• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Perhaps I'd find Chuunibyou more interesting if Rikka's antics were contrasted against the gloomy drudgery of a high-tension educational environment instead of the idealized high school life presented in the show. I wouldn't mind her delusions being a form of "liberation" from the pressure to succeed.

I suppose that could work, but high school wasnt drudgery.
It was actually rather fun and interesting.

Which item is depressing: that most of the students are 'dead'? or that crazy antics are better than that?

If you teach elementary into JHS into HS, it's even more painful to watch the evolution of a lot of the kids.

They go from super energetic awesomeness, to little zombies, and then they sort of even out in HS, sometimes. JHS is where you see them slowly die inside. >.>

My crazy kids may be crazy and a bit socially awkward, but they're enthusiastic. I take what I can get. XD

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I suppose that could work, but high school wasnt drudgery.
It was actually ratber fun and interesting.

You didn't go to high school in Japan!

I can't speak with authority on what it's like, but it can't possibly be as lax as the American public educational system.

Kagami

New pickups for this week.

A5bUoKKCYAEYu9w.jpg

I noticed I have a good amount of harem comedies.
MajiKoi cover looks SDBurton-approved.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SDBurton, what are must watch Yuri shows? I want to experience it

Oh snap! Listing off a few to start with.

- Simoun *
- Maria-sama ga Miteru*
- Aoi Hana*
- Sasameki Koto
- Re: Cutie Honey
- Revolutionary Girl Utena*
- Oniisama e...*
- Candy Boy
- Battle Athletes
- Maria Holic

....ugh

- Strawberry Panic

Here's the thing. I'd say start off with Simoun personally. Awesome story, memorable characters, and fantastic music to boot. Watch it, watch it, watch it!

Maria-sama ga Miteru is definitely up there for me, but this beast is a gauntlet. 4 seasons (1 of which is an OVA) will keep you occupied for some time. After you finish it you must choose a family among the three: Chinensis, Gigantea, and Foetida. This anime is classy as hell.

Aoi Hana has a more 'realistic', 'down to earth' vibe in contrast to the other shows listed. A very solid show and one that simply cannot be ignored.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is probably what the majority will tell you to start with. I'd agree with them if they were talking about the movie specifically, but you may appreciate it more like me if you watched the television series before it.

Oniisama e... has drama like nobody's business. It also has one of my favorite characters to date, as she puts up with no one's shit. Respect!

Which item is depressing: that most of the students are 'dead'? or that crazy antics are better than that?

I was thinking more the former, but I guess the latter could work too.

Perhaps I'd find Chuunibyou more interesting if Rikka's antics were contrasted against the gloomy drudgery of a high-tension educational environment instead of the idealized high school life presented in the show. I wouldn't mind her delusions being a form of "liberation" from the pressure to succeed.

That would be interesting, but it would also mean the show couldn't be a comedy anymore. At least, it would have to be a black comedy.

Samples are out and it's a dud compare to her usual standards personally. It's very reminisce of her work for Gokusen except worse, but all is forgiven with Zetsuen~

Eh, it might not be her best work but it seems fine to me. Even if I didn't feel that way, I don't think "Because the Fuse soundtrack was bad, any future movie scores by Oshima will also be bad" is a valid argument. Unless her previous film scores have been lackluster; I haven't heard any of them.

Chuu2Koi 03

Secret sixth ranger!

Not a bad episode. I do like how they toss in random action moments or more like give us an action minute after a bunch of normal school stuff.

Nap girl is pretty adorable. Don't care about hair girl really.

Soma

- Simoun *
- Maria-sama ga Miteru*
- Aoi Hana*
- Sasameki Koto
- Oniisama e...*
- Candy Boy
- Battle Athletes
- Maria Holic

....ugh

- Strawberry Panic
*saves this list for... future reference*

I've actually been meaning to watch Aoi Hana and Utena.

If you teach elementary into JHS into HS, it's even more painful to watch the evolution of a lot of the kids.

They go from super energetic awesomeness, to little zombies, and then they sort of even out in HS, sometimes. JHS is where you see them slowly die inside. >.>

My crazy kids may be crazy and a bit socially awkward, but they're enthusiastic. I take what I can get. XD

I'm sure the schooling system is worse in this regard in Japan than America, but I'm still glad I was homeschooled.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

- Simoun *
- Maria-sama ga Miteru*
- Aoi Hana*
- Sasameki Koto
- Oniisama e...*
- Candy Boy
- Battle Athletes
- Maria Holic

....ugh

- Strawberry Panic

Here's the thing. I'd say start off with Simoun personally. Awesome story, memorable characters, and fantastic music to boot. Watch it, watch it, watch it!

Maria-sama ga Miteru is definitely up there for me, but this beast is a gauntlet. 4 seasons (1 of which is an OVA) will keep you occupied for some time. After you finish it you must choose a family among the three: Chinensis, Gigantea, and Foetida. This anime is classy as hell.

Aoi Hana has a more 'realistic', 'down to earth' vibe in contrast to the other shows listed. A very solid show and one that simply cannot be ignored.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is probably what the majority will tell you to start with. I'd agree with them if they were talking about the movie specifically, but you may appreciate it more like me if you watched the television series before it.

Oniisama e... has drama like nobody's business. It also has one of my favorite characters to date, as she puts up with no one's shit. Respect!

The only real yuri show there is Aoi Hana though!

Narag

Kaiji 17

Seems like it'd been better to choose the eye to keep your opponent from being able to read you as well rather than the ear as the first loss would be crushing.
I think only two hands were played too. It's like this shouldn't really work but the show is so masterful in how it creates these "in the moment" situations that the slower progression really doesn't matter.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I understand what you're saying. I was just misunderstanding at first. I definitely agree that the show portrays people with chuunibyou as distanced from society. It's interesting that Chu2koi suggests that it's primarily the fault of the "sufferers", as people continuously try to include Rikka in conversations and she doesn't follow along. Apparently Aura is also about chuunibyou, but considering it's written by Romeo Tanaka and it's from the staff of Jinrui, it'll probably approach chuunibyou in a less optimistic way.

You know, regarding how other people try to include Rikka, it really astounds me just how forgiving and accepting Rikka's fellow classmates are. I know that the show is a comedy so there's not going to be any "nail sticking out and getting hammered down" business as would occur in real life with extreme prejudice, but take for example the cheerleading tryout scene in this episode--Rikka starts rambling off her nonsense, and the response of one of the other girls is to the effect of "I have no idea what she's saying, but whatever!" and the cheer routine continues.

This is the most tolerant student body on the planet! How can't one be at least a little frustrated by someone who's given an improbable number of opportunities to gain acceptance and turns them all down, heh.

Seems like it!

(Rikka > Yayoi?)

I'm just tsuntsun for Rikka, not tsundere!

That would be interesting, but it would also mean the show couldn't be a comedy anymore. At least, it would have to be a black comedy.

True, and for all the problems that I have with individual aspects of the show, I like the product as a whole. If I were the one adapting this material I'd probably be blacklisted from the anime industry for life!

Emitan

The way her shirt is drawn bothers me.
Clothing doesn't conform to a chest like that with those lines.

It's actually kind of annoying. I get it! You want us to see her boobs. SHIRTS DON'T WORK THIS WAY!

Not that I know what having big boobs is like ;~;

Nafe

Smile PreCure! Episode 35

Haha, this episode was so much fun. Usually I only watch an episode once but I saw this one days ago and the re-watched it again.

There's just so many great moments in this one. You have Yayoi all nerding out, the sporty girls being all disinterested because it's too Otaku I guess, the reactions, the reaction faces and the amazing voices to go along with all of those. Akai Oni and his high pitched "Beamu!" haha.

The twist of
Yayoi not knowing how to actually operate the robot.
When the girls first sit her down and her "Huh?". Reika not only has a good memory but she's an amazingly fast reader haha. It looks like the decor
are becoming a bit of an asset this arc.
All those parents looking depressed at the beginning but
naturally happy in the end.
The whole episode is full of great moments.

Next episode looks like it will be pretty interesting too even though the ending will be fairly obvious. Not sure if that type of theme has been done in a PreCure yet.

Last but not least... This Episodes Jan Ken Pon with Yayoi!

Me:Rock
Yayoi:
Scissors

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kickstart it!
No one even wants to bring the manga out here! lol

Getting creepy? I thought that threshold was busted years ago.
Around the time when these things crossed the 20k post barrier!

Smile PreCure! Episode 35

Last but not least... This Episodes Jan Ken Pon with Yayoi!

Me:Rock
Yayoi:
Scissors
I don't know why, but this made more laugh more than I should have. lol

jbug617

Banned
Don't mention it! Let me know what you pick so I can be on the lookout for your impressions.

I think I want to start with Maria Holic. It seems lighthearted and since it takes place in a school maybe it has a interesting cast of characters.

Candy Boy description doesn't sound bad.

I think I want to focus on Romance Comedy.

OceanBlue

You know, regarding how other people try to include Rikka, it really astounds me just how forgiving and accepting Rikka's fellow classmates are. I know that the show is a comedy so there's not going to be any "nail sticking out and getting hammered down" business as would occur in real life with extreme prejudice, but take for example the cheerleading tryout scene in this episode--Rikka starts rambling off her nonsense, and the response of one of the other girls is to the effect of "I have no idea what she's saying, but whatever!" and the cheer routine continues.

This is the most tolerant student body on the planet! How can't one be at least a little frustrated by someone who's given an improbable number of opportunities to gain acceptance and turns them all down, heh.

That's what I was thinking with the drama club scene. The organizer obviously looked irritated and everyone had a surprised or, in Yuuta's case, an exasperated look, but they just let her do her thing. I don't really have that many problems with Rikka's behavior, but that sort of disregard for others' courtesy bothers me.

Well, that wasn't really enough for me to be bothered with Rikka as a whole. You're right that, as a comedy, there isn't going to be some extreme prejudice going on. You do see hints of it in Yuuta's friend mentioning that Yuuta was in a strange hobby club, though. It's the small things like this that are probably going to build up into Yuuta's major character conflict.

The school reminds me of K-On's setting in that the students are really pleasant and everything's nice and idea. Lol, I don't mind that at all though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I think I want to start with Maria Holic. It seems lighthearted and since it takes place in a school maybe it has a interesting cast of characters.

Candy Boy description doesn't sound bad.

I think I want to focus on Romance Comedy.

I think I want to start with Maria Holic. It seems lighthearted

I think I want to start with Maria Holic.

:O

Jbug617, read this as slowly as you can.

You just became one of my favorite posters.

Narag

Naruto 86

Never realized how close I was to the Tsunade stuff back in the day. Also shame about
Sasuke
dying. I can only imagine the show will be better from here on out though. R.I.P.

cajunator

Banned
Just assume I haven't seen anything unless it's super popular.

(Don't let Hitokage know I haven't seen Sailor Moon!)

Well its a really cute show.
Part of the whole android maid thing that was big in the 90's.
Kurumi and the other androids are brought to life with a kiss and the android girl becomes very attached to whoever kissed her.
So if a android kisses another android...well you know.
Plus it has some nudity in it so I wouldnt recommend imagesearching it at work.
The show is fun, perverted, and really cute.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Geneijin

Eh, it might not be her best work but it seems fine to me. Even if I didn't feel that way, I don't think "Because the Fuse soundtrack was bad, any future movie scores by Oshima will also be bad" is a valid argument. Unless her previous film scores have been lackluster; I haven't heard any of them.
Her best work will be Zetsuen. Of course it wouldn't be her best!

And yes, it's not a valid argument (wasn't making that one argument, but that's besides the point), but I'm less optimistic of her future film scores she's being assigned this year as Zetsuen is known to be 2-cours, and Fuse has not shown the same brilliance heard in Zetsuen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom