• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like Rikka.
Me too!

Yeah I was worried that I would loathe her judging from the preview art and videos but I actually quite like her character. The dynamics between her and Yuuta are entertaining and her little shtick pretty endearing.

At the very least she's not as despicable as the unholy hellspawn known as Haruhi.
The difference between Rikka and Haruhi is that Rikka's not entirely selfish I suppose.

It's just weird though, I don't really find her insufferable for whatever reason. I mean, Bokuhagawaganai has a character who basically suffers from the same delusions - she believes she's a goth vampire or something - but Rikka actually feels like a character while the other character is basically a quaint loli for the harem.

Where did I say I like all the other barely functional and socially awkward characters in anime?
I guess my implication is that those adjectives apply to nearly all anime characters. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm surprised that people don't like Rikka, considering the multitude of barely functional and socially awkward characters that litter anime. lol

Who says we're all being inconsistent in that regard? (Although, I probably am.)

Even so, "barely functional and socially awkward" would be a huge step up for Rikka!

It's just weird though, I don't really find her insufferable for whatever reason. I mean, Bokuhagawaganai has a character who basically suffers from the same delusions - she believes she's a goth vampire or something - but Rikka actually feels like a character while the other character is basically a quaint loli for the harem.

Kobato was even more insufferable!

Narag

Looks like there's also a Gatchaman OVA (with Umetsu designs too), but I guess that's it.

We could count Tekkaman Blade among those types of remakes, but it's a TV show, and I think it's considered to be good by most people.

I adore that Gatchaman OVA more than I should. It's compressed material so the melodrama is even more silly and the action never stops.

Narag

SSO 28

Gee, thanks for the recap episode Toei. It sure was fun seeing glimpses of all the nice animation (a.k.a the only good things about this series all) compressed into one episode. It sure was great being reminded that I spent all that time to sit down and watch all 28 episodes of this series as I quickly time skipped throughout the recap...

ssomega6a.jpg

So you're saying one should jump in at 28 and save themselves a lot of time? :lol

Jex

Courteous how? I don't know anyone who's currently watching SAO that's behind episode 3, and the episode 15 shot with the imouto isn't even a spoiler. If someone was starting to watch in the thread, I would've taken note and would've spoiler marked it. However, there's no such person from what I've read. I don't get how being courteous factors into the equation since there is no person I can demonstrate that to.

I tag stuff that's many years old that no-one in this thread is watching. That's just how it goes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who says we're all being inconsistent in that regard? (Although, I probably am.)

Even so, "barely functional and socially awkward" would be a huge step up for Rikka!
Oh come on, Rikka is not that bad. She's better than all the characters in I Want To Fuck My Brother, for one!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kobato was even more insufferable! You'll get to hear exactly what I think of the Haganai harem next season, and it won't be pretty for the most part, hahah.
Yay. lol

Theres always side character girls that is better than the main girl. eg SAO, Ano natsu.etc
That's fine (although Ichika > all) in and of itself. I just don't understand the Rikka hate is all.
Rikka's sister is the best though.

Can't think of a higher standard really.
Anime.

Also, teacher > sister.

I do genuinely think it has awesome music, not awkward music like From the New World, I really don't like some of the scoring choices in the last two episodes.

And you're doing everything possible to make me drop From the New World, aren't you?

Oh come on, Rikka is not that bad. She's better than all the characters in I Want To Fuck My Brother, for one!

Raising the bar real high there.

If Rikka just showed a little more self-awareness, like she showed signs of in the scene in the nurse's office, maybe I would be able to tolerate her. But the way she's being handled, the way she crumbles into a ball of tears at times, it just rubs me the wrong way.

OceanBlue

Do you consider Rikka barely functional? I'm kinda confused by the discussion going on right now. She never really seemed like she couldn't do things on her own to me.

Jex

And you're doing everything possible to make me drop From the New World, aren't you?

What can I say, Shigeo Komori sucks at putting music to images. It's quite unfortunate because I really like, for example, the end credits theme. You can tell he hasn't worked on many shows!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Raising the bar real high there.

If Rikka just showed a little more self-awareness, like she showed signs of in the scene in the nurse's office, maybe I would be able to tolerate her. But the way she's being handled, the way she crumbles into a ball of tears at times, it just rubs me the wrong way.
That's the only show that I remember he watched. lol

And fair enough. I just don't see it that way... But then again, it's probably because the other derpy main character this season doesn't know how underwear works.

Speaking of composers, the website for next year's Aura film (the one from the Jinrui team adapting a different LN from Jinrui author Romeo Tanaka) has announced that Michiru Oshima (Fullmetal Alchemist, Zetsuen no Tempest) will be providing its soundtrack. Now that's a good choice!

Dresden

Speaking of composers, the website for next year's Aura film (the one from the Jinrui team adapting a different LN from Jinrui author Romeo Tanaka) has announced that Michiru Oshima (Fullmetal Alchemist, Zetsuen no Tempest) will be providing its soundtrack. Now that's a good choice!

Damn good choice. Curious to see how it'll turn out.

Instro

I do genuinely think it has awesome music, not awkward music like From the New World, I really don't like some of the scoring choices in the last two episodes.

It seems to crop up during the moments of levity when the kids are just hanging out, basically the upbeat music choices have ranged from poor to ok. I do like the tracks being used for the majority of the show though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The choice between non-characters and actively repulsive characters is always a difficult one.

Do you consider Rikka barely functional? I'm kinda confused by the discussion going on right now. She never really seemed like she couldn't do things on her own to me.

She's in a self-imposed state of total social isolation (or, at least, would be if it weren't for Yuuta's infinite tolerance), which doesn't sound like much of a life beyond activities essential for survival--what I take to be the baseline for being a functional human being. She meets that baseline, but I hesitate to describe her as exceeding it. She functions normally in the society that her mind has created, but at the cost of being able to interact in any meaningful way in this society.

I wouldn't go that far now.

Which Sengoku genderflip show's Masamune is that again?

Defuser

I don't hate rikka or anything so I can't understand the hate.

Yeah, this strikes me odd, she can do things on her own. Now the girl fron Sakurasou pet is a real example of can't do things on her own

OceanBlue

She's in a self-imposed state of total social isolation (or, at least, would be if it weren't for Yuuta's infinite tolerance), which doesn't sound like much of a life beyond activities essential for survival--what I take to be the baseline for being a functional human being. She meets that baseline, but I hesitate to describe her as exceeding it.

I see. I guess I have a lower baseline for the term "barely functional," so I was reading something else from your post. Thanks for the clarification.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's the only show that I remember he watched. lol

So you only remember what I watch when it's something that I complain about? I see how it is T_T

Great news.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I see. I guess I have a lower baseline for the term "barely functional," so I was reading something else from your post. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, I'm not trying to play armchair psychologist or anything, it's just what the term evokes to me personally and not any sort of scientific definition. I'd be glad to reword my statement if it turns out that I'm wildly incorrect on how the term is meant to be used.

If I were to avoid using the word altogether, my statement would be more like "Rikka is able to feed herself, clothe herself, and obeys the basic rules of her society directly tied to her well-being like observing the law and attending school, but she's not really an active part of that society."

Maybe if you want to really boil it down into something really simple, it's the difference between "surviving" and "thriving".

She's from OniAi.

I know, it was a joke based on her appearance :p

You say that without hearing Fuse Teppō Musume no Torimonochō's music...

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Do you have reason to believe her soundtrack for Fuse is poor?

I like Rikka too! She reminds me of some of my favorite students. In JP JH and HH, I can use all the crazy antics I can get considering how dead everybody normally is.

That's just depressing.

So I'm sick and bored, I decided to compile a list of all TV anime adaptations of manga (or LNs that I read the manga of) I had already been regularly keeping up with in the last year.

Summer 2011

Dantalian no Shoka

Fall 2011

Mirai Nikki
Hunter x Hunter

Winter 2012

Nothing

Spring 2012

Zetman
Medaka Box
Sankarea
Dusk Maiden
Rock Lee SD

Summer 2012

Binbougami ga

Fall 2012

To Love Ru Darkness
Magi
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Zetsuen no Tempest
Btooom!
Code:Breaker
Litchi de Hikari Club (does this count?)
Hayate no Gotoku
Medaka Box Abnormal

I think it's gotten to the point where every single season from here on out will have something I've read :(

Instro

MAL Review said:
Little Busters! Like all works of Key this could yet be another tear jerker. Even though i was quite afraid that j.c staff would ruin the anime the 1st episode turned out to be far more better than i expected j.c staff so far has been doing a great job keeping it close to the visual novel.( yes i have played the visual novel) The story itself would deserve a 9, knowing that anything involving Jun Maeda, i can rest assure and know that the story wont disappoint. The art i would give an 8 all the characters look so kawaii >.< The music to me is really good and fits the scenes nicely a 9.The Characters are all so unique i like every one of them, but there's something wrong with komari's voice that kinda pisses me off. Even though i have only seen 2 episodes so far it was really enjoyable.
Overall- 9

I'm sure one this was one of you.

OceanBlue

Yeah, I'm not trying to play armchair psychologist or anything, it's just what the term evokes to me personally and not any sort of scientific definition. I'd be glad to reword my statement if it turns out that I'm wildly incorrect on how the term is meant to be used.

If I were to avoid using the word altogether, my statement would be more like "Rikka is able to feed herself, clothe herself, and obeys the basic rules of her society directly tied to her well-being like observing the law and attending school, but she's not really an active part of that society."

Maybe if you want to really boil it down into something really simple, it's the difference between "surviving" and "thriving".

I think I understand what you're saying. I was just misunderstanding at first. I definitely agree that the show portrays people with chuunibyou as distanced from society. It's interesting that Chu2koi suggests that it's primarily the fault of the "sufferers", as people continuously try to include Rikka in conversations and she doesn't follow along. Apparently Aura is also about chuunibyou, but considering it's written by Romeo Tanaka and it's from the staff of Jinrui, it'll probably approach chuunibyou in a less optimistic way.

I like Rikka too! She reminds me of some of my favorite students. In JP JH and HH, I can use all the crazy antics I can get considering how dead everybody normally is.

She's a cutie. ^^
Ahaha, that's an interesting way to think of it. I think she's cute too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's just depressing.

Perhaps I'd find Chuunibyou more interesting if Rikka's antics were contrasted against the gloomy drudgery of a high-tension educational environment instead of the idealized high school life presented in the show. I wouldn't mind her delusions being a form of "liberation" from the pressure to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom