show was very interesting. I'd give it a 9, but I'll deduct 1 point for the dumb move Kaoru made at the start of the last episode.

Well deserved 8/10.

The anime ending and manga ending are really different. You should read the manga they fill in the gap of the 8 yrs and a fulfilling ending.

Ultimadrago

I suppose now is as good as any to ask; when I finish this, is there any other "slice of life" anime out there that I should check out for being... genuinely good instead of out of some morbid curiosity to see crazy shit (eventually)?

Usagi Drop is a good place to start.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Shin Koihime Musou - 12 [END]

They handled the yellow turban rebellion with an
idoru battle.
I have no words. :lol

It looks like Guan Yu finally accepted
Liu Bei as her older sister near the end of the episode. Yay.

Not gonna lie, only excited for the next season because of this:

Wu Dynasty baby! Let's go!

Ultimadrago

Brave 10 - 4

First half:

The gang goes to the shrine of Izumo where Isanami gets sad because
her former establishment of refuge is destroyed
. Yadda Yadda.

The fight scene was only a touch more "stimulating." For example, there's a scene where Kakei pinned to the ground, paralyzed on top of a glowing magic circle as he asks his opponent if they are, indeed, using magic.

Fascinating.

bravelols3uq2.png

:firehawk

Yet, just when all hope was lost for Brave 10 (God forbid it having much in the first place).
The Wind arrived
, and I'm not talking about Glass Fleet! Of course, our sadistic (and masochistic?) hero is called a pervert upon arrival. His appearance even weakens the magic circle that Kakei was bounded to (No. I don't see how that makes sense either). Better yet, Kakei
shoots through himself to kill the opponent on his back
and stands up immediately.

Yes, people are being sliced all over the place and still breathing across the room, but, unlike them...he didn't even get fazed! All for,
Isanami
to get swept off their feet by Date Masamune (the person snatcher) in the end.

The progression of this story, from the adding of new "Braves" to the implementation of character insight is executed with some of the weakest direction. Episodes that are supposed to grow characters while keeping thing exciting are left empty and handled in a sloppy manner. These are the times you see people mislabeling episodes as "filler." I wouldn't be surprised to see someone argue Brave 10 as a "filler series"! For a battle every episode, this is somethin' else.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Accel World 06:

kmhScl.jpg

She has a spare? Why?

I'm feeling a little :kayos over Taku.
So, he's squared away with Haru now, but he's still going to try to take out Kuroyukihime to prove himself to Vanquish?
That's........possibly the most counterproductive thing he could do if he's serious about a clean slate. Huh.
He'll get destroyed, so whatevs.

Brave 10 - 4

First half:

The gang goes to the shrine of Izumo where Isanami gets sad because
her former establishment of refuge is destroyed
. Yadda Yadda.

The fight scene was only a touch more "stimulating." For example, there's a scene where Kakei pinned to the ground, paralyzed on top of a glowing magic circle as he asks his opponent if they are, indeed, using magic.

Fascinating.

Yet, just when all hope was lost for Brave 10 (God forbid it having much in the first place).
The Wind arrived
, and I'm not talking about Glass Fleet! Of course, our sadistic (and masochistic?) hero is called a pervert upon arrival. His appearance even weakens the magic circle that Kakei was bounded to (No. I don't see how that makes sense either). Better yet, Kakei
shoots through himself to kill the opponent on his back
and stands up immediately.

Yes, people are being sliced all over the place and still breathing across the room, but, unlike them...he didn't even get fazed! All for,
Isanami
to get swept off their feet by Date Masamune (the person snatcher) in the end.

The progression of this story, from the adding of new "Braves" to the implementation of character insight is executed with some of the weakest direction. Episodes that are supposed to grow characters while keeping thing exciting are left empty and handled in a sloppy manner. These are the times you see people mislabeling episodes as "filler." I wouldn't be surprised to see someone argue Brave 10 as a "filler series"! For a battle every episode, this is somethin' else.

The next episode is just as dumb.

Thats good to hear. I need to know more about the ending!

I wouldn't say it's "different"; it is much more fleshed out though, especially with what happened during
the time skip
, which the show basically skipped entirely.
Kaoru joins a college jazz group and has some experiences moving out into the professional world with both music and medicine, as well as a short experience with dating. It's nice, and it definitely adds to the pacing and even gives Kaoru a little more development.

Regardless, I walked away from this show (and even the manga, though the pacing is obviously better there) somewhat disappointed. I was so excited for a quality show about jazz in the time period, and it hits on some topics well, but the questionable development of the plot in the latter half hurts the characters and their likeability, and it feels like the whole thing is over before it really starts. It just doesn't get as deep as it felt like it should.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World 06:

I'm feeling a little :kayos over Taku.
So, he's squared away with Haru now, but he's still going to try to take out Kuroyukihime to prove himself to Vanquish?
That's........possibly the most counterproductive thing he could do if he's serious about a clean slate. Huh.
He'll get destroyed, so whatevs.

No. He left Blue Knight to join Black Lotus.

Go_Ly_Dow

School Days 3

Goddamn, does this show ever have the ability to completely fuck up everything in the last few seconds of an episode! Let's recap:

-Katsura invites Makoto over to her house to meet her little sister after making up for what happened on the train (side note: these guys are in high school, right? Do any of them have, I don't know, parents?) Makoto gets all excited, and starts wondering what he should wear, r if he should go buy something, or whatever. Point is, he's excited.

-He goes over and has a ball of a time with her little sister, who already calls him oni-chan. Then, Kokoro asks Makoto why he calls Katsura, "Katsura". Now, here's where things got a bit confusing: is Kotonoha Katsura's last name that somehow went over my head, or is it a more formal form? I don't know. Either way, they make up quickly.

-As they're on the train platform as Makoto's ready to go home, Katsura (should I start calling her Kotonoha now?) kisses him on the cheek. He is so enraptured by it that he misses the train. Now here's where I'm thinking, "Huh, this episode wasn't all that bad."

-Then, at the end while he's talking to Sekai, he's all of a sudden tired of her.

^*&^dvjkdfbvv87cxt vdf0xtv7 fxt v 08 cmisgvej4$Jt45yudgf8jpvbhgjhHYiuuu

Minor points:

-Where does Sekai work, and why the hell does she wear... that?

-Why is the show so reluctant to show Katsura's breasts when she gets out of the tub and such when they're clearly visible during the opening sequence?

..I guess that's it. Goddamn.

isn't it just amazing?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That is an awful, awful, tattoo. I hope that no one in this thread is affiliated with it.

No one is that stupid, are they?
http://hanzismatter.blogspot.ca/

I love this blog.

That girl is so moe.

Saimoe Group B Final

1st 583 Toki Onjouji @ Saki
2nd 417 Akari Akaza @ Yuru Yuri

Way better vote totals than yesterday, but still:

http://i.imgur.com/82u77.png?1
Hisa wins hands down. But Yayoi is max pander.

Kamisama Hajimemashita 03:

But yeah, that poor kid in this episode.
That's going to be the only time a girl ever touches him in his whole life, and she's actually a fish
. Life can be cruel.

I expect to get a lot of mileage out of this screen.

And next week is apparently Nanamimonogotari. I don't think that's "love", Nanami.
You know you would too! Admit it!

Hey now, I've been on anti-hype since it got announced. My opinion of it is your opinion of SAO or Branduil's of TWGOK. Of course it seems like it had the opposite effect.
Man, I wonder how that happened? I just assumed you were on the hype train. lol

I wouldn't say it's "different"; it is much more fleshed out though, especially with what happened during
the time skip
, which the show basically skipped entirely.
Kaoru joins a college jazz group and has some experiences moving out into the professional world with both music and medicine, as well as a short experience with dating. It's nice, and it definitely adds to the pacing and even gives Kaoru a little more development.

Regardless, I walked away from this show (and even the manga, though the pacing is obviously better there) somewhat disappointed. I was so excited for a quality show about jazz in the time period, and it hits on some topics well, but the questionable development of the plot in the latter half hurts the characters and their likeability, and it feels like the whole thing is over before it really starts. It just doesn't get as deep as it felt like it should.

To be fair, I didn't feel that jazz was an important factor in the show, it was a tool that connected the characters. I think the 12 episode form suited the show well, it was always interesting because it was short, but yes I wouldve liked to see more.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I suppose now is as good as any to ask; when I finish this, is there any other "slice of life" anime out there that I should check out for being... genuinely good instead of out of some morbid curiosity to see crazy shit (eventually)?
K-ON
Hyouka

You can't get better than the best, and KyoAni is the best.

Nafe

Usually it's bad though, because it means they're just one note and have no range. I mean, I love Sugita but he's basically just using that same voice in everything. But then again, I guess if you're the lead of a minor shounen series, you're basically fucked for life.

Just having listened to the guy who does Spongebob though, each of his voice acting roles are basically completely different from each other. If you aren't a voice over nerd and read credits, you'd probably wouldn't know it was him. Even Nolan North has range, even though everyone just wants the shitty Nathan Drake voice now. lol

I guess that's just my way of saying that I hope these actors with "hick" accents aren't going to be stuck being the "hick" accent actors for the rest of their lives. But just going off of what I know about anime, that seems to be the case.

(This is also my way of saying that Kobayashi > all, I suppose. But even then... while most people are one trick ponies, she's a two or three trick pony. :p)

Yeah, I'm not sure. You have some of the cast for The Simpsons who can do a wide variety of voices and then even going back to anime, there was the one guy in the English dub of DragonBall Z who did a bunch of different voices.

I was going to say with the Japanese seiyuu they change more the volume or pitch of their voice more than outright change it. Kana Hanazawa has a bunch of different voices but you can always tell it's her. There's actually quite a few English dub speakers who do this too though, such as Johnny Yong Bosch. There are also a lot of one or two note people and not just in anime but going back to regular cartoons.

It's not like seiyuu's can't change their voice as Kotono Mitsuishi, who does Sailor Moon, has a much different voice for her than, say, Jury from Utena. I didn't even know she did both voices until I looked it up. I recognize Yuriko Fuchizaki's voice for Anthy in Utena but she did the voice of a young boy in Saint Seiya Omega and her voice was so different I couldn't tell it was her at all.

I guess it depends on your familiarity with a given seiyuu as well. Most people seem to think Rie Kugimiya is rather one note because she gets type cast into "Kugi loli" roles often. She can have a rather soft, almost ojousama type voice, such as her role as Shannon in Umineko. I haven't heard it personally but I've read people express surprise when they find out she does the voice for Alphonse in Full Metal Alchemist, so she actually has a few different voices.

I'd say the English and Japanese are probably comparable. Listening to many English dubs years ago the voice actors and actresses seemed rather one note or only did more of a pitch/volume change too. When it came to outright changing their voice it seemed it was more people who worked more exclusively in western cartoons such as Spongebob or The Simpsons.

I told myself if I ever make a thread on GAF, I need to draw the banner. It helps me keep my drawing skills in form and lets me hype myself up for the game or show.

Did you see the K-ON! avatars everyone in PokeGAF had at the beginning of this year? Those were drawn by me.
Now that I look at them, I hate them. Need to do them over again.

Ah, right, I remember those. I've seen someone with your Palutena drawing too.

I used to draw quite a bit when I was younger but it was more sketches and I didn't really colour much of them in. I would more often look at a picture from a magazine or video game booklet or something and draw that than original stuff but I did enough of that too.

I got good enough at replicating pictures that people accused me of tracing and it got to the point that if I was entering a contest or competition, I would bring the original to the judges for reference, to show that I had simply scaled the drawing up or down in size.

I haven't drawn at all for about ten years though and all my pictures are put away. Sometimes I've wanted to take a look at the odd one I could remember but I can't remember which box some of them are stored in and for now it's too much hassle to look. :(

FINISH
SAILOR
MOON

Ok good, you are still here. :)

I watched Sailor Moon(along Ranma and Inuyasha) more than a decade ago, totally forgot what it was all about lol.

Did you watch the Japanese original Sailor Moon or some other language dub? I'd personally recommend watching the original if you haven't.

do they ever actually do any sailing?

Haha, well, Tuxedo Mask used a sail to go wind surfing once.

I hope someone punches this guy's face in at some point.

"I'll help you if you can beat me at this game."

--I'll beat you with your game if you don't help me!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh. Well, it's essentially Blue Knight made it a forceful resignation. lol.

Oh, well when Vanquish said to throw him down the pit or whatever, I thought that he was just trying to shame Cyan Pile, not "fire" him from the guild. Okay then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom