• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 3

Also, Touka's easily best girl, followed closely by Rikka. Nibutani is the worst girl. She's still good, but definitely the worst.

9nemH.png

tumblr_mc2c2tL85A1qdhsq1o1_r1_500.png

If they are going to have a nap club, might as well go the full way and do a Going Home Club. Anyway, one of my favorite part of school series are the typical what club will you join plots, and this one was good overall. Yuuta's classmate friend is funny and needs more lines.

Epiosde could have benefited more if Yuuta wasnt being affected by the Overseer, surely he can go into his Dark Flame Master state more.

With the fight scene, I almost thought they were actually doing those spins in air. Major dissapointment when it showed they were just rolling on the ground :(

Articalys

They created 2 new MAJOR characters, I don't think they are interested in following the LNs.
Oh, I know, I'm just saying it's not impossible for them to use the character in some sort of different form as a small joke at the end. Obviously they won't be a part of the main plot at all.

Syrinx

tumblr_mc2c2tL85A1qdhsq1o1_r1_500.png

If they are going to have a nap club, might as well go the full way and do a Going Home Club. Anyone one of my favorite part of school series are the typical what club will you join plots, and this one was good overall. Yuuta's classmate friend is funny and needs more lines.

Epiosde could have benefited more if Yuuta wasnt being affected by the Overseer, surely he can go into his Dark Flame Master state more.

With the fight scene, I almost thought they were actually doing those spins in air. Major dissapointment when it showed they were just rolling on the ground :(

Brb, gonna go start a nap club.

This show is effectively Haruhi, minus the
god-powers
, I love it. The opening skit will be a microcosm for the entire series methinks.

Also, wtf is wrong with you people. Rikka is obviously the best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Troll teacher is the best.

This show is effectively Haruhi, minus the
god-powers
Jason said:
Her brashness and rashness remind me a lot of Haruhi, yet she’s the polar opposite: whereas Haruhi thinks she is living a normal life while all this fantasy happens around her, Rikka is living a normal life while she thinks all there is this fantasy around her.

Kazzy

K-ON!! Episode 17

m10NM.jpg

The inner-workings of a crazy person!

One of the burning questions is finally raised, why does Mio continue to write the bands lyrics, when she's clearly terrible at it? So everyone has else tries their hand at it, with wildly vary results, Yui goes food-crazy, Mugi goes Mugi, Ritsu presumably doesn't even bother, whilst Azusa goes all tsundere ...for a turtle. Mio also tries to remain relevant, with the expected outcome.

The latter half of the episode was centered around the club-room being snatched away from them, which was nice in that it showed us parts of the school we haven't seen before, painting it in an entirely different light to how I viewed it previously. Everything is usually so encapsulated around the static nature of the band, that I'd always pictured Sakura High as a completely idyllic (not to mention, quiet school), so there was something of a dissonance in seeing it suddenly bustling with activity.

5xjkp.jpg

Ui is kind of weird!

Yui's savant mode kicks in once more, as she manages to write a genuine song about Ui, which was probably triggered more by her inability to cook properly more than anything!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! Episode 18

So, the K-ON!! experience has become meta now? Well, it at least seems that way, with the entire class deciding to ship Ritsu x Mio in an entirely unsubtle way. I mean, it's all far too convenient to be anything other than a calculated plan, right? Even Mugi is extremely accommodating to this end.

Naturlly, upon hearing the news of her starring role, Mio gives a perfectly reasonable reaction, but everyone has reached the point where they are willing to call her up on her behavior. Although, Ritsu doesn't exactly react well to their predicament either. They should be more like Tree G!

I seem to remember complaining that Mio plays like too much of a caricature at times (or at least comes close to skirting that line towards the beginning of the run), sure, people have their anxiety and confidence issues, but it was often taken to extreme end of the spectrum with her, and it became a little jarring to me. Like I said in an earlier write-up, I appreciated that they addressed the issue, and it here, it suddenly felt as though she was (initially) being allowed to slip back into tendencies unchecked. Having watched it all, it's now clearer that it was all to act as the catalyst, and I presume to kick her the last big-push she needs. Her introverted nature is usually shown through her fears and anxieties (which are somewhat irrational, but most people have those ), but her extreme reaction to the play itself just struck me as raising a huge disparity to what would be acceptable in a normal context. However, this wasn't left unattended, so I feel safe in retracting the previous generalization.

After all, we are shown the emotional toll it also takes on Ritsu, someone who is the opposite to Mio, and usually acts as a pillar of confidence (at least outwardly). I think the Mio that we saw at the beginning of Yui's induction to the Light-music club (in season 1), would never have pushed herself in the same way that her current-self would. I think her refusal to quit (when given a shining chance by Nodoka), certainly exemplified this.

I'm glad that this episode took a turn where it did. Like I've said before, becoming slavish to your formula (that works, and works well) would be all too easy for this show, but if you were run down the episodes that became about specific members of the club, it's usually with a mind to address certain quirks they have. This is a group that actually undergoes significant change through the course of the two seasons, and I assume this is certainly the case for the remainder of these episodes. It's done with care, not to mention respect for the characters, because its never feels artificial/contrived.

And with all that, the band undergo a training-arc, some practice to fix Mio's confidence problem.

And it ends on a cliff-hanger?! I don't know what to believe anymore...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kamisama Hajimemashita - 03

This is just a really sweet show. It may not be serious like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or Sukitte Ii na yo, but in a way I find that welcoming as I can just kick back and relax without having to worry about some real shit going down
(not yet at least)
. Some of these facial expressions are great too.

Soma

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 03

ifBjOVkW4YVNQ.jpg
in5M5Y64vZeAx.jpg

Oh man. She tries to start a Nap Club, brings a pillow with her everywhere and sleeps all the time.

Kumin sempai is my kind of woman.

I'm conflicted though since pretty much every character introduced so far is great. Even Dekomori is a great addition to the cast and she's hilarious so far. The show is so fun and entertaining. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it so far.

wonzo

Banned
SSO 28

Gee, thanks for the recap episode Toei. It sure was fun seeing glimpses of all the nice animation (a.k.a the only good things about this series all) compressed into one episode. It sure was great being reminded that I spent all that time to sit down and watch all 28 episodes of this series as I quickly time skipped throughout the recap...

ssomega6a.jpg

Syrinx

Can I join? I'm more than qualified, watch!

*goes to sleep 'cause work tomorrow ;-;*

Pssh. Nap club isn't about "sleeping". It's about completely rejecting any sense of responsibility you have, plopping your head down, and napping in your most important times.

Got a big report due tomorrow for your boss or professor? Nap.

Baby crying? Nap.

Somebody is plotting to blow up the moon? You know what you need to do.

Anybody can "sleep" Only official nap club members can fully embrace complete laziness over productivity and sleep when it truly matters.

Maedhros

Nichijou

I don't know why I've finished this. I mean, it was okay, but there's no sense of completion, the comedy isn't that good most of the times (I can count in my hands how many times I've laughed watching this"... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good too.

I never grown attached to any character. Mai-chan is (almost) useless. The professor story ends without a conclusion... Compared to Lucky Star, I've found this much worse.

I'm burned on Slice of Life for a year.

The best scenes in this series involved Yuuko (best character), the director... also, the ones where the show went crazy.

Haly

Chu2 3:
I wish this wasn't good so I can actually drop it.

cajunator

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 03

ifBjOVkW4YVNQ.jpg
in5M5Y64vZeAx.jpg

Oh man. She tries to start a Nap Club, brings a pillow with her everywhere and sleeps all the time.

Kumin sempai is my kind of woman.

I'm conflicted though since pretty much every character introduced so far is great. Even Dekomori is a great addition to the cast and she's hilarious so far. The show is so fun and entertaining. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it so far.

Kumin reminds me of Nemu from Haibane Renmei.
Sleepy moe.

Instro

Chuunibyou 3

Surely that is the ultimate form of twintail. I was dying when she got wrapped up in her own hair. Also, I would totally join a nap club.

Chuunibyou

I can't help but suspect Shinka is hiding something, depending on how the show goes
she'll either genuinely join to air her own delusions. Or do so out of malicious intent.

Haly

Chuunibyou

I can't help but suspect Shinka is hiding something, depending on how the show goes
she'll either genuinely join to air her own delusions. Or do so out of malicious intent.
Shinka
clearly has the hots for Yuuta. You saw her winking at him over and over again.

Instro

Chuunibyou

I was thinking that she is Forest Summer. This doesn't seem like the kind of show to have that sort of drama.

Shinka
clearly has the hots for Yuuta. You saw her winking at him over and over again.

Only after she saw him with Rikka. So if the series goes the light hearted path she'll be a genuine romantic interest, or have her own delusion. If it goes the darker path she could be a force that causes Yuta to accept or deny his past and Rikka.

Maybe the comparisons to Haruhi are getting to me, I can't help but expect the other shoe to drop

Has anyone read the light novels?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chooney 03:

Wow, an
overly-specific club that struggles to achieve the minimum member threshold and is just a front for creating a hangout for the characters
, just what the show needed to lift itself out of the LN plot gutter. Rikka is still pretty insufferable and I'm still baffled as to why Yuuta would even want to reluctantly associate with her, but I'm still watching because fortunately the technical fundamentals of the show are superior enough that they partially compensate for the characters and narrative.

With
Shinka, darling of the entire school, suddenly abandoning a legitimate club for well-adjusted neurotypical people and joining the crackpot club for unsociable weirdos, presumably because Yuuta daisuki~
, I guess this means that the show has finally reached harem status. Granted, it's the harem from hell, but if
a little romantic rivalry is what it takes to get Rikka to snap the fuck out of it, even for a second
, I guess it's not for nothing.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 1-2

I appreciate what the series is going for, in playing off the contrast between childish fantasies and mundane reality, but Rikka is so annoying it hurts. I guess she's supposed to be that way, but it doesn't do anything for me. With a few exceptions I find the character interaction bland and uninteresting, and since, aside from the one delusional action scene, the character interaction is all this has, there's really nothing here for me, sadly.

In addition, while the animation quality is as good as you would expect from KyoAni, the overall audiovisual presentation doesn't have that top-notch layer of polish that drew me into Nichijou and Hyouka. I blame the lackluster soundtrack.

Has anyone read the light novels?

The anime is making up most of its material from scratch, so I don't think knowledge of the LN would be helpful in this case.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm surprised that people don't like Rikka, considering the multitude of barely functional and socially awkward characters that litter anime. lol

K-ON!! Episode 17

One of the burning questions is finally raised, why does Mio continue to write the bands lyrics, when she's clearly terrible at it? So everyone has else tries their hand at it, with wildly vary results, Yui goes food-crazy, Mugi goes Mugi, Ritsu presumably doesn't even bother, whilst Azusa goes all tsundere ...for a turtle. Mio also tries to remain relevant, with the expected outcome.

The latter half of the episode was centered around the club-room being snatched away from them, which was nice in that it showed us parts of the school we haven't seen before, painting it in an entirely different light to how I viewed it previously. Everything is usually so encapsulated around the static nature of the band, that I'd always pictured Sakura High as a completely idyllic (not to mention, quiet school), so there was something of a dissonance in seeing it suddenly bustling with activity.

Yui's savant mode kicks in once more, as she manages to write a genuine song about Ui, which was probably triggered more by her inability to cook properly more than anything!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! Episode 18

So, the K-ON!! experience has become meta now? Well, it at least seems that way, with the entire class deciding to ship Ritsu x Mio in an entirely unsubtle way. I mean, it's all far too convenient to be anything other than a calculated plan, right? Even Mugi is extremely accommodating to this end.

Naturlly, upon hearing the news of her starring role, Mio gives a perfectly reasonable reaction, but everyone has reached the point where they are willing to call her up on her behavior. Although, Ritsu doesn't exactly react well to their predicament either. They should be more like Tree G!

I've been complaining that Mio plays like too much of a caricature at times, sure, people have their anxiety and confidence issues, but it's often taken to extreme end of the spectrum with her, and it does become a little jarring to me. It has been addressed previously, but I've been hoping it wouldn't be forgotten, so I'm glad that this episode took a turn where it did.

And with all that, the band undergo a training-arc, some practice to fix Mio's confidence problem.

And it ends on a cliff-hanger?! I don't know what to believe anymore...
KMyrN.gif

Mio never felt caricatured to to me in the fact that I was just like her in high school
and for the most part still am...
It would explain why I like her so much.
...aside from the boobs.

Soma

I'm surprised that people don't like Rikka, considering the multitude of barely functional and socially awkward characters that litter anime. lol

Yeah I was worried that I would loathe her judging from the preview art and videos but I actually quite like her character. The dynamics between her and Yuuta are entertaining and her little shtick pretty endearing.

At the very least she's not as despicable as the unholy hellspawn known as Haruhi.

OceanBlue

I think it's kinda funny how Rikka managed to end up on same season as a show about an actual socially incompetent, barely functional girl. Rikka's just awkward in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom